Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Festus The Fetus
Mar 8, 2010

Bobo the Red posted:

In real world examples of monarchies/nobility, you can lose your place in line for way smaller infractions. I guess Westeros could have completely insane lax rules about that, but it would be weird.

You can still end up king, which Robert did, and if you do, you can claim legitimacy to your heart's content, because you're the king. That gets harder to sell when someone with a better claim comes around and you try to murder her, though....

For a real world example Robert is essentially the same as Henry VII founder of the Tudor dynasty. They both came from bastard houses that had been legitimized and both won their crowns in battle over better claimants, or at least those with a clearer blood claim.

Spoiler: House Lancaster goes extinct in the war of the roses.

edit: Richard III would be a good combo of the mad king and Tywin because no one liked him and he ordered the deaths of his older brothers sons.

actually probably York=Stark, Lancaster=Lannister, Plantagenet Dynasty=Targaryen Dynasty. lol kinda lazy actually he basically combined real people and houses from history to write his story.

Festus The Fetus fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Someone earlier asked about Eastern Kingdoms and such. There is a China analogue in the Golden Empire of Yi Ti, which is implied to be pretty huge. Its distant enough that it never really comes up (I think Ibben gets heavier mention), and no one will ever go there. Notably on their northern border they have a Wall analogue (not made of ice) that combined with natural barriers keeps them separated from a desert inhabited by "demons" and "bloodless men".

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I really wish Sunday's episode had been a better episode. It was a bad episode ly.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

counterfeitsaint posted:

All men must squat.

Valar marpoopus.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Festus The Fetus posted:

edit: Richard III would be a good combo of the mad king and Tywin because no one liked him and he ordered the deaths of his older brothers sons.
Lots of people liked him actually. All in all he was a pretty good king as far as kings go.

I'd recommend you don't use Shakespeare as an historical source because:
a) he exaggerated wildly. And when he wasn't exaggerating, he just plain loving made poo poo up.
b) he was desperate to ingratiate himself with the Tudor dynasty for money and also to avoid imminent death. So he might, just might, not be the most unbiased source!

Although the stoic honorable Ned Stark being portrayed as a treacherous fiend by the Lannisters fits the theme rather well.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

marktheando posted:

I'm Scottish and so I have a banknote in my wallet right now with a picture of Robert the Bruce, King of Scots on it. Our greatest national hero, the man who defeated the English at Bannockburn 700 years ago. A man who stabbed his cousin to death in front of the altar of a church to get on the throne.

I don't know where you get the idea that murdering rival claimants disqualifies you from inheritance. If you have an army to back up your claim it doesn't matter how many people you murder.

I stated right there that you can still end up king and legitimize yourself, but until your rear end is on the throne, you absolutely are an usurper.

cock hero flux posted:

Several people could have been king by right of conquest. Tywin Lannister, Jon Arryn, and Ned Stark all had armies and all fought against the Mad King(some more than others). The reason Robert was the one who assumed the throne is because he had a claim on it. It wasn't a great claim, but any claim is better than no claim.

"I'm the King because my mother's mother's father was the King" sounds stupid but it's 1000 times better than "I'm the King because I killed the old King". If you're the King because you killed the old King, the lords under you will think one of two things. Some of them will think "If he's the King because he killed the old King, what's to stop me from killing him and being the King?" and some of them will think "If I'm a Lord because my father was a Lord, but the King is the King because he killed the old King, what's to stop someone from killing me, and becoming a Lord?" Neither of these are things you want your subordinates to be thinking, so any kind of claim you can come up with, no matter how tenuous, will reduce the number of enemies you have. If you're the King solely because of your personal military strength, then you only remain King so long as you are the strongest. If you're the King because of tradition, however, and all your Lords are Lords because of tradition, then it's in everyone's best interest to keep the tradition running, even if it's a lie and everyone really knows that you wouldn't be the King if you hadn't put old King's head on a pike. It shows that the war was only a minor hiccup, and things will return to how they used to be, just with a different man in charge.

