Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Jippa posted:

That sounds awesome. I love it when games do stuff like that. So the whole map is in pyrovision constantly?
Not at all. It just has a pyrovision version. I've played through it with the same loadout (balloonicorn) several times in the past months (weeks, even) and didn't get the pyrosivion effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'm not sure, but whether or not there's a pyrovision version of a map is literally an on/off toggle in a text file in your steam folder. You can make any map have a pryovision version, even custom ones.

(note: most maps look extremely lovely with pyrovision on. see nucleus and cp_manor)

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

You're gonna have to try a little harder than THAT.
I guess the mtp.cfg file on your old computer was broken/old/modified or something because the one that came with my current TF2 install (30/04/2013) has arena, cp and koth Badlands all set to allow pyrovision and I've never edited it. Check the second post in this thread if you want to try forcing pyrovision on in any other maps, no guarantees it'll look anywhere near as good as the official maps featured in the default mtp.cfg file though.

pisshead
Oct 24, 2007

PDP-1 posted:

Anyone know why I can't join any Valve servers? They show up on the server list but I get a "Server is not responding" message whenever I try to join. I can join non-valve servers normally and pings to everything are <100ms.

Something to do with the port.

Northern_most
Mar 29, 2010
ya, wheres my 27015

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

Dunno whether to post this here or in TLC thread in the other subforum but I've recently put together a server to act as a replacement for Rutas. I just finished putting it together and I wanna stress it to see if everything goes alright.

And even if it doesn't get used as much, I can let it be used as a goon server for tf2center if people wanna use one. If people are interested,

I've asked Warpy to post an event in the lcs around 7:00 central time. The IP is 66.150.214.116:27020 .

GameboyHero fucked around with this message at 00:30 on May 13, 2015

Northern_most
Mar 29, 2010
Wow, I'm just now learning about rocket jumping out of shallow water. You can get some serious distance!

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

braden posted:

Wow, I'm just now learning about rocket jumping out of shallow water. You can get some serious distance!

What's shallow water? 2fort mid?

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

Knyteguy posted:

What's shallow water? 2fort mid?

Ya, right on the side of the pipes. Deep water wont let you jump out of it. If you time it right you can go from the water all the way to the battlements and surprise some dumass snipers.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.

JB50 posted:

Ya, right on the side of the pipes. Deep water wont let you jump out of it. If you time it right you can go from the water all the way to the battlements and surprise some dumass snipers.
Wrecking idiot Snipers on 2fort is a TF2 tradition. You should get some form of achievement for innovating a new way to do it.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I just found out you can no longer det sticks while taunting, and I'm loving pissed.

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

You're gonna have to try a little harder than THAT.

braden posted:

It's really good for cp_freight whenever that gets played too. Just hop on the pipe in either river and you can fly over mid easy.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Yeah that's the only place I can think of either. Is there any way to use it effectively on cp_well? I always went too high and took dumb fall damage so I stopped trying.

I mean, you can jump straight from the metal bridgeways to the mid battlements so there's no reason to jump from the pipe in the water to accomplish that.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah I always do that on well. If you rocket jump from the balc on mid and crouch you can skip across the water taking no damage.

Northern_most
Mar 29, 2010
I accidently "discovered" it on Thunder Mountain stage 2 blu spawn exit.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Can someone explain in detail how to activate scripts? I've tried to create a soldier.cfg engineer.cfg, autoexec.cfg and upend the scripts to config.cfg, and none of them actually activate. Am I reading the wrong guides, was there a recent change, is there something I'm missing entirely?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Xander77 posted:

Can someone explain in detail how to activate scripts? I've tried to create a soldier.cfg engineer.cfg, autoexec.cfg and upend the scripts to config.cfg, and none of them actually activate. Am I reading the wrong guides, was there a recent change, is there something I'm missing entirely?
Class name scripts execute when you switch to that class. Autoexec executes when the game loads. Config.cfg shouldn't really be touched.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

The Kins posted:

Class name scripts execute when you switch to that class. Autoexec executes when the game loads. Config.cfg shouldn't really be touched.
Do you think I tried to use scripts without loading the game and switching to the appropriate class?

In other news, thanks to the people who told me to check the second post of the thread. Turned off pyrovision on every map without any hassle, so thanks for that.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Xander77 posted:

You don't have to activate them unless you bound a key to them. They should just go when you join a server.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Peanut President posted:

You don't have to activate them unless you bound a key to them. They should just go when you join a server.

Yes. I have a key bound to a script. Pushing the button should activate the script - I should fast build a sentry, or rocket jump or whatever. Except it doesn't.

If someone could explain the whole process indepth, I guess that would help in terms of spotting the issue.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Post one of them that isn't working?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Stop being a dick about it. You asked how to activate them and people told you how the game executes scripts.

Make sure you're putting your poo poo in steam/steamapps/common not steam/steamapps/[your steam name]

Also don't gently caress with config.cfg, gently caress with autoexec.cfg

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Have two:
alias +rocketjump "+duck;+attack;+jump"
alias -rocketjump "-duck;-attack;-jump"
bind "F" "+rocketjump"

alias +fastbuildsentry "destroy 2 0;build 2 0;+attack;"
alias -fastbuildsentry "-attack;lastinv;"
bind "MOUSE3" +fastbuildsentry

also
bind MOUSE3 "destroy 2 0;build 2 0"

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Those first two are pretty much the same as mine, so that's not the issue.

