Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Uranium 235 posted:

I took advantage of last weekend's gold->free exp conversion bonus and skipped the Nashorn and the St. Emil. I played through the toaster, and that was enough for me.

I mostly hate turretless TDs.

Yeah having a combo of no armor, a peashooter gun, no camo, and turning slowly is awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Mesadoram posted:

I've done real bad in real good tanks, granted those were the days when I first started playing and have not touched them since. But still...

I have 100 games in my T-54 and a 48% WR. Conversely I have a 100 games in my WZ-120 and a 60% WR with it. Sometimes this game simply doesn't make any sense.

VV BP owns and is fun to play. BP best Prince.

BadLlama fucked around with this message at 18:31 on May 11, 2015

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

sometimes tanks objectively perform well but are unfun to play

ex: black prince

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Control Volume posted:

sometimes tanks objectively perform well but are unfun to play

ex: black prince

I hated both the 50 100 and the 50 120 despite doing well in both of them. I know the 50 100 is amazing, but I just did not enjoy it at all. While the E8 I loved playing but did lovely back in the day. Go figure.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I absolutely despised the 50 100 until a goon in chat made an extremely dark humored analogy for how to play it, which made it all click and I started dominating fools and loving the tank. It takes a village~

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Magres posted:

I absolutely despised the 50 100 until a goon in chat made an extremely dark humored analogy for how to play it, which made it all click and I started dominating fools and loving the tank. It takes a village~

Was it a surprise sex analogy?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

BadLlama posted:

Was it a surprise sex analogy?

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Fellow autists, as someone who really wants to cut down on WoT but at the same time always seems buy premium time when it runs out, right after a hard grind session before the previous ran out, would buying 6 months premium time make me care less about playing, since the amount of time left would make me not bother about getting value for my money.

tldr; do you feel that longer premium time makes you care less about playing?

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Rincewinds posted:

The last time I bought 6 months upfront I quit playing for almost a year 2 weeks into that. This is probably more a reflection on my poor decisions I make such as playing WoT in the first place.

I'd say buying a bunch of gold when you have a sweet deal and then paying for premium as you go with that is fine, that way if you rage out and quit for a few months when you come back that gold is still there.

subhelios
May 26, 2013

Unfortunately, there is no such game as 'World of Submarines.'

Rincewinds posted:

Fellow autists, as someone who really wants to cut down on WoT but at the same time always seems buy premium time when it runs out, right after a hard grind session before the previous ran out, would buying 6 months premium time make me care less about playing, since the amount of time left would make me not bother about getting value for my money.

It sorta does actually. On the flipside, I refuse to play unless I do have premium so I'm not sure if my response should be counted :v:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I really don't remember the last time I used premium... I have the gold for it, but not the time IRL. So for me using premium always felt like a waste.

Unless I had a weekend off and friends to grind some T8 premiums for credits. But that has not happened in a long time.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Only reason I ever really want prem is that it makes grinding credits take a third as long, and it means I don't wince every time I shoot gold.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

subhelios posted:

It sorta does actually. On the flipside, I refuse to play unless I do have premium so I'm not sure if my response should be counted :v:
yeah gently caress playing this game without premium

Magres posted:

Only reason I ever really want prem is that it makes grinding credits take a third as long, and it means I don't wince every time I shoot gold.
and this is why

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

BadLlama posted:

I have 100 games in my T-54 and a 48% WR. Conversely I have a 100 games in my WZ-120 and a 60% WR with it. Sometimes this game simply doesn't make any sense.

Small sample size. The team you get on is very high variance, so you need to give it several hundred games for that to even out, maybe even a thousand in a tank to be more certain, and that's complicated by the fact that you'll be more skilled after playing the tank for that long, while also potentially being weary.

Also I saw a dude with a 58% winrate and 900 wn8 yesterday and forgot to write down their name. Are companies still a thing on the EU server?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

BadLlama posted:

The last time I bought 6 months upfront I quit playing for almost a year 2 weeks into that. This is probably more a reflection on my poor decisions I make such as playing WoT in the first place.

I'd say buying a bunch of gold when you have a sweet deal and then paying for premium as you go with that is fine, that way if you rage out and quit for a few months when you come back that gold is still there.

