Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Phone posted:

There's a guy in the news who refused to get insurance since he was healthy (read: has unmanaged diabetes, but no real consequences) and it looks like he's going to lose his eye since his retina detached. He has since tried to sign up for insurance under the PPACA, but enrollment has already passed, and his state, South Carolina, has refused federal money for healthcare expansion (subsidies, Medicare, etc). He currently has a GoFundMe campaign to raise 30k.

Best health care system in the world.

It's amazing seeing people poo poo on ACA and better healthcare systems in general and then have them turn around and try to get people to donate to pay for peoples health care bills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Phone posted:

There's a guy in the news who refused to get insurance since he was healthy (read: has unmanaged diabetes, but no real consequences) and it looks like he's going to lose his eye since his retina detached. He has since tried to sign up for insurance under the PPACA, but enrollment has already passed, and his state, South Carolina, has refused federal money for healthcare expansion (subsidies, Medicare, etc). He currently has a GoFundMe campaign to raise 30k.

oh, and on top of it all, he blamed Obamacare for his own lack of foresight.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Phone posted:

OBAMA CARE! HE TOOK OUR JERBS! INSERT OTHER ANGRY WHITE PEOPLE RHETORIC!

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I had no idea I had diabetes until that evil Obamacare thing came out.

Of course, I would never have known until either health issues started cropping up from unmanaged diabetes, or until I got a job with medical benefits - I haven't had one of those since 2012 (and it was a laughable plan anyway).

DAMNIT OBAMA

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm drat glad that you live in a country where you can do that without simultaneously loving up your medical care.

That's pretty normal for most countries (except for the USA).

Coredump posted:

poo poo, isn't the UK trying to privatize the NHS as well?
Even the Australian system is half privatized already (has been for a while, and we have to pay into a private fund or get extra taxes if we don't). Even then, if you need care you can't afford, you get it (except dentistry I think).
I stopped paying my government enforced* private healthcare in Dec last year. Been in hospital twice since without paying anything.

* enforcement here is if you earn over a certain amount and don't have private healthcare you pay and extra few percent in taxes. Also the later you take it out, the higher premiums you pay. EG take private coverage out at 30 y/o, you pay $100 p/m for life, take it out when you're more likely to be sick at 50 y/o, $300 p/m for life. The numbers are pulled from my arse, but I was forced to buy a private plan for those reasons as it was only going to keep going up the longer i went without a private insurer after I was 30.
Not much different to what a private healthcare provider would do on premiums, but it's government mandated that there's a loading as the government wants younger generations off free healthcare, just like they want us off pensions .
Everyone has to pay on taxes for it anyway, public healthcare is pretty good for the tax we pay if you need it, and it's there for all people in dire need at no cost if you show up to a hospital with major problems.

E: of course we have to pay for GP/local private health care clinic doctors. Going rate they charge is $75, government will pay up to $35 of it when you send them the receipt.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 13, 2015

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Phone posted:

Whenever someone brings up this talking point, I like to furrow my brow and ask them how Obamacare / Medicaid / etc. effects France's healthcare system.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fo3 posted:

That's pretty normal for most countries (except for the USA).

:thejoke:

The third world of the first world. 'Merica. :sigh:

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....
*insert Jeff Daniels "Best country in the world" clip here*

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
gently caress THIS D&D poo poo

Here are some cats stuck in cars

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Remember that socialized medicine won't work in the US because we're way too diverse. Which really means old white people don't want browns to have healthcare.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Don't forget that Ted Cruz, one of the biggest opponents of Obamacare, had to apply for it recently.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

IOwnCalculus posted:

:thejoke:

The third world of the first world. 'Merica. :sigh:

Yeah I know, my main point was that Australia is half privatized $$$$, and half taxed to freedom. So it's different to Europe and the USA.
We have to keep the northern hemisphere in balance lest the globe tip over.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 13, 2015

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL
So, we went and had coffee with the owners, and they are interested in selling as they are moving to Spain after the summer. We had a look around and the house is even greater then i remembered. They have turned the basement in to a rental apartment that we can rent out (keep the current tennants) and put towards the mortage. There are three bedrooms on the main floor. a great kitchen, two bathrooms and living room. Up top there is a big guest room that me and the wife plan to divide so the boys get their own bedroom, there is also a toilet up there. It also contains a huge home office/tv room with an epic view. I think my wife played me on this one, she immediatly told me that i could use this room as my office/man cave for all my photo and rc stuffs. She told me that having a decent home office would make it easier for me to work from home when not at the firehouse when we get our third kid after i get well... and here i figured we were done at two.