Ned explicitly did not want to be king, Tywin would have been immediately overthrown by the others since he did a last minute turn around, and Arryn was basically going along with the war of his proteges, so it would have been strange for him to take charge after. It was Robert and Ned's war, and one of them wanted the throne far less than the other.

"I'm the King because my mother's mother's father was the King" sounds stupid because that is not why he is king. He is king because he declared war against the throne and won. He killed the crown prince, someone else killed most of the rest, and then he called himself king. He was never the rightful heir. He wasn't the rightful heir before he rebelled, or when he became king. He did not need to be, because he loving won. After he did that, he can then say, "oh yeah, my grandma blahblahblah" but that is not why he is king (especially since people with better claims to the throne were and are alive). Daenerys was born after the rebellion, but Vyseris wasn't; there was never a break in Targaryen succession that made Robert the heir.

"If you're the King solely because of your personal military strength, then you only remain King so long as you are the strongest." This is exactly what happened: Robert was king until someone came along and deposed him. He didn't lose in a war, because he had really strong ties with most of the ruling families, but eventually someone saw an opportunity and got rid of him. Now Stannnis is trying to depose Tommen, but so far, Tommen is in a stronger position. Both their claims to the throne only exist if Robert started a new dynasty; otherwise, Daenerys is queen (and Stannis should be rallying to her in accordance to his love of rules)

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Arglebargle III posted:

I really wish Sunday's episode had been a better episode. It was a bad episode ly.

Yeah it was a dull episode where not much happened except for repitition of that which had come before. Tyrion and Jorah have another conversation about the (lack of) wine. Brienne tells someone about her oath for the 44 millionth time. The Boltons are shown to be big meanies and Ramsay has daddy issues (again). There's a scene with some angry women on a beach which seems to have been broadly panned. We didnt get any more of Cersei's swift and so far very succesful King's Landing power grab, which is probably the most fun place in Westeros right now.

Someone got eaten by Dragons at least.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

hiddenmovement posted:

Yeah it was a dull episode where not much happened

Stannis is marching on Winterfell :colbert:

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Schizotek posted:

Someone earlier asked about Eastern Kingdoms and such. There is a China analogue in the Golden Empire of Yi Ti, which is implied to be pretty huge. Its distant enough that it never really comes up (I think Ibben gets heavier mention), and no one will ever go there. Notably on their northern border they have a Wall analogue (not made of ice) that combined with natural barriers keeps them separated from a desert inhabited by "demons" and "bloodless men".

I'd watch that spin-off.

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'd watch that spin-off.

I tried watching red cliff and internal affairs and my problem with asian media is i can never tell the characters apart.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'd watch that spin-off.

The Netflix Marco Polo series is pretty much what you're asking for. It's a Game of Thrones-inspired period drama about Kublai Khan and his conquest in Song China.

No fantasy elements, obviously, unless you count a blind monk who's a Kung Fu master, or Arab ninja assassins. (Marco himself is pretty boring, but Hundred Eyes is awesome as gently caress.)

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Xealot posted:

The Netflix Marco Polo series is pretty much what you're asking for. It's a Game of Thrones-inspired period drama about Kublai Khan and his conquest in Song China.

No fantasy elements, obviously, unless you count a blind monk who's a Kung Fu master, or Arab ninja assassins. (Marco himself is pretty boring, but Hundred Eyes is awesome as gently caress.)
"Let's make a TV series where we take the writings of Marco Polo at face value" is pretty much fantasy.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

JT Jag posted:

"Let's make a TV series where we take the writings of Marco Polo at face value" is pretty much fantasy.

You haven't read Marco Polo if you think the TV-series is even close to as over the top and bat poo poo insane as the original tale is.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

The Human Crouton posted:

Jorah's stonebutt.

It never gets that far, while the virus thinks he's a cool guy it would prefer to just stay friends.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Xoidanor posted:

You haven't read Marco Polo if you think the TV-series is even close to as over the top and bat poo poo insane as the original tale is.
I just haven't watched the TV series, actually.

