Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Arrath posted:

The worst sound is the metallic ting ding....and then no sound of it hitting the ground. :smithicide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wKPTWXD2Z0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Arrath posted:

The worst sound is the metallic ting ding....and then no sound of it hitting the ground. :smithicide:

I lost two intake manifold bolts changing the manifold on my car yesterday. I think they went into the subframe, so I just grabbed spares off a junk manifold in the pile of broken subaru parts. :banjo:

This could explain that funny noise in the rear end...

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
ARP recommended torquing these in a three stage sequence. I read that part after I torqued it right to 80lbs from 0, and snapped one off in the block, ruining the head gasket in the process.

Extraction was however successful.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH

Ouch.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

I knew what this was without clicking on it.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

drat I wanna make a rainmaker out of a turbine and some bearings now.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

I love this, that sound is just beautiful.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

dana35.jpg

Also how to start a forest fire.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
It's a jeep thing, you wouldn't understand.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Sorry dude, as a caretaker of a B14 200SX I can both confirm its American (TN) manufacture and general shittiness.

Sub par parts, cut rate engineering and lazy styling combine to make a car that was forgettable.

The 2nd gen USDM Altima was assembled in TN, but using an engine (and possibly transmission) built in Mexico. I believe the 1st gen was built in glorious Nippon?

The engine was the only part that never gave me any issues, aside from broken timing chain guides (which required yanking the engine to fix, so I got rid of it instead of spending days fixing a daily driver worth $1500). Everything else on the car gave me constant issues.

My Saturd was also built in TN, but I've had only a couple of minor issues with it. So far it's been the most trouble free car I've owned (aside from loving rattles, but nowhere near as bad as either of my Civics), and I've owned nothing but Honda and Nissan (aside from a 1980 Ford F-150) before this. :confused:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:07 on May 14, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cakefool posted:

Yes I'm a terrible mechanic with terrible habits. The top of that engine is thoroughly flat though.

Thinking of getting one of these when I've moved, just to avoid exactly what's been mentioned:

I can speak from (non-automotive, but still heavy usage) experience, that cart is stout as hell.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
From the Schadenfreude thread.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

My A&P school had a couple J52s that the Navy donated when they retired the A-6. One had a big chunk of Vise-Grip hanging from a piece of safety wire, attached to the inlet cowling attachment holes. Apparently, the thing got rebuilt at NAS Jax, test run, pickled and containerized, and sent to the fleet. At some point post-test run, someone had laid a pair of Vise-Grips on the inlet lip, and forgotten about them, probably while they were sticking it in its can. Jostling during shipment and storage cause them to slide deeper into the engine, and they weren't discovered until the engine got yanked out of storage to be put on a jet...

...Where it promptly munched itself, and shot Vise-Grip/compressor blade chunks through the side of the compressor casing in three different places. Some enterprising soul secured the Vise-Grip chunks, and a laminated copy of the last page of the engine logs to the engine as a warning to the future. :v:

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Arrath posted:

My old Kia Sedona (shut up) had about a half-dozen 10mm sockets nesting somewhere in the front bumper. The easier way to replace the driver's side headlight bulb was to pull the assembly and every time, EVERY loving TIME, I would fumble finger a socket and send it off the the Land of Lost Sockets. There was a gap between the bumper cover and the bumper beam that was just big enough for them to disappear.

gently caress that vehicle, right in the ear.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.

Arrath posted:

I lost one of my 12mm sockets a while back. It went ping ping ping, no-floor-ping.
I found it in a small valley of the subframe, glued in with road slime and grease, a few months later. Maybe lost isn't the right word, maybe "temporarily stowed in an underengine location" is more accurate.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

I lost the ignition fuse to my old rover that way. It wouldn't run so I started checking fuses and dropped it into the engine bay. The fuse for the motorized seats was the same rating so I just used that one and never had movable seats for the rest of the time I owned it. Also there wasn't even anything wrong with it, the reason it wasn't starting was that I left it in neutral when I parked it the day before. :downs:

GrantC
Nov 1, 2011

Read the friggin rulebook before you build your "racecar", stupid ricer.
I blew up a thing...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMBGTbFyqB0

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I left a two foot long 3/8" extension and a filter socket under the hood of a customer's car at the quicklube once.

It came back a long time later, still nestled in the wiring and hoses alongside one inner fender.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kastein posted:

I left a two foot long 3/8" extension and a filter socket under the hood of a customer's car at the quicklube once.

It came back a long time later, still nestled in the wiring and hoses alongside one inner fender.

Ex-N602GC, wherever she is, still has my 5/16ths 12pt deep well socket, somewhere in the bottom of the #1 PACK bay... :argh:

...That bitch.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Not a car, but had two chiefs bumblefuck around trying to peel a gasket off a flange. Both of them blame the other one, but somehow it fell in the pipe.

It would've taken four or five hours to pull that section of pipe, so they said to leave it. It was also on the suction side of our Eddy pumps, so it was dangerous to leave it there.

Two years later a valve failed, pulled the valve and it had "failed" because that screwdriver had finally wormed its way inside it.

Piping was 6" (I think, may have been 8") poo poo piping, and the screwdriver was 18" long.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

MrYenko posted:

Ex-N602GC, wherever she is, still has my 5/16ths 12pt deep well socket, somewhere in the bottom of the #1 PACK bay... :argh:

...That bitch.

