Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Any tips for the Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor DLC?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

The game's big enough that I'm not exactly itching to repeat content at this point, but I figure it'll be good to know for if I run out of easy outposts and I haven't done 2 of them undetected yet.

There's tons of outposts, so you'll have plenty of chances. It gets easier once you get a silenced sniper rifle, but one thing to note is that if you keep out of sight and call in mercs to go to the middle of the outpost, that doesn't count as you getting spotted. Feel free to abuse that.

e: Likewise, freeing or luring in animals doesn't count as you being spotted. As long as they don't see you you're good. That also means that if someone thinks they see you but you get away before the "sense" indicator turns red, you're good.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 12, 2015

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
If you played the base game you're probably already an Orc-suplexing machine, so go nuts, the game explains the new mechanics fine as they come up.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

This thread is literally my last hope of figuring out obscure stuff about an obscure game (Anachronox, the boards for which are absolutely dead and get one reply weeks after the fact)

How the bloody gently caress do I make a specific character use a specific elementor setup? I finally managed to get 8 cobalt bugs, set up an elementor with all 8 of them and real ultimate power, but... I don't have the ultimate spell unlocked, my characters don't throw out particularly powerful spells otherwise, and the default elementor that opens when I click "elementor" alternates randomly between this setup and a random bivice.

(Jesus gently caress is this post probably arcane for someone who didn't play that game)

Edit - I'm literally retarded. When you equip magic, you can equip a specific bit of mystech - Fire, Firestorm, Firaga and so on... or a specific elementor configuration you've constructed (and hopefully renamed) yourself. Welp. Good thing I only figured that out at the very end of the game.

Editx2 - I've equipped an 8-coblat-bug elementor, and a Vigil power cell. Come the almost penultimate(?) fight, my magic was disabled. Just... no icon for magic spells. Why? gently caress me, that's why, I guess. Rage-uninstalled the game.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 9, 2015

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Can't help you there, but if it's any consolation, using magic is completely unnecessary to finish the game. It's way weaker than your usual attacks.

Orv
May 4, 2011

RatHat posted:

Any tips for the Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor DLC?

Abuse your new toys.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fat Samurai posted:

Can't help you there, but if it's any consolation, using magic is completely unnecessary to finish the game. It's way weaker than your usual attacks.

It'll be more important in the sequel :v:.

:negative:.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

PantsBandit posted:

So after putting about 4 hours into Prison Architect, I now have a prison that WOULD be functional if not for the constant riots and general chaos that pervades it. I think I'm just going to need to start a new prison rather than try and salvage this one, but before I do does anyone have any tips?

Here's my current prison for reference: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=441407843l

Yes I know some of the cells are weirdly sized, just ignore that.

A lot of rioting problems can be mitigated with tweaking the schedule and adjusting punishments accordingly. Sometimes there's an issue with prisoners getting to a thing on time to actually do it, like the showers, or eating. You already have the showers next to the Canteen, and scheduling showers before eating is a common trick.

Other things:
-Make sure to check Grants and get those done, you'll get more money and they provide a direction for you to head in.
-Having your security chief's office near the cells seems odd. I forget if snitches have to go there or the Security Office to check in though.
-Make sure you meet requirements for rooms, if you hover over them they should say what they are. Several of yours are too small by the looks of it.
-Solitary cells can be 1 square, they only require a solitary cell door, toilets are optional, but should keep those prisoners in better spirits.
-I can't tell how many guards you have but it doesn't look like enough, that might be the cause of the riots by itself.
-Architecturally you need to make it easier for prisoners to get places, long cell blocks that have dead ends don't help. Try leaving room for hallways between cell blocks and other areas, block them off with a large cell door, right-click and leave it open, it'll just be for lock-downs basically.

Overall it seems like a lot of your problems are just money related. Selling that prison and using that money to make another can help, doing the Grants should set you up well enough though. Also it's been a bit since I played, so hopefully I'm not just dead wrong about a lot of this :ohdear:...I don't remember there being a Reception room for instance.

Edit: Oh, didn't realize that was actually a link to the prison, thought it was just a screenshot. I can mess around with it more later if it'd help.

Edit2: Also Tab cycles through items on the same tile, and the PA thread is here if you haven't already bothered with it.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 12, 2015

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

Xander77 posted:

(Jesus gently caress is this post probably arcane for someone who didn't play that game)

Posts like this are the reason I have this thread bookmarked.

