Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Lum_ posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Papal_Palace_of_Castel_Gandolfo

There are also some buildings in Rome but outside the Vatican ran by the Church and considered outside Italian jurisdiction.

Neat. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

haha this pope owns

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

My Imaginary GF posted:

Any illegal action engaged in by a non-state actor designed to provoke a response from state institutions.

Wow, this is from a few pages back but I'll be damned if this isn't the funniest post MIGF has ever made.

#Things MIGF thinks are terrorism

The Declaration of Independence
Tank Man in Tiennamen Square
The Million Man March
Martin Luther's nailing his message on the church doors
The Salt March
Israeli settlers pushing out even further than their government 'allows'

Make your own #things MIGF thinks are terrorism

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Jews escaping or avoiding concentration camps, apparently

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Jesus Christ he's on probation take a week off of arguing with MIGF, especially when there's real things to talk about.

It's not really that big a step, the Vatican just moved their previous recognition of PLO over. Still, the tears are amazing, especially Israel's "The whole world must obey our non-recognition of a Palestinian state!" shtick.

I'm fairly sure that this will get brought up again in the fall when he's scheduled to address congress, so there's a second round of tears to look forward to.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt
Graffiti, resisting arrest, whistle-blowing on government corruption, protesting, reading banned books, littering, driving without a license...

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

Happy yawm-an nakba everybody who reads this thread

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

V. Illych L. posted:

haha this pope owns

I'm glad liberation theology finally won out, the Church should be focused on helping the poor and oppressed.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Ultramega posted:

Happy yawm-an nakba everybody who reads this thread

I don't know if "happy" is really the appropriate word to use, given what happened. Catastrophe, indeed.

Still, I'll lift a glass today. Hope anybody demonstrating doesn't get arrested and beaten or something else horrible!

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

There is no happy here

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
It seems that the Israeli soldiers showed unusual restraint this year and only shot the protesters in the legs!

New Division
Jun 23, 2004

I beg to present to you as a Christmas gift, Mr. Lombardi, the city of Detroit.

Khisanth Magus posted:

It seems that the Israeli soldiers showed unusual restraint this year and only shot the protesters in the legs!

You can expect nothing less from the Most Moral Army in the World™

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

platedlizard posted:

I'm glad liberation theology finally won out, the Church should be focused on helping the poor and oppressed.

Yeah he isn't pushing liberation theology.

http://w2.vatican.va/content/leo-xiii/en/encyclicals/documents/hf_l-xiii_enc_15051891_rerum-novarum.html

But its fun to see cafeteria catholics whine about him just being more vocal about traditional church policy. Oh crap I thought I was in US pol.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 16, 2015

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Hey folks, just a head's up, after leaving this thread in a huff about a month ago, I've now been made mod and this is probably going to be a thread I will be focusing on. For those of you who don't know me, I'm an Israeli expat but extremely left wing (at least in Israeli terms).

Here is my conception of how discussion ehre will proceed:

Considering the shitshow that is the current government, the vulgar brutality of the occupation regime in the West Bank, the maintenance of Gaza as an open-air prison, and a myriad of racist legal and quasi-legal practices inside the Green Line, I am sure those of you who want can find many substantiated atrocities to cry foul over, and I encourage that. I will not, however tolerate blatant pushing of conspiracy theories and antisemitism.

As for people promoting what is usually referred to as a "pro-Israel" stance, I personally am not going to probate/ban you just for saying outrageous things, as long as you argue for them well. But I am going to have a low tolerance for rehashed Hasbara talking points, and definitely for bigotry towards Arabs, Jews of a descent you don't like, African asylum seekers, Muslim generally or specifically of some sect, Christians, Europeans, etc. Many of my ancestors were murdered in the Holocaust or suffered the rigors of the Pale of Settlement, and their descendents helped build Israel, for better or for worse, but that is no excuse for being bigoted assholes towards non-Jews now out of some misplaced sense of entitlement. Keep that under control, at least here.

Now that that's out of the way, feel free to report what you think are excesses, PM me about issues, etc. I'm here to help make this thread work.

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Hey folks, just a head's up, after leaving this thread in a huff about a month ago, I've now been made mod and this is probably going to be a thread I will be focusing on. For those of you who don't know me, I'm an Israeli expat but extremely left wing (at least in Israeli terms).

