Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Hey, don't blame me for rocketeers having absolutely terrible aim growth! At least I can dodge things.

how about "Rush Hour" for Gridlocked.

E: Update on the previous page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Kurieg posted:

how about "Rush Hour" for Gridlocked.

E: Update on the previous page.

I'll agree with that one.

Welcome to the thread as well, Kidney.

I've been meaning to ask, what do you guys use for recording? You record and co-ordinate over Skype or such? I keep hearing a bit of a squeaking or breathing, usually when Booty is talking.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
We record in the same room using two headsets (on separate audio tracks) - You're likely hearing Kidneyman. Medical issues have kind of made his breathing junky and I'm trying my best to minimize the effects in audacity. So it seems when the mic is slightly higher, we don't hear the 'blowing' noise, but instead hear a slight whistle. The noise gate did a good job in removing it when no one is speaking, but because my voice gets picked up slightly on Kid's mic that means the floor is too low in those sections. I'm pretty sure we just need to find the best mic position.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Welcome to the thread Sub-Commander Kidneyman, it'd be cool to see some of your thoughts on various missions or different tactics you could pull off. Also any nickname ideas you like or want to contribute you should toss your hat in with too!

Love the nickname, herding all the alien sheep to their death. And also since I'm a big nerd even though I haven't really played the Mass Effect games, someone needs to get the nickname Wrex.

As for that mission, it was going pretty well till that floater activation, if you had moved whoever just a little bit to the left or right you probably wouldn't have activated them either. Oh well, plans don't hold up very well when they make first contact!

That Floater eating an overwatch shotgun to the face was for you, Jimmy4400. Get better soon bud!

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

I offer "Road Rage" Gridlocked.

I'm gonna go with this one.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

SaffronKit posted:

I also have to say Booty, I really look forward to updates and this is probably the first LP where I've been really anxious when I don't see any updates in too long. It's weird, but I guess everyone gets that one lp they can't stop :f5: ing for. I'll be the first to admit it's probably the personal involvement of my own soldier being in the game!

...What I'm trying to say in a very long winded fashion is keep up the good work, Commander Booty!

Seconding this.

ProfessorBooty posted:

Also, I'm probably going to spend a lot more time planning my moves - I think I'm rushing the game a little too much. I'll probably start editing out tactics-chat, or at the very least, start making truncated video alternatives - anyone have thoughts on that?

I like tactics-chat. I can understand if you're worried it might get a bit excessive but I would personally be against cutting it out completely.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

In honor of his av, I think Gridlocked must be nicknamed Potty Poster. Because that avatar amuses me.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Apparently May 12th is Intergalactic Invade Earth Day.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

megane posted:

Apparently May 12th is Intergalactic Invade Earth Day.

Oh hey, didn't notice the date in-game until now :)

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I didn't really touch on your thoughts for speeding up videos, but it probably wouldn't be a terrible idea for the stuff that we've really already seen so far. Aside from going over any new stuff in vid, you could probably just cut to the interesting parts of missions and it wouldn't be that big of a loss. I personally do quite love tactics chat as well, but I'm torn because I want to see some more cool stuff too.

Considering this is the Long War mod of X-com, and from everything you said it's going to be a long haul, I'm sure most of us are interested in seeing the cool new things it adds, and not sectoids/floaters/thin man getting their poo poo shoved in for the umpteenth time with the ballastics guns we know and love. Maybe just skip over the small missions that you'll do for training unless something exciting happens? I honestly don't know, it's entirely up to you and Kidneyman, Commander Booty.

I may be a little biased in one direction, but it is something to consider.

I also need to go back and check and see if my soldier self has ever actually been sent to the medbay with an injury. It seems like the last 3 or so times it's all been just to Armor health and not soldier health. Also if I've even missed a shot since my first mission, because goddamn.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
I admit to actually having become less interested in watching the vids because they're so long. Still love the LP, though. Perhaps just make two versions?

