Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Vengarr posted:

SKY CANCER :argh:

But for real, they nerfed manual torpedo drops hard and barely buffed dive bombers. And US battleships are hard as gently caress to bomb despite being so slow because they can turn on a dime. They're also packed to the brim with AA after a few tiers.

They were already barely being played. They're going to be practically extinct for a while.

US battleships don't get AAA until tier 7. For comparison, the Japanese do at tier 5. While they can turn fast the rudder shift time is pretty slow for US BBs, once they start turning they're comitted to the turn. I've also seen plenty of pubbie carriers doing point blank torp drops effectively in this patch, so I guess try to be as good as pubbies??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

Warbadger posted:

US battleships don't get AAA until tier 7.

T4 Wyoming (1942 hull) has an AA rating of 13 and the T5 New York is 4 stock, 22 with 1942 hull. For comparison the T4 Phoenix is 2/3/7, and the T5 Omaha is 3/12/20 with the various hull upgrades. Oddly enough the 3rd Omaha hull was added in 0.3.1. It chops 2 torpedo tube mounts & 2 of the single tube 152mm main gun mounts to add the extra AA. An upgraded T6 New Mexico beats a stock Cleveland for AA. But when you get to T7 and up, it swings the other way.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

MREBoy posted:

T4 Wyoming (1942 hull) has an AA rating of 13 and the T5 New York is 4 stock, 22 with 1942 hull. For comparison the T4 Phoenix is 2/3/7, and the T5 Omaha is 3/12/20 with the various hull upgrades. Oddly enough the 3rd Omaha hull was added in 0.3.1. It chops 2 torpedo tube mounts & 2 of the single tube 152mm main gun mounts to add the extra AA. An upgraded T6 New Mexico beats a stock Cleveland for AA. But when you get to T7 and up, it swings the other way.

Everything has garbage AAA in tier 4.

The stock Cleveland doesn't have great AAA for tier 6, neither does the upgraded New Mexico. The upgraded Cleveland does, however, have good AAA.

At tier 7 the US battleships get great AAA with the upgraded Colorado. Which is what I said. Japanese battleships get passable AAA earlier in tier 5 and see a sudden bump up in tier 8 rather than 7.

Basically the US battleships aren't much better AAA-wise until the last few tiers, while being notably worse in some of the early/mid tiers.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 09:18 on May 17, 2015

BLerchg
May 8, 2015
So far i really like the changes with the latest patch. Looks like the average game time is going up, which means that you dont have matches consisting of 85% travel, 15% fighting but instead of 50% travel, 50% fighting.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

BLerchg posted:

So far i really like the changes with the latest patch. Looks like the average game time is going up, which means that you dont have matches consisting of 85% travel, 15% fighting but instead of 50% travel, 50% fighting.

Mine seem to be 20% travelling, 20% travelling back the way I just came, 40% desperately trying to stop 4 BBs going for a cap in my cruiser, then 20% me bitching like gently caress as all our BBs hug the blue line miles away as we get capped out.

This is happening so much it's getting beyond funny.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Also capping on that new map where you spawn on two different sides? Why the gently caress do pubbies think it's a great idea to go and try and cap when the other team has lost no ships? It is just making your self a fish in a barrel, it is beyond retarded.

I also just saw someone called out as being a "loving noob HE shooter" and "noob HE hax".

I shoot nothing but HE nowadays, it's utterly amazing :haw:

Burt fucked around with this message at 10:54 on May 17, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Gonna give it a try now with 3.1, interested to see the changes. So loading HE is the answer on the Cleveland, right?

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Tekopo posted:

Gonna give it a try now with 3.1, interested to see the changes. So loading HE is the answer on the Cleveland, right?

