Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

ratbert90 posted:

poo poo not pissing me off: Converting a gigantic unwieldy excel spreadsheet into a nice mysql db with a good web interface.

Datatables are fantastic, and you can slap together a sqlalchemy+angular site in no time

Downside: somebody probably has terrible macros in there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J
Jun 10, 2001

ratbert90 posted:

poo poo not pissing me off: Converting a gigantic unwieldy excel spreadsheet into a nice mysql db with a good web interface.

But this looks different. I don't know where anything is. Why can't we just keep using excel?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

evol262 posted:

Datatables are fantastic, and you can slap together a sqlalchemy+angular site in no time

Downside: somebody probably has terrible macros in there

300x30 excel spread sheet, not a single macro.

J posted:

But this looks different. I don't know where anything is. Why can't we just keep using excel?

Because shutup that's why. :smug:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

ConfusedUs posted:

Saves bandwidth if some significant percentage of visitors don't scroll past certain points.

Exactly. This helps customers on mobile devices, too.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
A licensing audit came in... 3 months ago.

Auditor: "Hey, sorry we didn't get back to you in February. Do you want to sign off on the findings?"

Now that we've made sweeping changes in our environment? No.

Auditor: "Uh... I guess we can re-do it?"

Yes. Yes you can.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

dennyk posted:

Oh yeah, and they made our provisioning guy manually trace every power cable in the data center once a month or so (without disconnecting any of them) to verify they were still plugged into the ports they were supposed to be connected to. :smithicide:

That's where I'd do it once, label each end, and in future months kick back for a couple hours with a book .

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf

J posted:

Some rear end in a top hat has scheduled a meeting 2 days in a row now at the same time each day and no showed both times with no word said to anyone about it. gently caress you guy.

I've stopped going to 75% of the meetings I'm invited to, and it's been extremely positive. I go to the ones that I know I need to go to, and the rest typically boil down to these scenarios:

1) People chit-chatting about stupid, unrelated things and the meeting goes over because now we have to rush through the material
2) People not knowing their audience when giving presentations. If you're a DBA presenting a new solution to a bunch of application server admins, nobody gives a poo poo about how you wrote the script and the buttons you click in SSMS to get it to run. Tell them what they need to know, no need for superfluous information.
3) Redundant meetings. We're introducing a new ticketing system and the project manager wants to show us how he's actually putting the system together. Nobody gives a poo poo. It's a ticketing system, just tell us when you're going live with it and the week before just give us training or a demo. There is no need to take us through the journey of building this thing. "You see, you click on New Ticket, and that's how you open a new ticket. Then you can fill in these fields here, like Assignee, Subject, and Resolution. Let's go through each field and explain what they mean..."

Luckily I've been with this company for a while now, so I know whose meetings to avoid and what to expect based on the importance of the meeting. In most cases, they'll send out a recap Powerpoint or minutes summary that gives me a practical explanation of what the meeting was about, along with action items. I also opt to join via Lync rather than physically being in the room for a meeting so I can just leave whenever without being disruptive or rude. Having a busy workload, this helps tremendously with my day-to-day and gives me several extra hours a week to do my work.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Thanks Ants posted:

I'd get that job done in a surprisingly short amount of time I think. And magically without having to lift any floor tiles.

Something tells me this isn't a place that springs for servers with dual power supplies....

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I need to find a way to say "do not send me an email then call me to tell me the things in that email" without sounding antagonistic, but I really need that to stop being a thing that happens, especially at 9pm.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I need to find a way to say "do not send me an email then call me to tell me the things in that email" without sounding antagonistic, but I really need that to stop being a thing that happens, especially at 9pm.