She's stored at Mariana right now, you should go get it :v:

I mean, it's not like she's gonna leave there in one piece after all.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrChips posted:

She's stored at Mariana right now, you should go get it :v:

I mean, it's not like she's gonna leave there in one piece after all.

gently caress that whore. I don't think she ever flew for me with three fully functional pneumatic systems. N607GC can get hosed right alongside. I hope I drink beer out of them, one day.

azazello
Dec 26, 2008

Slavvy posted:

Your next car should always be a honda, toyota, mazda or nissan. All other brands are garbage, and nissan is pushing the boundaries and might get booted out of the club if they aren't careful.

Toyota lost me forever with their sudden acceleration ECU bullshit. http://www.edn.com/design/automotive/4423428/Toyota-s-killer-firmware--Bad-design-and-its-consequences

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I can pretty much guarantee you that serious software bugs affecting safety are in no way unique to Toyota, this was just the first case that caught the mainstream media's attention.

smax
Nov 9, 2009

Alereon posted:

I can pretty much guarantee you that serious software bugs affecting safety are in no way unique to Toyota, this was just the first case that caught the mainstream media's attention.

The FAA directive for airlines to reboot their 787s is another pretty good (and recent) example.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Which would only be a problem if the plane was not turned off for 6+ months.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
From the funny pictures thread.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Alereon posted:

There's also the fact that the group behind that report was hired by the plaintiff in a suit against Toyota and only needed to create enough doubt for the purposes of a civil suit (the standard is much lower than criminal cases), where the joint effort from NASA and NHTSA did not find any way to cause more than basically a fast idle without tripping the failsafes.

As far as I know none of the cases where a cause has been definitively found were anything other than the floor mat thing or driver error.

It's funny how every single car with a mechanical throttle is vulnerable to the cable sticking, but even the potential of an electronic throttle having issues causes people to freak out. It'll be the same thing with automated cars, even if they have a fraction of the crash rate of human-operated vehicles every single time it happens is going to be a Big Deal to the media.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

wolrah posted:

There's also the fact that the group behind that report was hired by the plaintiff in a suit against Toyota and only needed to create enough doubt for the purposes of a civil suit (the standard is much lower than criminal cases), where the joint effort from NASA and NHTSA did not find any way to cause more than basically a fast idle without tripping the failsafes.

As far as I know none of the cases where a cause has been definitively found were anything other than the floor mat thing or driver error.

It's funny how every single car with a mechanical throttle is vulnerable to the cable sticking, but even the potential of an electronic throttle having issues causes people to freak out. It'll be the same thing with automated cars, even if they have a fraction of the crash rate of human-operated vehicles every single time it happens is going to be a Big Deal to the media.

And as usual, people use cars as appliances and have no idea how to handle anything out of their normal everyday experience. They could have put the drat thing in neutral and rolled to the side of the road with the engine racing.

Here's a throwout bearing from an EJxx series equipped Subaru, the parts guy at the dealer I buy my stuff at had it sitting on his desk:

It apparently drove into the shop making A Horrible Noise. All the ball bearings are still in there, just... slightly the worse for wear. They ended up selling him a lot of things, including a clutch fork, pressure plate, and I believe an input bearing retainer/TOB quill.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

I assume that's a 'Hair' Bag?:smugbert:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wolrah posted:

But what about hackers? Does my throttle pedal have a virus now?

This i just like the slightly-more-mechanically-inclined go-to boogeyman for electrical/sensor diagnosis: the "brain" is fried.

People are afraid and suspicious about things they don't understand, especially new ones.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Started the car, there was a loud pop and then what sounded like an exhaust leak. But exhaust leaks don't smell like gas...

Oh.

It was still in its bore, but not attached, it was just what was left of the hold-down on the coil keeping it in. Hopefully the head's not hosed -- I screwed it back in by hand and it seemed to stick, so a new plug will probably be okay without having to helicoil the head or whatever, right?

Edit: and the electrode is hammered down all the way, I don't know how that happened -- it was running fine until it shat the plug out, even the intermittent miss on cylinders 7 and 8 had stopped for like a week! That's #3, btw, so unrelated, aside from being one of the ones I haven't touched recently.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 15, 2015

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Delivery McGee posted:

It was still in its bore, but not attached, it was just what was left of the hold-down on the coil keeping it in. Hopefully the head's not hosed -- I screwed it back in by hand and it seemed to stick, so a new plug will probably be okay without having to helicoil the head or whatever, right?

Found your problem:

....and you'll have to be exceptionally lucky for this to have "just happened" and not need helicoiling.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Shoulda circled it in blue. That is the standard.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

http://www.fordproblems.com/trends/triton-engine/spark-plug-ejection.shtml

Late-nineties 4.6 Fords loving hate their own spark plugs. It's a common issue.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
I had to helicoil my 99 Cobra when it blew a spark plug like that. I still have the kit.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

kastein posted:

And as usual, people use cars as appliances and have no idea how to handle anything out of their normal everyday experience. They could have put the drat thing in neutral and rolled to the side of the road with the engine racing.

Here's a throwout bearing from an EJxx series equipped Subaru, the parts guy at the dealer I buy my stuff at had it sitting on his desk:

It apparently drove into the shop making A Horrible Noise. All the ball bearings are still in there, just... slightly the worse for wear. They ended up selling him a lot of things, including a clutch fork, pressure plate, and I believe an input bearing retainer/TOB quill.

Looks like it was ready to be... THROWN OUT.

YEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

*sorry*

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

I fail to see how that's funny, but I do now except someone to post actual pics of an actual cat(alytic convertor) stuck in someone's suspension.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Welcome to helicoil town, friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

The Orange Mage posted:

I fail to see how that's funny, but I do now except someone to post actual pics of an actual cat(alytic convertor) stuck in someone's suspension.
Cats are hilariously stupid, seems funny to me.