Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stimpy
Jul 27, 2004

Cap'n Scrap'n of the Hit Brigade
I will be bowing out I think. I've had too much poo poo going on lately for me to pay as much attention as I probably should. Also I'm really bad at this game apparently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

:gonk:
AV vs Jeff how loving original of a world series. So glad this world is fair and balanced. gently caress this game. Who wants my team?

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

Scrotos posted:

AV vs Jeff how loving original of a world series. So glad this world is fair and balanced. gently caress this game. Who wants my team?

Could be worse man at least you made it to 7 games

But yeah no this game is bullshit

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, there's plenty of other balls in the sea. Plus, you're not very talented.

Scrotos posted:

AV vs Jeff how loving original of a world series. So glad this world is fair and balanced. gently caress this game.

This world is more balanced than Clemens*, Zimmer or Mordecai right now. There were more teams this season that I thought had a legit shot at the WS in Dimaggio than any of those worlds, I'm sorry that the playoff RNG keeps putting Cleveland/SFE out there. Plus it's not like there hasn't been a ton of turnover for us, our teams barely resemble the ones from the last time we were both in the WS (heck, you have three of jeff's five best players from that season).

quote:

Who wants my team?

Me, I'll take it.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

boring rear end World Series for a boring game that most of us hate now

awesome

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

sure is fun when the same people win year after year after year, i'm pretty sure i'm in the same boat as the others above

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Every WS that doesn't involve anyone's own team is boring

chutwig
May 28, 2001

BURLAP SATCHEL OF CRACKERJACKS

i don't think you're entitled to that criticism since you've known exactly one season in Dimaggio in which Cleveland didn't at least make the playoffs and 1 season in the last 6 in which you didn't actually play in the WS

the point that you are apparently missing is it's not actually fun to be stood up as bowling pins for you, Jeff, scrotos, and gyroball over and over again

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

I had eight straight seasons of being one of the playoff bowling pins (nine if you include my inexplicable WS run in my second season with a team that had no business whatseover being there), while watching the two juggernauts of jeff and dryb win the WS in nearly all of those seasons, I can absolutely relate.

The randomness of the playoffs is what it is. If it only feels as though you're set up as a bowling pin then that's unfortunate and I can't give you a tolerable reason for why jeff and I keep meeting at the same time. But in short series of RNG games, dumb poo poo is going to happen. My absurd Zimmer/Greenwell team is the best I've built in any world and might have been the best team in Dimaggio in any of its last four or five seasons but it has consistently done fuckall in the playoffs. However frustrating the playoffs are, this world is in much better shape than a lot of other worlds and is in better shape than it has been in isolation maybe since the first season I joined.

duyarvish
Feb 7, 2015
Season 32 the Dumpsters will rise out of the bottom 3

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

AlleyViper posted:

Plus it's not like there hasn't been a ton of turnover for us, our teams barely resemble the ones from the last time we were both in the WS (heck, you have three of jeff's five best players from that season).

This actually hurts your argument, you guys keep rebuilding and staying competitive while no one else comes into the lime light. You don't age and have to rebuild you stay competitive. Your contention cycles do not break because people keep giving up and have to do a full rebuild where they trade their better talent for pennies on the dollar to get really bad so they can maybe one day compete. I did this as well. That is why this world is not competitive. It has nothing to do with how many teams are good or bad right now, but how they were built.

Most teams were built through deep tank jobs and the rebuilds are huge tank jobs where they wont even sniff 60 wins let alone 70. That means this world is not balanced. It does not matter that as dryb's powerhouse fell mine rose again. Or as devo rebuilds, tanktank comes up to take his place. It is how these teams rebuild and the fact that to "compete" in the rebuild devo has to aim for 55 wins so he sells his better aging talent for pennies to the few powerhouses.

The few owners at the top like Jeff and AV are good enough to keep rebuilding on the fly and never have a down year. It does not help when people keep trading them good talent for the crap in the minors and say "It is better than the comp talent!" it still unbalances the world. That player should hit FA but they won't. If we let players hit FA like they should the talent would be more spread out.

I say this as one of the few teams holding all the good talent. But my 5th loving starter would be most teams aces, this world is not balanced. It is hilarious to hear you say that.