Combat-Jack posted:

Grabbed The misadventures of tron bonne on PSN, any pointers?

Loved this game, don't remember anything critical. Uh...

* Beacon bomb everything. Loot a house, loot the people that your looting drives out, then destroy the house and loot the rubble. If your enemies have shields, steal their shields and sell them for cash.

* There's a mini-game to raise your Servbots' attack that involves throwing bombs at pop-up targets. If you stand vertically halfway between two targets, you can hit them both with a single throw.

* For the puzzle missions that involve stealing cargo, I seem to remember you can get a little bonus loot by running around and shooting your beacon at suspicious bits of the scenery. If I remember correctly, you might have to shift some of the cargo around to get to some of them?

* "Look Miss Tron, it's a treasure box! Can we use the Card Key to open it?"

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It'll be more important in the sequel :v:.

:negative:.

You are a horrible person :(

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Xander77 posted:

Editx2 - I've equipped an 8-coblat-bug elementor, and a Vigil power cell. Come the almost penultimate(?) fight, my magic was disabled. Just... no icon for magic spells. Why? gently caress me, that's why, I guess. Rage-uninstalled the game.

What? No, finish the goddamn game! If you're fighting the mob boss from the beginning that's the end, just beat his rear end and watch the blue balls inducing ending you owe yourself that much for getting so far.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

For Far Cry 4 when the game asks you to stay there and eat or whatever just stay there, it takes like 10 minutes but seriously just stay there.

Does anyone have anything for State of Decay? I can FINALLY play it so I wanted some tips before I got too far in to restart.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Brightman posted:

A lot of rioting problems can be mitigated with tweaking the schedule and adjusting punishments accordingly. Sometimes there's an issue with prisoners getting to a thing on time to actually do it, like the showers, or eating. You already have the showers next to the Canteen, and scheduling showers before eating is a common trick.

Other things:
-Make sure to check Grants and get those done, you'll get more money and they provide a direction for you to head in.
-Having your security chief's office near the cells seems odd. I forget if snitches have to go there or the Security Office to check in though.
-Make sure you meet requirements for rooms, if you hover over them they should say what they are. Several of yours are too small by the looks of it.
-Solitary cells can be 1 square, they only require a solitary cell door, toilets are optional, but should keep those prisoners in better spirits.
-I can't tell how many guards you have but it doesn't look like enough, that might be the cause of the riots by itself.
-Architecturally you need to make it easier for prisoners to get places, long cell blocks that have dead ends don't help. Try leaving room for hallways between cell blocks and other areas, block them off with a large cell door, right-click and leave it open, it'll just be for lock-downs basically.

Overall it seems like a lot of your problems are just money related. Selling that prison and using that money to make another can help, doing the Grants should set you up well enough though. Also it's been a bit since I played, so hopefully I'm not just dead wrong about a lot of this :ohdear:...I don't remember there being a Reception room for instance.

Edit: Oh, didn't realize that was actually a link to the prison, thought it was just a screenshot. I can mess around with it more later if it'd help.

Edit2: Also Tab cycles through items on the same tile, and the PA thread is here if you haven't already bothered with it.

Thanks for the help! I feel like the game would greatly benefit from a more involved tutorial. Just showing you how to build a room and then throwing you in the deep end seems a bit much. It would be cool if, for example, your staff members would give you suggestions based on issues in the prison.

Oh, and it'd be nice if you could influence the difficulty. Maybe make it so the prisoners are less needy when you're first starting, so that you can focus on building your prison the way you want it without having to worry about them smashing their toilets up.

I started a second prison last night (]) and, while I think it's put together more efficiently, I'm already running into money issues and my danger level is high. Think I'm just going to sell it and start over again.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 12, 2015

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

PantsBandit posted:

Thanks for the help! I feel like the game would greatly benefit from a more involved tutorial. Just showing you how to build a room and then throwing you in the deep end seems a bit much. It would be cool if, for example, your staff members would give you suggestions based on issues in the prison.

Oh, and it'd be nice if you could influence the difficulty. Maybe make it so the prisoners are less needy when you're first starting, so that you can focus on building your prison the way you want it without having to worry about them smashing their toilets up.

I started a second prison last night (]) and, while I think it's put together more efficiently, I'm already running into money issues and my danger level is high. Think I'm just going to sell it and start over again.
Difficulty is found by increasing or decreasing the flow of prisoners, you can actually turn off the new arrivals.