If they didn't go full over the top it's a shame.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I take it the whole stonemen thing is GRMM's equivalent of leprosy?

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."

Hexel posted:

I take it the whole stonemen thing is GRMM's equivalent of leprosy?

Pretty much. It's high infectious and the people who get it either get to Old Valyria or outright killed.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
Is there any reason they get exiled to Old Valyria specifically?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

It's far away from everyone.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

There's no one around.

Edit: beaten like a Stone Man.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Bobo the Red posted:

I stated right there that you can still end up king and legitimize yourself, but until your rear end is on the throne, you absolutely are an usurper.

Ned explicitly did not want to be king, Tywin would have been immediately overthrown by the others since he did a last minute turn around, and Arryn was basically going along with the war of his proteges, so it would have been strange for him to take charge after. It was Robert and Ned's war, and one of them wanted the throne far less than the other.

"I'm the King because my mother's mother's father was the King" sounds stupid because that is not why he is king. He is king because he declared war against the throne and won. He killed the crown prince, someone else killed most of the rest, and then he called himself king. He was never the rightful heir. He wasn't the rightful heir before he rebelled, or when he became king. He did not need to be, because he loving won. After he did that, he can then say, "oh yeah, my grandma blahblahblah" but that is not why he is king (especially since people with better claims to the throne were and are alive). Daenerys was born after the rebellion, but Vyseris wasn't; there was never a break in Targaryen succession that made Robert the heir.

:confused: Nobody said he was the "rightful Heir". They said he had a more legitimate claim than the rest of the lords after the war, and the fact that he killed or exiled everybody in line before him doesn't take away that legitimacy, which is what you're arguing about. While yes, Robert did establish a new Dynasty, he had a legitimate claim to the throne beyond just the fact that he won. And also, despite being the one who killed his father, Tyrion could easily return to be the Lord of Casterly Rock, because he still has hereditary claim to it, he just needs support to oppose Cersei and company.

quote:

"If you're the King solely because of your personal military strength, then you only remain King so long as you are the strongest." This is exactly what happened: Robert was king until someone came along and deposed him. He didn't lose in a war, because he had really strong ties with most of the ruling families, but eventually someone saw an opportunity and got rid of him. Now Stannis is trying to depose Tommen, but so far, Tommen is in a stronger position. Both their claims to the throne only exist if Robert started a new dynasty; otherwise, Daenerys is queen (and Stannis should be rallying to her in accordance to his love of rules)

Robert wasn't deposed, as far as almost everybody in the world knows, he died from a hunting accident and left an heir, who -despite Lannister Incest, Rumors of Lannister Incest, and Ned's investigations and subterfuge with Robert's last will- was the child Robert declared as his legitimate son and heir, and when he died, it passed on to his brother, the other child Robert recognized publicly as his own and the legitimate next in succession.

Stannis could depose Tommen and would probably be able to rule without objection because of the rumors, but that doesn't make him the rightful heir. You only think so because you have an omniscient POV. A child who is suspected to be a bastard as a result of the queen's infidelity isn't automatically one without proof or a confession by the queen, if the king believes the child is his.

Dany's claim is legitimate, but she still has to win the throne back, she can't just set foot on Westeros and say "mine!".

If some other outsider came along and conquered and took the throne with no claim at all, they would have a hard time holding it without dragons, as Dany is discovering in Meereen.

(p.s., I love that Google Chrome's spell-checker corrects for GOT proper nouns!).

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Yeah, it's an abandoned place that nobody else wants because of the Doom.

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 14, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

The concept behind Valyria is pretty much "what if the Romans had dragons, and the capital of the Roman Empire was Pompeii?"

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
It just seems like a tall order for these disabled folks to make it all the way to Valyria. I would probably just hang in the woods closer to home.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The world of GoT doesn't seem like a place where folks would bother sending family members off to live in a far away leper colony. They'd just slice their throats, toss 'em in a ditch, and move on.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

It just seems like a tall order for these disabled folks to make it all the way to Valyria. I would probably just hang in the woods closer to home.