Jeff has been a participant of 6 of the last 9 world series. AV has been a participant of 7 of the last 8 or something like that. That is not balance, even if some of that is random playoff crap.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

If we want to fix this world we need to boot people like Art or Me when they win only 50 games for 2 seasons and field a ML team of all Rule 5 guys. We also need to stop trading our vets when we rebuild for crap but just keep them and let our teams age gracefully, while that happens we can still compete for top picks because the worst team won 65 game not 51.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

chutwig posted:

i don't think you're entitled to that criticism since you've known exactly one season in Dimaggio in which Cleveland didn't at least make the playoffs and 1 season in the last 6 in which you didn't actually play in the WS

the point that you are apparently missing is it's not actually fun to be stood up as bowling pins for you, Jeff, scrotos, and gyroball over and over again

Let's be fair, despite putting out a fair number of superteams between us and usually making the playoffs, neither scrotos nor I have actually won the WS in Dimaggio.

Scrotos posted:

If we want to fix this world we need to boot people like Art or Me when they win only 50 games for 2 seasons and field a ML team of all Rule 5 guys. We also need to stop trading our vets when we rebuild for crap but just keep them and let our teams age gracefully, while that happens we can still compete for top picks because the worst team won 65 game not 51.

The good news is that, in theory, the new rules should put a damper on a lot of trading. I mean, that will make the offseason more boring but it should accomplish that.

gyroball fucked around with this message at 17:08 on May 17, 2015

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Oh hi, I won 68 games this year and am not even close to sniffing the #1 pick because I didn't want to get whined at. I tried to field a semi competitive team. Yasiel Gonzalez had an unbelievable season and is a legit MVP contender, and I have a legit ROY contender. I also have Tony Feliz, Terrence Weinhardt, Toby Cox, Isaac Sanders, and Doc Brignac all waiting to come up in the next few seasons, and Dann Parker and Braulio Canseco 4ish seasons away. This is a faster rebuild than you think.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Scrotos posted:

This actually hurts your argument, you guys keep rebuilding and staying competitive while no one else comes into the lime light.

Outside of WS appearances, what is your basis for claiming that no one else comes into the lime light?

quote:

You don't age and have to rebuild you stay competitive. Your contention cycles do not break because people keep giving up and have to do a full rebuild where they trade their better talent for pennies on the dollar to get really bad so they can maybe one day compete. I did this as well.

That's your own and anyone else's prerogative. There's nothing stopping you from taking a different approach and trying to extend your team's contention cycle. You could have done that with your pre-tank team. You knew there were guys that were likely to hit FA and instead of trading them you just let their contracts play out. You can be proactive instead of reactive. Dryb didn't have to tear down when he did, his team was set up better than probably anyone else's to contend in perpetuity and still he decided to tear down. That was his own discretion just as it was yours.

Plus, there are other owners that have been doing the same thing as jeff and I. Some who have even been open right here in these threads about their desire to trade their older talent for younger players with more cost control. Why are you not lumping those owners in with us? (it's because you're tired of jeff and I making the WS, not because there's any real meat to the argument)

quote:

That is why this world is not competitive. It has nothing to do with how many teams are good or bad right now, but how they were built.

Actually how many good and bad teams there are at any given moment is precisely what makes a world competitive. But, y'know, you won a WS in Mordecai so that world has no balance problems at all.

quote:

Most teams were built through deep tank jobs and the rebuilds are huge tank jobs where they wont even sniff 60 wins let alone 70.

Not mine.
Not Santa Fe
Not Colorado.
Not New Orleans.
Not Iowa.
Not Anaheim.
Not Gardenald's.
Not Portland during Murph's contention cycle.
Not Baltimore when quasimango was running that team.
etc.
etc.

That's not how it has to be done and this isn't a world that's the prime example for that strategy either.

quote:

That means this world is not balanced. It does not matter that as dryb's powerhouse fell mine rose again. Or as devo rebuilds, tanktank comes up to take his place. It is how these teams rebuild and the fact that to "compete" in the rebuild devo has to aim for 55 wins so he sells his better aging talent for pennies to the few powerhouses.

Feel free to provide some examples where teams shooting for the bottom traded their better aging talent for pennies to powerhouses. Let alone enough examples that show a systemic, problematic trend for the health of the world.

quote:

The few owners at the top like Jeff and AV are good enough to keep rebuilding on the fly and never have a down year.

You could, too! Anyone can take that approach!

quote:

It does not help when people keep trading them good talent for the crap in the minors and say "It is better than the comp talent!" it still unbalances the world.

Sorry you're mad that rbedwell traded Cla to jeff. Blame the 20-some odd other owners that didn't claim him on waivers.

quote:

That player should hit FA but they won't. If we let players hit FA like they should the talent would be more spread out.

Sorry you got burned by Dee, Teddy, Damaso and co. I hope you don't get angry when Bud and Moose test FA and you just let them walk instead of exploring trades for them.

quote:

I say this as one of the few teams holding all the good talent. But my 5th loving starter would be most teams aces, this world is not balanced. It is hilarious to hear you say that.

This speaks way more to how hard you tanked and how much talent you were able to acquire in the draft and IFA through said tanking than anything jeff and I have done or the overall balance of the world. And if you want to talk about the detriments of multiple hard tankers in a world then let's have that conversation.

quote:

Jeff has been a participant of 6 of the last 9 world series. AV has been a participant of 7 of the last 8 or something like that. That is not balance, even if some of that is random playoff crap.

You'd be better off citing any diversity or lack thereof of different playoff participants in any given year than just citing the WS competitors (and please, I wish I had been in seven of the last eight WS). But that would actually harm your argument instead of helping it. We've had most of the league represented in the playoffs over the last several seasons, and of those teams who haven't reached the playoffs there is a strong presence of either bad pubbie owners or teams that have had multiple seasons of owner turnover.

If you want to find problems with this world you can certainly find them but by and large they're not the ones that you're putting out there. Dimaggio has been in much worse shape in the past than it is right now and other worlds that you seemingly have no problem with are in much worse shape if you'd care to look at anything beyond who has played in the WS over the last few seasons.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
I have no qualms with the rbedwell deal. he did what was best for his franchise since the guy was going to walk. the problem is that there is no draft picks in the comp round worth poo poo, so getting anything makes it worth it to trade. Hopefully the new scouting changes mean you'll see more uncertainty, and guys with talent fall into comp rounds or rounds 2/3. I'd really like to see the DITR make a chance for your 3-5 round guys to turn into good players, rather than making garbage turn into something slightly less garbage. But as long as your comp pick doesn't net you poo poo, you have to get anything for a guy determined to walk that you can.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

oh sorry it was 5 of 6 not 7 of 8. Not really that big of a difference.

My main issue is that in Mordecai huge trades where big big guys get moved almost never happens outside of this season with Nasboat blowing up his whole team where as this common for Dimagiio. It is just not as fun when superstars move around teams like backend player do in real life. Can you please stop acting like you are in the same boat as Gyro, Devo, or some of the other players you named.

Yes I could move my vets for younger players but A I do not have the time to and B I like the idea of keeping a core of dudes together and watching it grow/contend/age and not just hot swapping players every season. I may try and trade some of my pitchers in their walk years or I may not.

Allow me to be frustrated that despite my team being way better than Jeff, he seems to beat me and gets bailed out and picks up talent for crap. Like I traded him in our mega deal with Hanson a really bad contract that I tried to move that whole season. The minute he gets someone offers to trade him a useful player for that deal straight up. Is it something I do wrong?? Why does me advertising a player get ignored, but Jeff can deal him right away? Its just frustrating that it seems to be easy to create a team for contention, but to constantly keep it there takes a lot of work. That is why I was talking about being burned out, I am sick of hoping someone gives me talent for cheap in a deal or trying to find somone dumb enough to trade youth for my vets. There is almost zero reason to trade youth for vets in this game.

So just let me vent and stop acting like you are in the same boat as me. I am frustrated in Mordecai as well. My team has been bounced in those playoffs as well for many years despite being on paper probably the best team. Maybe I don't optimize my lineups as well as you or Jeff do but thats where the burnout factor comes in again.

I want to cut back to 1 world and I think that is going to be Mordecai.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Scrotos posted:

oh sorry it was 5 of 6 not 7 of 8. Not really that big of a difference.

My main issue is that in Mordecai huge trades where big big guys get moved almost never happens outside of this season with Nasboat blowing up his whole team where as this common for Dimagiio. It is just not as fun when superstars move around teams like backend player do in real life. Can you please stop acting like you are in the same boat as Gyro, Devo, or some of the other players you named.

Yes I could move my vets for younger players but A I do not have the time to and B I like the idea of keeping a core of dudes together and watching it grow/contend/age and not just hot swapping players every season. I may try and trade some of my pitchers in their walk years or I may not.

Allow me to be frustrated that despite my team being way better than Jeff, he seems to beat me and gets bailed out and picks up talent for crap. Like I traded him in our mega deal with Hanson a really bad contract that I tried to move that whole season. The minute he gets someone offers to trade him a useful player for that deal straight up. Is it something I do wrong?? Why does me advertising a player get ignored, but Jeff can deal him right away? Its just frustrating that it seems to be easy to create a team for contention, but to constantly keep it there takes a lot of work. That is why I was talking about being burned out, I am sick of hoping someone gives me talent for cheap in a deal or trying to find somone dumb enough to trade youth for my vets. There is almost zero reason to trade youth for vets in this game.

So just let me vent and stop acting like you are in the same boat as me. I am frustrated in Mordecai as well. My team has been bounced in those playoffs as well for many years despite being on paper probably the best team. Maybe I don't optimize my lineups as well as you or Jeff do but thats where the burnout factor comes in again.

I want to cut back to 1 world and I think that is going to be Mordecai.

I think the biggest issue is the playoffs being such a huge crapshoot. Clearly you had the better team. Lots of playoff series are won by the "inferior" team. It actually turns out that this time, Jeff was the luckier team that wasn't as talent. Most of the other years, he overcame the RNG with superior talent. This time, he was better at rolling die.

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

EvilBeard posted:

I think the biggest issue is the playoffs being such a huge crapshoot. Clearly you had the better team. Lots of playoff series are won by the "inferior" team. It actually turns out that this time, Jeff was the luckier team that wasn't as talent. Most of the other years, he overcame the RNG with superior talent. This time, he was better at rolling die.

Yea I get that and its frustrating.

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

So stop presenting your frustrations and and personal preferences for the game as systemic problems with the world at large unless they actually are systemic problems with the world at large. Especially when shots are taken at people in the process, whether you intend to be taking them or not.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Here are my thoughts:

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah, believe it or not that really doesn't help.

Atheistdeals.com
Aug 2, 2004

Ignoring this current discussion, I think next season is make or break for me based on general boredom and possibly stupid changes that haven't been tested yet.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

AlleyViper posted:

Not mine.
Not Santa Fe
Not Colorado.
Not New Orleans.
Not Iowa.
Not Anaheim.
Not Gardenald's.
Not Portland during Murph's contention cycle.
Not Baltimore when quasimango was running that team.
etc.
etc.

I'd just like to add that even though Salem got a first overall pick, I inherited like one ML-quality player in Reggie Russell and held on to him until he was a husk of his former self and traded him for a ML pitcher, despite getting an offer from AV in like S18-19. I didn't jettison any better player than like, Virgil Cook during my rebuild.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

AlleyViper posted:

Yeah, believe it or not that really doesn't help.

I'm sorry if I am not helping but I am not going to take a somber serious note because I win too much at a stupid internet game.

I mean if I can't post shovel.gif, what point is there to life

Scrotos
Sep 8, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

I'm sorry if I am not helping but I am not going to take a somber serious note because I win too much at a stupid internet game.

It made me laugh.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.

jeffersonlives posted:

shovel.gif is fantastic and perfect

You're a fucker for beating me in the playoffs but you're a cool dude nonetheless

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

What is offense?

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

Shoutout to the other seven people who voted for Haywood for MVP

Special thumbs up to the two Hector Head voters

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

This is the first season since season 19 that a non-Salem, Anaheim or Cleveland pitcher won the NL CYA.

gyroball
Jul 29, 2003

Fortunately, the people found a mighty Rosenthal, called Trevor.

Seth :allears:

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Yay for Vladimir Thompson and Chick Wehner, Salem's Malone and Stockton, getting runner-ups.

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.
Rookie of the Year and a Cy Young :toot:

ThatsMyBoye
Nov 21, 2006

I wish that I believed in fate
I wish I didn't sleep so late
I used to be carried in the arms of cheerleaders
S32 might not be much of a step forward but at least it's an Elcano milestone-a-palooza.

3,000 IP (at 2,985.2)
400 GS (at 394)
200 W (at 198)
100 CG (at 94, world record is 97)
3,000 K (at 2,726)
40 CGSHO (at 36, already a world record)
300 QS (at 279)

Since I can't imagine ever getting a return I'd truly be ok with I'm probably just gonna keep him throughout the rest of his career (so I say now), and in losing seasons these things are nice.

Nerokerubina
Jun 7, 2007

I think swords are neat. Do you think swords are neat?!
i like HBD and it doesn't really upset me that there are other owners that are slightly better or slightly luckeir than i am.

yes, there could be better and far stricter rules against tanking but that is literally the exact opposite of the concept of a problem with jeff and AV

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Yasiel deserved more votes than that, assholes :mad:

The broken bones
Jan 3, 2008

Out beyond winning and losing, there is a field.

I will meet you there.
good ol chuck won al ROY, gently caress you henson

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Rob Dunn claimed on waivers just as my team is getting bad and the circle is complete

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
AV I've been telling you to trade me Derrick Graves for how many seasons now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlleyViper
Sep 15, 2007

Feel free to send me Rickey for him

• Locked thread