Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

FaustianQ posted:

I've done a thing

I tweaked a few of them, maybe unnecessarily, but hell.

Backup would be pretty cool IF IT loving WORKED :argh: As it is, it takes the exact same amount of 9mm bullets to kill things with or without the talent. So far as every time I've stopped to compare has gone with "How many bullets does it take to kill a clot/slasher/etc with or without this talent?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Back up would be fine if it was a Level 5 skill, as it is putting it up against a higher mag cap is a no-brainer.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

FaustianQ posted:

Back up would be fine if it was a Level 5 skill, as it is putting it up against a higher mag cap is a no-brainer.
Fix the skill so it actually works, move it to level 5 replacing night-vision so it's a choice between helping your team with visible stalkers or a pistol that's better at clearing trash. Don't know what would go next to bigger mags though.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Mar 31, 2022

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Compared to other classes I don't think commando getting mags + reload is unbalanced, and I think it's a good use of two perk points. IMO the best solution is coming up with two compelling alternatives as opposed to taking the easy way out and putting them at the same tier.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
It's going to be easier to define roles and appropiate perks, I think, once all the other perks are out. Especially when we don't know how the three new perks will play outside of some basic stuff.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Wouldn't it be grand if you got a bonus to your XP rate for leveling up perks? Get one perk to level 5 for, let's say, a 2% increase. Level 25 gets you 10% and so on.

Let's be honest, if you level a four perks all the way, the things you will learn doing the 5th will be about the perk nuances, not map placements or enemy behaviour.

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
tripwire now that mad max is out I need harpoon guns. good on you for the flamethrower

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Wouldn't it be grand if you got a bonus to your XP rate for leveling up perks? Get one perk to level 5 for, let's say, a 2% increase. Level 25 gets you 10% and so on.

Let's be honest, if you level a four perks all the way, the things you will learn doing the 5th will be about the perk nuances, not map placements or enemy behaviour.

this would be cool

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit

Gromit posted:

Ha, you made me go check to see how tiny my e-cock was. 11,967 stalker kills but only 14,577 "sniper headshot kills". Never really played Sharpshooter much.
KF1 is still my most played Steam game by a long shot with 675 hours. So long as we get the same variety of maps etc I imagine I'll get a ton more play out of this one yet.

That's bananas. I have 979 hours in kf1 but only 5023 stalkers killed. Commando was my least played class though. Got 16,774 headshots, but didn't play sharp too much, mostly support and pyro. Also the last year that I played heavily was all custom servers which don't count towards leveling.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

MadBimber posted:

tripwire now that mad max is out I need harpoon guns. good on you for the flamethrower

Well they did have the Harpoon Bomb gun in the first game, maybe it'll be one of Demolition's weapons(it or the Seeker Six Rocket Launcher would probably make for a good Starting weapon for the class, as they'd probably be easier to tweak for Wave 1 balance than if they made the M-79 the starting weapon for the class, assuming they don't decide to be boring and give it a rifle with an underslung launcher as the starting weapon, or come up with something completely new instead), also I'm not the only one who wouldn't be surprised if they made Pipe Bombs into Demolition's special grenade type right?

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
Predicting demo starting weapon to be a select fire rifle with a grenade launcher attached to it with about 5 nades.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Give the demo a Horzine tech SMG that's like the needler from halo but with slightly larger splash aoe.

Ramsus
Sep 14, 2002

by Hand Knit
give the demo an atomic bomb

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Two of the demo weapons will probably be the old single shot and semi-auto grenade launchers. As for the other two, who knows? Even if they only draw inspiration from real weapons there are a shitload of options.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ramsus posted:

Predicting demo starting weapon to be a select fire rifle with a grenade launcher attached to it with about 5 nades.
I really hope that's not the route they go, cause that would be incredibly boring, part of the reason I suggested maybe using the Seeker Six as the starter gun is that while it's strong enough to be good for Trash cleaning(in KF1 it kills Clots in 1-2 shots, and Gorefasts in 2-3 normally), individual rockets wouldn't be strong enough to kill tougher enemies easily, and while you could fire off a full six shot barrage to blow up a Siren or Husk quickly(or to knock a Scrake or Fleshpound on it's rear end so you can run away from it as it has a ton of knockback built into it) that's also using an entire clip on one enemy so you have to be careful with it even if it has a large ammo capacity for an explosive weapon

Propaganda Hour posted:

Give the demo a Horzine tech SMG that's like the needler from halo but with slightly larger splash aoe.
That could be neat

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Ramsus posted:

give the demo an atomic bomb

Abandoned Toaster
Jun 4, 2008
So apparently those bugs about skill increases carrying over when you change perks (health, armor, magazine size) also count for carry weight.