Seems like a tall order to ship all the lepers to a colony in Molokai, too. But it's a forced move, so it's not like they have a choice in the matter. And the disease seems to rob them of their wits a bit, so self-imposed exile would only last so long.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

feedmyleg posted:

The world of GoT doesn't seem like a place where folks would bother sending family members off to live in a far away leper colony. They'd just slice their throats, toss 'em in a ditch, and move on.

They likely get the option to trek to Valyria or get butchered. Most people probably wouldn't even give the offer. Getting your heart stab seems like a mercy compared to slowly dying and turning feral.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, it's just weird to me that if greyscale can rub off onto a doll and make that doll be infectious, that anyone would risk transporting these guys halfway across the world instead of burning them immediately.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Grayscale is really infectious. Kill someone and toss 'em in a ditch and there's a chance their body might infect the water table.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

It's probably more common in Essos (specifically, the Free Cities like Volantis). In Westeros, I imagine Valyria is "privilege" exclusively reserved for wealthy families (e.g. the Baratheons) who could afford it. Craster just let the disease run its course for his two daughters and then dragged them out into the woods to make an end of it. I bet it's a similar story for other poor people.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

JT Jag posted:

Grayscale is really infectious. Kill someone and toss 'em in a ditch and there's a chance their body might infect the water table.

That makes more sense, actually. If getting so much as touched puts you at risk then a spray of blood or a corpse tainting the soil/water will definitely be bad news. I guess if someone shows symptoms they just hand them a rowboat and tell them to go down the river until they reach Valyria.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Walda
:spiceking:
A whale named Walda.

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations

Baron von Eevl posted:

I'm gonna go for the wildcard and say Tyrion.
up

The Human Crouton posted:

Jorah's stonebutt.
for

Bobo the Red posted:

No one's (jaqen)
these

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

My Q-Face posted:

:confused: Nobody said he was the "rightful Heir". They said he had a more legitimate claim than the rest of the lords after the war, and the fact that he killed or exiled everybody in line before him doesn't take away that legitimacy, which is what you're arguing about. While yes, Robert did establish a new Dynasty, he had a legitimate claim to the throne beyond just the fact that he won. And also, despite being the one who killed his father, Tyrion could easily return to be the Lord of Casterly Rock, because he still has hereditary claim to it, he just needs support to oppose Cersei and company.

I don't see how Robert would have any legitimacy as a Targaryen king, even if killing everyone in front of him didn't eliminate him from the line, because he failed to do so: Viserys was alive. Anyone who would care about Robert's grandma would know enough to know Vyseris was alive, which meant Robert's Targaryen blood was worth all of nothing, because if the Targaryen line mattered, Robert wasn't king. Like, I get that it was a cited reason for why Robert and not the others, but it seems ridiculous.

But then all nobility sorta insane anyway, so maybe I shouldn't get hung up on "I killed most of this family, so you should give me their stuff because I am related to them. Why yes, that kid is more closely related but don't worry, i'll kill him too maybe"

quote:

Robert wasn't deposed, as far as almost everybody in the world knows, he died from a hunting accident and left an heir, who -despite Lannister Incest, Rumors of Lannister Incest, and Ned's investigations and subterfuge with Robert's last will- was the child Robert declared as his legitimate son and heir, and when he died, it passed on to his brother, the other child Robert recognized publicly as his own and the legitimate next in succession.

Stannis could depose Tommen and would probably be able to rule without objection because of the rumors, but that doesn't make him the rightful heir. You only think so because you have an omniscient POV. A child who is suspected to be a bastard as a result of the queen's infidelity isn't automatically one without proof or a confession by the queen, if the king believes the child is his.

