Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
There's a reason he's "bro" and not "dad."

the relationship was a sibling one, not a parental one.

And yeah this comic just escalates everything, like Dad going overboard with clowns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wookie Bouquet
Jan 27, 2013

Too tsundere to drive.
I've banned all discussion of homestuck from my room. My 3rd period is infested with homestuck fans, and I will stand for none of their headcanons.

WAR FOOT posted:

what the gently caress

I get enough poo poo that Socrative's default names are all Doctor Who references.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

drat yeah I was forgetting the Terezi/Gamzee deal. Well Karkat and Dave's intervention was funny at least!

Vriska's plan will end up with her soul, Calliope's and the other half of Gamzee being sucked and trapped into the Duttle, eventually creating Lord English's arch nemesis Professor Mayonaka.

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 16, 2015

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I for onw wonder how Jaspersprite's mission of "eat tuna and snuggle up next to Rose and Roxy" will dramatically save/destroy The Plan.

"eat tuna" means she is going to eviscerate HIC.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE
So uh. I just had a thought.

Vriska's plan will fail, simply because Lord English already knows it.

Approximately half of Lord English is floating right there.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Despite giving the empress some orders earlier, LE doesn't seem to be very hands-on with what goes on in this session.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Classtoise posted:

Lord English already being here has never been a thing that stopped happening, you know.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Classtoise posted:

What if Vriska knows that, too?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

jetz0r posted:

What if Vriska knows that, too?

Well then we're getting into Princess Bride territory.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Never go in against a Serket when double-death is on the line!!!!!!!!

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Classtoise posted:

I dunno, the Gamzee/Terezi relationship was hosed up in a not-at-all-funny way. It actually felt like a pretty good display of a real abusive relationship (which is why "Bro was abusive" strikes me as so laughable. Hussie did not pull punches with the "He treats me like poo poo and beats me and belittles me and I can't keep myself away" style of abusive relationships).

I took Bro vs Dave to be basically having an older brother. He's "play-fighting". Not trying to actively hurt or kill his little brother. This is just a crazy video game world where kids can wield swords like goddamn anime masters or whatever.

Yeah this is how I always took it. I mean, the guardians don't talk or have faces because parents are these unknowable, near mythic beings who are completely inscrutable in their goals or methods. To a kid, you run away from your dad and he catches up really quick, he must be super fast! He can lift such huge heavy things, he's super strong! The comic takes these and exaggerates them to a ludicrous degree, because this is a world where it's completely to be expected that a growing child be strong enough to lift a big heavy safe, or Bro has to struggle to feed baby Dave because he could flash-step before he could talk.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

WAR FOOT posted:

Never go in against a Serket when double-death is on the line!!!!!!!!

Vriska voice head canon accepted. Wallace Shawn and Gilbert Gottfried: Scourge Sisters :allears::hf::unsmigghh:

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Prison Warden posted:

Yeah this is how I always took it. I mean, the guardians don't talk or have faces because parents are these unknowable, near mythic beings who are completely inscrutable in their goals or methods. To a kid, you run away from your dad and he catches up really quick, he must be super fast! He can lift such huge heavy things, he's super strong! The comic takes these and exaggerates them to a ludicrous degree, because this is a world where it's completely to be expected that a growing child be strong enough to lift a big heavy safe, or Bro has to struggle to feed baby Dave because he could flash-step before he could talk.

I mean, there's a quote from Hussie a bit further up saying that it's intentionally kind of messed up and that Bro maybe should be treating his kid better. Given what we know about Dirk (he's super manipulative and emotionally messed up) and the path of Dave's character arc (learning that living up to the ideals his Bro instilled in him isn't actually the only thing that can give him value as a person), that seems pretty congruent with the rest of the narrative.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Classtoise posted:

She'll win by sheer luck, absorb his powers, and then go on to be the new final boss, calling back to that mysterious Green Sun Vriska music art from like 4 years ago.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I mean, when it happened it was funny. It still is funny! Homestuck is a comic that treats all kind of super dark subject matter with a tongue-in-cheek glibness. But that doesn't rob the subject matter of its meaning to the characters, who are meaningfully informed by it on an emotional level even if the comic skimmed over its presentation cheerily.

