Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Since we're on the topic of documentaries, I'm in the market for one that features a central figure at least as preposterous as Billy Mitchell. Who you got?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Jenny Angel posted:

Since we're on the topic of documentaries, I'm in the market for one that features a central figure at least as preposterous as Billy Mitchell. Who you got?

He's not quite Mitchell-tier, but the middle manager by day, feudal lord by night antagonist in Darkon is pretty fantastic.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Grizzly Man is up there. It's not at all like King of Kong obv. but the dude is nuts.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
American Movie, without a doubt. Not talking about Borchard, really, but the other characters, especially Mike Schank.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jenny Angel posted:

Tabloid.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

fenix down posted:

How is The Homesman?

Not bad. The performances are good and it's nice to look at, some might find it slow. There's a gun on the poster but it's a bleak and mostly quiet drama.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Imposter is about at least one--and actually features about three other--eccentric weirdos.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hell House is also amazing for being pretty sympathetic to a town full of people completely out of step with the rest of the world.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Jack Gladney posted:

Hell House is also amazing for being pretty sympathetic to a town full of people completely out of step with the rest of the world.

Is Hell House still up? If so, watch Hell House.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

American Movie, without a doubt. Not talking about Borchard, really, but the other characters, especially Mike Schank.

drat, you took mine. But also Crumb.

Edit: forgot which thread I was in. It's at least $.99 on iTunes.

morestuff fucked around with this message at 05:28 on May 13, 2015

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

morestuff posted:

I'd say Crumb is worth the buck to see. The rest of his family are all much more interesting than he is, and he's a pretty weird dude.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015

Human Tornada posted:

Not bad. The performances are good and it's nice to look at, some might find it slow. There's a gun on the poster but it's a bleak and mostly quiet drama.

I thought it was one of the most interesting films I caught last year, a very peculiar take on the Western and dangerous enough that it mostly got ignored. It has some issues but I'm really glad I caught it.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Samfucius posted:

Is Hell House still up? If so, watch Hell House.

Watch Hell House.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

morestuff posted:

Yeah, Charles especially.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, Charles especially.

"How perfectly god damned delightful it all is to be sure."

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

American Movie is fantastic. I actually thought it was a Christopher Guest-esque mockumentary the first time I watched it. Didn't realize till later that it was all real.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

coyo7e posted:

Happy birthday, Mister President!

precision posted:

Honestly the "Like a Virgin" part was more unnerving, but also hilarious.

I think that was in the regular version shown in the US/First run of VHS in the US. The international version made Matilda's romantic feelings towards Leon even more obvious.

Then again its been forever since I've seen the two movies so I could be mistaken.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Has anyone here used Fandor much at all? I was looking for some random movie and found it on there. Went through the trial and it's not bad, has a lot of shorts, as well as a ton of foreign films and more "obscure" stuff. Quality's in general hit or miss though with the playback, but I think it may have my favorite interface for searches and other things.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

wa27 posted:

American Movie is fantastic. I actually thought it was a Christopher Guest-esque mockumentary the first time I watched it. Didn't realize till later that it was all real.

Yeah, my wife introduced me to it and I thought the same thing until the last few scenes of the movie when she realized I thought it was fake and corrected me. The drunken grandpa bathtub scene went from hilarious to very, very depressing.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The Homesman is up on Netflix. It's a revisionist Western about a spinster woman (Hilary Swank) who takes on the task of ferrying 3 insane women back east. Along the way she rescues Tommy Lee Jones and makes him ride shotgun. The ending was on the level of Let The Right One In for being unsure if I'm heartwarmed, or crushed.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015

coyo7e posted:

The Homesman is up on Netflix. It's a revisionist Western about a spinster woman (Hilary Swank) who takes on the task of ferrying 3 insane women back east. Along the way she rescues Tommy Lee Jones and makes him ride shotgun. The ending was on the level of Let The Right One In for being unsure if I'm heartwarmed, or crushed.

Well SPOILERS the fact that he kicks the tombstone off the boat and keeps dancing doesn't bode well for any lesson having been learnt. I think crushed is the right answer. It is a very interesting movie though, very brave from Jones who has no business being this compelling a director. He's basically inverse-Eastwood at this point.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I was just browsing Netflix, and what possible reason would anyone have to watch Goodbye to Language on there? Isn't the entire point of thar movie the 3d gimmicks?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Loki_XLII posted:

I was just browsing Netflix, and what possible reason would anyone have to watch Goodbye to Language on there? Isn't the entire point of thar movie the 3d gimmicks?

A significant amount of the movie is actually in 3D, and even many of the 3D parts aren't executed in such a way as to, like, create a sense of immersion or fill you with awe or anything. The actual gimmick of the film is that the 3D is just an option, one way of looking at an image that isn't necessarily 'the right way.'

