Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I'm looking for security cameras. Ideally I'd like somewhere around 4-6 cameras that I can access online. Not really too concerned with video quality, I just want to generally see what's going on in my business when I'm not around. Prefer WiFi capability since I don't want to string literally hundreds of feet of Ethernet, but that's not super important. Obviously cheaper is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I doubt you're going to find anything that has usable quality video over WiFi that is cheap, and even then WiFi isn't the best medium for that many cameras - it works on a time-based transmit schedule and the more devices you have the less time each device has to transmit...not good for real-time applications. You'd probably want to set up multiple access points for just the cameras to make it work. And even then, pulling cables to power PoE cameras will probably work better unless you already have a bunch of outlets where the cameras need to be.

A friend of mine does bookkeeping and IT for his father's business...he deployed several Ubiquiti UniFi IP cameras. They include a fairly powerful software suite that includes motion-based activation.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I'm not necessarily all that interested in video quality, it's mostly to be used as peace of mind since a whole lot of bums have recently decided to invade my area of town. So while I don't really give a poo poo if they go dumpster diving, I'd really like to be able to see if anybody actually breaks into our warehouse.

Secondarily I'd like to be able to tell what's going on in my warehouse when I'm not around. Don't need to really have great video quality since I know who is working when, but it'd be nice to be able to see where people are at and if they're actually being productive.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
It's not so much an actual quality issue as without sufficient wireless infrastructure you'll have video lag or the stream failing outright. You'd have to have some very high end access points with a load balancing system in place to be able to handle 6 simultaneous video streams. Your average SOHO wireless gateway just won't be able to handle the load.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Anyone know anything about camp/freeze dried/MRE/Emergency foods? I'm looking to take a vacation up to a cousins cabin over the summer for a month and this is the easiest way to have a readily available supply of food (without driving 2-4 hours to the nearest town).

Looking around there's a bunch of different companies. Any that are know to be good/bad?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Mountain House is not bad as far as those things go. I've never had an MRE I liked. I would consider using the freeze dried stuff as backup as much as possible, a month eating it would be pretty demoralizing.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

taqueso posted:

Mountain House is not bad as far as those things go. I've never had an MRE I liked. I would consider using the freeze dried stuff as backup as much as possible, a month eating it would be pretty demoralizing.

I'd have some access to fresh food, It's just a hike and a half. Also some hunting to supply fresh meat.

Cosmic Charlie
Apr 6, 2009

How do you do? Truckin' in style along the avenue

Inspector 34 posted:

I'm not necessarily all that interested in video quality, it's mostly to be used as peace of mind since a whole lot of bums have recently decided to invade my area of town. So while I don't really give a poo poo if they go dumpster diving, I'd really like to be able to see if anybody actually breaks into our warehouse.

Secondarily I'd like to be able to tell what's going on in my warehouse when I'm not around. Don't need to really have great video quality since I know who is working when, but it'd be nice to be able to see where people are at and if they're actually being productive.

I just set up an 8 camera zmodo system in a bar and the owner and I can check whats going on in there at any time from our cell phones, its connected to an apple airport extreme router, I imagine it'd work just fine with most consumer grade routers and a broadband connection.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Cosmic Charlie posted:

I just set up an 8 camera zmodo system in a bar and the owner and I can check whats going on in there at any time from our cell phones, its connected to an apple airport extreme router, I imagine it'd work just fine with most consumer grade routers and a broadband connection.

Are these demand based (only active when you dial in) or are they constantly feeding data to a central server? I'd be stunned if a consumer grade access point/wireless gateway could sustain 8 video feeds (in addition to other potential traffic from normal clients) unless the cameras are running in 56k level resolution or else are only capturing 1 frame every half second.

Cosmic Charlie
Apr 6, 2009

Geoj posted:

Are these demand based (only active when you dial in) or are they constantly feeding data to a central server? I'd be stunned if a consumer grade access point/wireless gateway could sustain 8 video feeds (in addition to other potential traffic from normal clients) unless the cameras are running in 56k level resolution or else are only capturing 1 frame every half second.

The one I put in has a central hub that the cameras plug into and has a hard drive that the video is saved to, the moble app lets us switch from camera to camera and view its live feed over a data connection. Im only ever looking at one single live feed so I guess the loads not that bad, maybe 100-200kbs, I'll check here in a bit and report back.