See also: Bec Noir trying on souvenirs after murdering Mom and Dad, another good example of an extremely hosed up thing parlayed into a funny joke that still had a meaningful emotional effect on the characters involved.

Captain Q
Nov 30, 2005

I CONJURE THIS INTREPID FANTASYSCAPE WITH TEARS BLED FROM THE WISDOM-WEARY EYES OF FIFTY THOUSAND IMAGINARY MAGICIANS

paranoid randroid posted:

e. "monstrous" was too strong a word for a comic where mobster pastiches harass a guy over the internet for not kissing a girl

:agreed:

Comedy can be a tool to both comment on stuff that's legitimately hosed up as hell, while also diminishing it to "take the power back," as it were, rather than to minimize the suffering of people in similar, real life situations which are devoid of humor or artistic license. Let's be real, Dave and bro have a weird relationship but in the context of the Homestuck world it's less "call child protective services" and more "man your bro is harsh."

Captain Q fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 16, 2015

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

So in a bit of slightly on-topic news, did anyone jump on the 4/13 sale? I did, and I got books 2 and 3 because sale. The only shipping option available was the $15 two-day shipping, which was basically almost the cost of the books. I jumped on it anyway, since the total was still less than the books by themselves.

Fast forward two weeks after the purchase, and I still don'r have books. I email What Pumpkin, saying that like, hey, I wouldn't mind knowing what's going on, but at the very least, refund the two-day shipping fee because it's been two weeks. No reply. I email again a couple of days later, no reply. So I filed a claim with Paypal for the stuff.

Three weeks later, I get a mass email from What Pumpkin saying stuff was backed up from the sale, sorry. And a message through Paypal with a tracking number for the stuff. I get the books on 5/13, a whole month later. Yay! I called up Paypal to update my claim, and let them know I still want to dispute the two-day shipping, since, a month, and no correspondence until after I made a claim. Dude was super cool, and was like, yeah, that's obviously disputable, so they've got ten days to respond, and if they don't then they forfeit the entire cost of the sale, but you should at least get your money back for the shipping.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

it's been a long time since i ordered anything from what pumpkin, or topataco for that manner, but i distinctly remember shipping costs being high and iffy

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Cavatica posted:

So in a bit of slightly on-topic news, did anyone jump on the 4/13 sale? I did, and I got books 2 and 3 because sale. The only shipping option available was the $15 two-day shipping, which was basically almost the cost of the books. I jumped on it anyway, since the total was still less than the books by themselves.

Fast forward two weeks after the purchase, and I still don'r have books. I email What Pumpkin, saying that like, hey, I wouldn't mind knowing what's going on, but at the very least, refund the two-day shipping fee because it's been two weeks. No reply. I email again a couple of days later, no reply. So I filed a claim with Paypal for the stuff.

Three weeks later, I get a mass email from What Pumpkin saying stuff was backed up from the sale, sorry. And a message through Paypal with a tracking number for the stuff. I get the books on 5/13, a whole month later. Yay! I called up Paypal to update my claim, and let them know I still want to dispute the two-day shipping, since, a month, and no correspondence until after I made a claim. Dude was super cool, and was like, yeah, that's obviously disputable, so they've got ten days to respond, and if they don't then they forfeit the entire cost of the sale, but you should at least get your money back for the shipping.
I got an e-mail a few days ago letting me know that my What Pumpkin order shipped... back in December? Maybe something's funny on their end.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(
I bought stuff on sale. Still haven't heard a peep. But I'm in Canada, so I'm kind of used to that. My Kickstarter reward took about 6 months to arrive.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Cavatica posted:

I haven't even been so lucky as to get the "We finally sent the poo poo you ordered a month ago" e-mail :(

Yeah, definitely gonna contact my bank to dispute the 2 day shipping charge, though. That's been my biggest sticking point, honestly. I don't care if I can't get my stuff right away, but I paid for 2 day shipping and did not get it. So...

Everything I've read has basically said "we got a lot of orders whoops" with no promises of anything to fix it, make it better, or make it up to customers. And, if the way they dodge my "So do I get my 10 bucks back for 2 day shipping" questions, not even attempting to make up to customers who paid more and got nothing for it.

Totally glad I bought a friend a birthday present through them. Now I feel like a lovely friend. "Happy Birthday 2 months ago, dude."

