Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I couldn't believe what terrible terrible trailers my theater attached to Mad Max. Shouldn't this have the action movies and blockbusters? The Fault in Our Stars sequel, the Bad Mom Rock Star Wedding, Jem and YouTube Holograms, on and on, schmaltz after schmaltz. Our entire audience groaning again and again. But finally, the lights dimmed, time to be relieved from that barrage with some dust and grime and... Acapella?

Pitch Perfect 2 played for about 10 minutes before they finally fixed it. But those lows only made the highs that much higher. And my God was this movie only highs. It's like the first scene was the climax to a great movie and they raised the stakes every 10 minutes from there, and it didn't waste my time with unnecessary exposition or shudder to a halt to world build once.

Plus the theater gave us all free tickets so I get to see it again this weekend for free. A+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The reasons I want to see this so super bad:

1. Was a huge fan of The Road Warrior.
2. Practical effects over CG make the stunts and props that much more impressive.
3. I know very little about cars or guns. But crazy bald albino dudes driving flame spewing old timey cars seems pretty awesome, and a blindfolded dude firing two MP5s is also fairly badass.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Just came back from the local premier.

I'm not entirely sure that George Miller is a sane man. No sane human being creates something at this level of insanity. The movie starts at an intensity of about 7 out of 10 and just ramps up from there.

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 15, 2015

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Initially my wife didn't want to see it, so I was going to go tomorrow morning before I go to work to see it, but now she wants to see it which means I'll have to wait until Sunday :( FML!

Golashes
Aug 8, 2006

team starslay3r!!!!!!
I can't believe that was a real movie and I didn't just hallucinate it.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
I am trying SO drat HARD to not watch the movie from the projection booth right now. I want to see it so bad, yet I want to actually sit in the auditorium and experience it, not just peer through a peephole with cooling fans buzzing all around me. Even though I've turned the booth monitor off, the SICKRAD BASS of engines and explosions is taunting me through the walls!

Strange to hear that lots of people are in empty theaters, we sold out almost two hours before the first show. Granted that's only 130 seats but it's a small town and theres 6 other--and much larger--screens running it along with us.

Of course we also had this out front:

Which is way more badass in person than the lovely phone pics I could sneak out to grab would have you think.

And all the staff dressed up for the occasion but compared to the V8 Interceptor replica nobody really cared. Fun times though!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

TerminalBlue posted:

I am trying SO drat HARD to not watch the movie from the projection booth right now. I want to see it so bad, yet I want to actually sit in the auditorium and experience it, not just peer through a peephole with cooling fans buzzing all around me. Even though I've turned the booth monitor off, the SICKRAD BASS of engines and explosions is taunting me through the walls!

Strange to hear that lots of people are in empty theaters, we sold out almost two hours before the first show. Granted that's only 130 seats but it's a small town and theres 6 other--and much larger--screens running it along with us.

Of course we also had this out front:

Which is way more badass in person than the lovely phone pics I could sneak out to grab would have you think.

And all the staff dressed up for the occasion but compared to the V8 Interceptor replica nobody really cared. Fun times though!

Did it have a button on the gearshift to activate the supercharger? VROOOM!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Oh man, could you imagine Vin Diesel being in a Mad Max movie?

FAST AND THE FURIOUS 8: MAXIMUM MAX
Vin Diesel in his supercharged Charger and Tom Hardy in his Pursuit Special doin' wheelies across the Australian Badlands!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

This movie is awesome. I thought the whole opening sequence (ending with the dust storm) was a hell of a way to start the movie, but then it NEVER STOPPED.

My theater was pretty sparse. The last two movies I saw there were Godzilla and Lucy close to release, and it was 90% full for those. Mad Max was maybe 40% full.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
That's good. I'm hoping this is one of those films where going opening night gets the 'good' seats, in that word of mouth actually builds up momentum and the theaters get more packed the second/third week the film comes out.

If it's less crowded than Avengers 2 I'm good.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Haven't seen it yet, but how "Australian" is it? I always loved the Aussieness of the series in the landscape and the people, but it seems now we have English and American leads, filmed in Africa... is there any identity or just general wasteland?