They have several models with various hd capacities, but to be honest it might not be the best product for a large scale operation, that post was asking for the features we got so I thought I'd throw it out there

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I just don't think WiFi is going to be viable for what he's trying to do unless he's willing to set up multiple dedicated APs. Which, arguably, could be easier (but probably not cheaper) than pulling UTP cable for each camera.

But even then how are you going to power them?

Cosmic Charlie
Apr 6, 2009

Heres an idea of what im looking at

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Who's got a screen protector that they particularly like for a Galaxy S tablet (10.5"), or a brand of screen protectors they prefer?

Cosmic Charlie
Apr 6, 2009

Geoj posted:

I just don't think WiFi is going to be viable for what he's trying to do unless he's willing to set up multiple dedicated APs. Which, arguably, could be easier (but probably not cheaper) than pulling UTP cable for each camera.

But even then how are you going to power them?

Each camera in the system is connected with two wires, a video and a power. The power comes from a squid cable that plugs into a 120v outlet, the video goes to the hub and the power to the squid.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Cosmic Charlie posted:

Each camera in the system is connected with two wires, a video and a power. The power comes from a squid cable that plugs into a 120v outlet, the video goes to the hub and the power to the squid.

Oh - now I understand the confusion. The individual cameras you're using are wired to a central device and you're accessing the feeds/recordings via WiFi. What I'm talking about is an IP camera that connects to a server or workstation acting as a server over WiFi.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 05:08 on May 8, 2015

Cosmic Charlie
Apr 6, 2009

Geoj posted:

Oh - now I understand the confusion. The individual cameras you're using are wired to a central device and you're accessing the feeds/recordings via WiFi. What I'm talking about is an IP camera that connects to a server or workstation acting as a server over WiFi.

Yeah I couldnt tell you anything about that, I only know about this because it was already bought when they brought me on and they needed it hooked up :shrug:

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Only reason that I prefer wireless is that my project will be in a warehouse and I don't feel like stringing hundreds of feet of cat5. I didn't think about the bandwidth necessary to stream that much video though, so maybe I'll go with wires after all. Also our only options for internet access are DSL and I guess maybe satellite internet so streaming 4-8 video feeds will probably be out of the question.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Those ubiquiti cameras I suggested have a very nice software suite. You can set them up for motion activated recording and then specify areas within the camera's FoV where motion will be ignored (say, if traffic on the street is triggering a recording.) IR for low-light recording and surprisingly good audio to boot.

When you set it up for motion activated recording the system will present a list of recordings for review and you can specify how long to continue capture after the motion ceases, I would have to imagine remote viewing of short video clips would be possible over your connection, but yeah, you probably don't have enough upstream to support a live stream.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 20:14 on May 8, 2015

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

I don't know about their cameras, but Ubiqiti's wifi access points are really good. Great management system.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Does anyone have advice on shop vacs? My wife wants one she can use to clean out the car or vacuum an outdoor patio, and would like it to be both wet & dry friendly. It's for home use, so I don't know how large it needs to be. (Ideally it'd be small enough that I can easily drag it up and down stairs)

colas
Feb 14, 2007

[ mopping ] I'm using the wrong poo poo on my tile. I mopped with bleach + water and it left a film and then I tried Fabuloso + bleach + water and it left a film. Should I just say gently caress it and use a Swiffer? I like using hot water and a bucket and everything but I keep leaving residue behind.

edit - got a Swiffer, floor is still filmy, I give up for now. Anyway, who makes the best hot dog buns?

colas has a new favorite as of 13:59 on May 14, 2015

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I need recs for a microwave under £100 ($150). I'm toying with the idea of getting one with a grill as well, but I don't know if they're any good.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

colas posted:

[ mopping ] I'm using the wrong poo poo on my tile. I mopped with bleach + water and it left a film and then I tried Fabuloso + bleach + water and it left a film. Should I just say gently caress it and use a Swiffer? I like using hot water and a bucket and everything but I keep leaving residue behind

Dude, NEVER mix cleaning products. I don't know off-hand the main ingredient of Fabuloso, but there are several ones that react very badly with bleach, ammonia probably being the worst.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

Chas McGill posted:

I need recs for a microwave under £100 ($150). I'm toying with the idea of getting one with a grill as well, but I don't know if they're any good.

Panasonic, hands down. I'm not sure you can good a good combo toaster oven/microwave for that price. It's been a couple years since I was looking, maybe they are cheaper now.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:

Chas McGill posted:

Colleges are getting out right around this time if you aren't above scavenging

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Go to a thrift store or a college campus. Microwaves are pretty easy to come by second hand.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Those are good ideas. Graduation dates are in the middle of June here so I expect a few people will be preparing to move already.