It's still early access and a better tutorial is planned I believe, but yeah, it's sorta problematic right now.

Edit: Okay, played it again for a few hours to get a feel for the new junk, not much there really, they did move the bureaucracy button up to the top (the little warden), so that's something. That's basically your tech tree, make a bunch of offices to hire the staff that research junk starting with the warden. The Accountant can let you do an extra grant at a time, the Foreman opens up grounds keeping which you can use for selling lumber. It looks like you might just need more guards that are deployed to each place appropriately to help with riots. To further help with money you can lean on the Holding Cell for a while and just save up to build cells. Your cells are larger than they need to be, 2x3, which if you get the lawyer can be reduced to 1x3 easily.

Abuse the hell out of the planning tool.

Brightman fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 13, 2015

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

I think I'm gonna go ahead and start a new game of State of Decay. Can someone give me some tips that will help me play most efficiently?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

juliuspringle posted:

For Far Cry 4 when the game asks you to stay there and eat or whatever just stay there, it takes like 10 minutes but seriously just stay there.

The part at the very beginning, in the palace, with the crab rangoon? I'm already past that, what happens if you stay?

e: I remembered that google exists, never mind

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

All this talk of Far Cry makes it sound quite good. Should I just jump in at the most recent game, or is there a story that I need to follow from game one?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Scientastic posted:

Should I just jump in at the most recent game, or is there a story that I need to follow from game one?
Absolutely not. Each entry is a completely separate story. 3 and 4 are basically the same game (rear end Creed 2 and Brotherhood, if you will) and share some thematic similarities / universe, but the story is still separate.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Scientastic posted:

All this talk of Far Cry makes it sound quite good. Should I just jump in at the most recent game, or is there a story that I need to follow from game one?
All the stories are standalone.

Far Cry 1 is a brilliant game and still my pick for best of the series. It's nothing like the follow-ups and is very much a hard-as-nails early-2000s PC FPS with some rough edges. If you can deal with that, I guarantee you'll have a good time, up until 2/3 of the way through when they introduce the lovely mutant enemies. There are still a fair few good levels after that though.

Far Cry 2 is generally considered to be a game with some really good ideas that's overall a bit of a chore to play. I got bored with it after a few hours. You drive around the same overly-large maps over and over going through insanely respawning checkpoints and being forced to fight the same baddies over and over. When you reach a fun part, it's very fun, but those are just all too rare.

3 and 4 are very similar and aren't much like the previous two at all, being an FPS twist on the standard modern-UbiSoft big open world with loads of sidequests to wander about and complete and no real difficulty or challenge to speak of. If you're going to play one, it might as well be 4.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

If you play FC4 make sure and try out the coop. It's fun solo but all the best parts come when you've got someone else in the game with you.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I despise playing video games with other people... I know that's an aberrant attitude, but it's more of a solitary pursuit for me, basically an excuse for some time to myself!

Is that going to hamper my enjoyment of FC4 to any great extent?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Scientastic posted:

I despise playing video games with other people... I know that's an aberrant attitude, but it's more of a solitary pursuit for me, basically an excuse for some time to myself!

No, the coop is pretty limited in what you can do anyways. But if you enjoy FC4, FC3 is worth a try too.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Scientastic posted:

Yeah, you're fine. It's primarily the difference between blowing an elephant 30 feet into the air with plastic explosive and going "HOLY poo poo THAT WAS AWESOME" compared to doing the same but going "HOLY poo poo DID YOU SEE HOW AWESOME THAT WAS?!"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

All the stories are standalone.

Far Cry 1 is a brilliant game and still my pick for best of the series. It's nothing like the follow-ups and is very much a hard-as-nails early-2000s PC FPS with some rough edges. If you can deal with that, I guarantee you'll have a good time, up until 2/3 of the way through when they introduce the lovely mutant enemies. There are still a fair few good levels after that though.

The lovely mutants (shitants) are introduced in the 6th level (out of 20). Fortunately there's still few good merc levels after that.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

You could also check out Far Cry Blood Dragon which is short, cheap, and great.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

kazil posted:

You could also check out Far Cry Blood Dragon which is short, cheap, and great.

It's a standalone expansion to 3 so you don't even need 3 to play it. I don't know that I'd recommend it as your FIRST far cry game because it's very weird, but also a lot of fun and a really neat premise. You can tell they had a lot of fun making that game, and it shows.