I was hoping to see more allusions to a bombed-out Sydney Harbour if possible....

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!

Panfilo posted:

Did it have a button on the gearshift to activate the supercharger? VROOOM!

You bet your booty.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Just got out of the theater, profoundly unimpressed. The movie is two hours of car chases wherein samey cars are blown up, watching samey Bad Guys be flung from the wreckages of said cars, while we watch samey waif-wifes and eventually samey old warrior women.

They had a chance with some interesting looking Head Bad Guys that don't get enough fleshing out, so their actions and deaths aren't interesting.

This movie is what happens if you make a cliff racer mod for Fallout, and the only other NPCs are Generic Bandits. Oh, and it has to be a foreign version of Fallout, because what little dialogue is in the film is usually unintelligible.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 15, 2015

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Theron is Suth-Efrican, not American.

I'm going to see this tomorrow night with some of my bandmates and I cannot loving wait.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

I'm glad I decided to go to the 7pm showing instead of waiting for tomorrow morning. What a good movie.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

The film does crazy things with diegetic/non-diegetic sound - it's as if the score is half revving engines and metal going clunk, and half a blaring horn section.

I feel like this isn't getting enough love because they did a lot of good things with this and sourcing some/most of the riffs from the guitar guy and holy poo poo that guitar guy and the drums. Good movie.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Overall very good.

The extremely lovely, fakey looking shot when the speaker truck hits the War Rig at the end was really bad though.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
^^^ 90% of the dialogue is from Australians. It feels exactly like Thunderdome with all that Aussie hootin and hollerin.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Okay, I think I can create a somewhat more coherent opinion on this absolute barrel of crazy.

For one, it has more plot than the second film and a way better presentation than the first and third; all of the cheese and children are dropped in favor of grit. Miller has embraced the stereotypes of the Mad Max-style apocalypse (crazy punk guys in leather with dyed mohawks driving hot rods that no human being would every think of and making suicidal leaps across vehicles in a car chase across the desert) and made a full blown movie out of a car chase. There's fairly little dialogue, but still more than Road Warrior.

The film literally starts with explosions and the chase through the caverns you saw in the trailer. It begins at a level of intensity that would be reserved for the climax of a horror film or thriller and just ratchets up from there until George Miller destroys an entire division's worth of vehicles. Literal Cirque du Soleil gymnasts use massive counterweighted and bending poles to leap onto vehicles with chainsaws and augers, elderly women shoot over a dozen thugs in the head with muskets, people are shot with explosive crossbow bolts and commit suicide with exploding spears. There's a gang whose entire method of combat is to leap dirtbikes and scratch-built motorcycles off of ramps in the canyon so they can hurl grenades down. Someone gets stabbed in the skull with a rifle cartridge.

And the use of practical effects just makes it all the more spectacular, while also making it a wonder that the movie didn't literally kill anybody.

In the end, Furiosa is the protagonist....but that's not a bad thing. Max Rockatansky is an old character, and even putting him in the young body of Tom Hardy (who actually sounds literally exactly like Mel Gibson at some points, to the point where I had to double check that it wasn't a dubbed in line) doesn't mean that he's suddenly become a modern action star. Instead, Furiosa seems poised to be the next hero of the Australian wasteland and Miller himself had already planned to make the next one all about her.

The MRAs have obviously clung to their fantasy of it being "disgusting feminist propaganda", but Charlize Theron said in an interview that Miller didn't set out to make a feminist film. What he does is simply not care about the gender of the heroes. Furiosa and the many other female characters in the film aren't treated any differently as heroes or strong characters because of their gender; there's no "I am a strong woman" speeches or any misogyny displayed by the villains beyond the existence of Joe's female slaves. Femininity is indeed a big part of it, as Joe has enslaved women entirely for purposes that only women can provide (such as breeding warriors), but they never make a big deal about women overcoming men or displaying misogynists only to have them shown what for to prove a point. They're strong characters because they're strong characters, not because George Miller specifically wanted to say "Women can beat up men."

quote:

Likewise, we had a very small crowd. I honestly have no idea why, especially with word of mouth playing such a big part.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

dreffen posted:

I'm glad I decided to go to the 7pm showing instead of waiting for tomorrow morning. What a good movie.