i wont bore you with the details of my future castle, but the owner has had an appraisal done, and i offered the number the inspector put down, pluss about 5%. they where a bit hesitant, as this home probably would get a pretty decent bidding war on the open market. But the wife was very keen on getting the sale done so they could focus on their own expat-move. I think the twins fixed the deal for us, when they ran around the garden and planned where to have rabbits and a hammock :3: we meet in the bank at wednesday, and i just hope that the bank donīt rape us on the gap loan until our current home is sold.

And yes, i am very blessed to live in Norway, had i lived in the US i doubt i would get insurance with my current touch of cancer, and would be forced to stay with the same employer, unless i would have to break out the am ex and be a health debt slave for generations to come.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

fjelltorsk posted:

So, we went and had coffee with the owners, and they are interested in selling as they are moving to Spain after the summer. We had a look around and the house is even greater then i remembered. They have turned the basement in to a rental apartment that we can rent out (keep the current tennants) and put towards the mortage. There are three bedrooms on the main floor. a great kitchen, two bathrooms and living room. Up top there is a big guest room that me and the wife plan to divide so the boys get their own bedroom, there is also a toilet up there. It also contains a huge home office/tv room with an epic view. I think my wife played me on this one, she immediatly told me that i could use this room as my office/man cave for all my photo and rc stuffs. She told me that having a decent home office would make it easier for me to work from home when not at the firehouse when we get our third kid after i get well... and here i figured we were done at two.

i wont bore you with the details of my future castle, but the owner has had an appraisal done, and i offered the number the inspector put down, pluss about 5%. they where a bit hesitant, as this home probably would get a pretty decent bidding war on the open market. But the wife was very keen on getting the sale done so they could focus on their own expat-move. I think the twins fixed the deal for us, when they ran around the garden and planned where to have rabbits and a hammock :3: we meet in the bank at wednesday, and i just hope that the bank don´t rape us on the gap loan until our current home is sold.

And yes, i am very blessed to live in Norway, had i lived in the US i doubt i would get insurance with my current touch of cancer, and would be forced to stay with the same employer, unless i would have to break out the am ex and be a health debt slave for generations to come.

Godspeed, comrade. :norway:

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

fjelltorsk posted:

i wont bore you with the details of my future castle, but the owner has had an appraisal done, and i offered the number the inspector put down, pluss about 5%. they where a bit hesitant, as this home probably would get a pretty decent bidding war on the open market. But the wife was very keen on getting the sale done so they could focus on their own expat-move. I think the twins fixed the deal for us, when they ran around the garden and planned where to have rabbits and a hammock :3: we meet in the bank at wednesday, and i just hope that the bank donīt rape us on the gap loan until our current home is sold.

Preliminary congratulations, and please post some pictures when you get it.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
AI meet norway location found.

fjelltorsk
Sep 2, 2011

I am having a BALL

nm posted:

AI meet norway location found.

The beer will be cold, the sheepsheads will be tasty and rakfisk for everyone

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

fjelltorsk posted:

The beer will be cold, the sheepsheads will be tasty and rakfisk for everyone

The language will be undecipherable.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Astonishing Wang posted:

gently caress THIS D&D poo poo

Here are some cats stuck in cars

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

You've still got a few miles til you'll have to replace the Cat.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Tomarse posted:

I think his chassis poking arm is also getting weaker now. I noticed a likely looking scab on the centre x-member behind the gearbox at the weekend and haven't had a fail for it which has surprised me. I shall probably crawl under and poke it myself now..
I, too, am condemned toa life of poking a crusty undercarriage.

fjelltorsk posted:

So, I quit my job on friday.
Can't blame you for that one.

Coredump posted:

poo poo, isn't the UK trying to privatize the NHS as well?
It's a little more complicated than that, but good luck finding anyone filling column inches with anything except a viewpoint of one extreme or the other.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

http://radiatoryang.itch.io/stick-shift

:gay:

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

MustardFacial posted:

Still makes me laugh

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

May Chat Thread: Degrading to image macros.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

This one is my favourite of them all. When I scrolled to that last frame I fell about laughing.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Sitting in the Columbus airport waiting to head back home. Posting from a perfectly good laptop with decent internet through my cell phone.