Yes, the Cleveland's weak guns have stopped doing anything with AP. You can only go through cruiser armour at a dead 90 degree split.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Yes, the Cleveland's weak guns have stopped doing anything with AP. You can only go through cruiser armour at a dead 90 degree split.
Guess it makes more sense than the incredible amount of citadels you could hit previously with the ship.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Warbadger posted:

US battleships don't get AAA until tier 7. For comparison, the Japanese do at tier 5. While they can turn fast the rudder shift time is pretty slow for US BBs, once they start turning they're comitted to the turn. I've also seen plenty of pubbie carriers doing point blank torp drops effectively in this patch, so I guess try to be as good as pubbies??

You can still do close-range torpedo drops, but the spread has increased significantly and the minimum arming distance is increased. The torpedoes travel faster, and all U.S. carriers get a single squadron max (save for a 2 TB 3 DB layout on the Essex).

The upshot to these changes ends up being that you have to drop your torps further away from the enemy ship, far enough away that the enemy can evade. Or even if they don't, the wider spread means you probably won't hit with all six torpedoes anymore, particularly against shorter vessels. I got to extensively test this one game against an AFK BB.

A single unit of dive bombers is pretty meh. 3 squads working together can do significant damage, but that requires giving up all your fighters. My tests with the Lex (3 DB 1 TB) had my lone TB doing almost as much damage as the 3 DBs did, about 50k apiece ignoring fire and flooding. That was with no enemy carrier to bother me though.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

Zhanism posted:

Should BB ever use HE even with this patch? My DDs are using HE almost all the time and I only use AP on my 8 Inch cruisers.

Fighting DDs, finishing off low-hp targets and perhaps long-extreme range shooting. Otherwise keep using AP.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Warbadger posted:

Everything has garbage AAA in tier 4.

The stock Cleveland doesn't have great AAA for tier 6, neither does the upgraded New Mexico. The upgraded Cleveland does, however, have good AAA.

At tier 7 the US battleships get great AAA with the upgraded Colorado. Which is what I said. Japanese battleships get passable AAA earlier in tier 5 and see a sudden bump up in tier 8 rather than 7.

Basically the US battleships aren't much better AAA-wise until the last few tiers, while being notably worse in some of the early/mid tiers.
Wyoming has passable AA - about the same damage output as Kongo, but limited to 2.5 km range. Myogi has no AA.
New York has better close in AA than Kongo or Fuso, 96 damage per second versus 76 on Kongo and 83 on Fuso. The rating is lower than Kongo because the game values longer range DP guns heavily; I don't know why it's lower than Fuso because based on the displayed values NY is straight up better in every way. (DP guns disappear on the Fuso hull upgrade, maybe they're still there but not shown?)
New Mexico has much better AA than Fuso, in every way. Close in it's better than Nagato.
Colorado has 2.5 times as much AA as Nagato, with longer range to boot.
Tiers 8 and 9 aren't close. Yamato actually has better AA than Montana until the planes close to 2 km, and then it's the same story.

Basically the only tier where the Japanese AA is clearly better is tier 3. AA ratings are misleading, especially when you're using the AA ratings off the stock hull.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

I haven't played since the aimbots took off, but coming back in and the engine sounds seem to have stopped? I get the gearbox sound when I sent to full throttle but no noise from the turbines any more, and there's also none of the rumbling and creaking in the port either. Did they remove that?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
That's the price for having no aimbot.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

demonR6 posted:

That's the price for having no aimbot.

The aimbot algorithm used engine sounds for triangulation so they took it out.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Trip report CL Cleveland and Atlanta:

:supaburn:

Michaellaneous fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 17, 2015

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Scikar posted:

I haven't played since the aimbots took off, but coming back in and the engine sounds seem to have stopped? I get the gearbox sound when I sent to full throttle but no noise from the turbines any more, and there's also none of the rumbling and creaking in the port either. Did they remove that?
Sound balance is weird since the patch. Sometimes certain sounds will cut out or be overwhelmed by another sound's volume. Last night I had a game on the new map where the whine of torpedo launchers traversing would play at max volume for 30 seconds before returning to normal. Sometimes the propeller noises will get loud so it is like you are in a WWII submarine movie.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
Just like before the patch, HE hits on superstructures do a lot of damage. American battleships and Warspite feel this the most, and Japanese ships with weird superstructures avoid the worst of it. The Myogi is actually really hard to damage with HE, because it has no superstructure to hit.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/05/gallery-ars-tours-the-battleship-uss-iowa-bb-61/