This is a funny misunderstanding because a few pages back I was the one arguing that Tommen is the rightful king of Westeros, and Stannis is full of poo poo for pretty much those reasons. You're right though, Stannis is actually fighting for a different Baratheon dynasty than Robert/Tommen's

quote:

If some other outsider came along and conquered and took the throne with no claim at all, they would have a hard time holding it without dragons, as Dany is discovering in Meereen.

Robert managed to hold Westeros for a while without dragons precisely because he wasn't an outsider. He was a Stormlord, and forged closed ties with two other great Lords, and married the daughter of another. The Targaryens generally preffered not to do that, and that's largely why the were in decline: they came as conquerors and kept themselves apart. I honestly don't see why his ties to a Targaryen would matter at all, since the whole rebellion was about ousting a dynasty of entitled psychos.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Bobo the Red posted:

Excuse me for thinking committing murder makes you a bad person.

What good intentions did Cat have, anyway? She counseled Rob into a rebellion fueled by vengeance and got thousands killed for it.

Robb and the Northmen (and Rivermen) were already forced into rebellion by Joffrey declaring them all traitors if they didn't show up in King's Landing and submit to him (and allow themselves to be hostages forever).

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Robert was the legitimate king by right of conquest. Having a really old bloodline tie to the Targaryens to make it look authentic was just a bonus.

It also would have helped him actually do the conquest. It's not like he flew into King's Landing like Superman and snapped the old king's neck. One of the ways you get other noble families to join your revolution is by not threatening to completely overturn dynastic succession – which they're relying on for their own legitimacy and eventually handing over their lands to their child – so it's helpful to have a plausible claim to the throne even if the fundamental basis for exerting authority is military power.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
People killing their kin hasn't been a very significant obstacle to inheritance, historically.

For instance: Boleslaw of Bohemia murdered St. Wenceslaus, only to gain his throne, and then declare him a martyr (that's what i would call chutzpah!)

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

JT Jag posted:

You know, that's a case of the author increasing the fictional stakes failing to appreciate the historical epidmics that inspired him.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

Sir Kodiak posted:

It also would have helped him actually do the conquest. It's not like he flew into King's Landing like Superman and snapped the old king's neck. One of the ways you get other noble families to join your revolution is by not threatening to completely overturn dynastic succession – which they're relying on for their own legitimacy and eventually handing over their lands to their child – so it's helpful to have a plausible claim to the throne even if the fundamental basis for exerting authority is military power.

Pretty much all the noble houses of Westeros are millennia older than the Targaryen presence there, and they actively follow a different system of inheritance. Their legitimacy was only circumstantially tied to the Iron Throne.

And, if protecting the establishment was a real motivation, would established lords (many, presumably, with extended families) not find it a very dangerous precedent to allow someone to kill his way through an entire line of succession?

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Robb and the Northmen (and Rivermen) were already forced into rebellion by Joffrey declaring them all traitors if they didn't show up in King's Landing and submit to him (and allow themselves to be hostages forever).

Joffrey was their rightful king, he had every right to expect Robb to bend the knee. As for holding them hostage (which I honestly don't remember Joffrey saying), Joffrey would've been quickly talked down from that by Tywin and Tyrion. Look at how the Prince of Dorne reacted when Oberyn died: his brother was killed, and that sucks, but he died legally, just like Ned, so he keeps his head on straight. The North wasn't forced into anything.

Bobo the Red fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 15, 2015

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Bobo the Red posted:

Joffrey was their rightful king
No he wasn't. He was a bastard born of incest.

Bobo the Red posted:

As for holding them hostage (which I honestly don't remember Joffrey saying), Joffrey would've been quickly talked down from that by Tywin and Tyrion.
Yeaaaah... just like he was talked out of cutting off Ned Stark's head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

tooterfish posted:

No he wasn't. He was a bastard born of incest.
Yeaaaah... just like he was talked out of cutting off Ned Stark's head.

Not according to Ned he wasn't :)

Also having someone executed can be a split second decision, holding a bunch of people hostage for the rest of their lives kinda can't be.

• Locked thread