I had well over a year when I quit.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I quit for a year shortly after buying a years worth of time. My computer died and buying a machine that could run WoT took a low priority.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Warning- XVM nerd chat incoming. Need some advice on how to configure my player panel.

See the screen shot below. The config on the left shows WN8 (circled in red); the right has WN8 and short tank name (circled in green). I want to A) add tank name to the left (I know how do to this, but see B), and B) align the values so they are not concatenated like they are on the right.

Here is the pertinent part of the config file-

code:
"large": {
			"width": 100,
			"nickFormatRight": "{{nick}} <font color='{{c:rating}}'>{{rating%2.0d~%|--%}}</font>",
			"nickFormatLeft": "<font color='{{c:rating}}'>{{rating%2.0d~%|--%}}</font> {{nick}}",
			"vehicleFormatRight": "<font color='{{c:wn8}}'>{{wn8}} <font color ='{{c:t-winrate}}'>{{vehicle-short}}</font>",
			"vehicleFormatLeft": "<font color='{{c:wn8}}'>{{wn8%4.0d|----}}</font>"
I am assuming there is some printf command to get these to line up, but I don't know enough about printf to decipher all the stuff I find online. Any XVM modders have advice? I am SO close to getting my config just how I want it...

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

I dunno I just use the Pogs tank contours mod so the tank names are displayed separately from XVM.

It gives a shitload of information about each tank. It's handy if you play a tier you aren't used to playing and you go up against a tank you rarely see, and you want to know whether you can pen it frontally or not.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Uranium 235 posted:

It gives a shitload of information about each tank.

TOO MUCH INFO

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
For those in my platoon at the time, I finally figured out the Mystery of the Magic KV--3 HE Shell!

Turns out there's a tiny sliver of armor directly underneath the observation ports on the front of the JT-88 that's only 30mm thick. The loving KV-3 managed to sneak an HE shell into it, and full penned.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Steelion posted:

For those in my platoon at the time, I finally figured out the Mystery of the Magic KV--3 HE Shell!

Turns out there's a tiny sliver of armor directly underneath the observation ports on the front of the JT-88 that's only 30mm thick. The loving KV-3 managed to sneak an HE shell into it, and full penned.

I love the KV-3, "full speed" rammed a Rhombus and penned his turret with HE.

:smugdog:

Felt amazing.

That is pretty awesome.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Uranium 235 posted:

I dunno I just use the Pogs tank contours mod so the tank names are displayed separately from XVM.

It gives a shitload of information about each tank. It's handy if you play a tier you aren't used to playing and you go up against a tank you rarely see, and you want to know whether you can pen it frontally or not.

I just use silhouettes.

Real men know everything about the tank from the side profile and nothing else.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Uranium 235 posted:

I use those, but only the clear-colour versions which don't contain any text or numbers except the name. After playing so much of the game I just memorized armour, health, and penetration numbers, at least for the higher tiers where they matter. Even view range and reload times get beaten into you as you waste your life on this game.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Hellsau posted:

Everyone who plays this game would prefer +1/-1 matchmaking, because easing the variance makes the players happy. Unfortunately the M4 Sherman is a tier 5 and the Tiger 1 is a tier 7, so we can never have +1/-1 matchmaking.

I have to ask, what do you mean by your comment about the M4 and the Tiger 1? I'm too much of a noob to know why their tier placement is bad.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Blindeye posted:

I have to ask, what do you mean by your comment about the M4 and the Tiger 1? I'm too much of a noob to know why their tier placement is bad.

They fought each other in World War II for realz, so all the wehraboos insist they have to fight each other in game. With all the bullshit cartoon tanks that WG invented along for the ride.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

WayAbvPar posted:

They fought each other in World War II for realz, so all the wehraboos insist they have to fight each other in game. With all the bullshit cartoon tanks that WG invented along for the ride.

God help if you mention numerical superiority or anything involving logistics or that tigers barely fought on the western front. Actually do this. I still remember Ross's effort post on the panther which was both gloriously informative and trollorific.

M.C. McMic
Nov 8, 2008

The Weight room
Is your friend
I'm not sure I have a particularly bad win-rate in any one tank with more than 100 games. I'm just thoroughly mediocre in pretty much all of them.

