Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Cool is that one gonna be made from a different material?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Apple Watch - I wish the pebble had an apple logo

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
It seems like the new pebble timeline feature will be a better way to view upcoming events and stuff compared to the cal glance

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Walked posted:

I think it's a flawed but decent gadget.

I like the HR history a lot and it's very accurate (compared to hospital HRM over the weekend).

White coat syndrome, maybe? I've noticed that the heart rate glance always measures a higher heart rate than passive monitoring.

Walked posted:

I also keep my phone in a bag a LOT so it's handy to keep an eye on notifications that way.

Past that, I am still struggling to find solid uses. It's cool, but not earth shattering.

Using it for walking directions is incredibly useful.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

RVProfootballer posted:

Someone should probably update Apple's official guide then

Thank you for being reasonable. Everyone who argued with me about Home button activity is literally just straight up wrong.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Don Lapre posted:

Apple Watch - I wish the pebble had an apple logo

I basically want a Pebble with the Apple Watch app and the OS-level support the Apple Watch has. The Pebble is great and all, but the way it connects to your iPhone is beyond jank and requires an odd ritual of rebooting the watch and your phone on a near-daily basis to work reliably.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
That is simply not true. Not true in general. Maybe you have that experience specifically, but that is not the general pebble user experience.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

rear end Catchcum posted:

That is simply not true. Not true in general. Maybe you have that experience specifically, but that is not the general pebble user experience.

The whole "randomly not working" thing was an issue that persisted across both the Pebble and Pebble Steel as well as different iterative iPhone releases. Seemed pretty common amongst friends with Pebbles too. :shrug:

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

That was my experience. The pebble was garbage compared to the Fitbit Force & Surge, the Basis smartwatch, and now my Apple watch.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

RVProfootballer posted:

Also, how long after release does it take before it's ok to post a totally reasonable minor criticism without being called a literal retard, lol

Well when the issue being discussed is whether or not Apple's UI is intuitive or not, the reasonable and realistic answer to your question is "never".

ShoogaSlim posted:

So it's a back button. Got it.

ShoogaSlim posted:

Thank you for being reasonable. Everyone who argued with me about Home button activity is literally just straight up wrong.

Oh man, thanks for continuing to illustrate the point I was just discussing above. It's hilarious. Here, I did you a favour and found a picture of the only wearable a brain like yours seems capable of handling:

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008

DJCobol posted:

That was my experience. The pebble was garbage compared to the Fitbit Force & Surge, the Basis smartwatch, and now my Apple watch.

Well, I'm not sure what to tell you. I am a current user and I have 3 friends with them and never have any complaints. There was one time when my pebbles battery died and the pairing process took two tries to connect (with both devices needing to be hard reset) but since the software update pebble put out a few months ago I've had nothing but a flawless experience.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

monkeu posted:

Well when the issue being discussed is whether or not Apple's UI is intuitive or not, the reasonable and realistic answer to your question is "never".

If you say so :shrug: I'll continue enjoying posts like those below, haha

3 posted:

Yeah, it's weird at first, but it's exceptionally intuitive and easy to pick up; you'd have to have some kind of brain damage not to get it after at most two days of wearing one.

3 posted:

:siren:HOW TO USE THE APPLE WATCH: A GUIDE FOR THE TERMINALLY DIM:siren:

To return to the watch face from anywhere else on your watch, double-click the crown.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
I got my Apple Watch today. A 38mm aluminum with the blue band. Canceled my space gray Sport. I like it thus far. Not really any complaints yet, but I didn't know what to expect anyhow, so I feel satisfied. Seems fairly simple to use. I picked up on it in a matter of minutes.

Also, the Tomagotchi Classic app has a companion app. Which should be justification enough for purchasing an Apple Watch.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

monkeu posted:

a brain like yours

You do realize you've been pointed out numerous times for directly contradicting yourself, as well as being proven wrong on both of your claims for how the digital crown works, right?

If you don't see that, then I dunno, you must be a literal retard or something...

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

You can be right about the so-called home button having multiple functions without endlessly rolling in your own poo poo about it.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

RVProfootballer posted:

Someone should probably update Apple's official guide then

Oh, guess I was just mistaken then and every time I double clicked the crown to go back to the watch face from the app screen/an app/a glance/a notification this past week and a half I've had this thing on my wrist, it was just a programming error.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Do me a favor - go to the app carousel and open some random app that's not the watch face. Then click the home button once to go to the app carousel again and open a different app that's also not the watch face. From this app, double click the home button and see where it takes you. My guess is it will just take you back to that first app you opened, as per the Apple guide.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

io_burn posted:

I basically want a Pebble with the Apple Watch app and the OS-level support the Apple Watch has. The Pebble is great and all, but the way it connects to your iPhone is beyond jank and requires an odd ritual of rebooting the watch and your phone on a near-daily basis to work reliably.

I have to say this is both not my experience and not how Pebble works on iOS. It's how it worked with Android before Google got their act together but Pebble ties into the Apple Notification Center Service which is system level:

https://developer.apple.com/library...troduction.html

It handles everything from Pebble to cars, actually the Apple Watch probably uses a version of it.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Yeah I'm not sure how it connects "janky." It has its own app just like the apple watch and connects though it...

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

ShoogaSlim posted:

You do realize you've been pointed out numerous times for directly contradicting yourself, as well as being proven wrong on both of your claims for how the digital crown works, right?

If you don't see that, then I dunno, you must be a literal retard or something...

ShoogaSlim posted:

Do me a favor - go to the app carousel and open some random app that's not the watch face. Then click the home button once to go to the app carousel again and open a different app that's also not the watch face. From this app, double click the home button and see where it takes you. My guess is it will just take you back to that first app you opened, as per the Apple guide.

