Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whoisjasonk
Jun 30, 2010

Ninja Editor
Fun Shoe

bowling 4 buttcoins posted:

Sync 3 is a pretty massive change since after having the smaller Sync unit (no touch screen) I'd personally like to opt for the uprated system.

The updated touch aspect of Sync 3 seems cool, but holy gently caress it is obnoxiously ugly compared to the current UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
So I was the jerk that had a exhaust leak in my 04 GT. Got a shop to install a new midpipe for me and it fixed the problem until a month later my cats started to rattle. Shop wanted another $200 to r&r so I figured I'd give a shot at it. Took up most of my day but I now have the same smooth idle, no exhaust leak, and the sound seems to be the same as before. Time will tell if the cats start falling apart again, but I feel pretty drat good having never done a job like this before.

Once I undid all the bolts I had to ask Slow is Fast what to do, he said to kick the hell out of it. I gave it a few good whacks with my palm and suddenly I have 30lbs of exhaust falling on my chest. It was then I realized I only unhooked two of the o2 sensors, so I had to prop the exhaust up with my head while I poked around the sensors with a screwdriver trying to undue them. And I have about 20 stones in my hair now. Fun stuff.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
You have now earned a wrench badge on your man card.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

kalvick posted:

You have now earned a wrench badge on your man card.
You helped me out a bunch too, thanks. :)

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Changed the spark plugs today. I had 4 original motorcrafts in there (69k miles), and 4 champion plugs. What?

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

Cage posted:

Changed the spark plugs today. I had 4 original motorcrafts in there (69k miles), and 4 champion plugs. What?

someone didnt want to do the back ones lol

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Been feeling a knot in my stomach all day. My warranty claimed cat arrived at rock auto today, and Im worried that they're going to deny the warranty. I had the car checked out at a shop and they didnt find any problems, but I did notice the cats were a little discolored when I shipped it back.

Its a lot of money to be hanging in the air and its totally bummed me out from driving the car lately.

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Good luck. loving Rock Auto.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001

Cage posted:

Been feeling a knot in my stomach all day. My warranty claimed cat arrived at rock auto today, and Im worried that they're going to deny the warranty. I had the car checked out at a shop and they didnt find any problems, but I did notice the cats were a little discolored when I shipped it back.

Its a lot of money to be hanging in the air and its totally bummed me out from driving the car lately.

wait what happened? I thought you just fixed it?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I bought the 1st cat and had a shop install it the last week in march. Everything was perfect for about 3-4 weeks until I started to hear a rattling coming from underneath. Took it to the shop that installed it and they found it was the catalyst inside banging around. Said that I should return it because its probably a defective cat, but to also get my engine checked out to make sure it there wasn't something sent into the exhaust that would make the catalyst melt and detach, he recommended another auto shop since this place just deals with exhaust systems. So I did, paid $90 for some diagnostic testing and the only thing he found was some carbon deposits so he hooked up some machine to clean the fuel injectors and I was on my way.

Talked to rockauto, the guy authorized the return but he wanted me to buy a 2nd one, install it and then send the old one back. The shop I had it installed at wanted another $200 to remove & replace, so I figured I could give it a shot myself. Thats what I did last weekend. When I told them I was ready to send the old part back they opened up an rma ticket and suddenly they started to put this in all the emails

Rockauto email posted:

Regarding Performance Defects: All converters have a 50,000 mile performance warranty (Federal Law is 25,000 miles). Performance failures are difficult to determine. 1. Converters that show signs of excessive heat, usually by being discolored, and fail any performance criteria, are not defective, but instead have been abused by an improperly functioning engine, usually the result of an excessive rich condition that expels high amounts of unburned fuel into the converter causing temperature spikes. These converters are NOT defective and may not be returned for credit. 2. When a converter is installed due to a MIL or "check engine light" illumination, and the new converter fails to remedy to the problem, it may be that the converter was not the cause of the problem originally. There are over 1,200 diagnostic codes which can trigger the MIL or the “check engine light.” Only eight (8) of those codes deal with the right and left converters operating below effic! iency. Documentation from a trained mechanic indicating the code number designation, diagnostic details, and repair must be included with returned converter to obtain credit.
I don't know that much about cats and exhaust systems so I started to get worried that they would deny the warranty. I noticed that the rear cats were a little discolored when I sent them back. I know they get extremely hot but Im not sure how much discoloration is normal for a V8 after 4 weeks, I wish I would've taken a picture. But on the other hand the problem was with the rear cats, so if there was some sort of unburnt fuel getting superheated or whatever I would think that it would mess up the upstream cats first before the downstream.

So the part got delivered to them yesterday, and this was the email I got:

Rockauto email posted:

Your return package, tracking number 215197018094357, was delivered by FedEx on May 7, 2015. Please allow three business days for our warehouse staff to inspect the items you returned. If everything is OK, we will issue credit to your Visa account. We will send you an email letting you know when the credit has been issued. Please note that some banks take several days to post credits to customer accounts.

So I have nothing to do but twiddle my thumbs and hope that I can get my $600 back. If they deny it then Ill probably have to pay another $65 for them to ship it back to me too.

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
I would not worry about it. If they wont give you a refund, you can always dispute it with your credit card company. it shouldn't rattle after 4 weeks.
cats get hot, so they have to discolor a bit. a disfunctional engine is not going to make a cat rattle. Thats obviously something not connected tight in the converter.
also it was professionally installed, so if rockauto said the install was the cause of the mess up, you can go to the guy that installed it to get your money back.

