Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I used to read Amiga Power as a kid despite not owning or knowing anyone who owned an Amiga, purely because they'd deconstruct the terrible industry they worked in and directly call out other publishers/magazines for being lazy or shilling for their mates or whatever. It sucked when I was finally able to play an Amiga only to discover that most of the games they raved about were terrible but them's the breaks, I suppose.

To be honest, most european/uk game developers were really bad at level design and difficulty balance, but they learned their chops on ZX Spectrum and C64, where hard-as-nails games were the norm. I think only Codemasters and Ultimate (which later become Rare) had the most accessible titles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

laserghost posted:

To be honest, most european/uk game developers were really bad at level design and difficulty balance, but they learned their chops on ZX Spectrum and C64, where hard-as-nails games were the norm. I think only Codemasters and Ultimate (which later become Rare) had the most accessible titles.

Well, just going hard as nails in the old fashioned way is mostly a substitute for "actually put content in". If you can stretch your three stage long game over multiple days by requiring the kids who buy it to memorize every last thing just to get by, it will appear much longer.

Same reason why most 80s arcade games were quite difficult, only there the actual reason behind it is each death is one step closer to a new coin put in.

(Well and for the euro game developers, often as not it was tough as hell because the only person who'd playtest it before release was the nerd who coded it and thus knew exactly how everything worked. :v:)

Nintendo Kid fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 14, 2015

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Colon Semicolon posted:

Take that back. take that loving back. that is the most god-awful, boring, corridor-laden experience anyone could possibly play for a modern shooter. it's horrendously dumb.

Oh I didn't know the other Bioshock games were different.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

RyokoTK posted:

Oh I didn't know the other Bioshock games were different.

That bit of hyperbole you quoted could be used to describe any game with Bioshock in the title, no worries.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only
All the Bioshocks are bad, but Bioshock 2 has literally no character or decent design sense to any of it's environments. most of the game takes place in what feels like boxes or tunnels. there's not a single good thing in that game. You can't look out in the watery areas to see something neat happening, or find radios or anything that makes the environments feel lived in. it's literally closed tunnels everywhere.

gently caress that game. I want my 5 dollars back.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Colon Semicolon posted:

All the Bioshocks are bad, but Bioshock 2 has literally no character or decent design sense to any of it's environments. most of the game takes place in what feels like boxes or tunnels. there's not a single good thing in that game.

I don't know, I had fun with that drill-dash attack.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The last few levels in Bioshock 2 are quite good IMO. I actually liked that game's quality curve of saving the good levels for last more than Bioshock 1 (or, really, SS2)'s quality curve.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!
Hate to break up the bioshock talk but a friend and I were just talking about an absolutely wonderful/awful game we got in a Target clearance bin like 20 years ago.

After a lot of back and forth, we remembered the name was THE FORTRESS OF DR RADIAKI and it featured some of the worst enemy designs, level designs, and downright bizarre story in shooter history.

Anyone else play this wonderous heap?

Here's a youtube link to help you jog your memory/trigger PTSD: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mq1l2bbfWI

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

bioshock 2 is the least up its own rear end and has the most fun powers/weapons, so it's the best.

it seems like ken levine's main thing is remaking system shock 2 over and over, but more pretentious and with worse gameplay each time.

Douk Douk
Mar 17, 2009

Take your pervert war elsewhere.
Bit late but I also liked Far Cry 2 more than most people because it introduced all of the elements that 3 and 4 pimped out beyond belief, like animal infighting and dynamic mission objectives. Also the gunplay felt more satisfying for some reason than any of the later ones, which went a long way.

Also the imfdb page is funny as gently caress.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

bioshock 2 is the least up its own rear end and has the most fun powers/weapons, so it's the best.

it seems like ken levine's main thing is remaking system shock 2 over and over, but more pretentious and with worse gameplay each time.

Ding ding ding!

Bioshock 2 had just as many open spaces and corridors as its predecessor (i.e. not many and too many), but the gameplay was much more refined and challenging and interesting.

It has just as many radios with dumb backstory too (too many) but a more straightforward plot that isn't 100% dumb buuuuuullshit like the first game, and unlike Bioshock 1 it doesn't completely fall off the goddamn rails two thirds in.

Also being able to simultaneously use a weapon and a plasmid made plasmids actually useful.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Also the hacking minigame being something you can do while on the move and not stopping time to play pipes was actually really fun and made taking over a turret mid-combat feel really rewarding.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

RyokoTK posted:

Bioshock 2 had just as many open spaces and corridors as its predecessor (i.e. not many and too many), but the gameplay was much more refined and challenging and interesting.

