Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

The F35 was also in Battlefield 2 back in 2005.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

VodeAndreas posted:

The F35 was also in Battlefield 2 back in 2005.

If I remember correctly, it got comically spanked by the other jets too. Of course, skygods were completely untouchable by the players on the ground so the jerks in planes would just spend the round bombing people into oblivion.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Alkydere posted:

If I remember correctly, it got comically spanked by the other jets too. Of course, skygods were completely untouchable by the players on the ground so the jerks in planes would just spend the round bombing people into oblivion.

The reason why it got screwed in BF3 is the game control system interpreted you using braking as you wanting to switch to hover mode. Once you disabled that functionality it became on par with the other plane.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

etalian posted:

How will the F-35 be good at any role when the airframe is fundamentally flawed, plus having limited range and max payload.

If your source is Winslow Wheeler or Pierre Sprey for the "fundamentally flawed" bit, sorry, try again. Those are some smart guys at certain things and have done some good work but they've lost their goddamned minds regarding the F-35.

As for the limited range and max payload, I agree, but as has been pointed out that's true of a lot of other fighters.

I wasn't saying it was going to be the most bestest awesomest aircraft at everything (in fact my point was that there were some mission sets it's now tasked with that it won't be much good at), I just said it would be a pretty good strike fighter. Interestingly enough, the current gold standard for US strike fighters (the Viper, and even the Super Hornet maybe) are both limited range and max payload in a lot of mission sets. So that criticism is less F-35 specific and more directed at the general idea of a strike fighter.

Dead Reckoning posted:

it's not like it's an early Vought jet or something,)

I just wanted to let you know that I appreciated this.

"Not powered by a Westinghouse motor" would've also been an acceptable response.

gradenko_2000 posted:

For that matter, are there any recent attempts at simming the F-35?

Lockheed's M&S efforts to justify concurrency.

Wait, poo poo.

Dead Reckoning posted:

Since gun integration isn't until 2016, I'm gonna go with "no."

In the broader category of "expending munitions" though, yes.

Live (explosive) munitions, even!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Sorry to necro this thread, but does anyone have the chart that shows the requirements of :airquote: "fifth-generation" fighter aircraft; listing most of the modern planes discussed in this thread, and the stunning lack of checkboxes for the F35?
Namely, stealth, supercruise, radar capability, vector thrust, etc.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
it's ok, lockmart redefined the requirements for next generation aircraft from "f22" to "f35"

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mister Macys posted:

Sorry to necro this thread, but does anyone have the chart that shows the requirements of :airquote: "fifth-generation" fighter aircraft; listing most of the modern planes discussed in this thread, and the stunning lack of checkboxes for the F35?
Namely, stealth, supercruise, radar capability, vector thrust, etc.

Last I heard they put the emphasis on "sensor data fusion" and "networked combat information bubble".

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Cat Mattress posted:

Last I heard they put the emphasis on "sensor data fusion" and "networked combat information bubble".

So a monkey model export MiG with sensor and network pods bolted on is a 5th gen fighter in the same way as the f35, sounds about right.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

blowfish posted:

So a monkey model export MiG with sensor and network pods bolted on is a 5th gen fighter in the same way as the f35, sounds about right.

Indeed, glorious Russian/Soviet engineering is victorious once again!

Russian pov is that the "next gen" airplane is whatever airplane has a clear and decisive tactical and strategic advantadge over existing airplanes or over ground/sea based air defence in combat conditions, and that these advantadges are such that a new generation of antagonists or overwhelming quantity of existing antagonists have to be employed to defeat it.

Russia does tout PAK-FA as being such a plane (they are slowly learning advertizing from the Americans), but Russian brass sees it as a major improvement, not neccesarily a new generation. They are also watching the F35 like people elsewhere watch an ongoing trainwreck.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Mightypeon posted:

Indeed, glorious Russian/Soviet engineering is victorious once again!

Russian pov is that the "next gen" airplane is whatever airplane has a clear and decisive tactical and strategic advantadge over existing airplanes or over ground/sea based air defence in combat conditions, and that these advantadges are such that a new generation of antagonists or overwhelming quantity of existing antagonists have to be employed to defeat it.

Russia does tout PAK-FA as being such a plane (they are slowly learning advertizing from the Americans), but Russian brass sees it as a major improvement, not neccesarily a new generation. They are also watching the F35 like people elsewhere watch an ongoing trainwreck.

The PAK-FA is about the only acquisition program on the planet that the F-35 compares favorably to.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Jarmak posted:

The PAK-FA is about the only acquisition program on the planet that the F-35 compares favorably to.

Nah, the PAK-FA is a less expensive failure.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

blowfish posted:

Nah, the PAK-FA is a less expensive failure.

PAK-FA also isn't a real jet yet beyond prototype while at the very least the F35 is an actual produced jet that flys and drops bombs or whatever.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
:gas:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bip Roberts posted:

at the very least the F35 is an actual produced jet that flys and drops bombs or whatever.
Uhhhh excuse me???

