Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wasabi the J posted:

He was the greatest, but not a mythological being.

This post owns, thanks for that. I wouldn't mind more posts on great boxers.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
Tyson was better imo.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

He was also goddamn terrifying (and still is, to some degree).

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Sire Oblivion posted:

KozmoNaut posted:

[Tyson] was also goddamn terrifying (and still is, to some degree).

edit:

Captain Lavender has a new favorite as of 22:29 on May 11, 2015

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory

Kikka posted:

Tyson was better imo.

KozmoNaut posted:

Yeah he's pretty loving terrifying. He claims he didn't commit rape, and I'm not sure the jury that convicted him gave a black man a fair shake, but this is how he behaves *in front of a camera and a crowd* . . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph-5cuJgVRs

And this is how he behaved when he's arguing that he was wrongfully convicted . . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umbKUE6-k5s

And so I have to apologize for doing this in the gif thread but I just wanna point out that any gifs of Mike Tyson throwing a mean punch are still gifs of a sack of poo poo being a sack of poo poo.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I dunno, Tyson's not all that, I mean there was that time he lost to that tiny little white dude.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

If you told me that his man never walked again or that he died at that moment I'd believe you. Christ.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Literally Esoteric posted:

Yeah he's pretty loving terrifying. He claims he didn't commit rape, and I'm not sure the jury that convicted him gave a black man a fair shake, but this is how he behaves *in front of a camera and a crowd* . . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph-5cuJgVRs

And this is how he behaved when he's arguing that he was wrongfully convicted . . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umbKUE6-k5s

And so I have to apologize for doing this in the gif thread but I just wanna point out that any gifs of Mike Tyson throwing a mean punch are still gifs of a sack of poo poo being a sack of poo poo.

Whoa good point I'm pretty sure most people have forgotten that Mike Tyson raped someone and is a hosed up weirdo, thanks for reminding us.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

In recent years tyson has seemed to be trying to repent or something for the poo poo he did. It's kind of terrifying, because he seems really appologetic but he's still unstable and you think he can just lose it at any time.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
From a Regular Car Reviews clip:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Fightin' gifs?

Literally Esoteric
Jun 13, 2012

One final, furious struggle...then a howl of victory

Grem posted:

Whoa good point I'm pretty sure most people have forgotten that Mike Tyson raped someone and is a hosed up weirdo, thanks for reminding us.

Featured: A gif of a man who most people forgot raped someone and is a hosed up cruel human being, so they paid him to be in popular-funny-movie:

I don't know how a human being can even say just the things he's said without publicly apologizing and denouncing what he's done, much less do the things he's done.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
Eternal Champions CD was rad as gently caress

http://i.minus.com/iHmO1qow0nHAC.gif
http://i.minus.com/iXxtN7GGaY9JZ.gif
http://i.minus.com/ibneQqG2qzIhSA.gif
http://i.minus.com/iXyFEQ1oudE2s.gif
http://i.minus.com/iYz4AXMzYVvFa.gif
:nws:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Sire Oblivion posted:

I'm really new to watching the sport; my mom was an amateur boxer in the late nineties when that wasn't really a thing yet, and ended up quitting before her first real bout, when we went to a fight at the Orleans (in Vegas) where some dude loving died from a knockout. Lost my passion for a long time, so being introduced to all the great poo poo that's happened in the last 15-20 years, and my shallow knowledge as a child, puts me at a disadvantage with some other people. I'll try to do more stuff later though.

Kikka posted:

Tyson was better imo.

He was a MUCH better hitter, and was much more economical; he was also much more orthodox in his stance and style, so it's much easier to compare him directly against other boxers (he dominated the field).

His punches were loving SAVAGE and he let a lot of poo poo slide off the top of his head so he could crush his opponents jaw with an uppercut.

As a kid I thought this was because he had a "cone head", but now I know it's just because he tucked his chin deep as gently caress, and stayed really square, which allowed him to have strong hooks and jabs. This is the Peek-a-Boo style his coach Cus D'Amato taught him.

He was short and heavy, which got him under a few defenses; he had broad shoulders that made up for his lack of reach a bit.

There's a great article about Mike Tyson's style that breaks down how he did so well.

KozmoNaut posted:

Agreed. I always felt a tinge of guilt praising his style, but he was a world-class athlete, and honestly a bit tragic as a person. I think he should make an apology public, but I'm not sure it would do well for his image (which is how he makes money, if we're being honest) to bring up his horrible crimes.

Wasabi the J has a new favorite as of 13:18 on May 12, 2015

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Mayweather beats women, Pacquiao is homophobic, Tyson is a rapist. Odd how people whose job is to beat up other people have character flaws and don't mesh well in polite society.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I know when I search for the paragon of gentlemanly sports, I look to the combat arts

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

I guess the emergency exit windows DO pop out. :v:

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Pudding Space
Mar 19, 2014

Krispy Kareem posted:

Mayweather beats women, Pacquiao is homophobic, Tyson is a rapist. Odd how people whose job is to beat up other people have character flaws and don't mesh well in polite society.

It's as if years of blows to the head had somehow affected their capacity for a rational and nuanced consideration of these issues.

If only they would make public apologies read from a statement that has been pre-written by their management. All would be forgiven, and we could move on to the real problems facing society. Like fictional X-men calling other fictional X-men 'sluts'. Or actors not behaving exactly like their characters in vampire shows.

The Repo Man
Jul 31, 2013

I Remember...

Krispy Kareem posted:

Genki Sudo turned out alright

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Pudding Space posted:

It's as if years of blows to the head had somehow affected their capacity for a rational and nuanced consideration of these issues.

If only they would make public apologies read from a statement that has been pre-written by their management. All would be forgiven, and we could move on to the real problems facing society. Like fictional X-men calling other fictional X-men 'sluts'. Or actors not behaving exactly like their characters in vampire shows.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Pudding Space posted:

Tyson was 23 years old when he lost to Douglas, which was largely blamed on his mental decline. He was just barely 25 when he raped Desiree Washington. Mayweather's entire career has been about not getting hit. It's unlikely that either man's actions are the result of accumulated trauma from the sport of boxing.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Repo Man posted:

Genki Sudo turned out alright

Wasn't he always a Pretty Cool Dude™ though?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Burn your retinas out

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
is Kung Fury out?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

:stare:

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

What are these from?

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

SlothBear posted:

What are these from?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Little kid's got a bright future ahead of 'em.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Adbot