Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

ErIog posted:

I just imagine a child taking the metal rod and beating a cat to death with it,
What kind of piece of poo poo kids do you hang out with that when you see a metal rod your first thought is "a kid would beat a cat to death with this, I know it"?

Elysiume has a new favorite as of 05:04 on May 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatwave
Feb 21, 2014

Truest Detective - Work Crew Division.
:dong::yayclod:
Can someone explain what is this $9 computer on kickstarter that's been blowing up and is it bullshit?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598272670/chip-the-worlds-first-9-computer/video_share

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
It's not really anything that hasn't been done by various other companies, though perhaps a bit smaller. Just do a Google search for Raspberry Pi or MIPS Creator CI20.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Meatwave posted:

Can someone explain what is this $9 computer on kickstarter that's been blowing up and is it bullshit?

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598272670/chip-the-worlds-first-9-computer/video_share

Looks like a Raspberry Pi knockoff.

Imagine an $80 Chinese tablet. Now imagine all of its components being sold to you piecemeal, and also that it runs Linux. That is the C.H.I.P. experience. It's gonna be pretty drat sluggish for trying to accomplish much of anything.

$9 gets you composite video out, a headphone jack, and a USB port. The HDMI adapter adds an extra $15 to the cost.

Raspberry Pi 2 is only $35, though, and has better features along with an existing community.

ErIog has a new favorite as of 06:17 on May 13, 2015

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

That's the computer for third-world countries where everyone has HDMI televisions, right?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TetsuoTW posted:

That's the computer for third-world countries where everyone has HDMI televisions, right?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

TetsuoTW posted:

This one or the Raspberry Pi? Because the pi doesn't bill itself as the solution to third world problems. It's a neat tool for first world people to learn hardware level computing.

Raspberry Pi's are actually really neat.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

No I meant the thing unpacked robinhood posted, I was getting that confused with this $9 computer thing. In fairness the $9 computer sounds way, way dumber.

sub supau has a new favorite as of 07:55 on May 13, 2015

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

TetsuoTW posted:

No I meant the thing unpacked robinhood posted, I was getting that confused with this $9 computer thing. In fairness the $9 computer sounds way, way dumber.

And it has already gotten one million dollars.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
But if I don't buy the $9 computer, how will I play all the DOS games I've been itching to try?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I hate everybody in that video.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

And it has already gotten one million dollars.
So did the Ouya.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Probably not new to this thread but speaking of Ouya, it's going well.

http://fortune.com/2015/04/28/exclusive-gaming-startup-ouya-needs-to-find-a-buyer-quickly/

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

TetsuoTW posted:

So did the Ouya.

These people have no ambition besides selling you disposable poo poo, so they are at least marginally smarter than Uhrmann

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Meatwave posted:

Why does this kickstarter talk to me like I'm in fuckin Kindergarten.

"This is a computer... it DOES things!! If you have this computer, you can do things! This computer is VEEEERRY small! :buddy:"

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Why does this kickstarter talk to me like I'm in fuckin Kindergarten.
Because its target audience is retarded.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
CHIP is weird as a Pi competitor. If you don't need HDMI it's cheaper, but the HDMI shield brings it up to the same price, and seems to take up every IO pin.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
The Video Games are my pation and i wanna to share that pation and help my family and many pepople.

The Ultimate Board Game That Will Test If You Are The Ideal Man Or Woman For Dating. #GetInTheGame #DareIfYouWill

quote:

I have two great prototype of this this new exciting board game. A board game that you will certainly want to play. With your help, that will certainly change. Last Two Standing is a game that calls for a combination being truthful and strategy. Not much, but just some.

Remain standing in the game by answering a series of intuitive unisex questions, that will certainly put you at the edge of your seat, and you will be crowned as a winner. Additionally, the last one standing from both sides will be hailed as the most idealistic man and woman for dating!
:psyduck:

A classic "buy me a PC!" KS

quote:

i have played games sense i was able to hold a controller. it started with Nintendo (like most children) then moved to the gamecube, then the PS2, Xbox 360, Xbox ONE, and now my computer. i have a small lintel i3 possessor and i can barly play csgo and run skype at the same time.

Risks and Challenges

i need to become popular on twitch
There are two tiers for "free" knives in the rewards.

You know that saying if you build it they will come? Play your friends its multiplayer sends messages too.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
Does Chip have a shell. That'd be nice.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Does Chip have a shell. That'd be nice.

Sort of. You can plug it a case that has a display, keyboard and battery. Other than that if it takes off I'm sure there'll be a bunch of cases designed for it. Or you can Dremel holes and epoxy offsets into an Altoids case.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Meatwave posted:

Its literally a cheaper and shittier Raspberry Pi. Its getting lots of money because people are stupid and "super cheap computer" is a really easy thing to get people sold on. If you can't spend $35 on a computer maybe save up some money.

The Pi has a use case for parents who want to let their kids tinker but don't want them to accidentally fdisk their family's machine or something. So you buy them a cheap Pi and if they break it, whatever. Pi's got all kinds of great GPIO pins so that people who already know computers but just want something cheap to toss into something they're building and drive it can use it to do lots of powerful things too.

