Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

hemophilia posted:

"Most commonly used" is a big stretch. Maybe in 2012. I haven't heard anybody call it 'jewing' since I've come back. Maybe I've been lucky, but that term seems to be pretty naturally falling out of favor. I was worried there was a new problem and not the same thing that's been agitating people since I joined.

JU-0WQ VII - JU-rusalem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

hemophilia posted:

"Most commonly used" is a big stretch. Maybe in 2012. I haven't heard anybody call it 'jewing' since I've come back. Maybe I've been lucky, but that term seems to be pretty naturally falling out of favor. I was worried there was a new problem and not the same thing that's been agitating people since I joined.

You've been fortunate. It remains embarrassingly prevalent. Also, do you know what the GSF financial cabal is named?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Maneck posted:

You've been fortunate. It remains embarrassingly prevalent. Also, do you know what the GSF financial cabal is named?

I don't hear it very often during US prime. It's the EU prime where it's more common i've noticed. I still wouldn't call it common though.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Like, I acknowledge that it'd be hard to purge it from everyday usage. To discourage it would basically just require renaming any alliance/coalition groups or assets, and maybe telling the wiki people to edit it out when they see it.

Ugh I already feel like a dirty crusader, but I'm really amazed that people are jumping in here to claim that this pattern doesn't exist.

e. fixed my mixed construction

CommonShore fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 11, 2015

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Like, I acknowledge that it'd be hard to purge it from everyday usage. To discourage it would basically just require renaming any alliance/coalition groups or assets, and maybe telling the wiki people to edit it out when they see it.

Ugh I already feel like a dirty crusader, but I'm really amazed that people are jumping in here to deny that this pattern doesn't exist.

Yes, how dare we answer your question with our personal observations.

The loving gall.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

CainFortea posted:

Yes, how dare we answer your question with our personal observations.

The loving gall.

Observations aren't worth poo poo when they come from someone who sucks at observing.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CommonShore posted:

Observations aren't worth poo poo when they come from someone who sucks at observing.

I guess we must all have our windmills. v0v.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

CommonShore posted:

Ugh I already feel like a dirty crusader, but I'm really amazed that people are jumping in here to deny that this pattern doesn't exist.

Which side of the issue are you on, exactly?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

You're all being dumb.

Yes, people still use "jewing" to refer to ratting occasionally in TYOOL 2015. It's a hard habit to break, myself included -- probably because it's not quite as blatantly offensive as "human being" or "friend of the family" or other catchphrases of choice that people are just now training themselves to not use.

If you hear it, and it bothers you, speak up. Chances are, they'll go "oh yeah." It's not that hard.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ullerrm posted:

You're all being dumb.

Yes, people still use "jewing" to refer to ratting occasionally in TYOOL 2015. It's a hard habit to break, myself included -- probably because it's not quite as blatantly offensive as "human being" or "friend of the family" or other catchphrases of choice that people are just now training themselves to not use.

If you hear it, and it bothers you, speak up. Chances are, they'll go "oh yeah." It's not that hard.

Yeah I actually brought it up originally because I got called out on it tonight via an old ship's name. That's what got the gears going.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
so you did it and you're salty you got called out on it, gotcha

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I have heard several references to MTUs being called "Jew claws."

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Viva Miriya posted:

One of the best parts for me was book 3 when all of his people get hit on the same day. The Distaff, operatives, all that. Then the reveal on who it is that set it all up is pretty nuts.

Its good as gently caress! I just reserve the right to call out Eisenhorn for doing the dumbest poo poo whilst telling himself "the end justifies the means, I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING GOD-EMPEROR DAMNIT!"

Plus in Ravenor it is hinted that chaos blew up an entire planet trying to kill him. Eisenhorn is badass af

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

so you did it and you're salty you got called out on it, gotcha

Naw, I'm not salty about being called on it. I was really honestly just asking. I got salty when people tried to claim that I was imagining things.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

darth cookie posted:

I have heard several references to MTUs being called "Jew claws."

That's the old name for tractor beams, so yeah.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

CommonShore posted:

Naw, I'm not salty about being called on it. I was really honestly just asking. I got salty when people tried to claim that I was imagining things.

Honestly I'm surprised no-one's insinuated that you're an Afro-Jewish gay man about it yet.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

im gay

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

say it right. It's pronounced :gay:

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:
From the sov dev blog; the t1 entosis has fairly trivial fitting (10pg1cpu) but adds 250,000kg mass while active and first 5 minute cycle does nothing but "warmup"

I dont know enough about mass and propulsion to know the effects of this - this would effectively make an interceptor a dead still target yes? But at what hull size would the mass effect become trivial? Entosis BCs?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

From the sov dev blog; the t1 entosis has fairly trivial fitting (10pg1cpu) but adds 250,000kg mass while active and first 5 minute cycle does nothing but "warmup"

I dont know enough about mass and propulsion to know the effects of this - this would effectively make an interceptor a dead still target yes? But at what hull size would the mass effect become trivial? Entosis BCs?

i think the mass addition is about enough to make the interceptor catchable with a non-gimmick fitting

HappyKitty
Jul 11, 2005

Not to mention the warp restrictions while the link is cycling.