Here is my conception of how discussion ehre will proceed:

Considering the shitshow that is the current government, the vulgar brutality of the occupation regime in the West Bank, the maintenance of Gaza as an open-air prison, and a myriad of racist legal and quasi-legal practices inside the Green Line, I am sure those of you who want can find many substantiated atrocities to cry foul over, and I encourage that. I will not, however tolerate blatant pushing of conspiracy theories and antisemitism.

As for people promoting what is usually referred to as a "pro-Israel" stance, I personally am not going to probate/ban you just for saying outrageous things, as long as you argue for them well. But I am going to have a low tolerance for rehashed Hasbara talking points, and definitely for bigotry towards Arabs, Jews of a descent you don't like, African asylum seekers, Muslim generally or specifically of some sect, Christians, Europeans, etc. Many of my ancestors were murdered in the Holocaust or suffered the rigors of the Pale of Settlement, and their descendents helped build Israel, for better or for worse, but that is no excuse for being bigoted assholes towards non-Jews now out of some misplaced sense of entitlement. Keep that under control, at least here.

Now that that's out of the way, feel free to report what you think are excesses, PM me about issues, etc. I'm here to help make this thread work.

עוד דוגמא להתנהגות האנטי דמוקרטית של הסמול הבוגדני

congrats :toot:, hopefully this thread becomes readable again.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Flower amongst cities, taken by the forces of hatred, colonialism, racism and apartheid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xNtzGTRx_8

Never forget.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 16, 2015

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer
Another major coalition demand, this time from Liberman. Let's see if Bibi will cave on this one as well:

quote:

Yisrael Beytenu chief Avigdor Liberman vowed Saturday that he would not join Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s coalition until there were changes to the government’s guidelines - specifically the inclusion of a pledge that Israel would adopt a law mandating the death penalty for anyone convicted of terrorism.

“Even liberals understand that terrorists deserve the death penalty,” Liberman wrote on his Facebook page Saturday evening.

To back his argument, Liberman cited the recent decision by a US federal jury to sentence Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, a co-accomplice in the bombing of the Boston Marathon in 2013, to death.

http://www.jpost.com/Israel-News/Politics-And-Diplomacy/If-Boston-can-execute-an-Islamic-terrorist-so-should-Israel-403274

It seems strange to go from not executing anybody since Eichmann to the mandatory execution of hundreds of convicted terrorists, but I assume that's what Liberman's voters want.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Al-Saqr posted:

Flower amongst cities, taken by the forces of hatred, colonialism, racism and apartheid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xNtzGTRx_8

Never forget.

(Why did you switch from your original link?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nu2qxiFRJrQ
)

That's a lovely song, and I do hope that someday you, and anyone who wants, can visit Jerusalem/Al Quds without fear of racial profiling and violence, that the colonialist expansion in to "East Jerusalem" ceases, and that racist festivals such as Jerusalem Day are abolished. That being said, hatred and colonialism were not all the conquest of the Old City of Jerusalem was about :

I'm also sure people were happy to be able to access the Mount Scopus campus of HUJI, which became a militarized enclave after the Jordanian occupation. It's misleading and unhelpful to attribute every Israeli action to malice.

But moving towards the ever horrifying present: the new Minister of Culture, Miri Regev, has decided to move her ministry to East Jerusalem, and will hold the ministerial transition ceremony in Sheikh Jarrah. :cripes:

SNAKES N CAKES posted:

Another major coalition demand, this time from Liberman. Let's see if Bibi will cave on this one as well:

It seems strange to go from not executing anybody since Eichmann to the mandatory execution of hundreds of convicted terrorists, but I assume that's what Liberman's voters want.

Seems pretty resigned to sitting in the opposition and making himself out to be a tough for the next reshuffle to me. This was just one of many demands he's made both before and after the elections. One of the fundamental ones that this story isn't covering is easing of conversion to Judaism, which is just not going to pass while Shas and UTJ are in. :shrug:

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

How is a propaganda picture of a bunch of racist European colonist terrorists looking upwards at the land they stole in an aggressive expansionist war supposed to convince me it wasn't malice?

am I supposed to look at this and think 'oh hey that guy who colonized Palestine willingly to erase Palestinians is feeling all emotional, willikers those are swell folks'?