I'm phone posting but someone should post the trailer for it, that tells you all you need to know.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Kennel posted:

The lovely mutants (shitants) are introduced in the 6th level (out of 20). Fortunately there's still few good merc levels after that.

It really doesn't get too bad until the guys with the rocket launchers show up.

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm phone posting but someone should post the trailer for it, that tells you all you need to know.

Still the best game trailer I've seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dofacvjRkc

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Anyone got anything for Miasmata (and State of Decay)?

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

juliuspringle posted:

Does anyone have anything for State of Decay? I can FINALLY play it so I wanted some tips before I got too far in to restart.
You're surprisingly strong in melee, you can buzz saw through zombies, the games not really difficult. The only base worth taking is the loading dock thing, so explore southwest until you find it before you move somewhere that sucks

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
For miasmata if you leave the trails you're going to have a bad time (get lost). It's easy to go up a river and sort of short circuit the story a bit even while uncovering the map but the story's meant to be discovered in a specific order so stick to the trails and the guide note path when you can. Learn the triangulation thing, it's the whole game mechanic. Don't wander around hurt, top yourself off as fast as you can because it attracts the monster. When he comes, duck into a bush and stay still, you'll be fine

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I know it's an exploring game but seriously stick to the trails or you're gonna tumble down a hill you can't get up again and spend an hour trying to work your way back to somewhere you recognize. You can't uncover the map without one known landmark and so all that tine you'll be unable to make overall progress. It sucks and it will happen to you, just stay on the trails

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

juliuspringle posted:

Anyone got anything for Miasmata?

The article on beforeiplay.com has some good advice. What I'm saying is basically an addition:
- It mentions the path splitting in the beginning and being able to go west or east. Definitely go east first. You can find the ingredients to the perception emphasis medicine (permanent) there so you never have to bother with the perception buff medicine (temporary).
- There are some flowers that when you research them will say that they do nothing. Notes you find will reference them, but they are basically a cut feature from the game. There is no reason to keep them around, they actually do nothing.
- The head statues on high hills and/or mountains will make mapping so much easier. Unless you are ill and without medicine, always climb them to triangulate your environment.
- One bug I constantly ran into is that if you bring up the map and exit out before it zooms in, it will lock your mouse movement unless you bring up the map again. Just get into the habit of always leaving the map up for a couple seconds.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Is it worth it to barricade windows in State of Decay? Because I would do that but then when I would play more later the barricades would be gone even though no one was dead and no zombies had entered the base.

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

juliuspringle posted:

Is it worth it to barricade windows in State of Decay? Because I would do that but then when I would play more later the barricades would be gone even though no one was dead and no zombies had entered the base.

Barricades are useful in events where you defend a house from a horde of zombies. In every other instance they pretty much do nothing.

If defending your base while you're out is what you're looking to do, outposts are the way to go. Zombies will almost never get past a decent perimeter of outposts.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Any tips for Dino Crisis please? I heard it's a bit different from the RE games mechanically

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Convex posted:

Any tips for Dino Crisis please? I heard it's a bit different from the RE games mechanically

Don't play Dino Crisis 3. Something actually useful is you can combine medkits to make stronger ones. http://dinocrisis.wikia.com/wiki/Med_Pak

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Picked up Alpha Protocol on steam for $3, always heard it's an interesting game.

All I remember people suggesting is that you spec pistols/stealth because it lets you breeze through the lovely combat. Anything else? Mods to download?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Captain Beans posted:

Picked up Alpha Protocol on steam for $3, always heard it's an interesting game.

All I remember people suggesting is that you spec pistols/stealth because it lets you breeze through the lovely combat. Anything else? Mods to download?
Nah, going hard for pistols is really the only important thing, and stealth is helpful. You'll also want some points in Sabotage as it allows you to use EMPs to bypass minigames if you're bored or frustrated.

Other than that, just don't play on Hard, and remember - there are literally no wrong choices, only consequences. It's a game that is totally worth multiple playthroughs. There's even still a thread for it where people will enjoy your reactions as you play http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3423015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Captain Beans posted:

Dunno if you've done so yet, but the Wiki has a ton of advice. But yeah, do as theshim says and defiantly put points into sabatoage so you can use EMPs. I loved the game, hated the mini-games.