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound

Glory of Arioch posted:

i think the mass addition is about enough to make the interceptor catchable with a non-gimmick fitting

nah the mass penalty with 1mn MWD activated is 500,000kg, while mass penalty for entosis link is just half of that...... I don't think it is enough to make trollceptor catchable

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CommonShore posted:

The only person i've seen who claims you are imagining things is you claiming that people are claiming you are imagining things.

quote:

n
ah the mass penalty with 1mn MWD activated is 500,000kg, while mass penalty for entosis link is just half of that...... I don't think it is enough to make trollceptor catchable

I'm not sure how fast you could be orbiting a thing within entosis range while MWDing with the module activated. I just orbited a thing in game in a travelfit ceptor with MWD on at 20km and my speed was only about 100m/s slower than full speed straight ahead. So even if you add half again the mass I think you're right.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

The bigger issue with trollceptors is that it's impossible to fit a T2 link on them, so they have to stay within 20km and use a T1 link. A single Cerberus -- or even a Garmur -- forces them off whatever they're attacking.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ullerrm posted:

The bigger issue with trollceptors is that it's impossible to fit a T2 link on them, so they have to stay within 20km and use a T1 link. A single Cerberus -- or even a Garmur -- forces them off whatever they're attacking.
I'd figure just about anything would force a solo entosis 'ceptor to bug out. Having to stay within 20km makes it way too easy for someone to eventually get a scram on you, and if it's fit for agility and carrying the link it probably has miserable combat stats.

Also it's not impossible to make a T2 trollceptor
[Crusader, trollceptor]
Micro Auxiliary Power Core II
Inertial Stabilizers II

Limited 1MN Microwarpdrive I
Small Peroxide Capacitor Power Cell

Entosis Link II /OFFLINE
Prototype Cloaking Device I
[empty high slot]
[empty high slot]

Small Ancillary Current Router II
Small Low Friction Nozzle Joints II

(Needs a 5% power implant, warps in 2s with a plain all-5 FC, doesn't even need Sa Matra's mindlink trick. A couple of low grade Nomads work too.)

edit wait I just realized this is really dumb because it can't target over 35 km. NEVERMIND!

Klyith fucked around with this message at 06:39 on May 11, 2015

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

theta squad: heritage not hate

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ullerrm posted:

You're all being dumb.

Can I ask if this thread sparked the whole discussion?

http://www.reddit.com/r/Bravenewbies/comments/35gebm/how_racist_do_comms_have_to_get_before_they/

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 11, 2015

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Zakrello posted:

as a FCON I do recognize holesquid and will not shooting them first. seems other alliance member didn't receive that memo thru

That's appreciated (it honestly is), but the instance I'm referring to is pre-sqwid. :)

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Klyith posted:

I'd figure just about anything would force a solo entosis 'ceptor to bug out. Having to stay within 20km makes it way too easy for someone to eventually get a scram on you, and if it's fit for agility and carrying the link it probably has miserable combat stats.

Also it's not impossible to make a T2 trollceptor :ssh:
[Crusader, trollceptor]
Inertial Stabilizers II

Limited 1MN Microwarpdrive I
Small Peroxide Capacitor Power Cell

Entosis Link II /OFFLINE
Prototype Cloaking Device I
[empty high slot]
[empty high slot]

Small Ancillary Current Router II
Small Low Friction Nozzle Joints II

(Needs a 5% power implant, warps in 2s with a plain all-5 FC, doesn't even need Sa Matra's mindlink trick. A couple of low grade Nomads work too.)

edit wait I just realized this is really dumb because it can't target over 35 km. NEVERMIND!

It's pretty clear that T2 Entoceptors aren't meant to be a thing, so if a fit for one catches on Fozzie will just keep tacking on 50 grid to the fitting costs until they don't work anymore.

T1 Ceptors obviously aren't a problem because they're 20km away just shoot at them.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

Can I ask if this thread sparked the whole discussion?

Speaking as someone with an alt in BNI: their comms are WAY nastier than ours. Which is impressive, really, when you consider how bad Imperium comms are. I don't know if it's the TEST influence, or something else entirely; they drop racial slurs like it's going out of style. (Hint: It's going out of style.)

PS: I made another monthly thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZyuEgtvyCI

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Numismancer posted:

That's a feature, not a bug~

Anyhoo in Eve News (tm) not only are we having to reschedule Burn Amarr to be June-ish, we're skunkworksing on a new homeland defense organization to help defend ratters and miners, something we've never bothered to do before in the history of Goonswarm because it was literally pointless until Fozziesov hits in July. This isn't even an 'avoid entosis hacking' thing, that's mainfleet work, but a 'how do we keep our otherwise kind of silly afk ratters from dying horribly to lone interceptors' group.

Index Defense SIG, not sure what to call it, thinking of literally naming it "The Index" because I'm hopped up on tons of cold meds. Good excuse to use lots of fast anti-frig poo poo like Jackdaws and Mordus ships, zoom around Dek blowing up would-be gankers, etc.