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anybody got an opinion on Residue?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Viginti posted:

Well SPOILERS the fact that he kicks the tombstone off the boat and keeps dancing doesn't bode well for any lesson having been learnt. I think crushed is the right answer. It is a very interesting movie though, very brave from Jones who has no business being this compelling a director. He's basically inverse-Eastwood at this point.
Maybe you should read up on westerns and their relationship to symbolism. :rolleyes:

This movie was nothing if not reinforcing Unforgiven's place as the tombstone for pre-Revisionist westerns, though. I can't say that there was anything "inverse-Eastwood" about it. Jones is simply not bringing the same kind of cold killer that Eastwood can - Eastwood would never do a hat dance in front of a crowd, or actually look like he doesn't want to shoot someone. Eastwood's "I don't want to kill you" face is the same as most peoples' "gently caress I stepped in gum on a hot day" face.

The reason that the ending is potentially heartwarming is that Jones is the symbol of the Old West, and even though he was temporarily turned civilized and good at heart, he has not been tamed and he is returning to where he belongs, all the while shouting threats and insults at the rest of civilization to stay on the East side of the riverbank. The fact that he'll probably slaughter the ferrymen actually cements this, as without them, he's essentially trying to burn the bridge so nobody can follow and sully "his" West. There's not even an insinuation that he'll be going back to take care of the farm now that the woman is dead, either. He's truly free again. The motel was simply the ending being alluded to (with a helping of biblical fables as well.)

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 16, 2015

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The Hybrid is pretty much Asylum levels of low budget, but manages to be fairly entertaining if a little uneven.

Typical merc unit travels to secret Chechen base, infiltrates it, finds weird poo poo and DNA experiments.

Also the lead protagonist keeps pulling neatly cut sandwiches out of his drat flak vest, then chews thoughtfully on them, all the way through and including the end of the movie.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:45 on May 16, 2015

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Last Waltz is back on Netflix, this time with working audio. :toot:

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb
Only half off-topic: does anyone know a working US proxy that I can use with netflix from europe? The ones I tried hald the tiny flaw that the netflix-player was not working and showed only black...

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Nektu posted:

Only half off-topic: does anyone know a working US proxy that I can use with netflix from europe? The ones I tried hald the tiny flaw that the netflix-player was not working and showed only black...

American using Euro poo poo, but Hola unblocker is how I access your country's stuff. It should work for you.

Green Crayons
Apr 2, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

Anybody got an opinion on Residue?

I watched the first episode tonight, actually.

It was okay. Some potential, but I'm not expecting anything mind blowing.

Will stick it out until at least Episode 3.

-----

On an unrelated note, for all the other horror movie junkies out there, the wife and I watched Honeymoon (2014) last night and I was very pleasantly surprised at how good and fresh it was.

It was not what I thought it was going to be about (the movie ISN'T about a backwoods serial killer!).

What the horror stemmed from was actually really well done (this gives away the "genre" of the horror, which is firmly revealed by the second half: it's aliens! oh god, someone did aliens in a not horrible way! mostly by not focusing on the aliens at all!)

Also, pretty solid acting from the two leads, and apart from one particular "cutesy" trait they pulled off ("bzzz bzzz"), I really liked them and rooted for them.

Also also, some intense emotional/semi-body horror scenes in the second half.

It's some good poo poo, is what I'm saying.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Any opinion about Turn on Netflix? Watched the 1st 2 episodes and it seems decent so far. The story is interesting enough so far and the acting is passable for a TV series I guess?

red19fire
May 26, 2010

That Works posted:

Any opinion about Turn on Netflix? Watched the 1st 2 episodes and it seems decent so far. The story is interesting enough so far and the acting is passable for a TV series I guess?

I really like Turn. However, I'm fascinated by the Revolutionary War spy stuff, and a big part of the season takes place in my hometown area (Morristown NJ). It's kind of slow, but it's well acted and a decent slow burn.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

That Works posted:

It's pretty good and improves at a steady clip throughout the season. I definitely recommend it for fans of period piece stuff. It's no Peaky Blinders quality-wise but it's as good as something like Ripper Street

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Currently in the middle of the original Assault on Precinct 13 and I really like it. Not much dialog, but the Carpenter score makes up for it.

Also watched a movie called Favor on Hulu that turned out to be OK for a low/no budget thriller.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Crying Fist belongs up next to Rocky and Raging Bull as one of the best boxing movies of all time.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I just finished Daredevil and man, that's some good stuff. I am so stoked for the rest of the series they're planning. As someone with a really basic knowledge of Daredevil in general I'm looking forward to learning about Jessica Jones, Iron Fist, and Luke Cage.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Fruitvale Station is now on Netflix if you want to watch Michael B Jordan in an amazing and tragic role.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

computer parts posted:

Fruitvale Station is now on Netflix if you want to watch Michael B Jordan in an amazing and tragic role.

Seriously so good watch it.

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

precision posted:

It's pretty good and improves at a steady clip throughout the season. I definitely recommend it for fans of period piece stuff. It's no Peaky Blinders quality-wise but it's as good as something like Ripper Street

Peaky Blinders is the poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

computer parts posted:

Movie's so loving good. Have fun not crying/tearing up at the end.