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

gradenko_2000 posted:

Uhhhh excuse me???

Hard to tell who is joking ITT.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I wasn't.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Reddit gold-winner, and supposed Air Force colonel informed me that there have been zero issues with the F 35, and that the Osprey never had issues at all. I now believe him to be full of poo poo in all matters of life.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Bip Roberts posted:

PAK-FA also isn't a real jet yet beyond prototype while at the very least the F35 is an actual produced jet that flys and drops bombs or whatever.

The F-35 is still at the prototype stage, it's just they're building a lot of prototypes.

You get stuff like this:
:science: "the weapon bay on the F-35B is too small to accommodate for SDB2, will need to be redesigned."
:v: "writing the software for using SDB2 isn't planned before Block 420, just build hundreds of F-35B with the current small bay design, we'll redesign and retrofit them later."
:science: "shouldn't we, you know, measure twice, cut once? it's gonna be super-expensive to retrofit the weapon bay on hundreds of planes!"
:v: "that's the point!"

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Cat Mattress posted:

The F-35 is still at the prototype stage, it's just they're building a lot of prototypes.

You get stuff like this:
:science: "the weapon bay on the F-35B is too small to accommodate for SDB2, will need to be redesigned."
:v: "writing the software for using SDB2 isn't planned before Block 420, just build hundreds of F-35B with the current small bay design, we'll redesign and retrofit them later."
:science: "shouldn't we, you know, measure twice, cut once? it's gonna be super-expensive to retrofit the weapon bay on hundreds of planes!"

Yeah, the F-35 not going through the Prototype->Assembly Line->Upgrade life cycle like every other military program ever but instead going Assembly Line->Fix->Upgrade is easily the worst part of the program and also where most of the vast sums of money is being pissed down the drain.

After that I would say that trying to cram 3 different aircraft into 1 air frame is the second biggest issue where having 3 different air frames trying to use as many of the same components as possible would be much better and would actually save a ton of money.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
Best part of all is that all the countries that will get these F-35's will probably have to buy upgrade packs to get a functioning plane, just so they keep getting money for poo poo they should have fixed before they sold the things. :v:

Isn't that really the only way they can really gain back any of the cash that was pissed away by all the awful and extremely dumb planning?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

You get stuff like this:

Well if they don't have bombs at least they have guns!

Oh.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Koorisch posted:

Best part of all is that all the countries that will get these F-35's will probably have to buy upgrade packs to get a functioning plane, just so they keep getting money for poo poo they should have fixed before they sold the things. :v:

Isn't that really the only way they can really gain back any of the cash that was pissed away by all the awful and extremely dumb planning?

You know your military-industrial complex is completely out of control when it copies Electronic Arts' business model with day 1 plane patches and DLC.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

The PAK-FA will never be a real jet when India pulls out of that poo poo program this year or next. Because Russia sure as poo poo isn't going to be able to afford the development costs let alone build them in any quantity that matters

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Nonsense posted:

Reddit gold-winner, and supposed Air Force colonel informed me that there have been zero issues with the F 35, and that the Osprey never had issues at all. I now believe him to be full of poo poo in all matters of life.

The Osprey honestly hasn't had any out of the ordinary issues while it's been in service in Iraq and Afghanistan. Most of the reported problems are basically related to crew experience with new aircraft and people doing dumb poo poo like trying to land in a gully, at night, during a dust storm. :downs:

All in all it's been a really good and useful aircraft and I expect to see it replace most land transport choppers in the next decade or so.

ugh its Troika fucked around with this message at 06:02 on May 16, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Bolow posted:

The PAK-FA will never be a real jet when India pulls out of that poo poo program this year or next. Because Russia sure as poo poo isn't going to be able to afford the development costs let alone build them in any quantity that matters

That's why it's a less expensive failure: Russia can't afford to buy a fleet of DOA $100 200 300 million planes just to pretend they work.

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009

-Troika- posted:

The Osprey honestly hasn't had any out of the ordinary issues while it's been in service in Iraq and Afghanistan. Most of the reported problems are basically related to crew experience with new aircraft and people doing dumb poo poo like trying to land in a gully, at night, during a dust storm. :downs:

All in all it's been a really good and useful aircraft and I expect to see it replace most land transport choppers in the next decade or so.

I wonder how many of them will be shot down after they put those missile systems on them. :v:

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bolow posted:

I wonder if China will agree to fund the PAK if thw Russies buy some warships from China?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

whatever7 posted:

I wonder if China will agree to fund the PAK if thw Russies buy some warships from China?
I doubt it. Why would China want to buy an increasingly hostile and expansionist neighbor a new fighter better than anything the PLAAF can field?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Presumably to get a piece of that PAK themselves.

Or perhaps more relevant, whatever new engines they cook up.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Pimpmust posted:

Presumably to get a piece of that PAK themselves.

Or perhaps more relevant, whatever new engines they cook up.