Since I'm hopped up on cold meds I'm announcing this draft idea here, it's actually a tough nut to crack because inties are essentially uncatchable unless we literally standardize doctrines for ratting ships to ensure they have enough EHP to survive until help arrives.

The Index is a neat name.
Peacetime reimbursement incentives for approved ratting ships, PvP-capable ratting Ishtar fittings, and a Home Defense Reimbursement Bonus for defending our space. But, unfortunately, until 2s align interceptors are killed for good there's nothing really to be done about stopping a dedicated roamer like Sa Matra from getting in. The point of contact is going to have to be where ever they decide to engage, which means every ratting ship needs to be capable of fighting off small groups of interceptors until help arrives. Something that is already done, to an extent.

This means nothing, of course, because people will still rat in Ishtars designed for max ticks instead of survival no matter what we suggest. They'll just eat the loss and move on.

Magic Rabbit Hat fucked around with this message at 06:46 on May 11, 2015

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Reimbursement incentives for non-retarded carrier fittings could maybe stave off that particular embarrassment. But then again that would mean approving of ratting carriers so :effort: I don't think you'll convince people to fit proper tanks on afk Ishtars since ticks are really the only thing people care about, but maybe you can, good luck.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ullerrm posted:

Speaking as someone with an alt in BNI: their comms are WAY nastier than ours. Which is impressive, really, when you consider how bad Imperium comms are. I don't know if it's the TEST influence, or something else entirely; they drop racial slurs like it's going out of style. (Hint: It's going out of style.)

PS: I made another monthly thing. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZyuEgtvyCI

Yeah, when I had an alt in there I got a couple chuckles at how their comms were and how they'd profess elsewhere that they weren't like the other groups and their fleet comms were super firendly to everyone etc.

Also I lover your videos :allears:

Zakrello
Feb 17, 2015

missile imbound
Deklein Index Camp Keeper

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Zakrello posted:

Deklein Index Camp Keeper

No, no. We're the super serious Imperium now. Maybe we could call it something Roman inspired, like Testudo. Or we could contract CVA to do it after we've burnt their home to the ground :sun:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

So is "jewing" (and all related "eve-terms") no longer accepted as "acceptable" or not, I'm interested in that development?

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Duzzy Funlop posted:

So is "jewing" (and all related "eve-terms") no longer accepted as "acceptable" or not, I'm interested in that development?

hmm, the german has taken an interest in the jews

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

hmm, the german has taken an interest in the jews

luv u deadtear and all

but I'm legit interested in this outcome

/edit:

Of all the dumb things this thread has "agreed" on circlejerking over, how the gently caress has slowcooking not come up a single time?

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 07:41 on May 11, 2015

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
To get over my embarrassment about that dumb crusader trollceptor, I'll write about why indexes are going to be so important. It's not just the obvious of making your space harder to invade. In the comments thread of the latest sovblog, CCP mentioned that progress toward capture or reinforcement sticks around forever until reversed by the owner. It doesn't decay or regenerate at all. Entosis trolling is a real threat if you don't clean it up.

So if a random gang comes through and puts 15 minutes of reinforcement on your crap just to be force a defense fleet, you need to spend the time to un-reinforce it. Otherwise you risk having sov zits in your space just because someone finishes a reinforcement in bits and pieces. But high indexes make the cleanup way easier, since owner progress always goes at full speed. Keeping that multiplier at 5 or 6 means you can reverse in a few minutes what the other guy spend half an hour doing.

Demiurge4 posted:

Reimbursement incentives for non-retarded carrier fittings could maybe stave off that particular embarrassment. But then again that would mean approving of ratting carriers so :effort:
Check the strategic doctrine thread :sun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Klyith posted:

To get over my embarrassment about that dumb crusader trollceptor, I'll write about why indexes are going to be so important. It's not just the obvious of making your space harder to invade. In the comments thread of the latest sovblog, CCP mentioned that progress toward capture or reinforcement sticks around forever until reversed by the owner. It doesn't decay or regenerate at all. Entosis trolling is a real threat if you don't clean it up.

So if a random gang comes through and puts 15 minutes of reinforcement on your crap just to be force a defense fleet, you need to spend the time to un-reinforce it. Otherwise you risk having sov zits in your space just because someone finishes a reinforcement in bits and pieces. But high indexes make the cleanup way easier, since owner progress always goes at full speed. Keeping that multiplier at 5 or 6 means you can reverse in a few minutes what the other guy spend half an hour doing.

Check the strategic doctrine thread :sun:

quote:

Drone Control Unit in fleet hangar/fitted is instant rejection

That sems to preclude ratting carriers.

Also on the Entosis stuff that seems really similar to the spergy sov proposal I wrote but never got around to posting anywhere important due to various concerns and faults in my system. But it's very nice that using your space gives you good homefield advantages.

I still think the system doesn't do enough to encourage small alliances to settle nullsec though because I'd consider seeing megablocs (including ours) dying entirely to be preferable, if it meant that every nullsec system was worth living in with a bit of setup time.

• Locked thread