Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

GaussianCopula posted:

If you want to support bitter jury's that get us winners like Fabio and Natalie White and discourage people from playing aggressively, please vote for her.

When you put it that way, given the alternatives I'm firmly in the pro-bitter jury camp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Russel is a complete idiot who doesn't understand how Survivor works, he himself admitted in the reunion when he said he never thinks about the jury. The jury is literally the most important part of the game because they decide who wins, and Russel never gave a seconds thought to what kind of juries he was building, and couldn't even manage to learn from his mistake.

Edit: Whoops forgot about the close timeline there.

Piell fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 11, 2015

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

... How could he learn from his mistake? He played back to back seasons and went into HvV thinking he easily won the Samoa final jury vote against Natalie and Mick. I used to think that it was a huge injustice that he lost in Samoa but post-Cagayan I don't really have a problem with it. Tony showed that you can play the same balls-to-the-wall game and all you have to do is not be a complete rear end in a top hat and people will give you the million. Still though that Galu tribe including Monica was complete poo poo.

Edit: so was Foa Foa now that I think of it. Other than Shambo and Russell the cast that season really sucked - or maybe it was that he sucked up all the editing.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Unmerciful posted:

... How could he learn from his mistake? He played back to back seasons and went into HvV thinking he easily won the Samoa final jury vote against Natalie and Mick. I used to think that it was a huge injustice that he lost in Samoa but post-Cagayan I don't really have a problem with it. Tony showed that you can play the same balls-to-the-wall game and all you have to do is not be a complete rear end in a top hat and people will give you the million. Still though that Galu tribe including Monica was complete poo poo.

I feel like Max from this season would have fit in really well on that Galu tribe.

GaussianCopula posted:

I never finished watching Nicaragua, because it was to terrible but I believe that Russel was an integral part of two of the best seasons of Survivor and gave the game a much needed shot in the arm. While I understand the Heroes voting for Sandra instead of Parv/Russel in HvV based on likeability (there are reports that Russel really went of the deep end after close to 80 days on the beach) it seems like Samoa was a bunch of sour pusses voting against Russel to spite him while Natalie did nothing to deserve the win.

But everyone can decide that for themselves and vote accordingly.

FWIW I'm pretty sure I was rooting for Russell to win just based on gameplay. Either way the meltdown in the Survivor thread here at SA was amazing iirc. I agree that Russell rejuvenated Survivor, giving people either a hero or a villain.

Nicaragua isn't worth finishing, you are smart.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Unmerciful posted:

Edit: so was Foa Foa now that I think of it. Other than Shambo and Russell the cast that season really sucked - or maybe it was that he sucked up all the editing.
It's really remarkable that the most memorable castaways from that season are Russell, Natalie, Shambo, Dave Ball, and Brett.

(And John but that's mostly because of underwear choice.)

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I wish Dave Ball had been invited back, he was great.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Poque posted:

FWIW I'm pretty sure I was rooting for Russell to win just based on gameplay. Either way the meltdown in the Survivor thread here at SA was amazing iirc. I agree that Russell rejuvenated Survivor, giving people either a hero or a villain.

Poque posted:

I think it'll be 7-2 or 6-3 Russell, with Mick getting 0 votes.

oh past self you were so dumb

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
For like 5-6 seasons after Samoa every loving Survivor thread inevitably degenerated into a debate about that season's jury.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Yeah, I was shocked at the time when Russell lost, and we all started having that debate about whether the jury is broken. Now though I think it's pretty settled... Russell is jury poison. If you get to the end but you make everyone hate you in doing so, you're not going to win. When he did the same thing in HvV he proved it was a Russell problem and not a jury problem. (Although in HvV he looked like a chump goat by the end.) Tony made big crazy moves and the jury still voted him. Nat "balled out" and the jury voted for her. Russell is just bad.

The second chance podcasts Rob is doing are mostly all good listens. Varner's is the best. Kelly Wiglesworth's was bad not just because she's still living in 2000 Survivor but because she just wasn't that good a conversationalist... It could be interesting throwing an old school player into the mix, someone who doesn't want to have alliances or whatever, just to see how people react to that, but she seems like she'd end up making the results boring somehow. I'm sure she'll be back though.

