Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001
there is no situation in which some kind of code needs to be typed into osx. even on a fake hackintosh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
pram, windows users like that because it's like putting the really difficult ot use key into their fictional really difficult ot use sports car

and when they pirate windows it's like they are stealing the car andn driving away like in the movies

if it was just easy then they would have to deal with their crappy os sooner and without the mental reward for solving problems (Gamification)

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

pram posted:

there is no situation in which some kind of code needs to be typed into osx. even on a fake hackintosh

this is because osx is assumed to be included on first-party hardware, the pricing of which accounts for the operating system. this is one of the reasons why people think apple hardware is expensive- it doesn't match commodity pricing because it also covers the software and everything else

osx doesn't check for a key because there's no legal situation where you would ever have a macintosh computer but not the operating system

pram
Jun 10, 2001
counterpoint: windows is a piece of poo poo

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
also macs aren't subsidized with twenty toolbars and free apps built in that are basically one tier above spyware, if not entirely spyware, depending on vendor

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pram posted:

windows: literally has cd key you have to type in
osx: doesnt

do you complete retards not understand this
actually you're wrong. you are the retard who doesn't understand this. it's you.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol prove it

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
at my last job, they got in trouble with microsoft because they had dell pcs and instead of using the license key off of the sticker attached to the case, they just popped in a windows 7 pro install disc from dell, which did not prompt them to input a key because it verified that the hardware was dell and installed windows 7 pro

these were machines with xp/vista/7 license stickers so it's not like this is a brand new thing. hp and lenovo probably do the same thing. if any of those companies controlled the supply chain the same way that apple does there would be no reason for windows users to type in a key.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
do you not loving understand what im saying?

pram
Jun 10, 2001

pram posted:

read this. comprehend it. then dont post stfu

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
the only windows users who will ever type in a product key are Power Users. most users won't install windows on their computer themselves, they'll just keep using their ancient xp install until the computer dies and then buy a whole new computer. do you get this upset about any product that requires you to type in a product key, or is this just for the os

pram
Jun 10, 2001
nice backpedalling

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its amusing the windows retards argue from the assumption osx has a product key because they cant imagine that might be reality outside their horrible microsoft dystopia

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

pram posted:

its amusing the windows retards argue from the assumption osx has a product key because they cant imagine that might be reality outside their horrible microsoft dystopia

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

anthonypants posted:

it does in the same sense that dell or hp computers don't have product keys, but you just have to use a special install media that checks the hardware key for authentication

install.. "media"? like with old discs and flash drives? im sorry you lost me.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i should dig out the install disk that came with my old macbook air, it was a really cute usb disk

tiny rear end thing in a bubble wrap enclosure, before they realized nobody would really need them so stopped

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
you guys can still laugh at microsoft without having to pretend like product keys and physical install media don't exist outside of the windows experience, it's okay

pram
Jun 10, 2001
my statement was completely unambiguous. you are wrong. please stop being butthurt. wipe those tears. stiff upper lip laddy

pram posted:

apple operating system x (most advanced operating system) doesnt have product keys

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

anthonypants posted:

you guys can still laugh at microsoft without having to pretend like product keys and physical install media don't exist outside of the windows experience, it's okay

pretty sure license dongles that go into com ports are still sold, too

cremnob
Jun 30, 2010

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

this is because osx is assumed to be included on first-party hardware, the pricing of which accounts for the operating system. this is one of the reasons why people think apple hardware is expensive- it doesn't match commodity pricing because it also covers the software and everything else

osx doesn't check for a key because there's no legal situation where you would ever have a macintosh computer but not the operating system

its crazy to me to think that ppl make hackintoshes when they can use Ubuntu Gnome (More Libre) or Winders (More Pwnage) ... its like., Hmmm.. Ill take the WORST OF BOTH WORLDS for 8000 - no games and NOT LIBRE??? WOW! FUCKTARD ALERT!!

pram
Jun 10, 2001
osx is free in the beer sense

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The OS X product key embedded in the firmware is "Your karma check for today: There once was a user that whined his existing OS was so blind, he'd do better to pirate an OS that ran great but found his hardware declined. Please don't steal Mac OS! Really, that's way uncool. (C) Apple Computer, Inc."

