Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

ullerrm posted:

Also, seriously considering taking this thing out with a head full of snakes and some Strong Crash.

I'm glad there's another single person in this game embracing the beauty of polarization. Let me tell you about the divine gift from the ganking gods known as the pBrutix. At 90% of the dps of a talos for 75% the cost, as well as enough buffer to tank gate guns until CONCORD shows up, they're pSweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Zephyrine posted:

I'm an above average pickler of eggs. Any high fives for that in this meat wank of a thread?

I make some mean pickled eggs.

Hell yeah, pickling is art.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Why would someone boil a meat?

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

various cheeses posted:

Stews are pretty decent.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

various cheeses posted:

I'm a big fan of milk steak, boiled over hard.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Boiling meats is great if you never had flavorful foods growing up and your tastebuds are easily alarmed.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

various cheeses posted:

Boiling is astoundingly good for breaking down connective tissue; if you've got a lovely budget cut that's tougher than shoe leather (shank, top blade, chuck, etc), it'll come out pretty tender when boiled. And the leftover broth is loving fantastic for sauces / cooking veggies / etc.

Of course, you also lose quite a bit of flavor. Brining the meat beforehand is pretty much mandatory.

Personally, I prefer braising over boiling. But whatever suits your palate.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

ullerrm posted:

Boiling is astoundingly good for breaking down connective tissue; if you've got a lovely budget cut that's tougher than shoe leather (shank, top blade, chuck, etc), it'll come out pretty tender when boiled. And the leftover broth is loving fantastic for sauces / cooking veggies / etc.

Of course, you also lose quite a bit of flavor. Brining the meat beforehand is pretty much mandatory.

Personally, I prefer braising over boiling. But whatever suits your palate.

At this point you might as well just make Stew though.

I mean, stew if loving fantastic so that's not a bad thing, but turning something into stew / pot roast isn't really the same thing as boiling a steak to tender it up or something similarly heinous.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

A Golem sitting at 0 on the structure can run a link and hit out past 250km.

The whole plan is dumb though, because it's countered by a goddamn newbie frigate with a link of it's own.

If you want to kill the guy, get a Svipul with combat probes. You know exactly what grid he's on, so you drop probes from off Dscan, probe him down, then warp on top of him because he can't run his MWD permanently.

Why anyone would even risk a T3 to do this is beyond me.

"Oh hey someone has probes on grid with my t3 better just sit here and hope they dont probe me down"

Like, I'm not saying that t3 sov trolling is a good idea, but if you're paying even a little bit of attention you're gonna be gone before the svipul lands.

Kalenn Istarion posted:

The real secret to making good, tender ribs is that you get fresh ones from the butcher, then boil them

I'm late to the party but this is the wrongest thing anyone has ever posted in any version of any eve thread ever. To properly do ribs requires a very low temp (~200 or slightly less) smoker and shitloads of time. Anyone who tells you they have ~one weird trick~ to save time is a liar and a charlatan, and not someone you should associate with.

ullerrm posted:

Also, seriously considering taking this thing out with a head full of snakes and some Strong Crash.

(tengu)

Do it and post the video:getin:

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

:yikes: Kugu turned into food chat right before the end jus sayin..

A Concrete Divider
Jan 20, 2012

The Unbearable Whiteness of Eating

grumplestiltzkin posted:

"Oh hey someone has probes on grid with my t3 better just sit here and hope they dont probe me down"

Off-grid and off-scan probes, properly placed in scanner, then hit button, then ~10 seconds of the probes moving into place and scanning, then warp.

The svipul, as stated previously itt, would know which grid you were on, so he would get a 100% hit first scan.

A Concrete Divider fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 11, 2015

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Voyager I posted:

At this point you might as well just make Stew though.

I mean, stew if loving fantastic so that's not a bad thing, but turning something into stew / pot roast isn't really the same thing as boiling a steak to tender it up or something similarly heinous.

That is pretty much exactly what you do, if you have half an ounce of sense and a decent spice drawer.

Really, boiling and braising are the cooking technique; you're just trading cooking time for temperature. Braising became much more viable with the invention of cheap electric crockpots.

I mean, look at your typical top blade steak. That poo poo is goddamned delicious, IF you can break that big line of fiber down.

grumplestiltzkin posted:

Like, I'm not saying that t3 sov trolling is a good idea, but if you're paying even a little bit of attention you're gonna be gone before the svipul lands.

What's slightly more scary, to be honest, is those 10km/sec 10MN MWD Svipuls. Those are basically a gently caress you to most of the entosis troll fits I've seen.