Abi Maria and Stephanie Valencia both had fun interviews. That Jim Rice guy who I didn't even remember when he came back for a podcast earlier this season really wants it bad.

Unmerciful
Sep 14, 2008

Fast Luck posted:

Tony made big crazy moves and the jury still voted him. Nat "balled out" and the jury voted for her. Russell is just bad.
This seems simplistic - Russell was great at way more things than he was bad at. He was strong in challenges, excellent strategically and even at times was good in the social game (Samoa post-merge wooing Shambo and John, HvV pre-merge Jerri and Coach). His problem is more that he's just fundamentally an rear end in a top hat and doesn't do a good enough job hiding it so people would rather give the money to someone else (which is understandable). I still think he's a top 5-10 Survivor player and entertainment-wise for me probably #1

Unmerciful fucked around with this message at 20:59 on May 11, 2015

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
Imagine Colleen had swayed just one vote in Ponderosa to vote for Kelly.

This thread would not exist.

From my perspective it looks like Samoa was a bitter jury and not necessarily caused by Russel being "jury poison", especially because I never heard anyone from the Samoa jury say that they voted for Natalie because she did x or y. This is in crass contrast to HvV where Russel, under the effects of 80 days island, acted like a complete lunatic and let Sandra, who had a much better relationship with the "heroes" reach the final tribal council. #

As for subsequent votes, especially Tony. He had the good fortune that there was a clear (scape)"goat" for the people that were voted out to blame in Kass and he turned several times on his own alliance allowing people on the jury to have 3 more days. But anyways, this discussion will get us nowhere.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Fast Luck posted:

Yeah, I was shocked at the time when Russell lost, and we all started having that debate about whether the jury is broken.

Yeah history has not been kind to Russell's game. Fortunately you can still think Galu were a bunch of tools and think Russell played a fatally flawed game.

On the upside Galu did give us the hilarious failure that was Russell Swan on his second go around.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

BGrifter posted:

Tyson on the other hand kind of got dragged into doing RHAP after getting pestered by Rob for a while. He's super popular, probably the most popular guest Rob has so he gets asked back a lot. I think he watches the show a little more now, but he skipped several seasons and last I listened he would just watch an episode or two when he knew he'd be on RHAP.

That's not true at all.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Met posted:

That's not true at all.

I dug back a little and he did podcast about Nicaragua, so I must be mixing up missing entire seasons. I remember him talking about not following Survivor as much for a while and coming on to podcast about life in general/old seasons/whatever in one of his monster 3+ hour podcasts but browsing through the RHAP archive I'm not sure when that was.

At this point I've listened to so many hours of RHAP it's started to blur together. Kicked the habit recently and switched to stuff like Grantland, can't say I feel like I'm missing much.

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Lone Goat posted:

Are any of the RHAP Second Chance interviews worth listening to? My podcast plate is pretty full and I'd need a second job to listen to another 30 hours of stuff.

Shane's is a must-listen. Jeff Varner (who brings in a guest) and Abi Maria's are great as well.

BGrifter posted:

I dug back a little and he did podcast about Nicaragua, so I must be mixing up missing entire seasons. I remember him talking about not following Survivor as much for a while and coming on to podcast about life in general/old seasons/whatever in one of his monster 3+ hour podcasts but browsing through the RHAP archive I'm not sure when that was.

At this point I've listened to so many hours of RHAP it's started to blur together. Kicked the habit recently and switched to stuff like Grantland, can't say I feel like I'm missing much.

You picked a real bad time to start getting invested in Grantland

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

bbf2 posted:

Shane's is a must-listen. Jeff Varner (who brings in a guest) and Abi Maria's are great as well.

Varner's was great, as advertised. I'll give the other two a listen tomorrow at work.

Over the weekend I listened to Jim which was good, and about half of T-bird which was a dud.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

T-Bird's was nice. She sounded very sweet and like she could do well if she played again today.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Just starting the Wigglesworth podcast.

"I don't like the people and the strategy of Survivor."