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I wonder how far in advance they set up the sale: they really underestimated the amount of people who would go for it at those prices.
Also the only homestuck merch I own is a vriska shirt. No one ever asks about it, thank god.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Was it 2 day shipping, or 2 day delivery? Because I know when I checked the FAQ it pointed out that delivery <> shipping (specifically, that just because the postal company will deliver it in that time, doesn't mean that the time doesn't take dispatching into account). I got a reply to my email at least, saying that they'd let me know when it shipped.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 16, 2015

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Cavatica posted:

Lucky, I still haven't got my books yet.

I paid through my credit card, not Paypal though, so I'd have to figure out how to call my bank to dispute charges.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Android Blues posted:

I mean, when it happened it was funny. It still is funny! Homestuck is a comic that treats all kind of super dark subject matter with a tongue-in-cheek glibness. But that doesn't rob the subject matter of its meaning to the characters, who are meaningfully informed by it on an emotional level even if the comic skimmed over its presentation cheerily.

See also: Bec Noir trying on souvenirs after murdering Mom and Dad, another good example of an extremely hosed up thing parlayed into a funny joke that still had a meaningful emotional effect on the characters involved.

The opening act of Homestuck is the death of seven billion people, so, yeah, it's kind of familiar with clownshoe tragedy.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Also, the bardcodpiece tragedy. It's worn by a clown.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Blackheart posted:

So, even the author's comment (I'm gonna assume it's real) jokes about it.

I would like to say that when it comes to detecting really obvious sarcasm you are simply the best there is.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

What does that even mean

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it means you're super good at detecting obvious sarcasm :buddy:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Uh, I do get that it's sarcasm though? That's why I say he's joking about it?

I'm starting to think I just didn't explain myself correctly back then, but the discussion that already happened about it kinda made it all clear.

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 00:05 on May 17, 2015

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Hussie posted:

and nothing about it shall evoke the gritty realities experienced every day by real life victims of abuse.

This is the sarcastic part, meaning the fight was supposed to be seen as abuse. Because it was, and not just a consequenceless anime fight.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

In the very same post I said I get what Hussie's commenting about, but are you saying the whole comment isn't done in a humorous manner (which is what I meant when I say he jokes about it), or that playing that scene you aren't meant to laugh at the situation, much like you're supposed to laugh at jack accessorizing after murdering the kids' parents?

People have already mentioned that even the death of everyone on earth is sort of skimmed over, and let's not even get into how troll society is expected to work. All I'm sayin' is that yeah, the theme is indeed evoked but much less seriously than, for example, Gamzee's relationship with Terezi (ironic since it's an alien juggalo hatelove romance), in my opinion.

e: if people reeeeally want to keep discussing this go ahead but I'd rather talk about favorite flash animations in the story since I've been watching the early ones and I had forgotten how cool some are.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Who What Now posted:

This is the sarcastic part, meaning the fight was supposed to be seen as abuse. Because it was, and not just a consequenceless anime fight.

You are bad at irony. He's not being sarcastic to give us the nod-wink that actually yes this scene is supposed to be read as abuse, he's acknowledging that the potential for those parallels to be drawn exists but the dry eyerolling delivery is a pretty clear indication that we're not supposed to actually do that.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The impression I got was that we were supposed to see it as abusive, as evidenced by the "let's watch a grown man beat up a child". But this is Hussie so who knows.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Honestly, it's probably both.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

What Pumpkin means well, but they obviously aren't very organized.

For instance, when I got shipped a HS #2 that was missing pages, they sent me a HS#1, told me to keep it, then sent me HS#2 for real,.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Hussie is the actual irony ninja and invites you to interpret as many layers of meaning and counter-meaning onto his statements as you see fit. The true master realizes the answer is both and neither, because it doesn't matter.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

edit: should read posts above me first

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 17, 2015

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Dolash posted:

Hussie is the actual irony ninja and invites you to interpret as many layers of meaning and counter-meaning onto his statements as you see fit. The true master realizes the answer is both and neither, because it doesn't matter.

If you meet Hussie on the road, kill him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Mimir posted:

If you meet Hussie on the road, kill him.

take his lips as a trophy

wear them, and soon you can become the homestuck