This thing... nobody is ever going to use it to do anything. But the fact that "it plays games! its $9!" means people are eating it up.

Except if you want proper features it costs you $90. Its just the super-basic base unit you can't do much with that's $9. They're practically subsidizing it.

Its like if Raspberry started selling Pis for $5 but then charged you $80 for any shield. They could do that too.

quote:

C.H.I.P. teaches you to code!
C.H.I.P. comes pre-loaded with Scratch - an easy to learn language that teaches the basics of programing by making stories, games, and animations

You can't just include a compiler and say it teaches you to code, FFS.

quote:

C.H.I.P. rocks hard!
Connect a MIDI keyboard to C.H.I.P. and jam. Use it as a portable music player or as part of your favorite setup. Attach powered speakers and hear your tunes at full volume. Rock on!

I doubt there's a single MIDI keyboard on the planet Earth that wouldn't have a better on-board synthesizer than C.H.I.P.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 17:24 on May 13, 2015

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*
Actually, I think CHIP could be used to make a software implementation of something like the GIMIC. But then again, the Pi would do it better :v:

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
Bloody ages ago there was some discussion in this thread about putting solar panels in the road.

An experimental one in the Netherlands is apparently doing better than expected: http://phys.org/news/2015-05-solaroad-path-electricity-yield.html

The fact it's on a road used exclusively by cyclists definitely helps mitigate wear and tear compared to a regular road for cars and trucks. It's also in a rather open area so shadows aren't much of an issue.

But the article also points out maintenance costs may be pretty high, seeing how the frost damaged it last winter, which I posted about when it did: https://twitter.com/PercyTwits/status/548754743557128192/photo/1

The article refers to this as "delamination" but it looks like broken glass, the kind you'd steer your bicycle around. Creating potentially unsafe traffic situations is also something to consider if this is to be implemented on a large scale.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Spain has been putting solar panels up in its cemeteries. They provide shade for people visiting and people don't really visit all that often anyways.

Seems pretty much perfect to me, compared to roads which are heavily trafficked. Just do building roofs and cemeteries first.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

TetsuoTW posted:

That hardware looks uncomfortably similar to those old macs.

Also the future of computing in the developing world is cheap smartphones. And they seems to realize that, but for some reason are giving people this big, totally un-portable device.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Xandu posted:

That hardware looks uncomfortably similar to those old macs.

Also the future of computing in the developing world is cheap smartphones. And they seems to realize that, but for some reason are giving people this big, totally un-portable device.

Nah that one's actually been designed in consultation with people in the intended countries. Many of them already have smartphones, and want a full fledged computer with actual storage and the like. It's also not running a completely bizarre forked OS like say the OLPC did.

Also, several of the intended places have high import tariffs on regular computers, but the project aims to use local production to avoid that. That's something that can be much more difficult with an excessively small device or a flat out mobile device.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Stick Insect posted:

Bloody ages ago there was some discussion in this thread about putting solar panels in the road.

An experimental one in the Netherlands is apparently doing better than expected: http://phys.org/news/2015-05-solaroad-path-electricity-yield.html

The fact it's on a road used exclusively by cyclists definitely helps mitigate wear and tear compared to a regular road for cars and trucks. It's also in a rather open area so shadows aren't much of an issue.

But the article also points out maintenance costs may be pretty high, seeing how the frost damaged it last winter, which I posted about when it did: https://twitter.com/PercyTwits/status/548754743557128192/photo/1

The article refers to this as "delamination" but it looks like broken glass, the kind you'd steer your bicycle around. Creating potentially unsafe traffic situations is also something to consider if this is to be implemented on a large scale.

Can we take a moment to talk about my project to install solar panels at the bottom of all those unused oceans

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Stick Insect posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-ZSXB3KDF0

TLDW: Calculations from the data show that it's only a tiny bit better than expected (technically better but not even worth mentioning unless you want to be weasely about it), that it's half as good as rooftop installations in the same area, and based on that it would be better just to build roofs over the bike paths with solar panels on them like South Korea does.

BattleMaster has a new favorite as of 01:00 on May 14, 2015

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Nintendo Kid posted:

Nah that one's actually been designed in consultation with people in the intended countries. Many of them already have smartphones, and want a full fledged computer with actual storage and the like. It's also not running a completely bizarre forked OS like say the OLPC did.

Also, several of the intended places have high import tariffs on regular computers, but the project aims to use local production to avoid that. That's something that can be much more difficult with an excessively small device or a flat out mobile device.

