Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
It would need to detect and disqualify sharts or things would get messy fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Right, needs to be true gas and not full poop in your pants. Maybe a hygrometer probe to go in you pants.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

How about something useful with a probe in your rear end to determine oncoming fart or shart? Simple green/red LED affair.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

How about something useful with a probe in your rear end to determine oncoming fart or shart? Simple green/red LED affair.

I'll take my chances, I'm not putting a probe up my rear end.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
That fart machine must've been made by Pumpy Muffinz since he's acting so butthurt.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

That fart machine must've been made by Pumpy Muffinz since he's acting so butthurt.

:wth:

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

His fart levels are probably way off.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
lol losers I go to fart school so you're all hosed

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

senrath posted:

Ah, now I feel better. On the one hand, I've wasted time arguing with a troll. On the other hand I'm relieved that he's not actually that stupid.

Until you prove otherwise the verdict is that he's really that stupid. I've seen too many people 100% unironically make the same loving posts as him (and at least one of them is a goon) and several have later posted on Facebook asking if anyone had extra keys for games like WL2 or Divinity.

:eyepop:

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

MIITO – the sustainable alternative to the electric kettle
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/747044530/miito-the-sustainable-alternative-to-the-electric
An $84 induction heater for boiling a single cup of water. Since it uses induction you can't use it with metal cups. I'm wondering if these 560 backers forgot they already own a microwave.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Germstore posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/747044530/miito-the-sustainable-alternative-to-the-electric
An $84 induction heater for boiling a single cup of water. Since it uses induction you can't use it with metal cups. I'm wondering if these 560 backers forgot they already own a microwave.

I thought induction needed to be metal, and more specifically magnetic metal. Obviously the magic stick is the work around.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Marshmallow Blue posted:

I thought induction needed to be metal, and more specifically magnetic metal. Obviously the magic stick is the work around.

The "magic stick" is the metal part that heats up. This is pretty much a high tech way of heating up rocks, then dumping them into your liquid to heat it.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Germstore posted:

this really doesn't seem that awful honestly

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
I'm not sure why you wouldn't just use a regular metal induction teapot but yeah, not that awful really.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Nagato posted:

I've given money to five different Kickstarters, up to $40-$50, and never got any of the rewards promised. They were all art and environment projects I really cared about (no preorder phone bullshit), so I guess I'm ok with that, but I hope they see completion someday.

I've backed 4 games and a CD
So far I've got 1 of the games (Doublefine Adventure)
Only one of the other games is overdue now

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Bubble-T posted:

I'm not sure why you wouldn't just use a regular metal induction teapot but yeah, not that awful really.

Well, you might not have an induction cooktop or hotplate.

Electric kettles are actually really good at turning electricity into hot water, though. Their marketing attack on them seems to be "wasteful, because you overfill the kettle and waste water and electricity heating water you don't need." The solution to that would seem to be...not overfilling the kettle.

That said, this is a pretty cool toy.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Germstore posted:

Using a microwave is a really lovely way to make tea. That said, electric kettles are cheap, useful, and plentiful already, so it would be an extremely niche appliance. They're obviously targeting a specific market though.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
How is it better than a regular immersion heater? I guess it may be slightly safer, maybe? Bet then a kettle is still way safer.

E:

quote:

SAFETY: MIITO’s design is safe for children since the top of the base always stays cold.
Because a child would never want to touch the base itself, I guess.

Paladinus has a new favorite as of 14:43 on May 12, 2015

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

The advantage they list over immersion heater is safety. Over microwaves it is that it doesn't heat the vessel as much (and it's smaller than a microwave, but you already have a microwave for other uses). Over electric kettles it is that it saves a few ounces of water. I guess the niche for this is someone who has no room for the smallest compromise when it comes to heating up a cup of water.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Electric kettles are actually really good at turning electricity into hot water, though. Their marketing attack on them seems to be "wasteful, because you overfill the kettle and waste water and electricity heating water you don't need." The solution to that would seem to be...not overfilling the kettle.

That said, this is a pretty cool toy.

Alternatively, leave the kettle with the leftover water on the stove. But yeah.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Germstore posted:

The advantage they list over immersion heater is safety. Over microwaves it is that it doesn't heat the vessel as much (and it's smaller than a microwave, but you already have a microwave for other uses). Over electric kettles it is that it saves a few ounces of water. I guess the niche for this is someone who has no room for the smallest compromise when it comes to heating up a cup of water.