On an Apple touchscreen based device the screen with apps on it has always been the home screen. On a traditional watch it could be argued that the screen that tells the time is traditionally the home screen. The Apple Watch is a mix of both, and apps can be easily launched from either screen if you take 30 seconds to set your Watch up to make it useful to you. Pressing the digital crown will take you directly to whichever one of these two home screens you launched the app from, regardless of how many menus deep you are within a particular app. Therefore it quite clearly functions like a home button.

You also get automatically returned to the watch face every time you let the screen go to sleep if you choose to set it that way.

Your original point was that the device was unintuitive. It isn't. You can continue making GBS threads up this thread by arguing about a device you have extremely limited personal experience with, or you can stop making yourself look like a complete moron. Your choice :laugh:

monkeu fucked around with this message at 04:37 on May 14, 2015

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Yeah I'm not sure how it connects "janky." It has its own app just like the apple watch and connects though it...

I'm sorry if I've offended your family's honor I was just relaying my experience with the Pebble lineup of products.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I don't care dude as long as your experiences aren't exaggerated or fabricated. You were ragging on a feature that is basically the same way Apple handles it and that's lovely. Misinformation is lovely.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

3 posted:

:siren:HOW TO USE THE APPLE WATCH: A GUIDE FOR THE TERMINALLY DIM:siren:

To return to the watch face from anywhere else on your watch, double-click the crown.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NY9ZuLFu5c

This demo clearly shows that this isn't always the case.

monkeu posted:

Pressing the crown once takes you to the home screen.

monkeu posted:

Pressing the home button once will always return you to where you launched it from - either the app screen or the watch face.

monkeu posted:

Pressing the digital crown will take you directly to whichever one of these two home screens you launched the app from.

You aren't wrong here, even though you flip-flop on the fact there is a "home" button, but there isn't necessarily just one home screen depending on how you like to think about watches or whatever stupid argument you're trying to make.

But my original point was not that the Watch UI is unintuitive, I simply mentioned that I read about it being unintuitive. My main gripe, with my limited experience, is that it seemed frustrating to have to go through so many steps to be able to access Glances, which are touted as really quick and easy things to access on the fly. The fact that these can be only accessed from the Watch face, which isn't always just one or two taps away, is all I was bringing up.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo shut up

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
drat, this thread got bad quick.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
The apple watch is so intuitive and simple to use that it starts fights about how simple and intuitive it is

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005

Dirk Pitt posted:

drat, this thread got bad quick.

you don't get it, everyone is wrong because he read a thing online. He is a character in Catch 22

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Holy poo poo shut up
He's right though.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
So no activation lock on the Apple Watch? WTF?

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Three Olives posted:

Yeah, I'm bummed about this and no lost mode either. I totally get that it's near impossible to lose when you're wearing it, but I still would like that little bit of security; especially with the Edition.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
I'm amused by the latest tech blogger circlejerk of "No activation lock = muggers on the hunt for Apple Watch." Watch thieves aren't going to be specifically targeting Apple Watches. High-end watches are worth far more, are far easier to flip, and are way more common. I mean, a gold Rolex is going to be worth at minimum 3x what an Apple Watch Edition is worth, and even ultra-common stainless Omegas, Tags, and similar are worth more than an Apple Watch.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Three Olives posted:

Not sure h they can implement that without cellular radios on the watch.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

io_burn posted:

I'm amused by the latest tech blogger circlejerk of "No activation lock = muggers on the hunt for Apple Watch." Watch thieves aren't going to be specifically targeting Apple Watches. High-end watches are worth far more, are far easier to flip, and are way more common. I mean, a gold Rolex is going to be worth at minimum 3x what an Apple Watch Edition is worth, and even ultra-common stainless Omegas, Tags, and similar are worth more than an Apple Watch.
But there aren't millions of those out there. Theft is largely a crime of opportunity. More people with Apple Watches means more chances that Apple Watches will get stolen.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Whirlwind Jones posted:

But there aren't millions of those out there. Theft is largely a crime of opportunity. More people with Apple Watches means more chances that Apple Watches will get stolen.

Wait, are you saying you think there's more Apple Watches in the wild than there are luxury watches?

http://www.statisticbrain.com/wrist-watch-industry-statistics/

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

io_burn posted:

Wait, are you saying you think there's more Apple Watches in the wild than there are luxury watches?

Apple invented the watch.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Don Lapre posted:

It's loving insane seeing all these people who genuinely seem to think that.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

io_burn posted:

A plausible argument is that your average mugger isn't going to be able to tell the difference between a luxury watch and a knockoff/cheap watch while it's pretty easy to tell whether somebody has an Apple Watch on their wrist.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

e: ^^^^

io_burn posted:

loving obviously there are more regular watches than Apple watches out there, but I don't think watch aficionados are going out mugging people for their poo poo. People know Apple Watches are hot right now, and they're easily distinguished from some other type of watch which may or may not be valuable enough to be worth the trouble/risk.

In the short time that the AW has been out, I've seen/noticed more of them than I've ever noticed someone's gold Rolex.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

ShoogaSlim posted:

In the short time that the AW has been out, I've seen/noticed more of them than I've ever noticed someone's gold Rolex.

I think that's the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon.

I'm gonna wear an android watch on my other arm and leave it exposed for potential muggers. A drop watch, if you will.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Don Lapre posted:

No, but Apple invented the smartwatch that people will actually buy, wear, and that there will be a resale and accessory market built around.

• Locked thread