Maybe, I will 100% admit it doesn't belong in this thread, but I'm not sure it's the right idea.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Jedit posted:

So Doobie got twice his funding goal, came back to the well for another $3k before selling all his own poo poo to get the money and everyone said "gently caress that guy, what an rear end in a top hat!" But the makers of a console nostalgia game make ten times their goal, come back to the well twice for $200k each time, and it's "Jeez, you're getting mad over nothing". Right.

what in the gently caress are you talking about

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Zaphod42 posted:

I doubt there's a single MIDI keyboard on the planet Earth that wouldn't have a better on-board synthesizer than C.H.I.P.

a midi keyboard is literally a controller so actually 0 midi keyboards will have a better on-board synth because they don't have any on board synth chips by design

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Stux posted:

what in the gently caress are you talking about
He seems to think people are super buttmad about Doobie doing a thing.

turnip kid
May 24, 2010
http://www.stereogum.com/1801049/vnyl-sliding-why-the-netflix-for-vinyl-service-is-such-a-mess/franchises/essay/

quote:

In short, the service being pitched by VNYL would have violated copyright law. The old-school Netflix model worked well for DVDs because movies weren’t covered in the Record Rental Amendment — but applying that same model to vinyl records (or cassettes, or CDs) would have been illegal.

VNYL was supposed to start shipping records to subscribers in early February, but it didn’t actually do so till early April. When those records arrived, there were no instructions for how they might be returned — almost as if VNYL had simply forgotten to include such instructions. Initially, this was met with cheery confusion.

[...]
NYL’s fatal mistake, of course, was in doing a lax job of hand-curation. Had no one wanted to return the records they’d been sent, there would have been no problem. VNYL’s promise was to select records for the individual subscriber based on “#vibe” — with #vibe defined by the subscriber’s existing tastes and interests — but numerous commenters didn’t feel their own #vibe had been reflected in the records mailed to them by VNYL. Here are some samples*:

Wrote Bill LaMonaca on April 22:

I am highly dissatisfied with what I was sent. All three were complete losers, and there was no real variety. And I’m not sure how you categorize the records — I would not call Steppenwolf a “Lazy Saturday” listen, nor would I classify Uriah Heep as “Dinner Music.”
Wrote Kaleena Burgess on May 8:

This was backed and bought as a birthday gift for my boyfriend who is open to all types of music. We waited and waited … no shipment. Finally we received an email stating that our one-month trial was expiring. EXPIRING? We hadn’t even received the first shipment yet. A few days later it arrived! And by “it” I mean three lovely rear end old records from the ’60s and ’70s. Things we could have picked up in the bargain bin at our local record store.
Wrote Matt Darst on May 11:

I received three poor-quality ’80s metal albums that were likely pulled from a 50-cent bin that in no way approximate my musical tastes.

Loving finding their hand-curated trash heap picks on Twitter.

turnip kid has a new favorite as of 14:36 on May 14, 2015

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

TetsuoTW posted:

He seems to think people are super buttmad about Doobie doing a thing.

B-B-B-BUT DOOBIE.... THE FROG DOG.... HE TOOK OUR MONEY... THE VENT HOOD!!!!!!!!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
I will never not be mad until all hotdogs in the world are properly cooked.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Someone posted this in the NMD vinyl thread and it's a pretty funny kickstarter disaster:

http://www.stereogum.com/1801049/vnyl-sliding-why-the-netflix-for-vinyl-service-is-such-a-mess/franchises/essay/

A summary:

VNYL is a service that promises to be like Netflix for Vinyl records (except you pay per shipment, not per month). It's a bad deal on its face: Pay around $12 for three random records that you have to send back. You can keep the ones you like for an additional $12/ea. The only way that's a good idea is if the records are really great/out of print/rare. The idea that people would "discover" new music that they like through that service is ridiculous. You can listen to practically any album online for free (and legally!) these days. You can buy stuff on vinyl that you know you like for cheaper than this service was offering.

Of course, when the campaign starts delivering the goods, it's nothing like they promised. There is a law that prevents the rental of records. So they change the business model: Now you get to keep all three records. It's just a monthly vinyl mystery box. And since they had to get the cost way down, everyone gets dollar-bin records (or at least stuff worth less than $5). And they didn't tell anybody about this until they started getting the records. The kickstarter comments are full of people asking how they return their shipment.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.
People, just go to a local antique store, they've got a stack of vinyl records ten feet tall and most of them probably cost less than $1.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

wa27 posted:

Of course, when the campaign starts delivering the goods, it's nothing like they promised. There is a law that prevents the rental of records.

It's even better than that. The law only prevents the rental (and lending! You can't *lend* your records to people!) of *musical* recordings. You can rent Lenny Bruce records or whatever all you want, just no music.

Copyright law is so dumb.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

Phanatic posted:

It's even better than that. The law only prevents the rental (and lending! You can't *lend* your records to people!) of *musical* recordings. You can rent Lenny Bruce records or whatever all you want, just no music.

Copyright law is so dumb.

It's basically the recording industry equivalent of there still be a law on the books requiring all horseless carriages to be led by pedestrian waving a red flag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turnip kid
May 24, 2010

Great Rumbler posted:

It's basically the recording industry equivalent of there still be a law on the books requiring all horseless carriages to be led by pedestrian waving a red flag.

The best part is he conveniently opened a record store while the packages were supposed to go out.