Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009
Yeah especially if you use it as a guide for a quick eyeballing rather than completely relying on it to hit things. There's no universe where it's not an unfair advantage to have it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:
When the gently caress is 0.3.1 gonna drop

I want my Iowa already

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Skoots posted:

That seems like exactly what the role of destroyers is suppose to be.

Yeah, except with anti-torpedo weapons, the whole "ambush" part will instead be changed to "dying to a Nagato's secondaries/one cruiser salvo while your torpedoes get blasted out of the water, gently caress you for trying", and scouting will be all you do. Except a CV can do that just as well, and not risk anything more than a fighter squad if they gently caress up and get shot. So you've just got a boat that is basically only good for capping and occasionally getting lucky and nuking a braindead pubbie out of the water (and then waiting 3 loving minutes before getting a shot to try again). You're acting like I don't play DDs and haven't scouted and tried ambushing people, and it doesn't actually help a whole lot (or at all, in some cases, loving ice map). In the tiers where destroyers actually contribute, they're dangerous mid-close range ships that can also do some scouting and provide smoke screens for the team. In the other tiers, they're gimmick boats that either land their torpedoes and get a ton of kills, die in the first 5 minutes, or sit around uselessly waiting for the "real" boats to duke it out before they can swoop in and do anything of value. God forbid you're an IJN DD, or you might not even be useful after that point.

The Locator posted:

Everyone saying that DD's are ineffectual at higher tiers haven't been shooting them at my Amagi I guess. I've had a huge number of torpedo hits where I'm zig-zagging (well, as much as an Amagi can zig-zag, that fucker is sluggish as hell) well away from any islands, and then *torpedo warning* and there are suddenly a spread of torpedoes about 2-300 yards away, The big slug of a ship can't even get a turn started to speak of before they hit, and the DD was never spotted at all.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but my personal experience on the receiving end doesn't jibe well at all with you guys saying that they can't hit anything later on n the game (Note: does not apply to US DD's since they have such short ranged torpedoes that they can't launch out of spotting range). I've also had very poor luck with my secondaries actually killing DD's before they can close to point blank for a murder/suicide run on the Amagi, they always get a salvo off at 'impossible to dodge range' before the secondaries can finish them, and of course hitting a charging DD with the main battery (if it isn't on reload) is marginal at best.
Start changing your throttle too. If you adjust throttle erratically, it'll make torpedo runs almost impossible against you at range, or at least cause them to be fired at multiple possible areas you could end up at and further thin the torpedoes out. If I see a BB wiggling, I watch the lead indicator sway back and forth, and fire my torps at the general middle of the sway. You can't rely on wiggling as your only anti-torpedo measure, though it works a lot better against less experience DDs. Traveling with groups of people should make sighting torpedoes earlier a thing, too. Also has the side benefit of having cruisers around to blap planes and enemy DDs out of the water if they try to come in for a close range attack.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 13, 2015

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm so confused, where are the Pensacola's 3x203s? They sure as hell aren't modeled on the base turrets.

EDIT: Nvm, early hull. Which makes no sense, as in '42 it was the triple batteries

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Thronde posted:

I'm so confused, where are the Pensacola's 3x203s? They sure as hell aren't modeled on the base turrets.

EDIT: Nvm, early hull. Which makes no sense, as in '42 it was the triple batteries

Wargaming loves to do two things: not model for WWII only, and also implement harebrained undergunned variants to provide a sense of progression on a single chassis/hull

This comes with the upside of things like 90mm guns on ground vehicles that were way too small to fire them safely.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Anyone have a spare key they can send to roninblues at gmail ?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

rossmum posted:

Just walk your fire onto the waterline under funnels at a range where your shells are arcing slightly when they hit :shobon:

As for knowing where to lead, I've got a pretty good feel for the Mogami's guns now so it's pretty much point and shoot, correct by as much as needed. The lead mod really doesn't seem like a big deal to me because my brain is practically the same thing, the only time I tend to miss is if a ship is moving at a funky angle or constantly changing course and speed at long range.

Mogami chat. Keep the 155mm guns or go to the 203mm and 1/2 the fire rate? I unlocked it tonight and played 3 games (won 2) and I like it. Fantastic turn rate and feels very nimble. I've got the hull upgrade and just got the range thing after my last game. I have enough xp to do the torpedoes or guns, or wait another game or two to unlock the next hull upgrade. I really like the firing rate, but not sure how the 155's will hold up after the patch drops.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

Wargaming loves to do two things: not model for WWII only, and also implement harebrained undergunned variants to provide a sense of progression on a single chassis/hull

This comes with the upside of things like 90mm guns on ground vehicles that were way too small to fire them safely.