I feel like this isn't getting enough love because they did a lot of good things with this and sourcing some/most of the riffs from the guitar guy and holy poo poo that guitar guy and the drums. Good movie.

I really loved the score. Between this and It Follows it's been a good year for relentless ultra-modern stuff.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

Overall very good.

The extremely lovely, fakey looking shot when the speaker truck hits the War Rig at the end was really bad though.

That sequence was definitely the only time I noticed shoddy compositing.

E: and of course those MRA idiots didn't like the movie, Joe lost.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 15, 2015

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

MisterBibs posted:

Just got out of the theater, profoundly unimpressed. The movie is two hours of car chases wherein samey cars are blown up, watching samey Bad Guys be flung from the wreckages of said cars, while we watch samey waif-wifes and eventually samey old warrior women.

They had a chance with some interesting looking Head Bad Guys that don't get enough fleshing out, so their actions and deaths aren't interesting.

This movie is what happens if you make a cliff racer mod for Fallout, and the only other NPCs are Generic Bandits. Oh, and it has to be a foreign version of Fallout, because what little dialogue is in the film is usually unintelligible.

The gently caress is this post

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

dreffen posted:

The guitar guy is one of the best and craziest parts of the movie. Immortan Joe literally has a vehicle with drummers and an ear-shatteringly loud amplifier setup with a flamethrower electric guitar, for no reason other than to provide his own soundtrack for battle. When the guitar gets used as a weapon, they even work the sounds it makes when it smashes skulls into the soundtrack.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

I have to assume that was a 3d gimmick shot. It stood out to me as well.

thehomemaster
Jul 16, 2014

by Ralp

chitoryu12 posted:

And the use of practical effects just makes it all the more spectacular, while also making it a wonder that the movie didn't literally kill anybody.

So what's with all the people decrying how fake it looks?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Casimir Radon posted:

Overall very good.

I just edited my post where I said "the one obvious CGI shot at the end looks bad, but it's INSPIRED and I can't wait for someone to gif it."

It's like one of those Bloody Marys with a bunch of cheeseburgers and soft pretzels and fried chicken as garnish. It's pure decadence and indulgence for the sake of decadence and indulgence.

It was pure poetry.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

MisterBibs posted:

Please take this post to congress and make playing video games illegal.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

feedmyleg posted:

That sequence was definitely the only time I noticed shoddy compositing.

E: and of course those MRA idiots didn't like the movie, Joe lost.
Parts of the movie have a very post-processed look which I don't quite care for but it worked alright here. I would have preferred it had stuck with the Australian cheap and dangerous aesthetic, but still really enjoyed.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

thehomemaster posted:

Haven't seen the movie yet, but this happens a lot these days. I don't think people really understand what modern practical effects are capable of, especially when paired with CG for clean up and that extra oomph, and that digital filming just isn't going to look the same as the old 35mm.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 15, 2015

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Great movie, though it felt a little bit of a waste to cast Theron and Hardy and give them so little to do

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

thehomemaster posted:

They literally didn't see the movie or don't know that it was practical effects and assume that it "must have been fake" because they can't imagine doing that stuff for real? I knew before going in that it was 80-90% practical effects and real stunts and they had over 150 stuntmen in the credits. Even the dust storm scene noticeably includes some practical effects (like it was filmed with a wind machine and dust on the actors and actual driving in the desert that's augmented with CGI). It has 1500 VFX shots done by the post-production team, which is half that of Age of Ultron.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I'm a veteran of all four Transformers movies and in Michael Bay's combined 11 hours and one BILLION dollar budget there wasn't a single shot as awe-inspiring as when the fuel tanker exploded.

You can give WETA and ILM as much time and money as they want and they'll still never beat what you can do with some air pistons, a few mortars, and a shitload of kerosene.

squirrelcop
Aug 21, 2006

Maintain Right
OK...Here's my honest review:

Movie loving owned

However...