:stare:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Fast Luck posted:

T-Bird's was nice. She sounded very sweet and like she could do well if she played again today.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOORIIIIIIIIING

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Met posted:

Just starting the Wigglesworth podcast.

"I don't like the people and the strategy of Survivor."

:stare:

Oh my god. It just gets worse and worse. She hasn't watched Survivor in years. She says her life is better because she didn't win in her season. She doesn't want to make alliances.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
She also doesn't own a TV or have internet (???), and didn't know her own Twitter handle, and she just recently watched her season for the first time, and you're insane if you don't want to see what a frozen caveman Survivor player looks like

DoggPickle
Jan 16, 2004

LAFFO
Everyone's opinion on Russell's first season is basically based on how you feel the jury should act. I'm somewhere in the middle I guess. I still think they should all be able to be bitter losers, or mad about not making friends, or vote for the NICE person, or the best player (I would) or WHATEVER they want - as long as they do it individually. We've all been teenagers at one point (I HOPE!) and there is no limit to the amount of influence that a person or group can have on others when you're not around. That is why I despise Ponderosa and letting them all hang out together until the vote. I understand that they can't go home, but it's not like the Jury is waiting around for a month. Why can't they be individually sequestered? One person could make up a lie or half-truth or sway a lot of votes. It changes the dynamic of the game entirely.

If you LIKE it that way, and consider it part of the game, well then we're just at odds about the Jury process. There are just too many variables to even calculate, when 8-10 other people are hanging out for weeks and you have no idea what they are saying or doing. I just personally don't like it. But that is me.

Random thing - Permanent Tattooed eyeliner is just about the only permanent make-up I have ever thought of getting. I have light skin and light eyelashes, and it's the only thing I put on at all most of the time, and particularly if I'm in a rush. I think I look sleepy without it. I'd have it right now if it wasn't A)HORRIFICALLY PAINFUL SOUNDING and B)I don't trust anyone that much.

aidoru
Oct 24, 2010

What happens to pre-jury vote-outs? Do they go to their own loser ponderosa?

I honestly like that the jurors can talk to one another and share hate/love. I watched Survivor when it first started for about 10 seasons, missed a ton, and only recently got back into it, and I actually find the current jury method pretty nice. It makes it so ruthless strong idiots can't win, because no one likes ruthless strong idiots and rewarding them on TV isn't fun TV. I think a lot of it is catharsis for the jurors, but it's probably TV gold, too.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Actually a lot of people like ruthless strong idiots

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Man I really wanted to see Stephanie Valencia come back but then I listened to her RHAP Second Chance interview and it is T E R R I B L E

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Haha I thought it was cool, I mean obviously as goons we're way too advanced to find memes cool, but her personality seemed fun.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING

aidoru posted:

What happens to pre-jury vote-outs? Do they go to their own loser ponderosa?

I honestly like that the jurors can talk to one another and share hate/love. I watched Survivor when it first started for about 10 seasons, missed a ton, and only recently got back into it, and I actually find the current jury method pretty nice. It makes it so ruthless strong idiots can't win, because no one likes ruthless strong idiots and rewarding them on TV isn't fun TV. I think a lot of it is catharsis for the jurors, but it's probably TV gold, too.

No, the same one, but they leave on a cool vacation a day or so before the first jury member arrives at Ponderosa. That's probably why Max and Vince are best bros now.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Man, would anyone have pegged Sierra to be third most likely to win when the tribes first merged? I mean it's almost guaranteed at this point either Mike or Carolyn will be in top 4 at least, but her odds are pretty good.

I was just thinking that they would be short on footage if Mike and Carolyn are both out, especially since Mike gives them 70% of it. Sierra and Will are invisible and you can't exactly fill an hour with Rodney time. On the other hand it might be interesting to actually see these 'players' strategize. I'll give Sierra points for voting out Tyler at least, she's made more moves than Rodney has, for all his scheming.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
:munch:

Poque posted:

Nicaragua isn't worth finishing, you are smart.

But...but..Fabio peed in the pool!

Piell posted:

I wish Dave Ball had been invited back, he was great.

...!