Or in the case of the hellcat, being one of the main contributors to it being so imbalanced at that tier. If it stayed historical with the 76, there wouldn't have nearly been such an issue with the other features of that tank.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

The Locator posted:

Mogami chat. Keep the 155mm guns or go to the 203mm and 1/2 the fire rate? I unlocked it tonight and played 3 games (won 2) and I like it. Fantastic turn rate and feels very nimble. I've got the hull upgrade and just got the range thing after my last game. I have enough xp to do the torpedoes or guns, or wait another game or two to unlock the next hull upgrade. I really like the firing rate, but not sure how the 155's will hold up after the patch drops.

I like the 8-inchers.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

JuffoWup posted:

Or in the case of the hellcat, being one of the main contributors to it being so imbalanced at that tier. If it stayed historical with the 76, there wouldn't have nearly been such an issue with the other features of that tank.

This is one of my main problems with that game. I get how having upgrades makes for interesting metagame but or example seeing a Tiger II get a 105 makes my inner history sperg angry. Most tanks' stock configurations were their historical configurations. :argh: Also the chafee is one of my favorite tanks but the stupid derp turret it used to get prevented me from ever playing it :mad:

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

TehKeen posted:

This is one of my main problems with that game. I get how having upgrades makes for interesting metagame but or example seeing a Tiger II get a 105 makes my inner history sperg angry. Most tanks' stock configurations were their historical configurations. :argh: Also the chafee is one of my favorite tanks but the stupid derp turret it used to get prevented me from ever playing it :mad:

Eh, for balance, the 105 works fine. The problem with the hellcat is that it trades nothing of note as a td for that 90mm gun. If it had kept the 75 while the jackson had the 90, things would be fine. No one has issue with the 90mm on the jackson because it doesn't have go fast speeds along with crazy view range.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Dalael posted:

This is more: Omg! This guy hits me 70% of the time no matter wtf I do!

It may not be game breaking, but since that mod came out and became more popular, the difference is notable.

Eh, the mod is not that good, whereas there is another alternative that might apply to you.

Warbadger posted:

The "aim bot" excels at making leading a target easy, whether they cruise in a straight line or not. That is a large advantage in this game, which is why people are using the mod.

Yeah, but as long as the aiming system is as lovely and unintuitive as it is, the aimbot mod definitely improves my enjoyment of the game.
Playing BBs without it just becomes tedious due to the long reload.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

The Locator posted:

I prefer the 6" guns. More shells in the air and higher rate of fire means more chance of hitting, and more hits over time. Keeping a constant rain of shells on pubbies has a bit of a stunning effect on many of them, too.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Cardiac posted:

Agreed, BB should have it Built-in. Firing ranging shots on BB with a few guns and long reload is very punishing.
Lore wise they put it on call it superior BB fire control or watever.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Cardiac posted:

Eh, the mod is not that good, whereas there is another alternative that might apply to you.

Yeah, but as long as the aiming system is as lovely and unintuitive as it is, the aimbot mod definitely improves my enjoyment of the game.
I don't use the aim mod because it does nothing for me that holding ALT doesn't accomplish and I gain more pleasure from successfully using my head to predict shots than having the mod show me where to start. Sure it can increase your enjoyment of the game but it also robs some of that enjoyment as well. I love when I get accused of using it on scrubs who don't get the idea that every salvo I fire increases the accuracy of my next one when they don't do anything.

Aiming is a skill in this game and you are gimping yourself if you rely on the mod. Using it as a tool to increase your skill is great. Using it to supplement your skill is going to leave you lacking against people who are actually good at the game and are shooting at you rather than your ship.

The only time I find BB's tedious is at the beginning or end of the game because once I spot enemies and get a general sense where they are I start to think into the future and how to maximize my effectiveness. Can't do that at the beginning because I don't know what the enemy is doing and can't do that at the end because it's usually something way faster than me running away on the other side of the map.

Not very sanguine about the idea of them adding ammo to the game though. On one hand it encourages people to be more careful with their shots, on the other it punishes being too risky with shots and that helps with learning how to aim and make certain shots.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

I am pretty sure these guys are trolling.

"Agreed, cheating is perfectly fine, I don't get why you guys aren't completely on board with us cheating".

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

The main way that the aim mod is broken is giving you an aim point for ships sailing behind islands that will come into view. I have used it and not used it and it's no big difference in my view on open encounters. Actually thinking about it, with the lovely maps we get with all the islands and iceburgs it may be a big deal.