Lovely pictures, lovely information, lovely boat.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/03/gears-of-war-when-mechanical-analog-computers-ruled-the-waves/2/

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

grrarg posted:

Sound balance is weird since the patch. Sometimes certain sounds will cut out or be overwhelmed by another sound's volume. Last night I had a game on the new map where the whine of torpedo launchers traversing would play at max volume for 30 seconds before returning to normal. Sometimes the propeller noises will get loud so it is like you are in a WWII submarine movie.
I once was about 8km or so in front of a Murmansk, and every time it fired the shots would play full volume in my right headphone, since I was looking off to the side.

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

I decided to take a break from the New Orleans to try out the new BBs.

I hate driving them so much, everything's so slow.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
Been waiting for this game for ages. Never got an invite for the CBT, though. Are the pre-order packs any good? I'm wondering if it's worth buying one, and which of the three packs is the best value? Also any idea how long CBT will last?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Smoremaster posted:

Been waiting for this game for ages. Never got an invite for the CBT, though. Are the pre-order packs any good? I'm wondering if it's worth buying one, and which of the three packs is the best value? Also any idea how long CBT will last?

Gremyaschy is by far the best pack.

texasmed
May 27, 2004
I bought into the CBT after not receiving an invite as well. It's been talked about 3-4 pages back and further, but the Grem is pretty good. It's a Soviet ship too, so it'll probably get some kind of home-team benefits just like several tanks in WoT.

I think the game itself is in a really good state. The only bug that bothers me is, twice in about 50 games I've entered a round not able to use any weapons or abilities. Hopefully that gets fixed soon since it's pretty infuriating when it happens, but it hasn't happened to me in consecutive rounds or anything.

edit: As for some other content, what's the consensus on torpedo spamming? I figure if they reload in 30 seconds I'm gonna send those fuckers downrange, even if the enemy botes are barely gonna enter range as they're disappearing. I figure if they even see them in the water, it's gonna make them think twice and potentially deny the area to them.

Some guy in a game was complaining about my torp spamming so I've been thinking about it.

texasmed fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 17, 2015

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

As long as it works or at least you enjoy it, who the gently caress cares what other people say about it?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

To be fair it is still in beta. Just report the bug and keep playing on.
This should not be a defense just because it is a beta. I got pubbies screaming at me because I dared to point out flaws, saying "It'a beta".

Appearently that means that everything is okay and you are not allowed to point out bugs or make suggestions.

e:

texasmed posted:

edit: As for some other content, what's the consensus on torpedo spamming? I figure if they reload in 30 seconds I'm gonna send those fuckers downrange, even if the enemy botes are barely gonna enter range as they're disappearing. I figure if they even see them in the water, it's gonna make them think twice and potentially deny the area to them.

Some guy in a game was complaining about my torp spamming so I've been thinking about it.

My opinion may be tainted since I played NF for tens years, so if there is something I can it is dodging torpedos. But 40 seconds is hardly spam, only high tier ships get truly a large armound, and generally speaking you can dodge quite easily by...well, driving smart.

So the general consens is "gently caress pubbies". It's a legit tactic.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

texasmed posted:

It can sort of work at low tiers, but at higher tiers torpedo reload times can blow out to a minute and a half, so it's not something quickly repeatable

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

James Garfield posted:

Wyoming has passable AA - about the same damage output as Kongo, but limited to 2.5 km range. Myogi has no AA.
New York has better close in AA than Kongo or Fuso, 96 damage per second versus 76 on Kongo and 83 on Fuso. The rating is lower than Kongo because the game values longer range DP guns heavily; I don't know why it's lower than Fuso because based on the displayed values NY is straight up better in every way. (DP guns disappear on the Fuso hull upgrade, maybe they're still there but not shown?)
New Mexico has much better AA than Fuso, in every way. Close in it's better than Nagato.
Colorado has 2.5 times as much AA as Nagato, with longer range to boot.
Tiers 8 and 9 aren't close. Yamato actually has better AA than Montana until the planes close to 2 km, and then it's the same story.