Anyways, I wouldnt lose sleep over it. You still have options.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Wait something rock auto sells cost $600? For a ford?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I live in NY so I had to buy the CARB compliant exhaust, which adds about $140 to the cost.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
2016s:
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/05/11/2016-ford-mustang-gets-new-packages-trim-and-hood-vent-turn-sig/

Sync 3 confirmed. CS confirmed. An EB pony package confirmed.
Also those dumbass turn signals in the hood are going to be standard on GTs. :(

edit: and ordering guide: http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22880

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 11, 2015

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
So they're basically an external turn signal indicator. And people requested this? :psyduck:

Faded Mars
Jul 1, 2004

It is I, his chronicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga.
It's probably a call-back to the turn-signal hoods you could get for some of the 1st gen cars. And hey, the turn signals hood on a 67/8/9 look pretty cool.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

Dick Burglar posted:

So they're basically an external turn signal indicator. And people requested this? :psyduck:
Nobody requested it, 100% them deciding to do it as a throwback cue.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Autoblog posted:

For starters, Ford is bringing back the turn indicators integrated into the hood vents, first launched on the Mustang nearly half a century ago, which will now be fitted as standard on the Mustang GT. The feature was apparently requested by customers,

Of course I assume that line came from Ford so yeah it could well be bullshit.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Do you think we've already hit the price floor on clean fox bodies?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

sudo rm -rf posted:

Do you think we've already hit the price floor on clean fox bodies?

That was a while back, I'd say that fox bodies in good shape are at least holding their value from here on out for sure.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Twerk from Home posted:

That was a while back, I'd say that fox bodies in good shape are at least holding their value from here on out for sure.

Seems like that was 10 years ago, yeah. Clean five-ohs are like $4-5k now, and I don't see them getting any cheaper.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.

Faded Mars posted:

It's probably a call-back to the turn-signal hoods you could get for some of the 1st gen cars. And hey, the turn signals hood on a 67/8/9 look pretty cool.

I had them on my '68 and thought they looked awesome. The new ones are too small in my opinion but the hood bulge looks like it limits the size.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Raluek posted:

Seems like that was 10 years ago, yeah. Clean five-ohs are like $4-5k now, and I don't see them getting any cheaper.

Thirding this, they're starting to climb since so many have been treated so poorly by now. It probably helps that unlike the thirdgen Camaro, the Fox is easier to make faster because it's so much lighter.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Thirding this, they're starting to climb since so many have been treated so poorly by now. It probably helps that unlike the thirdgen Camaro, the Fox is easier to make faster because it's so much lighter.

Built ford tough, with chevy stuff!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

IOwnCalculus posted:

Not just that, the general layout of the third gen interior led to it turning to poo poo. That plus the majority of cars being 305s means a motor swap is required to do loving anything.

All that said, I still want a goddamn third gen. I don't know what it is, but I loving love them.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Early SN95s have bottomed the gently caress out and you can get 5.0 cars for under 1k. Ours was 600, needed a MAF and some panels we robbed off the old car. I regularly see 5.0 SN95s for around 1000-2000 easy.

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
Yeah, but who wants an SN95? :smug:

Actually I've noticed that the v6 SN95 seems to be the vehicle of choice for old ladies around here.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

I really want to grab a clean, stockish 90-93 GT hatch before they start to appreciate too crazy.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
if you can, find an 89-92 which had forged aluminum pistons and other forged internals. They changed to hypereutectic pistons in 1993. Probably only a thing i would worry about even though you'd likely end of rebuilding the engine anyway.

The best thing to do anyway is find a four banger and swap it out.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Slow is Fast posted:

Early SN95s have bottomed the gently caress out and you can get 5.0 cars for under 1k. Ours was 600, needed a MAF and some panels we robbed off the old car. I regularly see 5.0 SN95s for around 1000-2000 easy.

Where is "here"? I wouldn't mind picking one up on the cheap and doing something stupid awesome with it.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Tide posted:

Where is "here"? I wouldn't mind picking one up on the cheap and doing something stupid awesome with it.

New England, land of rust and broken dreams.

And we never had trouble blowing the SN95 stock 5.0 with a procharger at 8psi. The seals went before the pistons.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
:toot:

quote:

We have issued you credit for RockAuto Order # xx.

Visa

Amount: $575.10

To celebrate: hard parking.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Nice.

On a different note, there's pretty clean 5.0 LX notchback down the road from our office that rarely moves. I'm tempted to go knock on the door and see if they want to sell it but this isn't a nice section of town. I don't want to get shot. We find a bullet or spent shell casing in our parking lot about once a month

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
what mods are you gonna get with all the money you just got back?!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Headlights and I gotta figure out why my front o2s are bugging out on me. They were fine until I swapped the pipe and now I get an "o2 sensor slow to respond" CEL. Inspection due this month.

Cage fucked around with this message at 19:45 on May 13, 2015

kalvick
Jun 5, 2001
mine are fogging up, i tried to fix it myself but I cant get them perfect, I may pay someone to do it for me

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

kalvick posted:

mine are fogging up, i tried to fix it myself but I cant get them perfect, I may pay someone to do it for me
I tried toothpaste and two different headlight restoring polishes and had no luck. Im just gonna pick up a super cheap pair on ebay for $75 and see how long they last.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Propaganda Bob posted:

Yeah, but who wants an SN95? :smug:

I like my New Edge...

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Raluek posted:

Makes me really sad that due to miscommunication, I didn't get to buy my best friend's sister's '85 GT hatch. Paint was peeling and the heater core was leaking, but it was a stick with 40k miles and the interior looked new, and she had offered it to me for $500. Had my buddy relay to her that I wanted it but needed three weeks to get the cash together, which somehow got turned into her thinking I didn't want it and she used it as a trade in at a dealer lot. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Heres some cheap weight reduction from american muscle.