One of my colleagues had something like that happen. Email was received, sender IM'd him "can you take a phone call?", sender calls, proceeds to READ the email he just received to him over the phone, then asked him to respond to the email when he could. End call.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Stop answering your phones at that time

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Did you just offer to pay my mortgage? Because I'm not sure that abandoning my job is a valid response.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Long winded voicemails telling people what to do if you don't pickup provided by google voice forwarding.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Did you just offer to pay my mortgage? Because I'm not sure that abandoning my job is a valid response.

your loss

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

myron cope posted:

We have a report that runs every night to show which stores are closed and which aren't. It hasn't worked for three nights in a row. There's one guy who can fix it (he wrote it, he's the only one that knows even what to look at). I'm guessing tonight is going to be night #4. He gets it working each night.

4 for 4 with a bonus "I don't know why this keeps happening" reply

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Garrand posted:

This made me think of something. If the company promises reimbursement but is so delayed that you get interest on your credit card (since you can't pay it all off before the end of the month) or I guess overdraft fines and fees would it be possible to charge the company to pay for those as well? Just guessing that (in the US at least) the answer would be no and there's no legal grounds to get your money back.

I have a corporate AMEX that gets shut down if it doesn't get paid in full.

They're usually good about it, but one time the report just sat there for a month and it got really down to the wire. If I get my report out in a timely manner I expect them to approve it in the same fashion. You better believe I'm filing an expense report if they gently caress me on a report.

Agrikk posted:

Okay, you have ignored our recommendations three different ways, four if you count our initial recommendation to not split data centers for prod traffic, and now you are complaining that your production site is unstable?

:fuckoff:

I hate people like this! They think they're being slick by using whatever random garbage kit they have and then look at me with a furrowed brow and an attitude when it all goes to piss. You bought cheap, you got cheap. I can't wave a magic wand and make it work this time.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 14, 2015

UberVexer
Jan 5, 2006

I like trains

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I got fired (along with a few other engineers at the company) for saying something of the sort to one of our bosses. We got rehired in like a week with a payraise, and magically that manager was gone, and not every email in my inbox was blinking exclamation mark urgent.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Moey posted:

Something tells me this isn't a place that springs for servers with dual power supplies....

I was going for the 'kick back with a book for a couple hours' method of checking that the cables hadn't moved since the last time they were checked.

meanieface
Mar 27, 2012

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.
Mandatory cultural training. A whole hour of discussing how we can change our habits and meeting times to better work alongside our friends in India.

Nobody understands why I'm so grouchy. I think they've never read a good English novel, and thus lack the concept of foreshadowing.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

"If I email you a file, can you put it in Scott's folder on the network? I don't have access to his folder."

"Why don't you just email the file to Scott?"

:effort:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'm becoming more convinced as each day passes that nobody really has any idea about what they are doing, and that organisations achieve things mainly by luck, and even then 70% of effort spent in pursuit of these goals is completely wasted.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

"If I email you a file, can you put it in Scott's folder on the network? I don't have access to his folder."

It's a surprise birthday file.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Bob Morales posted:

Incriminating evidence.txt
Or maybe it's .zip of these NSFW images:

:nws:
8 NSFW Pics Of Halle Berry

:nws:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Tailored Sauce posted:

I've stopped going to 75% of the meetings I'm invited to, and it's been extremely positive. I go to the ones that I know I need to go to... :words:

Is there a nice way to tell someone to say I don't know if they don't know or shut the gently caress up and stop guessing when problem/question is presented during a meeting?

Example,

Bob: Hey, guys does anyone have any ideas why this parsing process isn't sending the files to upstream server? We're getting error 8x0008987 but the files are still being created...

Thomas: Well, (In the most condescending tone) Bob it looks like to me the error is caused by this process which is a parsing one... And it's giving a very specific error 8x8008987 which means the files aren't being created even though they are...

Bob: ...yes, and how do we fix it?

Tom: Well, I would look at the process and look at the file...

Bob: What part of the file would you look at?

Tom: ...

This is gigantic pet peeve of mine and for whatever reason some people just have to throw in their 2c no matter what and all it does is slow everything down and confuse everyone.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 14, 2015

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Nintex can eat a dick.

That is all.