I actually like both the tactics discussion and the shooty bits, but both of them together just take up such a long time. 45+ mins for a training mission where almost nothing happens is just really long imo.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
I'll show all the missions - but as time goes on I'm pretty sure I won't have to show the five minute discussion on how I'm going to perform an overwatch trap. If I feel its a unique situation I'll keep more of the tactics chat in there.

The floater situation on the roof was very unique, to the point where I remember why in mission 5 or whatever I just had everyone run away to the edge of the map.

Edit: Also, Kidneyman is - in my opinion - overly cautious in some missions. I think I could have made the small ufo two missions back 15 minutes. I don't want him to feel like he shouldn't speak up, but I think he just needs to be a lot more familiar with how the game actually works. To use the last small ufo as an example, the moment I saw a 2 alien group, I just knew the mission would be stupidly easy and there was a lot of room for sloppy play.

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 12, 2015

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I watch all the videos and tactics-talk because I suck at even XCOM vanilla but never really sought out any additional information. However now I've actually learned some valuable (and probably very basic) things like line-of-sight blocking, or how step-outs from full cover can turn what appears to not be a flank into a flank.

I'm probably not what you want to base future installments on though, and I've probably already reached the limit of my ability as it is so more complex strategies would just lose me completely :v:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I am not going to participate in my own nicknaming because that would be weird.

However once I get promoted to officer do I get a uniform colour change? Full white so I can be a REAL Stormtrooper would be cool.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Gridlocked posted:

However once I get promoted to officer do I get a uniform colour change? Full white so I can be a REAL Stormtrooper would be cool.

I choose colors! <:mad:>

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Not cutting any missions is honestly quite alright with me. Definitely work on cutting some of the tactics talk if you think you've already covered the idea for it before I think.

ProfessorBooty posted:

Unless we get MEC'd. In which case the brightest, eye searing-est pink is expected with no exceptions. :colbert:

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 01:08 on May 13, 2015

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

ProfessorBooty posted:

Yes sir! Sorry sir!

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Just adding in my 2c;

I don't mind the longer tactical discussions and quite enjoy listening to them. However I can appreciate why other people might not. Were they removed, I would not be very distressed about it. Having some skips to where the action starts, like you did with the railyard mission, could also work if you wanted to consider that.

This is just feedback though. I'm enjoying the LP overall and I normally don't watch VLPs much and would probably continue to watch it regardless of what editing changes were made.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
Thanks for the input everyone. I might try something new this recording session.

I somehow forgot that Samovar has also made Corporal, and also needs a nickname!

ChaosDragon
Jul 13, 2014
Why can I not kill things. Four kills in four mission is that the worse kills per mission ratio in XCOM?
Get well soon Jimmy4400

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I'm gonna put forward the nickname "Reporter" for Samovar, because drat if she doesn't throw out stories left and right that blow aliens away!

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Samovar "Holiday" for how far away they were this mission.

Gridlocked "Second Chance" for the work on the Thinman towards the end.

I am torn on the length of videos. Because his co-commentator having no plan is great.

Those fuckin floaters though. Lifting off to gang up on Jimmy.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

"I'm A Little" Samovar.

Also, I like the videos as they are, though I think dispensing with involved discussions of already-covered tactics are a good idea; "overwatch trap with these dudes" should cover it at this point.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Captain Foo posted:

"I'm A Little" Samovar.

Actually you know what screw my suggestion, this one is way better.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Well, as someone who follows Beaglerush's Long War campaigns, the missions are only gonna get longer...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Might I propose Chamomile, seeing as 'I' put the aliens to rest?

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Captain Foo posted:

"I'm A Little" Samovar.

Yep, this.

Also, when I watch the videos, I watch them in their entirety, in the hopes of maybe making it through Long War myself. (Current status: all my planes are trash and I hate them and I wish I could turn on Cinematic Mode for them alone.) I do skip them occasionally when your description makes the mission sound routine, though.

I agree with the poster who said that adding some skip links to highlights would be pretty good. Alternatively, a "highlights" type video that compresses missions which have only stuff we've seen before into just clips of the noteworthy parts might be nice, especially as we get months into the war.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I just wanted to say I enjoy the tactics talk as well, and especially like the pre-mission load out and strategy sessions. I find it pretty interesting.

