Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

enraged_camel posted:

Ward might eventually capture and brainwash him.

It's Tahiti all the way down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

XboxPants posted:

Yeah but Tahiti is pretty far from final. Coulson got tahiti'd and eventually just remembered everything on his own. The same thing could very easily happen to Cal if they ever get a chance to bring him back, and the writers have said as much. I agree it'd be cool to have him in prison with Skye theoretically visiting him occasionally, but if he can never actually appear on the show for that then that plot would kinda be pointless.

Remembered things on his own? Didn't he have to go through some kind of braingulation machine to draw the memories out of him?

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

They could just have like, Skye gets back to base and Fitz is like, how was your dad? and Skye is all, he's getting better, it was nice to talk to him.

That was a really interesting relationship, it was stupid to end it like that

No it wasn't stupid to end it like that it was just right. It leaves him in play if they have a reason to bring him back, but also a reason to leave him out. Having Skye visit him in prison every other week for a chat would be stupid. Having popular characters, bad guys at that, stick around for the sake of it is one of the reasons Arrow has been poorer this season - writers have to keep coming up with increasingly improbable reasons for them still to be around and its dumb.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Mr Beens posted:

No it wasn't stupid to end it like that it was just right. It leaves him in play if they have a reason to bring him back, but also a reason to leave him out. Having Skye visit him in prison every other week for a chat would be stupid. Having popular characters, bad guys at that, stick around for the sake of it is one of the reasons Arrow has been poorer this season - writers have to keep coming up with increasingly improbable reasons for them still to be around and its dumb.

See: Heroes.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

greatn posted:

Remembered things on his own? Didn't he have to go through some kind of braingulation machine to draw the memories out of him?

Yeah, Raina had him hooked up to that memory sucking device last season.

And on top of that Coulson was actively TRYING to remember due to all the weird alien poo poo

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Marvel, through their short MCU history has been very good at avoiding the power creep that plagues comic book and superhero shows. Shelving Cal, being willing to kill off nameless inhumans, killing quicksilver. Next season of Agents, with Skye collecting powered people is going to be interesting to see how they avoid getting out of hand.

I am banking on them having a strong tie to Civil War and I'm wondering if they adjust the season later so they can have more post civil war episodes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

kayakyakr posted:

Next season of Agents, with Skye collecting powered people is going to be interesting to see how they avoid getting out of hand.

Well, they're matching the creep of the team's power with the villains, thanks to the Fish Oil of Doom.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

kayakyakr posted:

Marvel, through their short MCU history has been very good at avoiding the power creep that plagues comic book and superhero shows. Shelving Cal, being willing to kill off nameless inhumans, killing quicksilver. Next season of Agents, with Skye collecting powered people is going to be interesting to see how they avoid getting out of hand.

I am banking on them having a strong tie to Civil War and I'm wondering if they adjust the season later so they can have more post civil war episodes.

I remember in the comics Stark and Shield had cobbled together some group of replacement heroes who were all trained the way they want. That might make sense. But I agree, now that the show is really holding it's own, I suspect it's going to have even stronger movie tie ins.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Mr Beens posted:

I didn't say every week. And Cal isn't a bad guy. Merlyn crashing on the main character's couch didn't work because he was still supposed to be menacing. And he's not in play, they can't just bring him back for a quick cameo. Un-TAHITI-ing him would be a big traumatic deal.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

kayakyakr posted:

What I hate is other than Loki, Nebula, Abomination, and Sam Rockwell; they've been a little too kill happy with the villains, especially involving HYDRA, I mean sure Zola could have probably survive with a back up, but it was really lame how they punk out Strucker just to make Ultron look "dangerous" unless of course that was a body double. Really I just hope they didn't use AIM for Iron Man III just because its a thing from the comics, I want MODOK drat it and the Beekeeper Suits!!! :argh:

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

boom boom boom posted:

I didn't say every week. And Cal isn't a bad guy. Merlyn crashing on the main character's couch didn't work because he was still supposed to be menacing. And he's not in play, they can't just bring him back for a quick cameo. Un-TAHITI-ing him would be a big traumatic deal.

