Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Prop Wash posted:

The goon was mad because the kickstarter was likely already 100% privately funded and going to come out regardless of how much or little money made it into the kickstarter, which is a lovely thing if you're hiding it but in the case of Yooka Laylee they're pretty up front about it. So you're basically just pre-ordering a game through a website, but there is a point to be made that maybe Kickstarter shouldn't just be a glorified pre-order website for the big players.

Thankfully kickstarter won't just become a pre-order site, the big players won't edge 12-year-olds with mega man games out, and goons will never stop posting about what other goons like to do.

And I don't get why the fact that it's already funded should be a controversial point. If they can get extra funding to make a better game, they should be all the more for it. Plus, the fact they say, "We plan on using personal finances", makes it sound like they're going to put mortgages on their everything and pray to god that people like their game. And at this point, it seems unnecessarily risky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Noyemi K posted:

I'm surprised these people are able to bilk so much out of an economically strained population.

Its the upper class who are creating the economic strain. They've got money to burn.

Nagato posted:

Banjo Kazooie was great, but I'm kind of stunned that hundreds of people paid $500 for a souvenir of a spinoff game, 15 people paid $5k each to cameo in it, and 10 people paid $8k to listen to Banjo Kazooie music being played by an orchestra.

This really is what Kickstarter is for: providing mind-bogglingly expensive "exclusive" pop culture experiences for the ultra-rich.

Unironically this is the reality of kickstarter.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Kickstarters are funny when they are idiots who have no idea what they are doing asking for money for projects that are way over their head. Also when the project is an obvious scam and completely unfeasible.

StarCitizen.txt

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

Edward_Tohr posted:

To be fair, I'd rather give my money to the guys who are openly fleecing me than repeat the "We got more than ten times our funding goal, so let's ask for even more money, then get another publisher on-board to cut our costs further" fiasco from Mighty Number 9.

Didn't know they also had two more pushes for 200k each in 2014. That's pretty gross.

From wikipedia:
" On 6 July 2014, there was another crowd funding campaign for bonus content. The first stretch goal is to raise $200,000 for full English voice acting in the game.[18]

On 30 October 2014, Comcept asked via their kickstarter page for an additional $198,000 to complete a DLC stage introducing Beck's rival: Ray.[19]"

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

Zaphod42 posted:

Its the upper class who are creating the economic strain. They've got money to burn.

Ah yeah, makes sense

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

yeah man how dare those guys ask for money?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

He stopped posting after he got chased out of YCS for stealing their jokes in his reviews but he still shows up in the "Members Browsing..." forum lists every now and then.

Why do you even know this?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

Why do you even know this?

Yahtzee was a known YCS poster at the time, he had a thread in there when his reviews blew up and everything

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

The thing about the Yooka Laylee Kickstarter is that people bitch "Its already made and funded why do we pay for this."

And a minute later, for another kickstarter they go "You have nothing to show us why would we pay you!?"

It's quite amusing.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Michaellaneous posted:

The thing about the Yooka Laylee Kickstarter is that people bitch "Its already made and funded why do we pay for this."

And a minute later, for another kickstarter they go "You have nothing to show us why would we pay you!?"

It's quite amusing.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Michaellaneous posted:

It's quite amusing.

How droll. How utterly mirthful. What fools these children are.

-strokes beard thoughtfully, imagining one's self to sound like a cool wizard like Gandalf crossed with a badass kung-fu master like the one from Kill Bill-

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Michaellaneous posted:

It's quite amusing.

Perhaps the same could be said of all kickstarters !!

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Michaellaneous posted:

It's quite amusing.

I wanna be like Mike.

Mildly Amusing
May 2, 2012

room temperature

Sleeveless posted:

-strokes beard thoughtfully, imagining one's self to sound like a cool wizard like Gandalf crossed with a badass kung-fu master like the one from Kill Bill-

sorry your kickstarter didn't get funded, dude

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

your posts could use some kickstarting on how to be funny

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Yahtzee was a known YCS poster at the time, he had a thread in there when his reviews blew up and everything

Lowtax offered him some tiny amount of money to do his reviews for the front page.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 13 days!

Sleeveless posted:

Nobody's mad, it's just really funny that they're so openly fleecing people and there are people are so desperate to recapture the fuzzy nostalgia of playing the original games as kids that they're still giving them thousands of dollars anyways.

its literally just a project saying "we'll make it anyway from our own pocket, but if people want to donate we can make the game bigger and release it on other platforms which we wouldn't be able to do otherwise" and then people donated. you're getting v mad over something that isn't an issue in even the slightest way

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Stux posted:

its literally just a project saying "we'll make it anyway from our own pocket, but if people want to donate we can make the game bigger and release it on other platforms which we wouldn't be able to do otherwise" and then people donated. you're getting v mad over something that isn't an issue in even the slightest way
Divinty Original Sin did pretty much the exact same thing and people bitched too. It's not that hard of a concept to get your head around but some people just have to make up things to be bitter about.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

I mean, if we are fair here, the way Divinty and Yooka Laylee uses Kickstarter was probably not how it was intended in the first place.

But then again, everyone could have told them that there are only so few projects who will manage to go from 0 to 100. If you want money, you need something to show. Simply saying "This is my idea and I have done nothing but I need all this" does only work in the rarest of cases.

That being said, I think that what they are doing at the moment ("Hey we have all this already, help us make this even better") is the way to go.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sleeveless posted:

Nobody's mad, it's just really funny that they're so openly fleecing people and there are people are so desperate to recapture the fuzzy nostalgia of playing the original games as kids that they're still giving them thousands of dollars anyways.

The only way I could see them to be fleecing people is if they go ahead and take all the money and don't provide the backer rewards. As it stands, paying the same price at preorder really isn't fleecing in the least. :shrug:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Nintendo Kid posted:

The only way I could see them to be fleecing people is if they go ahead and take all the money and don't provide the backer rewards.

That cartoonist who had a successful KS and even had the books printed but then went crazy and burned them all rather than sending them to people has everyone beat, but they were genuinely messed up so I don't think that counts as a scam.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That cartoonist who had a successful KS and even had the books printed but then went crazy and burned them all rather than sending them to people has everyone beat, but they were genuinely messed up so I don't think that counts as a scam.

Nah, that cartoonist actually mailed out most of them normally, they only snapped like 2/3 of the way through.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
I could see people being justifiably mad if big projects like Yooka-Laylee pulled money away from smaller projects, but I'm pretty sure it's been shown that the exact opposite actually happens, in that these larger projects actually drive increased traffic to Kickstarter which benefits everyone.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Nah, that cartoonist actually mailed out most of them normally, they only snapped like 2/3 of the way through.
Didn't they recover and mail out the rest at some point? And then expunged any record of their work from the internet.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
This thread is a helluva lot better when it's "check out this insane bullshit that can't possibly work or is an obvious money-laundering scheme" rather than "project I am secretly jealous of" or "project from people I have an irrational hatred for."

Yooka-Laylee is a loving great Kickstarter. The kinds of things they're promising to do with the money they're raising seem pretty significant in terms of quality and increasing how much content is in the game. Seeing as how the entire company are veteran game devs and their budget graph looks reasonable, I really have no idea why it was posted here.

Let's get this poo poo train rolling again. I submit: CH4, a gadget that will let the world know you are pre-occupied with your own farts.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/963861855/keep-track-of-your-gases-with-ch4?ref=category

quote:

In the phone app, you can keep track of the type of foods you eat. You can be as specific as you like, for example you can put down "Broccoli" or just "Salad". The more specific you are, the more accurate your results.

The app comes with a dashboard that combines gas tracking with food habits. As you use the app longer, foods get correlated with gas production and the app identifies foods that you should avoid. Isn't it awesome?!

ErIog has a new favorite as of 04:43 on May 11, 2015

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Nap Ghost
I really don't understand kickstarter.
If they had a good idea for a game they would get investers or startup capital.
It is just wasting your money

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Nap Ghost
Its rear end in a top hat who didn't see the .com crash, isn't it.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I really don't understand kickstarter.
If they had a good idea for a game they would get investers or startup capital.
It is just wasting your money
It's not hard to understand there's an entire level of games between indie basement startup and AAA developer that has long been a wasteland. How 'good' an idea is has very little to do with if a publisher is interested. They don't want something that costs 3 million and makes 5 million they want something that costs 30 million and makes them 90.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Nap Ghost

Darkhold posted:

It's not hard to understand there's an entire level of games between indie basement startup and AAA developer that has long been a wasteland. How 'good' an idea is has very little to do with if a publisher is interested. They don't want something that costs 3 million and makes 5 million they want something that costs 30 million and makes them 90.

I don't get why I should fund it

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I don't get why I should fund it

Then don't. This isn't a hard concept.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Nap Ghost

senrath posted:

Then don't. This isn't a hard concept.

I don't. I just don't get why other people do. They couldn't get people who are real good with money to pay.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Nap Ghost
Kickstarter is dumb as hell. It is just a waste of money

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I'm gonna start a kickstarter to help Mumpy Puffinz finish 7th grade

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Nap Ghost

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm gonna start a kickstarter to help Mumpy Puffinz finish 7th grade

Trig is hard!

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

I don't. I just don't get why other people do. They couldn't get people who are real good with money to pay.
Because as I said publishers are rarely interested in funding niche games. I've been in plenty of meetings with executives that will casually turn down profitable deals because the margins aren't high enough to take risker deals with a bigger chance of return. They aren't interested in making money they're interested in making the most money and that doesn't make the smaller deals 'bad' just not what the company is interested in.

So now there are small markets that are being starved for content. If these markets are willing to self fund the content they want it's a good thing.

You seem to have some weird just world fallacy when it comes to game development. There's nothing just or logical about the business world.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

That's so not true it hurts mate. Jim Sterling has done heaps on this issue. Look at triple A development these days and they're constantly chasing impossible graphics benchmarks they set for themselves and then complaining that they're missing sales targets.

There is a mid tier that could badly do with funding but doesn't get it because the only games that exist to people with the big purse strings are CoD, Candy Crush and Clash of Clans. Everything else gets ignored.

Guys like Devolver are killing it with a focus on the mid tier, but there's not nearly enough publishers in the space so many devs are forced to bootstrap, unless they go kickstarter

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Nap Ghost

Darkhold posted:

Because as I said publishers are rarely interested in funding niche games. I've been in plenty of meetings with executives that will casually turn down profitable deals because the margins aren't high enough to take risker deals with a bigger chance of return. They aren't interested in making money they're interested in making the most money.

So now there are small markets that are being starved for content. If these markets are willing to self fund the content they want it's a good thing.

You seem to have some weird just world fallacy when it comes to game development. There's nothing just or logical about the business world.

It's not that weird, where is the Double Fine game? I also don't preorder games. What is the best game from Kickstarter you have played?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Nap Ghost

Maluco Marinero posted:

That's so not true it hurts mate. Jim Sterling has done heaps on this issue. Look at triple A development these days and they're constantly chasing impossible graphics benchmarks they set for themselves and then complaining that they're missing sales targets.

There is a mid tier that could badly do with funding but doesn't get it because the only games that exist to people with the big purse strings are CoD, Candy Crush and Clash of Clans. Everything else gets ignored.

Guys like Devolver are killing it with a focus on the mid tier, but there's not nearly enough publishers in the space so many devs are forced to bootstrap, unless they go kickstarter

if they had good business model they would have gotten money without asking for it online.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

if they had good business model they would have gotten money without asking for it online.

This just in, forums post Mumpy Puffinz is the only person in the world to perfectly understand how business works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Nap Ghost

senrath posted:

This just in, forums post Mumpy Puffinz is the only person in the world to perfectly understand how business works.

asking for money from the internet is not a good model. We learned this in the '90