Meh, it's pretty dickish to have a salvo drop on a ship just as he pops round an island but gently caress it, it makes me giggle every time so AIMBOTS ARE GO!!!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Burt posted:

The main way that the aim mod is broken is giving you an aim point for ships sailing behind islands that will come into view. I have used it and not used it and it's no big difference in my view on open encounters. Actually thinking about it, with the lovely maps we get with all the islands and iceburgs it may be a big deal.

Meh, it's pretty dickish to have a salvo drop on a ship just as he pops round an island but gently caress it, it makes me giggle every time so AIMBOTS ARE GO!!!

Done that plenty of times with just my head too. Alt's distance to target and the distance of what I'm aiming at gives me a place to start, though usually I have to aim up a bit to actually hit ships rather than water right before them.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Krogort posted:

Agreed, BB should have it Built-in. Firing ranging shots on BB with a few guns and long reload is very punishing.
Lore wise they put it on call it superior BB fire control or watever.
Build it in

for US ships only :unsmigghh:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Insert name here posted:

I want my Iowa already

Yeah I'm just waiting for the bomber buff.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

The Locator posted:

The 8-inch guns are a sidegrade. Less DPM and weight of fire in return for more accuracy and a flatter trajectory with quicker shell travel. And more penetration, which can be noticeable against BBs and tougher cruisers alread and will be a big thing come 0.3.1. I'd personally just recommend the 203s because they're better at preparing you for the rest of the line.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Insert name here posted:

Build it in

Maybe Japan should have jumped on the radar bandwagon a little earlier. :smugdog:

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Insert name here posted:

Build it in

I think it should be built in and crew skill dependant. I'd up crew skills a lot to give things like that and it would allow them to make a Warspite that can drop shells on boats from 20km away due to a crew skill buff.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
At this point I am kinda waiting for the OBT wipe, 300 matches should be enough to get the CBT reward and everything else will be lost anyway

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Michaellaneous posted:

Yeah I'm just waiting for the bomber buff.
Yeah the next ships I want to get are the Lex and US BBs, and I want to wait for the better bombers before finishing off the XP I need for it.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Tahirovic posted:

At this point I am kinda waiting for the OBT wipe, 300 matches should be enough to get the CBT reward and everything else will be lost anyway

OBT isn't gonna come for several months at least, though.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Best game so far, Fuso is a very nice ship:

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Funso Banjo posted:

I am pretty sure these guys are trolling.

"Agreed, cheating is perfectly fine, I don't get why you guys aren't completely on board with us cheating".

Except it has been specifically authorized as legal. Whether that's a good idea is another matter entirely, but it is definitely not cheating if it has been approved.

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Insert name here posted:

Tomorow actually: https://eu.wargaming.net/support/News/NewsItem/View/395/world-of-warships---031-patch-release

quote:

World of Warships - 0.3.1 patch release
Greetings Captains!

We are happy to announce the release of the 0.3.1 update for World of Warships.

The World of Warships server will be unavailable on 14/05/2015 from 03:00 to 04:30 UTC due to this update.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Your Customer Service Team

For EU anyway.

Abisteen
Sep 30, 2005

Oh my God what the fuck am I?
I lost interest in tanks a long time ago when I couldn't play it without my blood pressure rising to dangerous levels. I really want to try this and am wondering if buying into the CBT is worth it at this stage. I signed up back in March and didn't realize until today that they are offering a buy-in. Do any of the packages available offer particularly good value, or is it better to wait on an invite/beg for one?

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

Abisteen posted:

I lost interest in tanks a long time ago when I couldn't play it without my blood pressure rising to dangerous levels.
Its the same for all "World of XXX" games.

Abisteen posted:

I really want to try this and am wondering if buying into the CBT is worth it at this stage. I signed up back in March and didn't realize until today that they are offering a buy-in. Do any of the packages available offer particularly good value, or is it better to wait on an invite/beg for one?
I bought in with the Gremyashchy and find it an enjoyable little Destroyer, its guns are very good and it has a concealment range good enough to gets its torpedoes away without being spotted. I picked up this ship primarily because its Wargaming, and no doubt the Russian line will be filled with slightly overpowered bullshit. Take the Murmansk for example, its an Omaha with Russian colours on it, it is the same ship in every other way to the Omaha in game, the same MM weight, except because its Russian, it gets an extra 2km range on its guns for no apparent reason.

Tindahbawx fucked around with this message at 11:28 on May 13, 2015

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

The american and russian destroyer are good and funs ships. The japanese cruiser not so much.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Tindahbawx posted:

Its the same for all "World of XXX" games.

