Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

i care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

I do not.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

how come?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Smythe posted:

how come?

Live and let live - buy the Office you want, I won't care.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

e: wrong thread what the hell

carry on then fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 16, 2015

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

iPad with Retina Display

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Smythe posted:

the hell kind of hosed up retard spends money on an office clone in a world where real office exists. theres plenty of free options for fake office. once you get the cc out - hell - just get the real deal

I always wonder this with Kingsoft Office, unless it is some super retarded nationalistic poo poo that some entities must buy Chinese and thus a company founded to simply copy Office.

Never even heard of Softmaker Office before, :lol: Word Perfect is still a thing.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 16, 2015

pram
Jun 10, 2001

ahmeni posted:

iWork was only free when you bought a machine after like nov 2013 or something, about a month after I bought my air
I've bought Pages and Keynote anyways though because they're nice and my time isn't worthless

i have been using osx for more than a decade. you loving pleb. i purchased a boxed copy of iwork from the apple store for $99 in 2005. dont question my loving cred

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

MrMoo posted:

:lol: Word Perfect is still a thing.

not only is it still a thing, it's still in heavy use in law firms nationwide due to making all of its standard templates back in the pre-ms word dos days

pram
Jun 10, 2001
i still have a mac email motherfucker! gently caress you!!

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

univbee posted:

not only is it still a thing, it's still in heavy use in law firms nationwide due to making all of its standard templates back in the pre-ms word dos days

Which no doubt explains their "legal edition", cripes:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

it's lawyers and olds who never bothered to learn anything about computer after around 1992

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i actually liked wordperfect

also i think i have a WP 5.1 License Certificate somewhere lmao

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lol

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

minivanmegafun posted:

i actually liked wordperfect

also i think i have a WP 5.1 License Certificate somewhere lmao

i used wordperfect 5.1 for years, and i think it's the only word processor that never once crashed on me

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

what's the brown screen?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

what's the brown screen?

syncing I think

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

what's the brown screen?

it's poo poo

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
what could wrong??

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

rip that phone

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Luigi Thirty posted:

it's lawyers and olds who never bothered to learn anything about computer after around 1992

and the fact that ms has yet to try and take that market after all these decades

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge

my stepdads beer posted:

rip that phone
i just checked the twitter

lol rip that phone and that tablet

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Phoenixan posted:

surprised it doesn't just show a sad face

:(

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

:...

edited for accuracy

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Phoenixan posted:

in my experience, windows 8 will always do this if you try to install more than about 30 updates at a time, dunno if 8.1 still has it

it happens every single time i try to install from windows 8, and i can't just use my key in the 8.1 installer because reasons

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

carry on then posted:

it happens every single time i try to install from windows 8, and i can't just use my key in the 8.1 installer because reasons

you can use a :filez: 8.1 key to get the initial install going, and then once you're in windows proper you can change keys and it'll work

no idea why the installer doesn't let you

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

univbee posted:

you can use a :filez: 8.1 key to get the initial install going, and then once you're in windows proper you can change keys and it'll work

ms

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

univbee posted:

you need a windows 8.1 key to install windows 8.1

all users with windows 8 keys must install windows 8, install all updates required to install windows 8.1 (the installer starts from the gm from 2012), and then install windows 8.1 from the windows store

so basically

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

carry on then posted:

you need a windows 8.1 key to install windows 8.1

all users with windows 8 keys must install windows 8, install all updates required to install windows 8.1 (the installer starts from the gm from 2012), and then install windows 8.1 from the windows store

so basically

officially, yes, but you can take this approach instead

- install windows 8.1 using a :filez: key
- when you boot up it will yell at you that it's a few million over the number of activations allowed
- select "change product key" and enter your windows 8 key. it will actually work and fully activate at this stage.

ms

and speaking of ms, make sure you grab a "windows 8.1 update" iso instead of just a "windows 8.1" iso or you'll add on another batch of updates you have to do

pram
Jun 10, 2001
apple operating system x (most advanced operating system) doesnt have product keys

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

pram posted:

apple operating system x (most advanced operating system) doesnt have product keys

it does, they're just built into authentic macs :smug:

and windows 8 does the same thing with bios-integrated keys but they royally hosed it up with the 8/8.1 different keys bullshit

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

what's the brown screen?

zune

pram
Jun 10, 2001

univbee posted:

it does, they're just built into authentic macs :smug:

and windows 8 does the same thing with bios-integrated keys but they royally hosed it up with the 8/8.1 different keys bullshit

no it doesnt idiot

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

univbee posted:

officially, yes, but you can take this approach instead

- install windows 8.1 using a :filez: key
- when you boot up it will yell at you that it's a few million over the number of activations allowed
- select "change product key" and enter your windows 8 key. it will actually work and fully activate at this stage.

ms

and speaking of ms, make sure you grab a "windows 8.1 update" iso instead of just a "windows 8.1" iso or you'll add on another batch of updates you have to do

or they could expend the smallest amount of effort and email me a god damned 8.1 key

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pram posted:

no it doesnt idiot
it does in the same sense that dell or hp computers don't have product keys, but you just have to use a special install media that checks the hardware key for authentication

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

pram posted:

i wonder how many IRL real seconds that windows adds on boot doing key check auth poo poo to make sure you're not using their software without their absolutely most up to date permission

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

it's okay guys, you can use a KMS dummy key instead of a pirated key to install it. because, you know, normal people know what KMS dummy keys are and where to look for them :downs:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

anthonypants posted:

it does in the same sense that dell or hp computers don't have product keys, but you just have to use a special install media that checks the hardware key for authentication

pcs have the keys on the license stickers on the tower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
windows: literally has cd key you have to type in
osx: doesnt

do you complete retards not understand this

• Locked thread