We live in amazing times.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I like the one with the shirt half off, and walkers expression after

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Is it wrong that the first thing I thought was "holy poo poo those are bad rear end spring compressors, where can I buy them?"

Seriously those things are sweet. Not all rough pot metal like the Autozone stuff.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
The reviews for Mad Max are unbelievable. I was not expecting such a critical love-in and the real people that have seen it also think it's fantastically demented and brilliant - and the car chases make F&F look like it's kiddies playing in the dirt.

All I wanted was to see and hear The Interceptor one more time, looks like were getting so much more than just that. It looks like we really are getting AI : The Movie.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Cat Terrist posted:

The reviews for Mad Max are unbelievable. I was not expecting such a critical love-in and the real people that have seen it also think it's fantastically demented and brilliant - and the car chases make F&F look like it's kiddies playing in the dirt.

All I wanted was to see and hear The Interceptor one more time, looks like were getting so much more than just that. It looks like we really are getting AI : The Movie.

I heard a review this morning by a reviewer who usually loves art house stuff, and he was gushing over this movie in a really big way. The reviewer even mentioned that he's not a car person, but each time a car was started up or revved in that movie it felt amazing.

Side note: The main bad guy for the new Mad Max movie played Toecutter, the main bad guy in the original Mad Max movie :)

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

It's even pissed off MRAs: http://www.dailydot.com/geek/reviewer-reaction-mad-max-sexism/

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

You Am I posted:

I heard a review this morning by a reviewer who usually loves art house stuff, and he was gushing over this movie in a really big way. The reviewer even mentioned that he's not a car person, but each time a car was started up or revved in that movie it felt amazing.

And that's what's truly surprising - the hoity toity are pretty much in lockstep with the fans of smash em bash ems in how good Fury Road is. People are seriously losing their poo poo for this movie big time.

The stupidity of MRA's always has new ways to surprise.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER
Someone in Raleigh just posted to my work for-sale alias:
"1994 Mazda RX 7 twin turbo with less than 60k miles.
Leather interior, moon roof.
You can come and take a look at it when convenient.
It has always been in a garage. It has not been driven for quite some time and does not currently start.

Let me know if you might be interested.
Thanks,
[name]"

WHAT DO

Edit: She sits two cubes away from me and doesn't care about cars at all. Potential steal?

The Prong Song fucked around with this message at 02:05 on May 14, 2015

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Do it do it do it.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
How bad of an idea is this. http://www.stearnsford.com/detail-2005-ford-f~250sd-diesel_crew_cab-used-13376412.html

I can't tell if the 6.0L woes are real, or if it's just the Internet being the Internet. It sure drags the prices of these trucks down though. I'm pretty sure this one has a good bit of wiggle room on the price.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Generally speaking, the catastrophic "replace entire engine" failures happened very soon after the truck was delivered, if it survived its first 1,000 miles you were pretty safe. Most of those failures were literally "I pulled out of the dealer parking lot after picking up the keys and it died a block later." There are still ways for them to kill themselves - EGR cooler failure and variable-geometry turbo vanes jamming come to mind. I'd definitely go into with with the mindset that being on the hook for major repairs is much more likely than with any other truck.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well as for the AFA, despite faxes of my last 12 paystubs and copies of my W2s from the last two years they still determined that I lied about my income and have canceled my coverage.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Rhyno posted:

Well as for the AFA, despite faxes of my last 12 paystubs and copies of my W2s from the last two years they still determined that I lied about my income and have canceled my coverage.

What did you expect? Combine the compassion of the IRS with the functionality and compassion of the DMV and that's what you get.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kastein posted:

What did you expect? Combine the compassion of the IRS with the functionality and compassion of the DMV and that's what you get.

It just puzzles me. I even took a lower tax credit than last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Sigma X posted:

Someone in Raleigh just posted to my work for-sale alias:
"1994 Mazda RX 7 twin turbo with less than 60k miles.
Leather interior, moon roof.
You can come and take a look at it when convenient.
It has always been in a garage. It has not been driven for quite some time and does not currently start.

Let me know if you might be interested.
Thanks,
[name]"

WHAT DO

Edit: She sits two cubes away from me and doesn't care about cars at all. Potential steal?

You rang.

• Locked thread