Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

what happens when i cut a driverless car off and slam on the brakes so it hits me?

the murder drones get you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

what happens when i cut a driverless car off and slam on the brakes so it hits me? who writes me the check

this depends on whether the driverless car's ethics processor believes that hitting you will kill you and your passenger.

if yes, it swerves to kill the lone pedestrian.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

you will, because there are probably cameras and i'm pretty sure that intentionally causing an accident puts you at fault

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

pseudorandom name posted:

this depends on whether the driverless car's ethics processor believes that hitting you will kill you and your passenger.

sounds like a good reason to root your car

Last Chance fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 12, 2015

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug

pseudorandom name posted:

there will probably be a law saying that driverless cars are infallible and thus you're at fault if this happens

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

duTrieux. posted:

you will, because there are probably cameras and i'm pretty sure that intentionally causing an accident puts you at fault

rear ends are basically always the following car's fault because of following at a safe distance and all that, but good luck trying to trick smth with a xx ms reaction time

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

you'd probably need an accomplice to box it in

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

what happens when i cut a driverless car off and slam on the brakes so it hits me? who writes me the check

you trade insurance.nfo files on the bump and paypal the cost for damages from the sensors geez

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
if they invent driverless cars with no windows so people can jerk off in them I assure you driverless options will skyrocket

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010

ahmeni posted:

if they invent driverless cars with no windows so people can jerk off in them I assure you driverless options will skyrocket

lol if you don't do this already on the interstate

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MeruFM posted:

lol if you don't do this already with uber

ufarn
May 30, 2009

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

isn't hard breaking illegal in the us, or does your murderville constitution allow that kind of hijinks

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

ufarn posted:

isn't hard breaking illegal in the us, or does your murderville constitution allow that kind of hijinks

most of the US doesn't have vehicle inspections so yeah cars do occasionally break on the road in catastrophic fashion

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

hard braking is of course legal unless you're doing it to intentionally cause a wreck. good luck proving it without a dashcam+telemetry. (guess what driverless cars have)

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
hard braking wouldn't be an issue if you weren't following so close.

also automated braking systems are already a thing on 18 wheelers so I imagine the automated car would handle it fine.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

a scammer would change lines to cut you off then brake hard which gives you no time to adjust your following distance

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Shaggar posted:

hard braking wouldn't be an issue if you weren't following so close.

also automated braking systems are already a thing on 18 wheelers so I imagine the automated car would handle it fine.
speaking of, I wonder what distance SDCs will keep to the car ahead when their breaking distance is shorter. probably the same in order to not freak out the driver ahead

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

ufarn posted:

speaking of, I wonder what distance SDCs will keep to the car ahead when their breaking distance is shorter. probably the same in order to not freak out the driver ahead

the whole point is that you can cut this distance down significantly

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
do you really want to be at the mercy of the idiot who cheaped out and bought a sarnsung car

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

poty posted:

do you really want to be at the mercy of the idiot who cheaped out and bought a sarnsung car

versus the idiot himself? sure, why not?

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001

MeruFM posted:

lol if you don't do this already on the interstate

My seventh grade math teacher got fired for doing this.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

JumpinJackFlash posted:

social media is destroying our society

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

JumpinJackFlash posted:

my 7th grade english teacher left to run away with a graduating senior and also made us read both The Bible (all pages minus psalms) and also Anthem + The Fountainhead

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
did y'all read dong of solomon?

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Stringent posted:

lol, and you call programmers terrible

loll yea lets just design all roadway infrastructure for drivers who are blind drunk or just vanilla blind that'll save money on laws and cops all at the same time

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Smythe posted:

my 7th grade english teacher left to run away with a graduating senior and also made us read both The Bible (all pages minus psalms) and also Anthem + The Fountainhead

that explains a lot

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Smythe posted:

cool

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Smythe posted:

smythe were you that graduating senior?

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

FMguru posted:

smythe were you that graduating senior?

yea

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

NICE!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

i think my google account is stuck in a time warp or something. i never got prompted or automatically changed over to the tabbed gmail interface for example.

and today when using google login to sign into an online service, which i've done every week or so for over two years, i just now got forced to create a google+ account. wtf google?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
google man eric schmidt gave a good talk at the graduation ceremony today

for some reason the digital screen they use photographs very oddly

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Nintendo Kid posted:

eric schmidt is a garbage human. congrats on wasting time listening to him

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Nintendo Kid posted:

for some reason the digital screen they use photographs very oddly

leader-google-nwo.jpg

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

maybe consider image resize next time lol

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Progressive JPEG posted:

maybe consider image resize next time lol

sorry about your 1992 mac that can't handle an image over 1 megabyte without crashing.

anyway this happened immediately after google man talked
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmCMukUKgwY

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Nintendo Kid posted:

anyway this happened immediately after google man talked
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmCMukUKgwY

hellllll yeahhhhh babbbyyy!! helll yeahhh!!!! :pumps fists: we're entering a collapsing service-based enconomy six figures in debt when real wages havent risen since the 70s!!! :headbangs:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

graph posted:

hellllll yeahhhhh babbbyyy!! helll yeahhh!!!! :pumps fists: we're entering a collapsing service-based enconomy six figures in debt when real wages havent risen since the 70s!!! :headbangs:

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

lol if ur so old ur child is graduating from college

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
ban cremnob:toot:

• Locked thread