Again, why would the Chinese want a part of that project? They have two of their own "fifth-gen" fighters under development. Whether or not the J-20 and J-31 turn out to be effective aircraft remains to be seen (and likely won't ever be seen), but going in with the Russians on the PAK-FA just doesn't make sense from their perspective. Chinese engines are basically on par with Russian offerings these days anyway, which isn't saying much; Russian engines are two or three generations behind Western engines as it is. The AL-31, Russia's best fighter engine, is roughly analogue to a midlife Pratt F100 or GE F110 in terms of technology...engines that were fielded in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

MrChips fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 16, 2015

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Speculation about the PAK-FA is silly anyway, the Russians are much more secretive about this kind of thing than the West. It would be hilarious if India switched to the Rafale, though

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The Chinese are just going to buy an engine from the Israelis once we gift them an F35.

Edit: Do the Russians grow monocrystaline superalloy turbine blades?

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Putin apologist- assume all uncited claims are from Russia Today or directly from FSB.

key phrases: Poor plucky little Russia, Spheres of influence, The West is Worse, they was asking for it.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I doubt it. Why would China want to buy an increasingly hostile and expansionist neighbor a new fighter better than anything the PLAAF can field?

You should really watch the Chinese coverage of the Ukrainian crisis.

Fawning:"Wow, Putin/Russia actually stands up to the west! Why doesnt our goverment does that?"

Or realist:"Yay, Russia is actually fighting the west and we didnt even have to bribe them to do that! This gives us at least an extra decade to build up before the US containment of us gets anywhere."

Or Business:"Yay, Russia is fighting the west. Means that they can do not much while we happily expand into their turf in Central Asia! Compared to the stupid westerners we wont snub them in order to feel good or whatever though."

Or strategic:"OK reunification ministery I hope you took extensive notes of the Crimean operation!"

Or cautious:"Well, we dont like color revolutions, and we dont like support for seperatists, and the Russians could, in theory, support seperatists in Xinjiang, if backed up by Indian support for seperatist in Tibet it could get mildly nasty. The odds of these events are so remote that it is perhaps something that could happen if the USA somehow manages to regime change us. Meanwhile estblishing a precedent that recently regime changed minor nations are fair game is something we can totally get behind."

As for expansionist Russia, Status Quo Ante Bellum in Ukraine was Ukraine being basically neutral. This status got changed, and not by Russia.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Mightypeon posted:

As for expansionist Russia, Status Quo Ante Bellum in Ukraine was Ukraine being basically neutral. This status got changed, and not by Russia.
drat those Euro-fascist Homo-nazis and their unholy desire to not do whatever Vladimir Putin tells them. Such crimes have only one punishment comrade.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mightypeon posted:

If "neutral" means "Russian-aligned, controlled by Russian interests, and focused on serving Russian purposes" then yes Ukraine was neutral.

Mightypeon
Oct 10, 2013

Cat Mattress posted:

If "neutral" means "Russian-aligned, controlled by Russian interests, and focused on serving Russian purposes" then yes Ukraine was neutral.

Nah, Yanuk was very much into "multi vectoring" .The guy spent considerable time in 2013 in China, made some pretty nice deals, including armaments, and that those deals arent very possible under Nato/Eu rule is yet another reason why China backs Russi., In addition, Yanuk aligned Oligarchs actually did corporate raiding on Russian and Russian aligned industrial interests in the South East.
Painting him as some docile vasall of Putin is complete Bullshit.
Yanuks goal was to maneuver Ukraine into a position were Russia was paying them handsomely for not doing something (like joining the EU etc.) and he achieved this.

He also, repeatedly, made clear that he is not closing the door to the EU, but that he is not willing to sign the association treaty at this time simply because it is a pretty bad offer.

Ukraine wont get to join the EU if they give the EU comission everything it wants, without insisting on a clear joining pathway in return.

The EEU with an Ukrainian joining would have basically been a joint Kazak/Ukraine/Belarus competition to scam Russia/Putin out of money.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Bip Roberts posted:

Edit: Do the Russians grow monocrystaline superalloy turbine blades?

Yes, although they struggled mightily for a long time to get it right. The NK-86A (an improved version of the engine that powered the Ilyushin IL-86 airliner) of the late 1980s was the first Soviet/Russian engine to use monocrystalline turbine blades. The AL-31 was designed to use them, but early versions were built with directionally-solidifed blades instead, and it wasn't until the AL-31FP version much later on (late 90s/early 2000s) that monocrystalline blades were used.

Incidentally, the Chinese WS-10A, a similar engine to the AL-31, used monocrystalline blades from the get-go.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I understand China's engine technology is still slightly behind Russia. As for the plane designs China can hack from US contractors themselves.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

whatever7 posted:

I understand China's engine technology is still slightly behind Russia. As for the plane designs China can hack from US contractors themselves.

problem: the US planes are poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

V. Illych L. posted:

problem: the US planes are poo poo

Much like your posting.

• Locked thread