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 22:19 on May 16, 2015

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

How is a propaganda picture of a bunch of racist European colonist terrorists looking upwards at the land they stole in an aggressive expansionist war supposed to convince me it wasn't malice?

Kinda funny to call them European when Europe had made it clear a couple decades prior that they were Not Welcome.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Al-Saqr posted:

am I supposed to look at this and think 'oh hey that guy who colonized Palestine willingly to erase Palestinians is feeling all emotional, willikers those are swell folks'?

Because while they were definitely assholes of the highest calibre you can't deny how delusional they were. So much so that seeing a piece of land and some bricks made them feel happy. In summary it probably wasn't (100%) malice, but seriously gently caress those guys.

עוד סמולני מניאק. Congrats Absurd

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Al-Saqr posted:

You don't usually look upwards at land. :raise:

These, a group of Jewish IDF soldiers, some themselves refugees from Europe, some descended from them, are looking up longingly at the Wailing Wall, an artifact of Jewish religious and cultural significance for thousands of years, to which access has been restricted before 1948, and was completely stopped after 1948, so no, I don't think malice is the sentiment best useful to describe this. It's also not quite a propaganda picture: it was taken by one of the soldiers who was also a photographer, rather than by a PR section or whatnot.

By the way, I'm pretty sure that the rightmost one, Haim Oshri, is a Mizrahi Jew. I can't find more biographical information about him, unfortunately, although there was a famous Yemenite Jewish rabbi and politician with the same name.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

These, a group of Jewish IDF soldiers, some themselves refugees from Europe, some descended from them, are looking up longingly at the Wailing Wall, an artifact of Jewish religious and cultural significance for thousands of years, to which access has been restricted before 1948, and was completely stopped after 1948, so no, I don't think malice is the sentiment best useful to describe this.

Yeah and I'm sure Raymond of Toulouse and Robert the Second shed a tear when he saw the church they were 'denied' seeing in Jerusalem, didn't change the fact that him and his buddies were a bunch of crazed fanatics who committed mass murder.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Al-Saqr posted:

Yeah and I'm sure Raymond of Toulouse and Robert the Second shed a tear when he saw the church they were 'denied' seeing in Jerusalem, didn't change the fact that him and his buddies were a bunch of crazed fanatics who committed mass murder.

Attributing everything they did to malice isn't good political or historical analysis either. :shrug:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Speaking of bad political and historical analysis:

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, “Remember for a moment how many of us—the young people don't remember this probably so well—but those of us as adults remember what we felt like on the day after Sept. 11. That's how they feel almost every day. That's what they feel like because of what they're dealing with.” ~ Scott Walker, on Israel.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Has ayelet does anything horrible upon being made Minister of injustice?

Also that song is really sad and awesome at the same time.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Crowsbeak posted:

Has ayelet does anything horrible upon being made Minister of injustice?

I think the swearing in is this week, so she hasn't had a chance to.

And yeah, Fairuz is pretty awesome, here's one of her more famous songs, "Habbaytak Bissayf" = "I Loved You in Summer"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ytdzrj_5TiM

And Jean-François Michael's response, "Coupable" = "Guilty"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGDpA5vCPvM

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Crowsbeak posted:

That song is essentially one unofficial national anthems of Palestine, if you liked that song you should also listen to this amazing Choral arrangement version of it, which puts religious prayers from both Christianity and Islam into the song, it's a real amazing piece of defiance against Israeli religious racism:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN1NBmDXHGs

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Al-Saqr posted:

That song is essentially one unofficial national anthems of Palestine, if you liked that song you should also listen to this amazing Choral arrangement version of it, which puts religious prayers from both Christianity and Islam into the song, it's a real amazing piece of defiance against Israeli religious racism:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yN1NBmDXHGs

That is a lovely arrangement.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Pharaoh pharaoh let MI GF go.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Pope calls Palestinian leader "angel of peace" during visit. What a lovely welcome for Netanyahu's new government. :laugh:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Pope calls Palestinian leader "angel of peace" during visit. What a lovely welcome for Netanyahu's new government. :laugh:

Have Israel and the Papacy been at loggerheads before?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Crowsbeak posted:

When he visited Israel in 2014, he started in Jordan, took his time in the West Bank, and only ended the visit in Israel.

Much :qq:ing ensued.