It has just as many radios with dumb backstory too (too many) but a more straightforward plot that isn't 100% dumb buuuuuullshit like the first game, and unlike Bioshock 1 it doesn't completely fall off the goddamn rails two thirds in.

All this, and it also has significantly better characters and makes much better use of Rapture-as-a-city as a setting than Bioshock 1.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Doesn't Bioshock 2 at least have a part where you go underwater? That was one of my biggest disappointments about the first game. They show you that whale swimming by early on and there's the initial cracking walkway but after that the game might as well have taken place on a moon base (the occasional ankle-deep water didn't really effect much). I was hoping to see more areas filling up with water, traverse through some completely flooded areas, wander through some weird underwater flora, and fight sharks or something.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Platypus Farm posted:

After a lot of back and forth, we remembered the name was THE FORTRESS OF DR RADIAKI and it featured some of the worst enemy designs, level designs, and downright bizarre story in shooter history.

Anyone else play this wonderous heap?

I played it's quasi-sequel, Nerves of Steel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a0umHBvl-Q

I think it's eveb worse than Dr. Radiaki

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

david_a posted:

Doesn't Bioshock 2 at least have a part where you go underwater? That was one of my biggest disappointments about the first game. They show you that whale swimming by early on and there's the initial cracking walkway but after that the game might as well have taken place on a moon base (the occasional ankle-deep water didn't really effect much). I was hoping to see more areas filling up with water, traverse through some completely flooded areas, wander through some weird underwater flora, and fight sharks or something.

It did have underwater segments, but I remember those being pretty much cinematics, no combat or anything. It was still drat pretty.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
The minigame was better. The plot was less up its own arse and its characters actually felt in harmony with it. Being a Big daddy felt powerful and the combat was much stronger for it. Yeah, Bioshock 2 was fun. Had a singular decent DLC too If I remember right.

Would I compare it to say... Dishonoured? Probably not. Would I recommend it to a friend? On a sale, sure. Its got alot of good going on.

The multiplayer was a waste of the setting, which was a shame. Nowadays it could have made for an amazing asymmetrical FPS, one dude a big daddy, hunted by a handful of splicers for his little sister.

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 14, 2015

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Thyrork posted:

Would I compare it to say... Dishonoured? Probably not. Would I recommend it to a friend? On a sale, sure. Its got alot of good going on.

poo poo, it's :20bux: on Steam. It's totally worth that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

david_a posted:

It did, but those parts were just walking simulator stuff. There wasn't any exploration except for like, maybe one audio log. I mean, I liked it, because it looked cool, but it was hardly a game-changer.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I like 2 as the best Far Cry, you could tell it was an expensive game to make and a big project, but it had this weirdly humble thing about it. Nothing pretentious, just an old shooty game in a great expansive world. All the old fashioned mechanics of the genre it did really well, solidly and safely, and the few unusual new features were kept to a minimum and well presented anyway.
3 and 4 went off the rails.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

In video game urban legends thread someone wrote quite an interesting post about mysterious ending in one of the games from Genesis's library, Chakan: Forever Man, and also noted that the sequel to this game later evolved into title from Soul Reaver/Legacy of Kain series - Blood Omen 2. So I dig up a little, and found another curious thing - Blood Omen 2's story was also influenced by an unreleased project from BO2's lead artist, Sirens, which looked like this:

The whole gallery and synopsis which points out the similarities between Chakan, Sirens and Blood Omen 2 is here: http://www.thelostworlds.net/BO2/Chakan_and_Sirens.html

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013
So I was reading some stuff on Wolfenstein wiki since I was curious if I missed something while playing the game and I found this

This is what nightmares are made of :stare:

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett

laserghost posted:

In video game urban legends thread someone wrote quite an interesting post about mysterious ending in one of the games from Genesis's library, Chakan: Forever Man, and also noted that the sequel to this game later evolved into title from Soul Reaver/Legacy of Kain series - Blood Omen 2. So I dig up a little, and found another curious thing - Blood Omen 2's story was also influenced by an unreleased project from BO2's lead artist, Sirens, which looked like this:

The whole gallery and synopsis which points out the similarities between Chakan, Sirens and Blood Omen 2 is here: http://www.thelostworlds.net/BO2/Chakan_and_Sirens.html

Whoa.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Nokiaman posted:

So I was reading some stuff on Wolfenstein wiki since I was curious if I missed something while playing the game and I found this

This is what nightmares are made of :stare:

Those are some hosed up pacman ghosts.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I never saw the Mac Wolf versions of the Pacman ghosts before. Weird.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I forgot to mention that the RPS list excluded the best single player shooter of the last 10 years, Call of Duty: Black Ops II.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

laserghost posted:

That looks like something I'd really like to play.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Colon Semicolon posted:

All the Bioshocks are bad, but Bioshock 2 has literally no character or decent design sense to any of it's environments. most of the game takes place in what feels like boxes or tunnels. there's not a single good thing in that game. You can't look out in the watery areas to see something neat happening, or find radios or anything that makes the environments feel lived in. it's literally closed tunnels everywhere.

gently caress that game. I want my 5 dollars back.
I was apparently feeling dumb 5 years ago fans bought the collectors edition. I don't own a turntable.