I can't believe I hadn't thought of this. Imagine Shane and Danger Dave playing together. Just imagine.

xbilkis posted:

She also doesn't own a TV or have internet (???), and didn't know her own Twitter handle, and she just recently watched her season for the first time, and you're insane if you don't want to see what a frozen caveman Survivor player looks like

Agreed. I'm going to continue voting for her, even though she's totally already been cast, anyway.

Also, I think Natalie White ended up on the cutting room floor and did, in fact, earn her win.

:munch:

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
dave's AMA seemed to imply that he kinda hates survivor and wouldn't want to go back. a shame because it would be great to see him again.

also the end of nicaragua is like the only interesting part, aside from marty maybe.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

Man, would anyone have pegged Sierra to be third most likely to win when the tribes first merged? I mean it's almost guaranteed at this point either Mike or Carolyn will be in top 4 at least, but her odds are pretty good.

I was just thinking that they would be short on footage if Mike and Carolyn are both out, especially since Mike gives them 70% of it. Sierra and Will are invisible and you can't exactly fill an hour with Rodney time. On the other hand it might be interesting to actually see these 'players' strategize. I'll give Sierra points for voting out Tyler at least, she's made more moves than Rodney has, for all his scheming.

I've always been bullish on Sierra~

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I'm disappointed that the potential castaways include Ciera instead of Sierra (Tocantins).

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Poque posted:

I'm disappointed that the potential castaways include Ciera instead of Sierra (Tocantins).

Since it looks like they'll have J.T./Stephen/Coach/Tyson all checked off after next season, I'm hopeful that basically any of the Tocantins women who made the merge could be in contention for future seasons. Sierra and Erinn in particular left way more of an impression than most of the women in the returnee pool for S31

Never seeing those names swirling in the rumor mill is the same feeling I've gotten when I see Shane repeatedly mentioned as a potential returnee but never fellow insane person Courtney Marit

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

xbilkis posted:

Since it looks like they'll have J.T./Stephen/Coach/Tyson all checked off after next season, I'm hopeful that basically any of the Tocantins women who made the merge could be in contention for future seasons. Sierra and Erinn in particular left way more of an impression than most of the women in the returnee pool for S31

Never seeing those names swirling in the rumor mill is the same feeling I've gotten when I see Shane repeatedly mentioned as a potential returnee but never fellow insane person Courtney Marit

I would have pegged Taj or Debbie before Sierra or Erinn to be honest.

If they allowed people who have played more than once to return they should bring back Francesca, just to watch her get voted off first for a third time.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!
I'd love to see Taj play again. She'd be near the top of my list vs the options we have.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

ApplesandOranges posted:

I would have pegged Taj or Debbie before Sierra or Erinn to be honest.

If they allowed people who have played more than once to return they should bring back Francesca, just to watch her get voted off first for a third time.

They should do a season of new players who've never watched the show and then sneak Francesca in there and claim she's new as well.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Most dangerous first boot ever. Twice.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ApplesandOranges posted:

I've had a very up and down feeling towards Sierra during the game. She was invisible at first but as it became clear the Blue Collars were a bunch of crazy assholes she seemed like she had the good sense to hang back and survive it. Then she talked a lot about turning on them but backed down which made her seem super passive and lame. Now it kind of seems like she might have played a solid social game and decided that if she simply stayed under the radar she'd have good odds of going to F3 with a pair of goats.

Which you know what? I can respect. Going back to the Russell/jury discussion I don't think Survivor or strategy or the jury is one thing. Every tribe, cast, season, jury, and game is different and you have to adapt to the cards you've been dealt. If it turns out you've been put on an island with a bunch of insane, paranoid, assholes then maybe the best game strategy IS laying low and remaining just inoffensive enough not be seen as either a threat or a goat.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Poque posted:

They should do a season of new players who've never watched the show and then sneak Francesca in there and claim she's new as well.

Frankschesqua really needs another chance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Silly Burrito posted:

Most dangerous first boot ever. Twice.

i have to wonder if second time around they voted for her first at least partially for the comedy factor. it just seems so crazy that the planets aligned perfectly enough to allow her to be the first off twice.

• Locked thread