Max's dialogue was a little weird at times, sort of out of character in places. Imortan Joe singing was really weird. Bullet Farmer and People Eater characters were neat, a little bit over the top and silly, but awesome. Nux's car operating with three wheels kind of bothered me, as well as the boom-box truck keeping up with all of the nitro-boosted interceptors sort of irked me (super nit-picky, I know)

But the awesome:

Strung up guitar dude was freaking great. He was so happy when he got his guitar back. I wish we could have gotten a better look at him. I really liked how he is just suspended all the time, even using his guitar to rest his feet on. Furiosa switched between being insanely hot and downright fugly. I absolutely loved the fact that the war-boys were actual characters, and not just drone / wheel fodder. Nux was a great character. The competition / jealousy between him and Slit over Imortan Joe's "looking at Nux" was great. "He looked at me!" "No!...He was just scanning the horizon!" When Nux was crushed that he failed in front of Imortan Joe. They way they would do repairs while the war-rig was still moving.

Honestly, Max was really a supporting character in the whole thing. He seems to play the part of the story teller this time around, and it really seems more about Furiosa. Maybe I'm totally off-base, but Max looses his car right off, is Nux's "blood bag", basically helps Furiosa in her mission...She snipes the bullet farmer after Max misses. She even kills Imortan Joe & becomes the leader (maybe)...

I don't know...

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
I saw it in 3D, and that last shot was indeed a ridiculous 3D wacky stunt, but it was still kinda cool because it was the only SUPER OBNOXIOUS INYOURFACE 3D effect.

Twistershift
Feb 7, 2007

MisterBibs posted:

3/10. E for effort, but back to class.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

I'm a veteran of all four Transformers movies and in Michael Bay's combined 11 hours and one BILLION dollar budget there wasn't a single shot as awe-inspiring as when the fuel tanker exploded.

You can give WETA and ILM as much time and money as they want and they'll still never beat what you can do with some air pistons, a few mortars, and a shitload of kerosene.

The movie really cared about the presentation of the crashes. I can see why filming took so many years even with the move from Australia, because the movie is basically a massive action sequence broken up with quiet parts rather than the other way around. I think Tom Hardy's stunt double spent over a month filming just the stuff where Max is chained up as the blood bag, which should give you an idea of how long it took to film the opening chases.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I don't understand these glib responses. Did you guys find each chase scene significantly different than the other, and if so, how? Did any of the fertile wives seem saliently different than one another, and if so, how? Did you feel that Mask Guy, Gun Guy, and Metal Nose Guy were actual characters that distinguished themselves as different people?

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 15, 2015

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm just going to completely ignore MisterBibs and all of his replies because he is a wrong human being.

I really think that Miller wanted to set up Furiosa as the new protagonist for the sequel. He initially wanted to film this and her own movie back to back, but I think that the cost and risk involved kept him from jumping straight into it.

The fight between Furiosa and Max was really well done. It incorporated virtually everyone involved and had some really great sound design with the Glock involved.

ParanoidInc
Apr 27, 2013

You dun scuffed me for the last time you no-good Zayn boy!
Fun Shoe

MisterBibs posted:

I don't understand these glib responses. Did you guys find each chase scene significantly different than the other, and if so, how? Did any of the fertile wives seem saliently different than one another, and if so, how? Did you feel that Mask Guy, Gun Guy, and Metal Nose Guy were actual characters that distinguished themselves as different people?

this is a lot like saying that The Raid was just a bunch of boring fights that were all the same because it was just people punching and kicking

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

squirrelcop posted:

OK...Here's my honest review:

Movie loving owned

However...

[cut]

I don't know...

In Mad Max the old woman takes control and tries to save Max's wife/child. His vengeance is an accident and a dilemma. This is after Max runs away from the problem, leaving Fifi and the MFP to clean up.

In The Road Warrior Max is a diversion while the Gyro Captain, the feral kid, and the refinery settlers make all the big plays throughout the entire movie.

In Beyond Thunderdome Max is essentially a stuntman that results in the power players offing each other until Tina wins.

If Max was a Game of Thrones character, he'd be Brienne. The plot has always happened AROUND him. He has never, not once, ever, governed the plot.

Edit: Actually, Max suggesting they take the citadel is the absolute most proactive Max has ever been, to the point it's almost out of character.

The Anime Liker fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

MisterBibs posted:

Oh cool, a clumsy video game metaphor.

• Locked thread