In a way, I hope that RLMLs get a nerf before July; most RLML ships are a pretty strong counter to most of the trolltosis setups I've seen.

e:

code:
[Cerberus, anti trolltosis]
Internal Force Field Array I
Ballistic Control System II

Experimental 10MN Microwarpdrive I
Republic Fleet Warp Disruptor
Upgraded EM Ward Amplifier I
Adaptive Invulnerability Field II
X-Large Ancillary Shield Booster, Cap Booster 400

Rapid Light Missile Launcher II, Caldari Navy Scourge Light Missile

Medium Ancillary Current Router I
Medium Polycarbon Engine Housing II

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Y'all seem to have totally forgotten sous vide with a circulator as an option.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

DisgracelandUSA posted:

I'm glad there's another single person in this game embracing the beauty of polarization. Let me tell you about the divine gift from the ganking gods known as the pBrutix. At 90% of the dps of a talos for 75% the cost, as well as enough buffer to tank gate guns until CONCORD shows up, they're pSweet.

Stealth bomber with polarized torpedo launchers is another great use of polarized weapons.

Just took a look at this.

[polarized, Nemesis]

Faint Warp Disruptor I
Phased Weapon Navigation Array Generation Extron
Phased Weapon Navigation Array Generation Extron
Limited 1MN Afterburner I

Covert Ops Cloaking Device II
Polarized Torpedo Launcher, Inferno Rage Torpedo

Small Bay Loading Accelerator I
Small Warhead Calefaction Catalyst I

Requires some CPU help to fit both the damage rigs. With the snapshot and rapid launch implants, this gets 968 DPS with a 5,713 volley. Travels 791m/s and has a sig of 42 with 1,939 EHP.

Compare that to the same fit, but with meta launchers (528dps, 4,462 volley) with 2,533 EHP. Not much of a sacrifice in terms of EHP for the huge increase in damage.

Dr. Pangloss fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 11, 2015

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Fyi the only BBQ you can do really well in a slow cooker is pulled pork. You need that caramelization and heavy smoke for other cuts of meat.

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

Hexel posted:

:yikes: Kugu turned into food chat right before the end jus sayin..

And Zulu has continued this tradition, even moving up to the most sacred art of Burg photos.

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

Klyith posted:

I think if you want to kill sov-trolls, the best bet is covops cloaked ships. Versus an interceptor with a T1 link, a rapier will absolutely ruin it. Wait until it's orbiting in your direction, decloak and get 2 webs on it. Can't warp off, can't run away, wham bam thank you ma'am.

But really if someone has fit a really dumb T3 that can't do anything but ping a structure at 250, I think the best response is to show up in a frigate with an entosis link of your own, sit next to the structure, and cock-block them.
Yeah, although after the first few weeks of people dying stupidly in entoceptors, they'll learn not to keep orbiting when there's anyone in local, and you'll never actually catch them with anything other than some kind of wacky warp/speed/gank-fit Claw or Crusader with MG+ Snakes.

Nothing can effectively kill that T3 without a massive stroke of luck or extreme stupidity. If it's burning at 10km/s away from the structure and not toward a celestial, any ship that you warp to it will be out of range by the time it locks. Again, the only ship that has even a chance of tackling one of these is a probing 10mn MWD Svipul, and those aren't very tough anymore, so you'd better have backup ready to warp to you. Oh, and you have to catch it in under 2 minutes, 1 minute on average. Good luck.

Klyith posted:

Nope! "Once the first cycle of the Entosis Link completes and the capture progress begins the Alliance who owns the structure will be notified of the attack"

So no warning until capture actually starts, and even with max indexes the longest you have to respond is 60 minutes. You can see why we're condensing our space.
Holy poo poo. I thought this system sounded pretty solid and balanced between attacker and defender with the latest announced changes, but this is ridiculous. The 5 minute lead time on the T1 version doesn't even really matter then, other than potentially preventing warp for an extra 3. Yeah, trollceptors are definitely going to be a thing, because why not? The risk is minimal to zero depending on what the defenders respond with, and you can at least drive up capture progress and force at least one defender to sit there almost as long as you did, while you're off hitting another structure somewhere else.

If this came AFTER sov upgrades that improved intel and/or PvE density, that'd be one thing. But this basically means you need to have a person online at all times in every system in some kind of ship that can kill a pair of interceptors. The Rapier's value is definitely skyrocketing.

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

A Golem sitting at 0 on the structure can run a link and hit out past 250km.

The whole plan is dumb though, because it's countered by a goddamn newbie frigate with a link of it's own.

If you want to kill the guy, get a Svipul with combat probes. You know exactly what grid he's on, so you drop probes from off Dscan, probe him down, then warp on top of him because he can't run his MWD permanently.