On a personal note, I decided deleting the +attack/-attack from the sentry script was helpful. It's not hard to just press m1 after hitting another button.

I also did similar ones for dispensers and teles and bound all 4 to numpad 1-4.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

Stop being a dick about it. You asked how to activate them and people told you how the game executes scripts.
I actually think "hey, have you tried turning the game on" is the exact opposite of helpful here. It's presumably like a minor but non-obvious issue (something in the game definitions that stops it from loading cfg scripts?) rather than... that.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
You said "Can someone explain in detail how to activate scripts?" and he said "Class name scripts execute when you switch to that class." That's not 'did you try turning it on hurr' that's just explaining what happens, as per your request. He's saying 'no, the game does that on its own.'

edit: did you seriously check that you're editing the files under steamapps/common though, because for real, editing the ones in the old pre-steampipe subdirectory will ensure nothing loads.

Baron von Eevl fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 15, 2015

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Baron von Eevl posted:

edit: did you seriously check that you're editing the files under steamapps/common though, because for real, editing the ones in the old pre-steampipe subdirectory will ensure nothing loads.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\cfg

I also got there by properties-local files - browse local files, which is the simplest way, IMO.

Seriously, is there like a settings thing I'm missing?

Wheeze
Jul 31, 2007

No, they pretty much should just run. Try adding something like

echo "Running autoexec"

to the top of the file. Then when you run the game check the console. That'll tell you for sure if the scripts are actually running, or if there's some other issue.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Xander77 posted:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\cfg

I also got there by properties-local files - browse local files, which is the simplest way, IMO.

Seriously, is there like a settings thing I'm missing?

When you put them down in notepad and saved them as .cfg did you make sure that "filetype" was "all files" and not ".txt"? That's the only other hangup I can think of. Even if you named it "autoexec.cfg" if it's set to txt it'll be saved as ".cfg.txt"

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There is no setting to make TF2 ignore scripts. If they aren't working, either you saved them in the wrong spot, gave the files the wrong name, or there are errors in the file preventing them from being parsed.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Click here for the full 1218x690 image

At first I was like "platform is the config directory? Huh" and tried copying everything there, but... it didn't help.

Peanut President posted:

When you put them down in notepad and saved them as .cfg did you make sure that "filetype" was "all files" and not ".txt"? That's the only other hangup I can think of. Even if you named it "autoexec.cfg" if it's set to txt it'll be saved as ".cfg.txt"
YES. Thank you! That was it.

Now for a quick sentry build script that brings the build prompt up once you tap Mouse 3, but doesn't make it go away when you release it.

Edit - oh yeah, bind MOUSE3 "destroy 2 0;build 2 0"

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 16:05 on May 15, 2015

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Just delete the +attack/-attack from it. Here's mine.
code:
alias +fastbuildsentry "destroy 2 0;build 2 0;"
alias -fastbuildsentry "attack;lastinv;"
bind "ctrl" +fastbuildsentry

bind "kp_end" "destroy 2 0;build 2 0;"
bind "kp_downarrow" "destroy 0 0;build 0 0;"
bind "kp_pgdn" "destroy 1 0;build 1 0;"
bind "kp_leftarrow" "destroy 1 1;build 1 1"
I think I was trying to make it autobuild after I let go of ctrl, but that didn't work. I think ctrl and keypad1 both work the same way.

Really though it's super helpful to be able to just press 3 and have it plop down an entrance when you run out of spawn. I also have +attack bound to say some voice line and that covers up the 'building a sentry' thing so I guess it makes it a little less obvious to any enemies nearby?

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Aren't you always jumping and firing at the same time if you use a rocket jump script? A big part of jumping properly comes from using positioning in the explosion radius to change your launch angle/speed. If you always jump at the same time (if that's how these scripts works), you are restricting yourself to a very specific type of jump.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yeah but if dude is brand new to the game it could be a useful crutch to get them used to the concept of doing things while in the air. So there's some value in it, if it's the difference between "soldier that never ever rocket jumps" and "soldier that sometimes pops into the air." Just be open to deleting the script in a few weeks and learn how to jump properly.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OK what is up with this? You keep doing it.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Ah, didn't know they were new. If you are new to jumping, Xander, be sure to get used to holding crouch and using your strafe keys. Leave "W" and "S" alone unless you want to slow yourself down in the air to land somewhere specifically. Air strafing is one of those basic things you need to get used to. Otherwise, you'll be knocked out of the air constantly by people who are used to the game.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Dabir posted:

OK what is up with this? You keep doing it.

I would imagine it's a toxx. I knew a guy who had to post in rhyme for like 3 months.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

My 6 year old son has been rocket jumping for years and he dont need no stinking script.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
Anybody who got through the Half Life training map can rocket jump, just believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Peanut President posted:

I would imagine it's a toxx. I knew a guy who had to post in rhyme for like 3 months.

Close, mod challenge.

• Locked thread