I mean, I'm fine with being able to carry an AA12 and Medic AR (17 weight) as Medic. Serious.

Edit: And having 150 health. Please don't patch this, Tripwire. TIA.

Abandoned Toaster fucked around with this message at 11:40 on May 16, 2015

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Insert name here posted:

Fix the skill so it actually works, move it to level 5 replacing night-vision so it's a choice between helping your team with visible stalkers or a pistol that's better at clearing trash. Don't know what would go next to bigger mags though.

Exactly what I was thinking, although I do like the idea of back up on SS more.

splifyphus posted:

These are all great, and much more fun than what commando currently gets.

200% dmg on the laser sight is a probably bit much though - 5 other players with double damage would trivialize the game. Maybe somewhere in the range of a 10-20% increase over base?

Yeah, even 50% would be a bit much, but I wanted enough to incentivize people to pick it and thought at the time that for the effort 200% sounded good. Then I realized 200% is three full mags of whatever, so DT and an AA12 trivializes bosses, let alone Scrakes and FPs. Maybe 25% would work? Could be balanced by a much faster battery drain compared to the flashlight.

Psion posted:

Compared to other classes I don't think commando getting mags + reload is unbalanced, and I think it's a good use of two perk points. IMO the best solution is coming up with two compelling alternatives as opposed to taking the easy way out and putting them at the same tier.

Do you think another skill I've suggested is compelling enough? If faced between more ammo and the ability to slow Zeds, would that be an actual choice?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Honestly, I think the Commando is fine, apart from night vision being friggin' useless in the current maps. It is just that the class' main advantage is flexibility, given how their damage bonus applies to all weapons and a lot of their perk talents affect more than their weapon types, it is just that we don't have that many choices for them to go off-perk with as the case may be./

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
re: updates, is it just me or are there new music tracks in this game now?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Shine posted:

This game is cool, but the leveling mechanic seems pointless beyond suckering grinding hours out of players.

If X class is supposed to fulfill Y role, then just give that class all its perk selections and class weapon bonuses from the start so players can experience that role as intended and the game can be based entirely on the precision, awareness, money management and teamwork that happens within the game itself. It's not like this is an ARPG or something where the entire point is to raise stats and get loot and min-max builds and the game is principally designed around making those things fun. In a game like this, it's just tacked-on and annoying.

I got into KF1 really late in its life, and by that time all the grind mechanic did was make it so I'd either have to drag my friends down to a difficulty that was cake for their maxed-out characters, or they'd have to carry me on their preferred difficulty because my character simply didn't have the DPS/survivability/perks to match their productivity, all else being equal. How does that improve the game? Mass Effect 3 co-op had the same problem. It was great fun, but that was despite the horrible weapon upgrade grind. By the time I finally got the game at my brother's urging, he'd unlocked loads of weapon upgrades that made anything short of the highest difficulty way too easy for him, but my character couldn't do much on those high difficulties, so one of us was forced to be bored unless I first spent dozens (or hundreds) of hours grinding out Spectre weapons and enough upgrades to make them useful.

On the flipside, one of the best things about Left 4 Dead is that I could get a friend into it tomorrow and they'd be playing the same game I'm playing, not having to grind the metagame for hours to unlock the "real" game. They could hop into higher difficulties as soon as they felt ready based on their skill and familiarity with the game, and wouldn't be arbitrarily hampered by having unlocked only 5% bonus shotgun damage against Boomers.

How does class grinding make Killing Floor a better experience for the players?

There is not a lot to this game if you are not grinding, especially right now. We will probably see the return of servers where they just max out your level, if we have not already.

Personally I am hoping the thing they really patch is the stupid boss, who turns the game into Kiting Floor because he has ridiculous AOE and bullet sponging. If every boss is this un-fun it's going to be ugly.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

ZearothK posted:

Honestly, I think the Commando is fine, apart from night vision being friggin' useless in the current maps. It is just that the class' main advantage is flexibility, given how their damage bonus applies to all weapons and a lot of their perk talents affect more than their weapon types, it is just that we don't have that many choices for them to go off-perk with as the case may be./

Even if half the map was completely without light, Nightvision would still feel like a trap choice because of how fast it drains your battery. It doesn't feel like an upgrade when you have LESS time you can see stuff in the dark, even if it allows you to do so with guns that lack flashlights.