Cal is a bad guy, just a sympathetic one.
He murdered dozens of people, threatened to kill a whole town, was intending to kill all of SHIELD, allied himself with HYDRA etc.
Just because he is a cool character that doesn't mean it is automatically a good idea to keep him on the show. Good writers know when to stick with their initial ideas and not stretch things out for sentimental or personal reasons.

Similar to this is people bitching about the death of a certain popular character at the end of last seasons game of thrones. People were actually complaining that they "killed off a popular character for shock reasons only - he was popular and a good character so they should have let him stay". Apart from the fact that it was all filmed before the character was even introduced, the death of the character was part of the planned narrative and core to the ongoing events. No just save him because nerds on the internet like him.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Mr Beens posted:

He murdered dozens of people, threatened to kill a whole town, was intending to kill all of SHIELD, allied himself with HYDRA etc.
Just because he is a cool character that doesn't mean it is automatically a good idea to keep him on the show. Good writers know when to stick with their initial ideas and not stretch things out for sentimental or personal reasons.

Case in point:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hk_wDY-cAlM

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Phylodox posted:

I got bored.

I call it "May's Lullaby".

please do more of these, as many as you can before your will to live is crushed

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

achillesforever6 posted:

What I hate is other than Loki, Nebula, Abomination, and Sam Rockwell; they've been a little too kill happy with the villains, especially involving HYDRA, I mean sure Zola could have probably survive with a back up, but it was really lame how they punk out Strucker just to make Ultron look "dangerous" unless of course that was a body double. Really I just hope they didn't use AIM for Iron Man III just because its a thing from the comics, I want MODOK drat it and the Beekeeper Suits!!! :argh:

That's probably Marvel's biggest weakness: they've managed good, deeper heroes, but their villains have generally been flavor of the month. We introduce and defeat the villain all in one movie/episode/story arc. Loki and Cal have been some of the few exceptions, with Cal extending over the whole season and Loki being a repeat antagonist.

This is one of the reasons that Fisk in Daredevil was also a breath of fresh air. He was a legitimately interesting antagonist and I hope they can keep that sort of thing going in future seasons. And other series properties.

Curious if they ever give any sort of character growth to Thanos beyond evil dude that wants to control the infinity stones/universe. They have a Thor movie and a Guardians movie to do so before Infinity Wars comes out.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I still have no idea why he killed the cool electricity lady from Assassin's Creed.

Or what the gently caress was up with evil twin ice lady.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

boom boom boom posted:

I miss Skye's cowl neck SHIELD suit from the beginning of season 2. I wish they had kept that.

THAT'S NOT ITS NAME!!

It's a tactilneck. It's like you've never even seen Archer.

greatn posted:

Sif actually has a pretty decent reason to be on Earth too. With Loki ruling Asgard he probably wants Thor and his closest friends there as little as possible. So he'd be like "Lady Sif, while Thor investigates the infinity stones you are to go protect midgard and investigate for signs of invasion."

As awesome as this would be, Jaime Alexander is also potentially going to be very busy now with her own series this fall.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Tactiscarf

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

howe_sam posted:

Tactiscarf

Tactiskye

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ensign_Ricky posted:

more like a tactical onesie

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Technically it's a tactisnood.

(thanks Comrade Fakename)

edit: Also I guess it's apparently a real thing

http://www.vipertacticalshop.co.uk/viper-tactical-snood-v-cam.html
http://www.banggood.com/Multi-Camouflage-Scarf-Cycling-Bike-Neck-Face-Mask-Hat-Cap-Headwear-p-921156.html

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 22:36 on May 17, 2015

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Ninja masks are the best thing when it's cold or you're in a desert or if you just want to hide your face so someone else gets assigned a detail

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Ensign_Ricky posted:

As awesome as this would be, Jaime Alexander is also potentially going to be very busy now with her own series this fall.
Well in that case is Zachary Levi busy at the moment?

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
e: ^^^ not to override the rest of my post, but Heroes: Reborn is his current big project.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

You know, people say this a lot when talking about an actor/actress, but really, how often is this actually the case? It's not uncommon for an actor to do a TV series and a few movies and maybe a guest spot or two. Most of these shows are filmed in the same spot, so even someone with a busy shooting schedule can fit some other project in.

kayakyakr fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 17, 2015

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

kayakyakr posted:

e: ^^^ not to override the rest of my post, but Heroes: Reborn is his current big project.

You know, people say this a lot when talking about an actor/actress, but really, how often is this actually the case? It's not uncommon for an actor to do a TV series and a few movies and maybe a guest spot or two. Most of these shows are filmed in the same spot, so even someone with a busy shooting schedule can fit some other project in.

For Daredevil, supposedly that's why Rosario Dawson's character suddenly disappears halfway through the season despite being awesome.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

achillesforever6 posted:

Well in that case is Zachary Levi busy at the moment?

Hey, I'd be happy if they brought back Peter MacNicol.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Its kinda funny to see how many people are going "what? Fish oil is going to give people super powers? That's so stupid!". I took it has part joke part showing that terregin stuff is entering the food chain. I mean they might as well ended it with smash zooms and pizzicato violins.

Also, Chole Bennett is extremely adorable.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Going through Season 1 again, and just realized May foreshadows "Melinda" in "Yes Men" :

"When you're up against people who are being controlled...sometimes it's hard to distinguish friend from foe."

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

kayakyakr posted:

This is one of the reasons that Fisk in Daredevil was also a breath of fresh air. He was a legitimately interesting antagonist and I hope they can keep that sort of thing going in future seasons. And other series properties.

Fisk was great because he was very human and honestly believed he was doing everything for the greater good. He was a great foil for Murdock who was trying to do good but felt he was making it worse.

EDIT: I guess Fisk and Cal have that going for them. They're villains with motivations we can somewhat sympathize with. We all know Cal was a bad guy but due to his motivation I think everyone wanted the poor bastard to find some peace.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Mr Beens posted:

Similar to this is people bitching about the death of a certain popular character at the end of last seasons game of thrones. People were actually complaining that they "killed off a popular character for shock reasons only - he was popular and a good character so they should have let him stay". Apart from the fact that it was all filmed before the character was even introduced, the death of the character was part of the planned narrative and core to the ongoing events. No just save him because nerds on the internet like him.

I don't anything about The Game of Thrones so I didn't follow that second paragraph at all.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Ensign_Ricky posted:

THAT'S NOT ITS NAME!!

Do you seriously not know the difference between a turtleneck and a cowl neck?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Mr Beens posted:

This is by far my biggest gripe with Arrow: the writers seem utterly incapable of writing off characters.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

enraged_camel posted:

This is by far my biggest gripe with Arrow: the writers seem utterly incapable of writing off characters.

They didn't have a problem with awesome original Count Vertigo. Tons of people, actually... this inability to move on is new this season, isn't it?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

XboxPants posted:

They didn't have a problem with awesome original Count Vertigo. Tons of people, actually... this inability to move on is new this season, isn't it?

I think so.

Honestly I'm surprised they haven't brought back Crybaby Tommy yet.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Arrow almost feels like they changed the writing staff. Which may be possible because didn't a lot of people move to Flash? Which is by far the superior show.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
I had classes in college with the actor who plays Teenage Grant Ward, I found out today. That's pretty neat.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Neowyrm posted:

I had classes in college with the actor who plays Teenage Grant Ward, I found out today. That's pretty neat.

Kiss his inoffensively handsome face.

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
I liked how this season Fitz started with needing people to finish his own sentences for him and ended with him annoyingly finishing Hunter's sentences for him. I'm pretty sure Fitz's brain damage is either repaired or he has adapted to it so well that he is just as effective as he was before, he just needs to use different thought processes to get there.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Fitz is so cool. I hated his stupid pointless rear end in the first season but by the end of season 2 he was a great chracter. Simmons did not become a good character but the at least gave her the gimmicks of being a really good deep cover spy for some reason.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
He tried to use his stupd CGI quad copters once in Season 2 and they loving broke immediately because they were terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Your opinions about Season 1 Fitz are all wrong, hth

• Locked thread