Absurd Alhazred fucked around with this message at 06:59 on May 17, 2015

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Interesting bit in that article where they described calling Jesus Palestinian is an attempt to 'de-Judaize' Christ. It's interesting as an example of an identifcation of being Israeli as being Jewish, not in the sense that all Israelis are Jewish but that being Israeli is some requirement to be Jewish. Considering many of the Palestinians are descendants of the people who remained in that same area rather than becoming part of the diaspora, Jesus would be Palestinian the same way King Harold would have been British. Yeah there's been waves of immigration since then but there's a more or less unbroken cultural and geographic continuation there. I'm also not aware of the status of Hebrew in New Testament times, I know that all writings from that area/period are in Aramaic or Greek but was Hebrew widely known and spoken?

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Al-Saqr posted:

I shudder to imagine what you would have in store for any remaining Jewish residents in Greater Palestine when it comes to their rights to their holy places.

Crowsbeak posted:

There have long been issues centered around the legal status of the Church and its properties in Israel and Palestine, as well as various tensions over larger religious issues(like Benedict's rapprochement with SSPX style ultras).

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Crowsbeak posted:

They have a fundamental disagreement.

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

The Insect Court posted:

I shudder to imagine what you would have in store for any remaining Jewish residents in Greater Palestine when it comes to their rights to their holy places.

There have long been issues centered around the legal status of the Church and its properties in Israel and Palestine, as well as various tensions over larger religious issues(like Benedict's rapprochement with SSPX style ultras).

You really don't disappoint w/r/t living up to your red text reputation.

Ultramega fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 17, 2015

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MrNemo posted:

Interesting bit in that article where they described calling Jesus Palestinian is an attempt to 'de-Judaize' Christ. It's interesting as an example of an identifcation of being Israeli as being Jewish, not in the sense that all Israelis are Jewish but that being Israeli is some requirement to be Jewish. Considering many of the Palestinians are descendants of the people who remained in that same area rather than becoming part of the diaspora, Jesus would be Palestinian the same way King Harold would have been British. Yeah there's been waves of immigration since then but there's a more or less unbroken cultural and geographic continuation there. I'm also not aware of the status of Hebrew in New Testament times, I know that all writings from that area/period are in Aramaic or Greek but was Hebrew widely known and spoken?

I did look around (literally googling "Did Jesus speak Hebrew?" :sweatdrop:), and while it seems contentious, this guy thinks it's clear that Aramaic would be his language of choice. Like many historical issues it seems to have been obfuscated by really silly political squabbles (whether or not he spoke Hebrew he was clearly a Jew, so him not speaking really isn't the issue with Zionist/Jewish claims to Israel). It's like with Islamic scholars suddenly discovering that Jews had nothing to do with Jerusalem when writings by Muslim authorities in Palestine as late as the 1920's still clearly stated differently.

The Insect Court posted:

If there is a reversion to Ottoman practices, then it would indeed not be good. We can hope, however, that whatever solution Al-Saqr envisions for the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, it involves allowing Jews free access to their places of worship as much as it does for Muslims and Christians.

What do you envision, though? I will tell you right now that if you persist in hopping in here, taking pot shots, and then leaving without adding anything substantial to the conversation, I will take measures.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If there is a reversion to Ottoman practices, then it would indeed not be good. We can hope, however, that whatever solution Al-Saqr envisions for the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, it involves allowing Jews free access to their places of worship as much as it does for Muslims and Christians.

most ideal solution:-

1) the dismantling of the apartheid regime, the establishment of one secular state from the river to the sea with equal rights and votes for Palestinians.

2) the right of return for all of the Palestinians including their descendants.

3) Tear down all apartheid wall, liberate the gaza ghetto, recognition of crimes committed and reparations.

See that? not so bad now, is it? Unless of course if you think equal rights for all men is a bad thing and that religious racism should be enforced at the point of a gun that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Al-Saqr posted:

most ideal solution:-

1) the dismantling of the apartheid regime, the establishment of one secular state from the river to the sea with equal rights and votes for Palestinians.

2) the right of return for all of the Palestinians including their descendants.

3) Tear down all apartheid wall, liberate the gaza ghetto, recognition of crimes committed and reparations.

See that? not so bad now, is it? Unless of course if you think equal rights for all men is a bad thing and that religious racism should be enforced at the point of a gun that is.

If that's your end-goal, I think our differences probably have mostly to do with timeline and how to get there. v:shobon:v

• Locked thread