Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
There always going to be a divide between those who think people should be responsible for their own lives and decisions and those who think the government should provide cradle-to-grave welfare. And insulting the former while providing no supporting arguments for the latter isn't going to do anything to bridge that divide.

Unless you think yelling "DON'T YOU CARE ABOUT MOTHERS??" over and over again is an intelligent, thought-provoking argument capable of swaying people who disagree with you. In that case, :lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Irish Joe posted:

There always going to be a divide between those who think people should be responsible for their own lives and decisions and those who think the government should provide cradle-to-grave welfare. And insulting the former while providing no supporting arguments for the latter isn't going to do anything to bridge that divide.

Unless you think yelling "DON'T YOU CARE ABOUT MOTHERS??" over and over again is an intelligent, thought-provoking argument capable of swaying people who disagree with you. In that case, :lol:

Your obvious trolling aside, you make it sound like there is a way to sway these people.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Bob Balaban was an inspired choice. Nobody can stand there looking confused and bewildered like he can.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

OhYeah posted:

I went to the show's facebook page and read the comments. Now I wish I hadn't. So many people yelling stuff like "WHY SHOULD I WORK TWICE AS MUCH SO THAT SOME oval office MOTHER CAN TAKE TIME OFF???".

Uhm, because her baby

1. Is your future employee, or
2. The future customer of the product of service you are providing, and
3. A future taxpayer that makes sure you still get to use public services in your old age.

How come there are so many people in this otherwise great country that can't see 2 inches past their own nose?

These days if an investment doesn't pay off within 2 years, and at most 5, most business won't touch it.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Katana Gomai posted:

Your obvious trolling aside, you make it sound like there is a way to sway these people.

There probably isn't, but the point is that he doesn't even understand what he's arguing or why people disagree with him. His principles aren't well-reasoned. They don't have a deep philosophical basis. His line of reasoning is, basically, "Moms are good. Anything that's good for moms is therefore also good. Ergo, we should do anything that's good for moms regardless of the cost or possible consequences." Even if you agree with his proposed policies, no reasonable person would associate with a man whose thinking is so childishly simplistic.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Irish Joe posted:

There probably isn't, but the point is that he doesn't even understand what he's arguing or why people disagree with him. His principles aren't well-reasoned. They don't have a deep philosophical basis.

I want you to read this and reflect upon yourself.

Hopefully for eternity.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
The only sad this is John didn't cover the Alberta Election where the longest elected government in the world got destroyed.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Why do you guys keep quoting a guy who clearly gets his jollies trolling this thread?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zakharov posted:

Why do you guys keep quoting a guy who clearly gets his jollies trolling this thread?

Not just this thread.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
Another great episode. The continuing resistance in this country to treating workers with respect or any sort of dignity continues to amaze and depress. You'd think paid maternity leave would be the easiest workers protection to push through. Good luck ever increasing the average days of paid leave in this country if you can't even get paid maternity leave.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Another great episode. The continuing resistance in this country to treating workers with respect or any sort of dignity continues to amaze and depress. You'd think paid maternity leave would be the easiest workers protection to push through. Good luck ever increasing the average days of paid leave in this country if you can't even get paid maternity leave.

Are you kidding? There is nothing the corporate culture in this country seems to disapprove of more than parenthood. I've had a boss who used the imagined possibility that I might choose to have a child and take time off as the excuse for lovely behavior. I've also had a male coworker with a completely different reporting chain confide that his job was threatened when the tried to take parental leave. This was all within a Fortune 500 company, by the way. I had a major injury while working at the same company and I was treated with so much more decency and respect.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Are you kidding? There is nothing the corporate culture in this country seems to disapprove of more than parenthood. I've had a boss who used the imagined possibility that I might choose to have a child and take time off as the excuse for lovely behavior.

This is a big part of why women make less money too.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

1. Currently the most prevalent form of decision-making in the western world

2. While you are correct in saying that the society owns

3. You have not for a second demonstrated here why

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Irish Joe posted:

Are you just too lazy to read posts in this thread or if not, why don't you address the following three simple points?

quote:

Uhm, because her baby

1. Is your future employee, or
2. The future customer of the product of service you are providing, and
3. A future taxpayer that makes sure you still get to use public services in your old age.

Demiurge4 posted:

These days if an investment doesn't pay off within 2 years, and at most 5, most business won't touch it.

Is there anyone who believes that a country should be run like a corporation?

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

OhYeah posted:

Were you not paying attention to basically every Republican nominee in the last presidential election?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

OhYeah posted:

A lot of loving people, have you never heard of new public management?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Do they just have a guy employed on their show who only knows how to make mascot costumes?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Do they just have a guy employed on their show who only knows how to make mascot costumes?

They probably just have an art department that likes to have fun.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

OhYeah posted:

Are you just too lazy to read posts in this thread or if not, why don't you address the following three simple points?

Because the "points" don't address the core of the issue? Its easy, for example, to come up with a list of situations where free speech is more detrimental than limited speech (hate speech, bullying speech, etc), but the fact of the matter is that people support a blanket freedom of speech because they don't want the government dictating capriciously what's good speech and what's bad speech. Here we have a case where you're asking the government to step in and say it'll pay women not to work. What triggers that benefit, what's the extent of that right, what will prevent abuse, how will the system support the cost, what will stop the government from adding similar benefits to other groups in the future, etc, etc, etc. Isn't it simpler, safer and a lot more fair to everybody to say, simply, "you make the choice not to work, you don't get paid. Period." ?