Why anyone would even risk a T3 to do this is beyond me.
The point of that T3 setup isn't to actually hold a link under pressure, it's to drive capture progress in an empty system and force a defender response without actually risking anything. Like the hypothetical T2 trollceptors that we know aren't possible now, the whole point is just to burn out the defenders risk-free.

The only relevant counter-setup to this is a probing 10mn MWD Svipul, and that comes with its own set of huge drawbacks, and you have <2 minutes to probe down, catch up to, and keep a hard tackle on a target moving 10km/s before he just cloaks up and vanishes. I don't know if you've ever tried to keep a tackle on a ship moving at 10km/s with another ship moving at 20km/s using a 10km scram, but it's really difficult. Getting a scram on a flyby is one thing, but keeping it on is another altogether.

Edit: To be clear, I'm not doomsaying. I'm sure GSF will hold sov just fine, and that this system will produce far more 'content' in nullsec than any other change to date. But it's really stacked in favor of the attacker, and if someone really wants to try to burn out defenders under this system, there are plenty of ways to do it, many of them being relatively free of risk or cost and requiring far less manpower and firepower than under Dominion sov.

mikey fucked around with this message at 23:09 on May 11, 2015

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm using the foil method.

DiggityDoink posted:

The foil method is the way to go. Boiling just steals any good flavor from the ribs.
This is the correct way to make ribs without an actual smoker. Dry rub a day in advance, marinate in your sauce base (apple/orange juice, vinegar, whiskey, etc) + some source of good smoke flavor (liquid, salt) for a few hours, foil-wrap and braise very slowly in the marinade for 3-6 hours, then make your sauce with the braising liquid and finish them on the grill (or under a broiler if you don't even have access to a grill) while saucing them. I've never had them turn out less than fantastic, it takes maybe 45 minutes of work total, you just have to plan ahead a little.

Huge_Midget posted:

This statement makes me irrationally angry. I weep for all of you poor Euro bastards that have no clue what actual, good, honest to god BBQ is. It should really only involve a few very basic things. Meat, real hardwood smoke, and lots of time. A light handed approach to seasonings/rubs is acceptable, so long as their flavor profiles are complimentary to whatever meat it is you are BBQing. Sauces are a very regional thing, and can be wonderful if done right, but those are best left to people that know what they are doing.
Sure, boiling ribs is appalling, and there's nothing like BBQ from a smoker, but not everyone has access to one. Don't hate on braised ribs; they may not be the absolute pinnacle of BBQ, but if you have good liquid smoke, they're almost as good as smoked ribs, don't require any special equipment or experience, and the sauce is amazing with the rib juices in it.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
An unholy trinity of PL, PIZZA, and CFC...err... ~Imperium~ just dropped a Kadeshi titan in Catch.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 11, 2015

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.
So this T3 is only capable of trolling sov in systems with

* no defenders
* no occupants
* low indexes

and it also must be piloted by someone who has deluded themselves into thinking the progress they make means something, despite the fact that it can be undone up to six times faster.

I suggest you volunteer to troll sov in that thing for a while. See how long until you want to stop.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

various cheeses posted:

Because they are English and they think that any flavor besides "a light salting" is living on the wild side.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

CainFortea posted:

Because they are English and they think that any flavor besides "a light salting" is living on the wild side.

and also because Foot and Mouth disease.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Magic Rabbit Hat posted:

So this T3 is only capable of trolling sov in systems with

* no defenders
* no occupants
* low indexes

I think you missed the point of trolling. The point is to make the defender respond.

itsjustdrew
May 13, 2014
The more you quote me, the worse I post :smug:
ASK ME ABOUT HOW I DON'T NEED TO READ TO PLAY LEAGUE OF LEGENDS

darth cookie posted:

and also because Foot and Mouth disease.

There's not been much of it around since '07, no excuse.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

CainFortea posted:

I think you missed the point of trolling. The point is to make the defender respond.

That will be entertaining for a total of one day before the sov troller refits his ship to AFK cloak and goes back to hotdropping ratters.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Without boiling, how do you get stock?

I have a pork shoulder simmering in a pot of beans and adobo right now, too.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

CommonShore posted:

You boil bones.

RhoA
Jul 20, 2014

Unfunny Poster posted:

An unholy trinity of PL, PIZZA, and CFC...err... ~Imperium~ just dropped a Kadeshi titan in Catch.

Did we adopt a uniform or is that a SIG thing?

vermeul
Sep 14, 2014

Free Acid

vyst posted:

Fyi the only BBQ you can do really well in a slow cooker is pulled pork. You need that caramelization and heavy smoke for other cuts of meat.

that sounds like it would go well with a 12 pack

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

CommonShore posted:

There's a difference between "boiling perfectly good meat in order to eat it" and "boiling the leftover, not-directly-edible meat/bones to produce a stock from them."