I wonder what it would be like as fighter pilot to get told to report to a quiet hanger in Europe, fix up an obviously battle damaged plane, clear out some other guys stuff and then sit and wait to be transferred back to the US. :spooky:

Edit: Also that call-sign, I see great things in my alter-ego's future!

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 13:13 on May 13, 2015

namad
Nov 7, 2013
Rookie question here... how do you spot all the melds on turn one of the game everywhere on the map? I'm looking at the videos but all I see is darkness and shadows...

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

namad posted:

Rookie question here... how do you spot all the melds on turn one of the game everywhere on the map? I'm looking at the videos but all I see is darkness and shadows...

You become able to pick out the shape of the canisters. Plus the spinny top thing is one of the only things on a map that actually moves.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
What Superstring said. I could spend a little more time to point out the meld, but I'm trying to cut down on video time. The long war camera angles really help and spending even three or four minutes finding meld should result in finding the majority of the canisters.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

ProfessorBooty posted:

What Superstring said. I could spend a little more time to point out the meld, but I'm trying to cut down on video time. The long war camera angles really help and spending even three or four minutes finding meld should result in finding the majority of the canisters.

:justpost: MORE VIDS

I am hungry to see what becomes of me.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Can you get a soldier shot and killed, no questions asked? The (two?) soldiers "killed" so far have dropped to critical instead of outright dying.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

Gridlocked posted:

:justpost: MORE VIDS

I am hungry to see what becomes of me.

I await to see if I will make it into the squad! I think there are a few people in the queue before me at least.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Fat Samurai posted:

Can you get a soldier shot and killed, no questions asked? The (two?) soldiers "killed" so far have dropped to critical instead of outright dying.

Yes. We just happen to be very lucky.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Fat Samurai posted:

Oh yeah, there are a bunch of ways to reduce the chance of outright dying but there's a hard cap on it. It maxes out at 90% chance to drop to critical with some late game techs and optional solider upgrades, but there's always a chance. With the dudes we have its abut a 50/50 chance they'll go critical instead of outright dying, and if they drop to critical multiple times it becomes worse than death since they get a massive -15 penalty to will along with a long hospital stay.

Will loss is painful, impossible to make up and becomes a bigger and bigger liability as the game goes on. If someone loses 30 firing them, or keeping them at base permanently, is usually the best option. Otherwise you have to stick them to an officer like glue.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

ProfessorBooty posted:

Yes. We just happen to be very lucky.

I am still stunned the car explosion didn't result in two dead soldiers.

namad
Nov 7, 2013

ProfessorBooty posted:

Seems like that would be cheating, if firaxis were better coders they'd probably have made it impossible? right? Same with seeing aliens that aren't in your sight but are within your movement from the blocked movement square option. That attitude though is just because I think classic REGULAR enemy within is hard. I guess in a long war you really need to pull out all the stops because the game is just that hard.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

namad posted:

Seems like that would be cheating, if firaxis were better coders they'd probably have made it impossible? right? Same with seeing aliens that aren't in your sight but are within your movement from the blocked movement square option. That attitude though is just because I think classic REGULAR enemy within is hard. I guess in a long war you really need to pull out all the stops because the game is just that hard.

I guess - I'm not exactly sure what your conclusion is. I meld hunt because it gives me a direction to take my guys, and going off to get meld is more interesting than camping for the enemy. I am trying my best to put a cap on tile scanning, and though it popped up in the last mission (finding the sectoid group was accidental) I think I've been a little better about it :shobon:. I don't think difficulty makes it absolutely necessary to do the things I have been, but knowing from turn 1 where to go to get meld gives me the ability to make some plan, as minimal as it is.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

To be fair we live in the age of satellite surveillance and thermal imaging, so I'd just handwave the tile scanning as being just that. Especially since we know for a fact X-Com has satellites for that very purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I'd say that in vanilla chin it's more than possible to get the meld every mission without camera scanning. Long war was designed with it in mind. Since you have to be much more defensive with your opening movements, if you don't start off going in the right direction you'll probably lose one or both canisters.

• Locked thread