Basically the only tier where the Japanese AA is clearly better is tier 3. AA ratings are misleading, especially when you're using the AA ratings off the stock hull.

They rate longer range guns higher for two obvious reasons.
First, they're useful in more situations. A 2.5km range gun means nothing to torpedo bombers, is unlikely to shoot down something before the bombs have been dropped, and cannot be used for overlapping coverage between ships easily.
Second, they have substantially less time to deal damage because even for something flying directly over you which is optimal for short range guns, double the range means double the time dealing damage and twice the damage dealt if DPS is equal.

This is one of the reasons US battleships do not have functional AAA until tier 7.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Did they stealth nerf american BBs, my shots are suddenly thinner spread than nutella on a poor family's breakfast.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Warbadger posted:

They rate longer range guns higher for two obvious reasons.
First, they're useful in more situations. A 2.5km range gun means nothing to torpedo bombers, is unlikely to shoot down something before the bombs have been dropped, and cannot be used for overlapping coverage between ships easily.
Second, they have substantially less time to deal damage because even for something flying directly over you which is optimal for short range guns, double the range means double the time dealing damage and twice the damage dealt if DPS is equal.

This is one of the reasons US battleships do not have functional AAA until tier 7.

Even if you take longer range guns at face value the US battleships have superior AA at every tier other than 3 and 5. I do not know why you think the Fuso's AA is better than the New Mexico's; the New Mexico has more AA damage at literally every range.

edit: in fact, the New York has better damage output than the Fuso at about the same ranges, yet somehow the Fuso gets "functional AA" and the New York does not.

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 23:50 on May 17, 2015

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

It looks like the Fuso's AA got seriously cut down.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
This is probably a huge waste of money, but what's the best pre-order to get into the closed beta?

Also, anyone else in here from NDP back in world of tanks?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Ghetto Prince posted:

What's the best pre-order to get into the closed beta?

The Grem.

e: Also no, the Nazis are not yet here. Germans ships have not yet been released.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012

xthetenth posted:

It looks like the Fuso's AA got seriously cut down.

It did, most of the 25mm guns were replaced with machine guns and the dual-purpose guns can't fire at aircraft any more.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

Ghetto Prince posted:

Several of us!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

rossmum posted:

Several of us!

I can't paint a crying Lenin on my boat. This makes me sad.

E: Almost as sad as the Mahan. Tier 7 DD and it has 4.5km torps. And takes 8200xp before you can upgrade them. Jesus what a pain this is going to be.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Turns out lobbing AP in your Cleveland at everything nets you about 2k more damage per volley.

:raise:

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

The Locator posted:

I can't paint a crying Lenin on my boat. This makes me sad.

E: Almost as sad as the Mahan. Tier 7 DD and it has 4.5km torps. And takes 8200xp before you can upgrade them. Jesus what a pain this is going to be.
Default torps are bad except for island ambushes, but the guns are great. Dance at max range and burn everything with HE.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Having a surprisingly good time in the NM. Not a bad ship, even if it is ugly. :colbert:

e: :japan:

Patch broke the Rising Sun though, RIP

rossmum fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

rossmum posted:

Having a surprisingly good time in the NM. Not a bad ship, even if it is ugly. :colbert:

e: :japan:

Patch broke the Rising Sun though, RIP

New Mexico is one of the highlights of the line. Enjoy her while you can, the Colorado is just pure misery by all accounts.

Aslain's Mod Installer already has an updated Rising Sun flag.

As for Yamato:

She's a good ship now. :japan: