Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

15 looks kind of bullshit. Either ZUN is trying to make up for Pointdevice mode (basically turns the game into the photo games, there are a bunch of checkpoints that divide each stage into separate "scenes"), or he's really going to rebalance things later.

That Pointdevice thing sounds kind of weird. Is it like a separate mode by itself or is it something you can just go into to learn the stage, sort of like spellcard practice in 8 or 13? If its the later that actually sounds like it could be really helpful to plan out score-runs and stuff, I would have really enjoyed something like that for UFO to plan out how maximise my lives or bombs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~
It's the former, but you can basically use it like the latter. Bombs don't get restocked when you die in that mode btw, you get set back at the check point in exactly the same state you were at that moment in time (minus 0.01 power), so if you ran out of bombs before a tough section, prepare to spend 10 minutes learning how to go through it, Super Meat Boy/I Wanna Be the Guy-style.

Even aside from that, the difficulty has been seriously ramped up. I was playing on normal mode and struggling, despite being a mostly hard-mode player. Admittedly some of that was due to fatigue after a while, but holy poo poo some of those Normal-mode patterns felt like they came out of Hard or even Lunatic. All-in-all probably the hardest Touhou game to date.

In any case, I'm switching to streaming ULiL now (link again for new page). I don't care about ZUN's rules or whatever so come check it out if you wanna see ~spoilers~

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I've seen the runes on that cape before, what are they from?

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

HGH posted:

I've seen the runes on that cape before, what are they from?

Norse runes?

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

amuayse posted:

Also another character:
Doremy Sweet the Baku
Her title is "Ruler of Dreams"

http://imgur.com/gK4VC8o

Oh check it out it's a Drowzee.

Could her name also be Romanized as Sweet Dreamy?

Oh, and here's a list of everyone's urban legend motif in the new game, and the story behind it. Byakuren's is apparently Turbo Granny

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Oh check it out it's a Drowzee.

Could her name also be Romanized as Sweet Dreamy?

I've seen Dreamy catching on cuz, hey, that's her theme, but I like Doremy/Doremi cuz it's like the musical notes. :shobon:

TURBO GRANNY :hellyeah:

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

Owns

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I did some quick, dirty translation of the LoLK character profiles. The two rabbits are, as you'd expect, part of an investigation squad from the moon, called Eagle Rabbit. They're old war buddies with Reisen. One has the the power to shoot bullets from another dimension and the other gets stronger by eating dango. For... some reason.

Doremy is a Baku who lives in the dream world and eats dreams and stuff. And creates dreams. Since anything can happen in dreams, it's possible for people to abuse the dream world to, like, teleport and stuff so she also acts as a guardian to prevent abuse. Naturally, the heroes are trying to abuse it.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

She really is Wario

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

Also owns

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

When I first saw the trailer I thought the best thing about the urban legend stuff would be Miko seemingly whisking people to another dimension within her cape so she could pose dramatically to get a power up.

I am so glad I was wrong.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

The first thing I heard of this was a bunch of Pixiv fanart of people laughing at Byakuren and calling her "Turbo Hag."

But now I figure they were all just jealous of that sweet bike.

Maximum Chenergy
Aug 30, 2007

Its black mist swallows all.

Checkpoint mode is actually really incredible, because if you have to close the game and go do other stuff you can just load up back to where you were before with a character on any given difficulty no sweat. The bombs thing is kind of weird to get used to, and the fact you lose .01 power each time you retry seems almost random, but it's a really interesting change to the formula.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Mamizou has a neuralizer

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I'm glad SMT prepared me for Turbo-Granny.
Yup, thanks for the link.

And here's ZUN setting up shop:

What kind of computers are those? I've never seen so many disk drives.

EDIT: And new girl+Kasen's themes.

HGH fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 10, 2015

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Clarste posted:

the other gets stronger by eating dango. For... some reason.

Isn't that part of the moon viewing thing? You'd eat mochi and dango and other round, white things while doing it.