GentlemansSleepover
Apr 26, 2010
Re: people having to loving say poo poo after every question - this drives me insane. If you don't know the answer, or hell, if the question wasn't directed at you, then why the gently caress are you opening your mouth? This happened to me just recently in a meeting, every question that was asked, this dude had to pipe up and say "something" which was really "nothing whatsoever". He had no knowledge of the poo poo we were talking about but just kept insisting on talking anyway. By the end of it I was ready to get up and smack him in the face, and I don't think I was the only one. I couldn't figure out if this was some kind of strategy to get noticed or if he just loves the sound of his own voice so much that he couldn't help it.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Thanks Ants posted:

I was going for the 'kick back with a book for a couple hours' method of checking that the cables hadn't moved since the last time they were checked.

Ah yes. A much more wise choice.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Sage SalesLogix (well at least is was Sage back when the ancient version we're running came out)

It's not just that the base package is bad, it's also been customised all to hell over the 20-odd years our organisation has been running it so now it also holds a bunch of 'business critical' information which has no business being in a CRM at all.

I'd love to rip the drat thing out and start again, but no one want to own the project or admit that perhaps decades old contact information probably isn'tthat useful.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

dissss posted:

decades old contact information

You mean "hot sales leads"

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Moey posted:

Pre-privacy concerns validated consumer data ripe for the selling?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Adventures in Stripe gets annoyed by pedantic poo poo, Thursday edition: The Trailing Or

Stripe do you want me to try to call him orrrrrr...

Or what? I'll wait.

Be assured this is only an annoyance because this is how one person communicates. This is essentially every question this woman has ever asked.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
That is how our entire staff communicate with clients.

Afaik it's a way to avoid offering up more difficult alternatives.

"I can take a message orrrrrrr I can deal with this myself

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Swink posted:

That is how our entire staff communicate with clients.

Afaik it's a way to avoid offering up more difficult alternatives.

"I can take a message orrrrrrr I can deal with this myself

Usually correct for me, I like to call it the “implied headache”.

“So after talking about this, we can either write a piecemeal conversion script, or passive user conversion on login, or... try and convince someone in support to start manually converting accounts

Usually my implied headaches are massive compliance or qa undertakings for someone else, though. And one time someone took me up on it.

I think they still have someone manually taking ssns out of a database and manually putting them in google docs because they didn’t want to wait a week or two for a secure storage solution.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Moey posted:

Thing is we're not even a sales based organisation (God only knows why we chose SLX in the first place)

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

Ursine Asylum posted:

manually taking ssns out of a database and manually putting them in google docs because they didn’t want to wait a week or two for a secure storage solution.

Backstory for this, please? What in the hell?

J
Jun 10, 2001

Ursine Asylum posted:

I think they still have someone manually taking ssns out of a database and manually putting them in google docs because they didn’t want to wait a week or two for a secure storage solution.

:raise:

What the gently caress?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

I don't know what I hate more, some guy wrecking the paper tray on a printer on Friday morning, or replacing the printer and then noticing an application is hardcoded to send jobs to that printer. Fun times! gently caress printers. gently caress people. gently caress programmers.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

dennyk posted:

Oh yeah, and they made our provisioning guy manually trace every power cable in the data center once a month or so (without disconnecting any of them) to verify they were still plugged into the ports they were supposed to be connected to. :smithicide:
Labels, labels, labels.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Engineering intern kid is 'adding a usb port' to one of our products so people can charge their phone or tablet while they use it.

The company that makes the touchscreen we're using sent him a 'driver file' and he can't open it. I'm pretty sure he needs to load it on the touch screen or something. I have no clue what he's even doing, I told him to ask the company that makes the touch screen what he should do with it, since they sent him the file.

WHAT IS A HEX FILE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Also, moron AS/400 guy has our ACH account setup with his email address (even though I told him a hundred loving times to use ISDept@abc-corp.com for anything like that). Even better, he spelled his own loving name wrong when he signed up.