I feel less dependent on my teammates compared to Tanks. Sure, I need them to win. But I don't need them to have fun.

Platoons also feel more fun and valuable than in Tanks. Playing with goons is good. And playing carriers is particularly zen, because you don't need to cooperate with teammates at all.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Vengarr posted:

I feel less dependent on my teammates compared to Tanks. Sure, I need them to win. But I don't need them to have fun.

Platoons also feel more fun and valuable than in Tanks. Playing with goons is good. And playing carriers is particularly zen, because you don't need to cooperate with teammates at all.

3 carrier Divisions are a great way to cause huge quantities of frothy pubbie rage! It's also great because each torp bomber run is guaranteed to murderize a top tier BB if you coordinate torp drops to hem the ship into a dense crossfire.

3 DD divisions are a great way to sweep the map, break into open water, and stealth cap or gangbang any loitering ships. 3 DDs can put out enough smoke to leave a curtain of invisibility across 3-5 grid squares easily.

3 BB divisions can just pick a direction and go gently caress stuff up, as long as you stay far enough away from islands that a DD or torp CA can't sneak up on you and wreck your poo poo.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
As CV you don't even have to coordinate much as long as BB players go in straight lines and make themselves a prime target for a double strike:

Anyway, 3.1. is tomorrow and will change the playing field somewhat. Be prepared to bow before mighty Nippon and their torp squadrons.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 12:49 on May 13, 2015

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Hammerstein posted:

As CV you don't even have to coordinate much as long as BB players go in straight lines and makes themselves a prime target for a double strike:

It's getting harder and harder to find pubbies with that level of tunnel vision these days. I'm having to close to 3ish KM broadside with most BB and CA in order to torpedo them to death in my Benson, otherwise they just right full rudder and scoot out of the way. The plus side is they get one, maybe two chances to actually hit my smoke belching rapidly swerving rear end before I'm in range and making GBS threads torps at them. The downside is those two chances only need to hit with 2-3 shells to completely wreck my poo poo.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.

Hammerstein posted:

Anyway, 3.1. is tomorrow and will change the playing field somewhat. Be prepared to bow before mighty Nippon and their torp squadrons.
I'm really hoping US CVs aren't completely obsoleted by JP CVs :ohdear:

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Hammerstein posted:

As CV you don't even have to coordinate much as long as BB players go in straight lines and makes themselves a prime target for a double strike:

Gawd that is a satisfying gif :swoon:

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

It's getting harder and harder to find pubbies with that level of tunnel vision these days. I'm having to close to 3ish KM broadside with most BB and CA in order to torpedo them to death in my Benson, otherwise they just right full rudder and scoot out of the way. The plus side is they get one, maybe two chances to actually hit my smoke belching rapidly swerving rear end before I'm in range and making GBS threads torps at them. The downside is those two chances only need to hit with 2-3 shells to completely wreck my poo poo.

When I play the Fubuki it's harder, but so far I haven't noticed any skill growth which would ruin my seal clubbing days when playing a CV.

Keep in mind that the survivability of planes has also been readjusted and in 3.1. they no longer die like flies as they do now. Low tier torp planes like from a Ryujo can get through an Iowa's AA screen (vanilla Iowa without AA upgrades though).

For tomorrow I expect a huge outcry about the sky cancer, but we will see.

Insert name here posted:

I'm really hoping US CVs aren't completely obsoleted by JP CVs :ohdear:

They should still be good, especially due to the DB changes. But they don't have the strike capability of glorious Nippon.

The problem is that dive bombers still get thrown off easier than torp bombers. If a ship moves by a few degrees then you will still hit with torps, while the bombing reticle would be thrown off a lot more. Also DBs have to spend a lot more time in the range of a ship's secondary AA guns, leading to higher losses.

Hammerstein fucked around with this message at 13:07 on May 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Hammerstein posted:

When I play the Fubuki it's harder, but so far I haven't noticed any skill growth which would ruin my seal clubbing days when playing a CV.

Keep in mind that the survivability of planes has also been readjusted and in 3.1. they no longer die like flies as they do now. Low tier torp planes like from a Ryujo can get through an Iowa's AA screen (vanilla Iowa without AA upgrades though).

For tomorrow I expect a huge outcry about the sky cancer, but we will see.

They should still be good, especially due to the DB changes. But they don't have the strike capability of glorious Nippon.

Looks like 3.1 dropped now, I've got a 2620MB patch cooking atm.

Ugh gently caress, they buffed the firing rate of the Yamato, and nerfed the Amagi's and the Nagato's secondaries. gently caress whining Yamato drivers forever I hope they all die.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 12:58 on May 13, 2015