And of course Reimu has something to do with Gap women. She can't avoid it anymore.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Huh, the last boss uses a Liberator.

Nice to see Touhou tackle controversial libertarian issues.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

HGH posted:

What kind of computers are those? I've never seen so many disk drives.
They're CD-R burners.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
I'm glad Zatanna is in Touhou now.

Sorta.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
The Mamizou transformations are back:

The grand return of someone's favorite doofy ghost!
Mokou gets turned into a flaming rat. The irony hurts.
Kasen's not included, she gets turned into a snake.

HGH fucked around with this message at 17:04 on May 10, 2015

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Grumpy fox Reimu is still the best.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
It is Mima

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

There are a few bugs in the Touhou 15 trial. This is one of the more amusing ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okSJWabn1Oo

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Pureauthor posted:

Grumpy fox Reimu is still the best.

Nice to see scowling Alphes Reimu still exists

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Grumpy fox Reimu is adorable.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I like flying turtle Nitori

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Miko was an elegant owl with headphones compared to everyone else being goofy, so I always liked that best. But now, I don't think anyone can possibly beat the return of Doofy Ghost (but now with a cape and sweet hat).

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

HellCopter posted:

But now I figure they were all just jealous of that sweet bike.

poo poo, I'm jealous of that sweet bike, and the capes everyone seems to be wearing.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Wow Kasen sure hosed everything up.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

DOOFY GHOST
/

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Hey I'm here to say all the music for the new games owns, especially this one also I don't want to switch to Japanese locale so I can't play Urban Legend in Limbo. Dang. (At least, running it in AppLocale didn't even start the program, so that might not be it and be something else, I don't know)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mighty Dicktron posted:

Hey I'm here to say all the music for the new games owns, especially this one also I don't want to switch to Japanese locale so I can't play Urban Legend in Limbo. Dang. (At least, running it in AppLocale didn't even start the program, so that might not be it and be something else, I don't know)

Yeah, they're all great. I wasn't really feeling Kasen's theme in the Ulil trailer, but the full version is a lot nicer. I particularly like Last Occultist, it's a good final boss track.

amuayse posted:

Wow Kasen sure hosed everything up.

How? What'd she do.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Aside from everything in WaHH?

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Spoilers for ULiL she punched a hole in Gensokyo's border. This is also what allowed and/or caused the Lunarians to invade in LoLK.

Kasen is good people like that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

WarpedNaba posted:

Aside from everything in WaHH?

She killed her own baby dragon in cold blood. Kasen is loving hardcore and I will not easily accept people insulting her. :colbert:

a cartoon duck posted:

Spoilers for ULiL she punched a hole in Gensokyo's border. This is also what allowed and/or caused the Lunarians to invade in LoLK.

Kasen is good people like that.

I am glad Kasen has become an eco-terrorist or something. At least I assume that's why she hates the barrier, since she she likes animals and stuff. No, seriously. It's a legitimately interesting point of characterisation. Much cooler than "Wait. Maybe she's an Oni!?!?".

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"
I think the comic hinted in a chapter or two that Kasen believes her missing arm is in the outside world, so that motive seems more likely.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Whatever the case is she plans on possibly causing great damage to Gensokyo as a whole for her own goals. And that's pretty cool.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Speaking of character development. I'm glad Reisen seems to have chilled out from her previous pompous moon attitude, even though she'd probably still brag about stuff (but then again, who doesn't in this series?). And there's of a "Oh woe is me I'm working with crazy people" stuff. Or at least that's what being implied in stage 3 I think. Lots of talking about doing your duties too.
I wonder if they'll bring Chang'e in the full game.

Also, is Doremy supposed to be a tapir?

EDIT: Man, taking another look at this Playism situation and the whole thing seems like self-sabotage.

HGH fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 11, 2015

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that 15 is shaping up to be the hardest Touhou game ever. Anyone else notice that the stage 3 boss's second-to-last spellcard will instakill you if you're at the edge of the screen when it starts?