So Bethesda is selling Doom plush toys. Maybe I'll feel dumb and get the marine.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SelenicMartian posted:

Somebody needs to remake Cold Winter, update the graphics and make half of the cutscenes playable even as simple QTEs.
I didn't think I'd ever see anyone ever bring that game up, that game was pretty fun

Commander Keenan posted:

Listicle time! RPS has "the 50 best FPS ever made".

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/05/13/best-fps/

The list:

1 DOOM
2 Half-Life
3 Thief II: The Metal Age
4 S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl
5 Quake III Arena
6 Half-Life 2
7 Planetside 2
8 Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
9 Battlefield 1942
10 Far Cry 2
11 SWAT 4
12 BioShock 2
13 Action Quake 2
14 Battlefield: Bad Company 2
15 Mirror’s Edge
16 Arma 3
17 Crysis
18 Natural Selection 2
19 Wolfenstein: The New Order
20 Alien: Isolation
21 Left 4 Dead 2
22 Unreal Tournament 2004
23 Dishonored
24 Call of Duty 2
25 The Chronicles Of Riddick: Assault On Dark Athena
26 Rising Storm
27 Star Wars: Dark Forces
28 Star Wars Jedi Knight – Mysteries Of The Sith
29 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
30 Tribes Ascend
31 Halo: Combat Evolved
32 Aliens versus Predator
33 The Typing Of The Dead
34 The Operative: No One Lives Forever
35 Far Cry 3
36 Team Fortress 2
37 Quake
38 Descent
39 Bulletstorm
40 Metro 2033 Redux
41 Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six: Vegas 2
42 Rage
43 Tron 2.0
44 Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
45 Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter
46 The Darkness 2
47 Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory
48 Zeno Clash
49 F.E.A.R.
50 Eldritch

not a completely awful list overall(although I'm sure we could make a much better one), but Team Fortress 2 should be a lot higher on that list, it's definitely in the top 10 in my opinion(would kick out either Far Cry 2, or Planet Side 2 to fit it in there), also for The Darkness 2 chat, personally found the first game to be pretty garbage on a gameplay level, while 2 is incredibly fun, and had a pretty interesting variation on Co-Op

also does anyone know where one can find a copy of the PC version of the 2009 version of Wolfenstein for cheap?

and really I'd say both Bioshock 1 & 2 are pretty great games, and are generally worth playing(and Infinite isn't awful albeit inferior to the first two, but switching to a two gun system was an awful decision, as was making Vigors able to be used less often than Plasmids could be)

Reive
May 21, 2009

Bioshock 2 is awful garbage compared to the other 2 which are masterpieces, what the gently caress is wrong with you people.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Reive posted:

Bioshock 2 is awful garbage compared to the other 2 which are masterpieces, what the gently caress is wrong with you people.

yeah but not really

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Reive posted:

If you think Bioshock Infinite is a masterpiece you are insane.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Nintendo Kid posted:

If you think Bioshock Infinite is a masterpiece you are insane.

look buddy if you dont think a cutscene with 3 guns and some stuff about how racism is bad isnt art then you're a games hitler like ebert was

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Reive posted:

None of the games are masterpieces but Bioshock 2 has the best combat and best levels which are kind of important in a shooter.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Alain Post posted:

None of the games are masterpieces but Bioshock 2 has the best combat and best levels which are kind of important in a shooter.

Combat is the only thing it had going for it in any capacity, the levels were shite, especially compared to the other 2.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Fontaine Futuristics and both levels in Persephone are as good as anything in BS1.

BS:I has atrociously bad levels.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Alain Post posted:

Fontaine Futuristics and both levels in Persephone are as good as anything in BS1.

BS:I has atrociously bad levels.

Excuse you.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Bioshock Infinite is trash dude, you aren't gonna find a lot of traction in a thread dedicated to good FPSes.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

opinions like 'bioshock infinite is better than bioshock 2' exist

life is beautiful and strange

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I just recently finished Bioshock: Infinite. I enjoyed it, but I wouldn't call it like, game of the year (Shadow Warrior had far better gameplay and a surprisingly decent story). Of course, some day I plan to go and play the other two, but beyond the intro of Bioshock I wasn't terribly impressed. It's a massive step down from System Shock 2, which I adore.