The market for this is literally my parents - enough money that the cost doesn't matter, small kitchen, and interested in new/sustainable tech. They're the kind of people that bought one of those crazy expensive bioethanol fireplaces.

Which isn't to say that buying this things makes sense, but the idea and the kickstarter do.

Phanatic posted:

Seems like this could be designed as a mobile one pretty easily, but maybe I don't understand the tech well enough. I suppose it might not be high powered enough.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
We use this for our single cup needs. I think I paid about £25 at the time.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Germstore posted:

It would need to detect and disqualify sharts or things would get messy fast.

It has gps so I think anyone brave enough to poo poo themselves in public should have it count as the ultimate fart when it comes to claiming territory

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Fauxtool posted:

It has gps so I think anyone brave enough to poo poo themselves in public should have it count as the ultimate fart when it comes to claiming territory

You know, a "crop duster" app where you try and occupy the most stench of your hometown would probably be a hit.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Germstore posted:

A Kickstarter inspired by a TED Talk - a glorious trainwreck.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Is it really so hard not to overfill your kettle that you need a new technology to make you conscious about it?

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
kickstarter is the new idiot tax

the lottery for the poors, kickstarter for the rest

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Kickstarter needs to allow equity.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
wait am i supposed to empty my teakettle completely every time i use it, because i just add new water to the water i didn't use, am i gonna get a disease and die

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

pathetic little tramp posted:

wait am i supposed to empty my teakettle completely every time i use it, because i just add new water to the water i didn't use, am i gonna get a disease and die

No because you kill anything that survived in there by near boiling it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Stux posted:

its literally just a project saying "we'll make it anyway from our own pocket, but if people want to donate we can make the game bigger and release it on other platforms which we wouldn't be able to do otherwise" and then people donated. you're getting v mad over something that isn't an issue in even the slightest way

So Doobie got twice his funding goal, came back to the well for another $3k before selling all his own poo poo to get the money and everyone said "gently caress that guy, what an rear end in a top hat!" But the makers of a console nostalgia game make ten times their goal, come back to the well twice for $200k each time, and it's "Jeez, you're getting mad over nothing". Right.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Jedit posted:

So Doobie got twice his funding goal, came back to the well for another $3k before selling all his own poo poo to get the money and everyone said "gently caress that guy, what an rear end in a top hat!" But the makers of a console nostalgia game make ten times their goal, come back to the well twice for $200k each time, and it's "Jeez, you're getting mad over nothing". Right.
Most people couldn't give a gently caress about Doobie so yeah you're mad about nothing.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

pathetic little tramp posted:

if you do this long enough you'll enrich the amount of heavy water in your teakettle.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

if you do this long enough you'll enrich the amount of heavy water in your teakettle.

Do you mean hard water? I wouldn't imagine heavy water would accumulate.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Germstore posted:

Do you mean hard water? I wouldn't imagine heavy water would accumulate.

Heavy water definitely accumulates. One particularly lucrative option is selling that heavy water to laboratories or ritual healers in the area for use in potions. Drinking heavy water isn't recommended as it will gradually replace the regular water in your body, resulting in a sluggish frame.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Heavy water is also poisonous... if you replace about half the regular water in your body with it.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Wouldn't you also dilute it back down when you add new water back in? And at some-point you end up boiling just enough to fill you tea pot or cup.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
Is there a technical reason that metal rod is twice as tall as a regular kettle?

I just imagine a child taking the metal rod and beating a cat to death with it, or bending it beyond recognition, or tossing it in the yard. I imagine accidentally bending the poo poo out of it while taking it out of a drawer. I imagine my roommate taking advantage of the flanged nature of its end.

They should just give up on the kettle thing and turn it into an induction-heated branding iron.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

ErIog posted:

Is there a technical reason that metal rod is twice as tall as a regular kettle?

The rod heats up to heat the water, so they need the length so the tiny amount of silicon coating actually insulates you from the heat at that point, if it was only the height of a regular coffee cup you would have to use oven mitts to take it out even with the coating.

Rudager has a new favorite as of 02:06 on May 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Wouldn't you also dilute it back down when you add new water back in? And at some-point you end up boiling just enough to fill you tea pot or cup.

Maybe it's homeopathic heavy water