Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
Maybe a wise course of action would be testing all qualified sailors again, seeing what the majority got right and then restructuring the pins around what is ultimately used, taking into account rating-specific knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Analogical posted:

Maybe a wise course of action would be testing all qualified sailors again, seeing what the majority got right and then restructuring the pins around what is ultimately used, taking into account rating-specific knowledge.

Wise is not what the navy does very well.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Analogical posted:

I don't think further reducing the scope of training to tribal knowledge is a worthwhile training platform. Its essentially the process that the qual program seems designed to avoid. Just keep qual cards up to date with equipment and procedural revisions and the program should continue to function effectively. Having to look up correct answers to obscure system characteristics should be informative to both the person giving the checkout and the person receiving the checkout.

Getting qualified was easy. The whole process was easily one of the most valuable aspects of the whole navy experience imo

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 03:58 on May 11, 2015

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Sir Lucius posted:

It brought me no sense of accomplishment, and the only reason I did it is so my chain wouldn't get pissed off at me.

This is my career TBH.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
MCPON coming down from on high saying "All Sailors must get their pin" pretty much removed any remaining value in doing so.

germskr
Oct 23, 2007

HAHAHA! Ahh Eeeee BPOOF!
But... but it looks so cool when someone signs off an email with:

V/r,

PO1/2/3(SW/AW/SCWS/EXW/FMF/IDW/DV/PJ) Smuckatelli

sorry if I left out your particular pin

I hate that poo poo. Why don't the nobles do that? Oh because it's stupid and dick waving. Also, nobody wants to brag about being a SWO. Kidding. Kind of.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

On the other hand, some nobles like to put LCDR(sel) which is a surefire indicator you are dealing with a raging tool.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

germskr posted:

But... but it looks so cool when someone signs off an email with:

V/r,

PO1/2/3(SW/AW/SCWS/EXW/FMF/IDW/DV/PJ) Smuckatelli

sorry if I left out your particular pin

I hate that poo poo. Why don't the nobles do that? Oh because it's stupid and dick waving. Also, nobody wants to brag about being a SWO. Kidding. Kind of.

People do that in the civilian world, too. Then again, PhD's usually earn their prefixes and suffixes.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Oh good, the threads back to email signatures.

Circle of life.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I just hate the stupid quotes people throw in their signatures. They're just so deep.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Boon posted:

I just hate the stupid quotes people throw in their signatures. They're just so deep.

"Mission First, People Always"

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

vulturesrow posted:

On the other hand, some nobles like to put LCDR(sel) which is a surefire indicator you are dealing with a raging tool.

The gently caress is sel?

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013

Pandasmores posted:

Selected

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Pandasmores posted:

Officers don't frock so they find out about their promotions sometimes almost a year in advance and are stuck waiting until the day. Some dickbags think that makes them effectively the higher rank already merely by being selected.

Susa
Apr 27, 2013

Boon posted:

They banned them at the hospital, makes for a lot less scrolling through volunteer event emails.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

vulturesrow posted:

I once saw a conversation like so...

*JO signs a couple emails as "LCDR(Sel) Timmy*
XO: Hey LT Timmy, do you know what a LCDR(Sel) is?
LT Timmy: What?
XO: A loving LIEUTENANT!
*cue LT Timmy getting made fun of FOREVA*

The only time that's acceptable is if it's CAPT(Sel) or RDML(Sel) or above in my opinion...

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
Nah still dumb. Even worse with chief (sel). Bitch you still a first class I don't give a poo poo

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Fart Sandwiches posted:

Nah still dumb. Even worse with chief (sel). Bitch you still a first class I don't give a poo poo

There is a huge, HUGE difference between someone picked up for Chief, and someone picked up for O6 or a star. For all intents and purposes, the military considers O6+ to be senior officers which comes with additional trappings. I'd say use of "Sel" would be warranted, especially depending on billet/position.

edit: but yes, in 99.998% of use cases its completely ridiculous and most O's I know do not do it because LOTS of ridicule would ensue.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

I've seen CTI2 (select) before in an email so I forwarded it to DIVO with a "FYSA" to see if she'd see it or not. It was the same sig block that listed 12 different navy "assistant" collateral positions. How long do you even have to wait to get frocked? I mean poo poo.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this

buttplug posted:

There is a huge, HUGE difference between someone picked up for Chief, and someone picked up for O6 or a star. For all intents and purposes, the military considers O6+ to be senior officers which comes with additional trappings. I'd say use of "Sel" would be warranted, especially depending on billet/position.

edit: but yes, in 99.998% of use cases its completely ridiculous and most O's I know do not do it because LOTS of ridicule would ensue.