Microsoft has to make OEMs embed unique per-install product keys in the BIOS or print them on stickers because they sell their OS separately from the hardware, Apple doesn't have to use unique keys because the OS price is included in the hardware, they just have to make the software check that the hardware is proper Apple hardware, and they do that by looking for the presence of a copyrighted poem.

HTH.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

The OS X product key embedded in the firmware is "Your karma check for today: There once was a user that whined his existing OS was so blind, he'd do better to pirate an OS that ran great but found his hardware declined. Please don't steal Mac OS! Really, that's way uncool. (C) Apple Computer, Inc."

Microsoft has to make OEMs embed unique per-install product keys in the BIOS or print them on stickers because they sell their OS separately from the hardware, Apple doesn't have to use unique keys because the OS price is included in the hardware, they just have to make the software check that the hardware is proper Apple hardware, and they do that by looking for the presence of a copyrighted poem.

HTH.

idk im loving retarded brain damaged reject but did u type these words??

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
"pirate" does not rhyme with "ran great" wtf

pram
Jun 10, 2001

pseudorandom name posted:

HTH.

macs dont have a tpm chip. and that was never true

http://www.osxbook.com/book/bonus/chapter10/tpm/#EXECUTIVE_SUMMARY

youre also apparently illiterate

pram
Jun 10, 2001
theres really no argument you goddamn plebs. osx literally doesnt have a product key, not even your imaginary tpm poem

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pram posted:

theres really no argument you goddamn plebs. osx literally doesnt have a product key, not even your imaginary tpm poem
are you sure you want to get into this in the microsoft thread, when you could be saving up these fully sick burns in case you ever get invited to a flame war thread

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol you have so pathetically lost

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

pram posted:

lol you have so pathetically lost
you're right, linking to an article about apple's tpm chips and then claiming that apple hardware doesn't include tpm chips has convinced me that you're probably functionally disabled for reals and not an elaborate troll

pram
Jun 10, 2001
please stop posting before you embarrass yourself further

quote:

In 2006, with the introduction of first Macintosh models with Intel processors, Apple started to ship Macs with TPM. Apple never provided an official driver, but there was a port under GPL available.[23] Apple has not shipped a computer with TPM since 2006.[24]

pram
Jun 10, 2001

anthonypants posted:

claiming that apple hardware doesn't include tpm chips

quoting this to enhance peoples perception of how unbelievably retarded this windows janitor is

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
oh man, you slapped him way harder than he slapped you.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

pram posted:

pcs have the keys on the license stickers on the tower

not anymore, they haven't since windows 8 if you're talking about pc's made by dell/lenono etc. (diy pc's still have license key stickers, though)

the keys are literally in the bios, like you can even see them if you go into the bios configuration at bootup for some machines. if you have a windows 8 key in the bios and install windows 8, it actually won't ever ask you for a key because it will just pull it from the bios automatically (you don't even need special media for this, as long as your media's version matches the key). the same thing happens if your machine has a built-in 8.1 key and you install from 8.1 media. the dumb-as-poo poo thing is that this doesn't work if you use 8.1 media on a computer that shipped with an 8 key. if the key isn't visible in the bios configuration screen you have to download an unofficial tool which will show you the key that's built into the bios

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

the solution to this is to never use windows and to throw that computer in the trash

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

carry on then posted:

in my experience, windows 8 will always do this if you try to install more than about 30 updates at a time, dunno if 8.1 still has it

it happens every single time i try to install from windows 8, and i can't just use my key in the 8.1 installer because reasons

univbee posted:

the dumb-as-poo poo thing is that this doesn't work if you use 8.1 media on a computer that shipped with an 8 key. if the key isn't visible in the bios configuration screen you have to download an unofficial tool which will show you the key that's built into the bios

I'm pretty sure they fixed the 8 key in 8.1 months ago (at least with their online iso tool, because thats how i got an 8.1 iso for my 8 machine with an embedded 8 key A-OK)

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 15:07 on May 17, 2015

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

you can make a disk image from an imac and clone it to 100 macbooks pro with no problem and without any "product keys"

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

pram posted:

every oem 8.1 machine has embedded keys now. OEM is also the only comparison that really matters because

Last Chance posted:

you can make a disk image from an imac and clone it to 100 macbooks pro with no problem and without any "product keys"

what dumb situation would you be in where you had 100 windows laptops to manage but no volume license

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

maybe a situation where you dont want to pay microsoft for a large volume of poo poo

• Locked thread