I'm even having a hard time in my Type 59 since I started playing again. Everywhere I go recently, I seem to get cornered and destroyed. I chock a lot of it up to simply having no idea where I'm going.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

rex rabidorum vires posted:

God help if you mention numerical superiority or anything involving logistics or that tigers barely fought on the western front. Actually do this. I still remember Ross's effort post on the panther which was both gloriously informative and trollorific.

Oh hey speaking of Tigers and alleged superiority

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I'm making a D&D Sorceror named Korner the Conjurer now. Max ranks in bluff, compulsive liar, gambling addict.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hellsau posted:

He linked to the original guy compared to one of the unrepentant NA botters, Ares Bot of War. Dude has been in matches with me - he's worthless and responds in chat. Botting would be an improvement. Being idle would be an improvement.

I have a feeling there's some bot script that has it type random garbage in chat whenever it reads the player's name having been typed by other players. This would be to try to fool them into think there's an actual human playing. I've run into these accounts and when I call them out they type something, but it's usually nonsensical and unrelated to the game.

DonkeyHotay posted:

I fairly regularly solo the 113 around 64-5% because it's way underrated

Not for much longer, looks like!

Uranium 235 posted:

I took advantage of last weekend's gold->free exp conversion bonus and skipped the Nashorn and the St. Emil. I played through the toaster, and that was enough for me.

I mostly hate turretless TDs.

Magres posted:

Yeah having a combo of no armor, a peashooter gun, no camo, and turning slowly is awful.

I won't blame you for skipping the Sturer, but the other two are pretty good. Nashorn is solid with the long 88 at tier 6, and the Toaster gets an 88 at tier 5! :psyduck: It sees tier 3 tanks! :eyepop:

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I hated the Nashorn :shrug:

I'm not good at finding long sight lines that I can sit in and wait for tanks, I need to either be able to assault gun or wiggle around with a turret and find shots.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children

This tank

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Oh yeah some pubbie teammate declared in chat in a random game that "badllama is blacklisted for stat whore" so whatever that means. Middle of the match I saw him drive by sub 300 HP so I gave him a nice little love shot from my 122mm and drove away. Needless to say the chat exploded with people calling for reports with me telling them WG doesn't give a gently caress about reports from scrubs making them more mad.

I wish this game had taunts HON style, it's a lovely cespool already, better to just run with it.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
I'm tired of trying to solo this poo poo. I want to 'toon with some goons. Do I just have to hang out in the teamspeak lobby until someone shows up or is there a secret handshake I gotta make somewhere?

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

Wulfolme posted:

I'm tired of trying to solo this poo poo. I want to 'toon with some goons. Do I just have to hang out in the teamspeak lobby until someone shows up or is there a secret handshake I gotta make somewhere?

Join the goons channel in game or jump into TS channels with only one or two people in them and ask.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Magres posted:

I'm making a D&D Sorceror named Korner the Conjurer now. Max ranks in bluff, compulsive liar, gambling addict.

I just realized that I could have called the article "Cutting Korners" and it would have been a much better name :(

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ensign Expendable posted:

Oh hey speaking of Tigers and alleged superiority

That's awesome and hilarious. Where did you find it?

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Ensign Expendable posted:

I just realized that I could have called the article "Cutting Korners" and it would have been a much better name :(

Signature Spell! Cutting Korners, he just does some like sleight of hand and pretends it's grand wizardry but too subtle for you plebeians to understand his WHIZZAHDRY

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Who the hell is GarlicFries again? All I can see is he is trolling pubbies successfully, which can never go badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Magres posted:

Signature Spell! Cutting Korners, he just does some like sleight of hand and pretends it's grand wizardry but too subtle for you plebeians to understand his WHIZZAHDRY

All his party members then nod and agree that he is an impressive wizard indeed and grant him great honours periodically.

McGavin posted:

That's awesome and hilarious. Where did you find it?

The guy that runs Tank and AFV News (also a good tank blog) preordered the new Zaloga book Armoured Champion and there I was. Zaloga actually mentioned "Russian sites" in a recent interview that revealed falsified German kill claims but I never thought he could have been talking about me.