RhoA posted:

Did we adopt a uniform or is that a SIG thing?

Some SIGs (most notably Reavers) have mandatory uniforms. No CFC-wide thing.

Unfunny Poster posted:

I landed on grid right as you fuckers volleyed him :(

[22:52:09] Hayley D'Aubigne > the reward for being the first titan on the field
[22:52:16] Hayley D'Aubigne > bridge the dictors ;_;

ullerrm fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 12, 2015

mikey
Sep 22, 2002

AAAAAAAAA

~~AAAAAAAAAAAAAA~~

CommonShore posted:

Making stock is the only time it's acceptable to boil meat, and even then it should be mostly bones with a little leftover meat. A whole pork shoulder should be braised, which implies less liquid (and usually juice/vinegar/alcohol), sub-boiling temperatures, and a long duration. Maybe we're having a confusion of terminology?

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

RIP CCP Gargant. https://twitter.com/CCP_Gargant/status/597893040204820480

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

mikey posted:

Making stock is the only time it's acceptable to boil meat, and even then it should be mostly bones with a little leftover meat. A whole pork shoulder should be braised, which implies less liquid (and usually juice/vinegar/alcohol), sub-boiling temperatures, and a long duration. Maybe we're having a confusion of terminology?

In practice, I've found boiling inexpensive pork is the way to make carnitas (you dry roast it after, then fork it), and it makes awesome stock. It's a win/win, only downside is that it takes a fair bit of time.

That pork stock makes the best risotto - you can do risotto with lots of stocks, but I've found this ends up creating the nicest flavor.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Pressure Cookering Risotto is the secret tip they dont want you to know about. Instead of 20 minutes of add stock, stir, repeat, you do the usual rice (with or without onion) pre-cook/toasting, add in double the rice in broth/stock, give it a stir, slap on the lid, bring to pressure, shhkshhkshhk for 6ish minutes, vent, finish with butter/cheese.

Also it's not really boiling meat but a well-made ragu bolognese meatsauce is so very good.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Anderron Shi posted:

Off-grid and off-scan probes, properly placed in scanner, then hit button, then ~10 seconds of the probes moving into place and scanning, then warp.

The svipul, as stated previously itt, would know which grid you were on, so he would get a 100% hit first scan.

so you're giving someone ~10-15 seconds of warning and assuming that theyre NOT going to hit the "oh poo poo" button? To anyone with even the tinniest bit of common sense, theyre immediately going to hit the mwd the instant they see probes on scan, which they will be mashing every couple seconds. So thats 5-10 seconds of them moving at10km/s before you even land on grid. For comedy bonus options, they have a stratios (some sorta recon, idk what would be best) buddy or something cloaked juuust off grid which they then kite you onto

Again, still not something I'd do, but seems like it'd be pretty easy to get away with if you were 1)awake 2)not an idiot.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I think it might be a good thing that I don't remember this guy.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

Speaking of pork shoulder and pork butt, I like to make pulled pork from it using an injection marinade of apple juice, white grape juice, and sugar. You inject this into the pork about every square inch or so - just a quick squirt because more will start popping out all over the place and make a huge mess - across the top and down the sides, the night before, along with putting your rub on it. The following day you slow-cook/smoke it for 10+ hours. I have a side box on my grill, so I usually just build a very small fire on the far end of the main box to heat the casting and get the draft into the chimney going, then my main fire in the smoke box, and put the meat on the side of the grill near the smoke box. Let the small main-box fire burn out and the smoke and heat from the small box cook the meat the rest of the way. Going to do this on Memorial Day.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

No idea who that is. Is CCP Dolan still there?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ullerrm posted:

I landed on grid right as you fuckers volleyed him :(

[22:52:09] Hayley D'Aubigne > the reward for being the first titan on the field
[22:52:16] Hayley D'Aubigne > bridge the dictors ;_;

It's OK, I've never been on a titan kill even though I was in B-R for 4 hours (none of the titans I shot at died) and was less than 1 minute from getting on that one. :smith:

Libluini posted:

No idea who that is. Is CCP Dolan still there?

He's the one that hosted the Alliance Tournament last year and despite the ~Icelandic awkward phrasing~ he wasn't all that bad either. Nice dude to drink with as well when at Fanfest. Also Dolan quit like a year ago and no one seems to have missed him much since nothing under his watch fell apart. CCP Leeloo seems far more competent at managing the CSM than him.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 01:20 on May 12, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
didn't dolan go on to riot as some sort of useless lackey

• Locked thread