I still stand by Flares being a cooler commando idea than nightvision.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Section Z posted:

Even if half the map was completely without light, Nightvision would still feel like a trap choice because of how fast it drains your battery. It doesn't feel like an upgrade when you have LESS time you can see stuff in the dark, even if it allows you to do so with guns that lack flashlights.

I still stand by Flares being a cooler commando idea than nightvision.

Firebug flares igniting while in a clot's skull to create a light source would be metal as gently caress

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Flares for Fireb-

Ruggington posted:

Firebug flares igniting while in a clot's skull to create a light source would be metal as gently caress

Dammit, was going to suggest this, except it would not have been metal as gently caress.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

FaustianQ posted:

Except it would not have been metal as gently caress.

How can it not be when you're using the burning corpses of your enemies as a light source to kill more of your enemies?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

I still can't join servers with the console using the prescribed input method, what the heck :(

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Theta Zero posted:

How can it not be when you're using the burning corpses of your enemies as a light source to kill more of your enemies?

I was going to just suggest flares, maybe that could catch the enemy on fire. Not literally Clots into flare lanterns.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

There is not a lot to this game if you are not grinding, especially right now. We will probably see the return of servers where they just max out your level, if we have not already.

Personally I am hoping the thing they really patch is the stupid boss, who turns the game into Kiting Floor because he has ridiculous AOE and bullet sponging. If every boss is this un-fun it's going to be ugly.

Well I'd suggest not kiting him and then it's not Kiting Floor. Seriously - keeping him in one area and circling around him is better than kiting across the map.

We can routinely shred Hans on suicidal now and it's all because kiting in a line is bad, staying in a room or area with central cover is ideal (garage on Outpost, blood room on Biotics, uh, downstairs near the subway on Paris) - basically you can always break LOS without moving too far so everyone can support everyone else and your AA-12 guys can just wreck him for each color change/health drain.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

Is it even possible to kill Hans prior to his regen stage?

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

i just empty all my AA12 ammo in his face and then tank him with a machete so everyone else can shoot him and i highly recommend it

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

FaustianQ posted:

Yes but he takes so much reduced damage so he won't immediately die so it's better to just wait anyways.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Antares posted:

i just empty all my AA12 ammo in his face and then tank him with a machete so everyone else can shoot him and i highly recommend it

There's a zerker on a server I regularly play as who can parry like a motherfucker and I never get tired of watching him keep Hans or a Scrake/Fleshpound totally ineffectual by just parrying them forever

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Theta Zero posted:

Yes but he takes so much reduced damage so he won't immediately die so it's better to just wait anyways.

Yeah, as soon as he changes color his resist kicks in, so stop firing and get one of your not-medic people to run up in his face so he grabs and drains you. Everyone heals the person being drained, then as soon as the drain is over run and start shooting again. Repeat until the third drain and then grenade the gently caress out of him at the end of the drain, then continue to shoot him to death.

it helps if everyone has a medic pistol.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

FaustianQ posted:

After a certain amount of damage he goes into hunt mode. None of the classes right now really have the spike damage to kill him before he hits that point. After he goes into hunt mode he gets reduced damage until he grabs someone. Whether you let him go through all three stages or refuse to let him catch someone in hunt mode it boils down to the same amount of damage to kill him so unless you're playing with an oraginzed team all on mics its easy to just let him get someone and heal them

Drajiin
Jan 16, 2012
I don't know if anyone has posted this or not but I just figured out you can enable corpse dismemberment if you set bAllowRagdollAndGoreOnDeadBodies to True in Documents\My Games\KillingFloor2\KFGame\Config\KFGame.ini. I haven't noticed a significant performance hit so far.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Pretty sure that is on by default. You can shoot and melee corpses and grenades in corpse piles. Both cause limbs and body parts to detach and go flying.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
I cut off a dead Gore's head just tonight and never touched that entry in the ini file, was it set to false for you ?

Drajiin
Jan 16, 2012
Yeah it was false for me. Must be because I have all the graphical settings on low because I'm playing on a toaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
Was playing last night on a server running custom maps and noticed something I hadn't seen before. On the Hans fight I watched as on several occasions he would be in mid drain on someone and then something would cause him to stop and then look for someone else to drain. It was the oddest thing.