Nah still dumb

bengy81
May 8, 2010
I'm gonna start signing my posts or emails

Mr. Bengy81 (CIV/FYGM/8===D~~~~)

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
Don't forget a stupid moto quote like "What kind are those planes?". -ADM H E Kimmel

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013
My personal favorites are the ones that request a title change in outlook/exchange to reflect their (SEL) status. Pure amusement there.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Chuckle posted:

My personal favorites are the ones that request a title change in outlook/exchange to reflect their (SEL) status. Pure amusement there.

You've actually witnessed that? That is beyond doucebaggery somewhere into the realm of pathetic.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Chuckle posted:

lol

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

vulturesrow posted:

You've actually witnessed that? That is beyond doucebaggery somewhere into the realm of pathetic.

I have received requests for this, if I had access to my old PST from my previous command I would copy/paste one of these e-mails here.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

vulturesrow posted:

That sounds like something JOPA would do to a hinge-to-be who left his computer unlocked. Like when we changed a guy's GAL title to "Squadron Morale Officer".

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013

vulturesrow posted:

I get it every time here at the Airwing especially on the boat. Mostly CPO selects, only one officer so far, but he was shamed endlessly for it.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Chuckle posted:

I get it every time here at the Airwing especially on the boat. Mostly CPO selects, only one officer so far, but he was shamed endlessly for it.

As he should be.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Much like getting your warfare pin to get people off your back, during selection season you would catch a ration of poo poo from ~*certain*~ current and retired :chiefsay:. Is it stupid? Yup. Did all of us spend the 2 seconds to send the email to NMCI to not have to hear about it? We did. Anyway, thanks for reading, G-d bless.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Better add in your D&D titles and your achievements in video games.

V/r,

Pandasmores, the Untouched, the First of His Name, the Destroyer of the Unclean, the Dungeon Master of the Pure, the Weird

Pandasmores fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 12, 2015

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Chuckle posted:

You see folks in the Army/AF do this kind of thing (but it's also socially accempted to use Sel/P (for promotable) in those branches). However, their officers wait *forever* to put on after being selected. Like, upwards of a fiscal year and a half sometimes...

Sarkazm
Sep 26, 2008

Not your father's Sarkazmobile.

Chuckle posted:

As CPO Selects, we were told we had to have (SEL) added to our emails. It was endlessly stupid. Basically, all the (SEL) did was designate us as "Oh, this is one of the dudes getting hosed with endlessly".

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Not even chiefs are above hazing! Don't forget to report all hazing up your chain!

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Sir Lucius posted:

Not even chiefs are above hazing! Don't forget to report all hazing up your chain!

No one ever got hazed physically on my boat.

Because the last guy it happened to killed himself after the fleet Admiral tried to blame him for it.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

ded posted:

Because the last guy it happened to killed himself after the fleet Admiral tried to blame him for it.

I mean, he wasn't wrong.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
I always thought hazing was supposed to get the poo poo folks out of circulation so they wouldn't endanger someone else in a combat situation. Sounds like the mission got accomplished

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Booblord Zagats posted:

I always thought hazing was supposed to get the poo poo folks out of circulation so they wouldn't endanger someone else in a combat situation. Sounds like the mission got accomplished

i dont think having dolphins tacked on qualifies.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
So SECNAV just rolled a grenade into PERS. The next few months should be fun to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I'm half way through and this is the basically the best thing that I've read during my career.

E: If half of what is in there comes to pass, it'll be a wild success for the Navy. Holy poo poo.

Boon fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 13, 2015

• Locked thread