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

4. I love the way that you equate "state" with "bureaucracy". Is that how you really feel about the state

Irish Joe posted:

Because the "points" don't address the core of the issue? Its easy, for example, to come up with a list of situations where free speech is more detrimental than limited speech (hate speech, bullying speech, etc), but the fact of the matter is that people support a blanket freedom of speech because they don't want the government dictating capriciously what's good speech and what's bad speech. Here we have a case where you're asking the government to step in and say it'll pay women not to work. What triggers that benefit, what's the extent of that right, what will prevent abuse, how will the system support the cost, what will stop the government from adding similar benefits to other groups in the future, etc, etc, etc. Isn't it simpler, safer and a lot more fair to everybody to say, simply, "you make the choice not to work, you don't get paid. Period." ?

What?!

This is not loving rocket science. In order for a country not to head for a demographic collapse, you need people to make babies so that you have future workers and taxpayers. You use whatever means at your disposal to make sure no one postpones having children for financial reasons.

I'm surprised that anyone (who is not rich) decides to have children in United States, because I sure hell wouldn't under those conditions.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

OhYeah posted:

I guess you missed the last 10 years of republicans bitching that the postal service isn't turning a profit.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

OhYeah posted:

This is not loving rocket science. In order for a country not to head for a demographic collapse, you need people to make babies so that you have future workers and taxpayers. You use whatever means at your disposal to make sure no one postpones having children for financial reasons.

Jesus Christ, that sounds like some next level nazi poo poo. "Ve must insure ze birt ut ze next generation of pure German shtock."

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I don't know how many people here realize Irish Joe doesn't even watch the program; he just posts here.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 21:43 on May 11, 2015

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

OhYeah posted:

What?!

I'm surprised that anyone (who is not rich) decides to have children in United States, because I sure hell wouldn't under those conditions.

Stop talking to Irish Joe.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

Jesus Christ, that sounds like some next level nazi poo poo. "Ve must insure ze birt ut ze next generation of pure German shtock."

If people say we should provide paid maternity leave because it is the right thing to do, some idiots cry that "gently caress them preggos" because their precious tax money shouldn't be used on them.

If people say we should provide paid maternity leave because it makes economic and demographic sense in the long-term, the same idiots cry out "nazis!".

Which one is, then? It can't be both... because that would be moronic.

Let me put it in another way. Why do you think every other civilized country in the world provides some form of paid maternal leave apart from the United States?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

OhYeah posted:

Which one is, then? It can't be both... because that would be moronic.

There's nothing moronic about having different counterarguments to different arguments.

quote:

Let me put it in another way. Why do you think every other civilized country in the world provides some form of paid maternal leave apart from the United States?

By civilized countries, you mean predominantly white countries, right?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That mascot explosion clip makes me anxious whenever I see it. It just seems to be violating so many safety regulations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Earlier today I saw a clip from a Japanese game show of a woman dragging a piece of meat tied to a rope around her waist being chased by a Komodo Dragon. I'm fairly certain that they don't actually have safety regulations.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

OhYeah posted:

Don't worry, they have a solution for this. It's called abstinence only sex-education, or ideally, no sex-education at all.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Irish Joe posted:

There's nothing moronic about having different counterarguments to different arguments.

By civilized countries, you mean predominantly white countries, right?

I mean developed countries, with a high standard of living.

As for counterarguments.. you haven't really provided any yet.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

OhYeah posted:

I mean developed countries, with a high standard of living.

As for counterarguments.. you haven't really provided any yet.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

This thread deserves Irish Joe.

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

I drank all your Kool-Aid.
Most of the fun in following this thread is watching people take Irish Joe's bait.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

TNO posted:

Most of the fun in following this thread is watching people take Irish Joe's bait.

I once ignored not only Irish Joe but everyone who quoted Irish Joe but then it seemed like no one posted in the thread any more.

OhYeah
Jan 20, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

I once ignored not only Irish Joe but everyone who quoted Irish Joe but then it seemed like no one posted in the thread any more.

Tell me more about this guy. What's his story? Just another deranged republican or is he "something special"?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
He is what is commonly referred to as a "troll". Welcome to the internet, stranger.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

OhYeah posted:

Tell me more about this guy. What's his story? Just another deranged republican or is he "something special"?

He is extremely good at saying things that piss people off in such a way that people don't glom onto it being a troll immediately. He's done this for years. It's amazing.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That bear mascot video is amazing.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Orange Devil posted:

Don't worry, they have a solution for this. It's called abstinence only sex-education, or ideally, no sex-education at all.

This plus immigration has been semi effective at keep the US birth rate up but now that overall teen pregnancy rates are falling drastically the birthrate in this country is starting to dip below replacement rate. I wonder if the demographics start to look like Germany if we'll see a sudden surge for paid maternity leave.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Who is the real troll, Irish Joe, or the people who make a big show of engaging with Irish Joe, as if his words are truly meaningful to them? There's no way they don't know his schtick. Honestly, the more I see people arguing with Irish Joe, the more I think he has a point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SlothfulCobra posted:

Who is the real troll, Irish Joe, or the people who make a big show of engaging with Irish Joe, as if his words are truly meaningful to them? There's no way they don't know his schtick. Honestly, the more I see people arguing with Irish Joe, the more I think he has a point.

If trolls start trolling trolls to troll trolls then we'll all have to pay the troll toll and get the boys hole

• Locked thread