I am still open to suggestions for a fancy one that doubles as a grill, though!

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I live in New England where we're punished by a God who dumps snow and ice on us for like 10 months a year. I just bought a new car, so I want some heavy duty floor mats. I've heard a lot of suggestions on the forums years ago. Any good recommendations?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Tim Whatley posted:

I live in New England where we're punished by a God who dumps snow and ice on us for like 10 months a year. I just bought a new car, so I want some heavy duty floor mats. I've heard a lot of suggestions on the forums years ago. Any good recommendations?

Weather tec or whatever the actual name is got touted quite a bit in the PYF Recent Purchase thread last month and had a few pages of "me too"s.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Tim Whatley posted:

http://www.weathertech.com/

e;fb

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

That's what it was. Thanks guys!

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
Any suggestions for good indoor soccer shoes? I'm probably just going to go to Sports Authority if there's nothing really good on Amazon.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
I rock my sambas but I play in an adult coed league, very low competition.

Anything Nike/Adidas should be fine, they're all made by the same underage children in some third world country anyway.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

colas posted:

[ mopping ] I'm using the wrong poo poo on my tile. I mopped with bleach + water and it left a film and then I tried Fabuloso + bleach + water and it left a film. Should I just say gently caress it and use a Swiffer? I like using hot water and a bucket and everything but I keep leaving residue behind.

edit - got a Swiffer, floor is still filmy, I give up for now.

You can try using both the wet and dry Swiffers, I've used them in my kitchen and bathroom and they're pretty good. Worst case, dampen a dry Swiffer cloth to get rid of the residue afterward if it's an issue for you.

Also from my last request, searched around and found a really good Bissell carpet cleaner this weekend. Spent the better part of yesterday rearranging furniture, vacuuming and running the Bissell over some problem areas by the front door where there was a lot of grime. Goddamn is this thing awesome, only gripe is it sometimes leaves dirty carpet fiber stuff behind but it's relatively easy to clean and maintain. Carpets feel really new, decent investment at $150 for it and some cleaner. :)

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I am in search of a good headlamp. I want something simple, just off/bright/dim, don't want or need red or blinking lights. I really want something that has a firm enough switch that it will not turn on in my bag. Also needs to be less then $50 cuz I need to buy like 4 of them.

I found a Fenix Light one that I loved but now, 2 years after buying 5 of them, they are all starting to fail.

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

Does anyone have any brand or model suggestions for a garment steamer? Handheld or the standup ones, either is fine. I don't have a budget or limit, but I want to hear if anyone thinks a $200 one is better than a $100 one or a $30 one. My parents got one recently but I've only used it like twice.

Chinaman7000 has a new favorite as of 16:07 on Jun 1, 2015

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Is there a "go to" recommended model/brand for serpentine/fan belts? Or at least one to avoid?

Judging by the sound it's making, it's high time I replaced the one in my 03 Corolla, and I don't want to get one that's cheap and will break/wear out sooner, but at the same time don't want to overpay for something if I don't have to.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

DrBouvenstein posted:

Is there a "go to" recommended model/brand for serpentine/fan belts? Or at least one to avoid?

Judging by the sound it's making, it's high time I replaced the one in my 03 Corolla, and I don't want to get one that's cheap and will break/wear out sooner, but at the same time don't want to overpay for something if I don't have to.

Just don't buy the cheapest option, although to be honest accessory belts aren't exactly complicated and longevity was nailed down years ago. If you're buying off of rock auto I'd go with one of the intermediate choices - something from Gates, Dayco or Goodyear would be a safe bet.

While you're at it might want to replace the tensioner and idler pullies. Depending on the engine it's also customary to do the water pump with the belt, but I'm not familiar enough with Toyotas to know if the pump drives off the accessory or timing belt. Speaking of (the timing belt) you may also want to do that/have that done if it's still running on the factory-installed belt.

e: you may want to go ask in the AI stupid questions thread about what else you should do while replacing the belt, I'm sure someone will be knowledgeable about Toyotas.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 20:49 on Jun 1, 2015

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

Well, I know my car has a timing chain, not a belt, so that part is ok.

But I'll pop into AI and see what they say.

Unrelated:
I'm thinking about getting a mechanical keyboard. From the reading I've done online, I'm 80-90% sure something with Cherry MX Brown is what I want. I would hate the "clicky"-ness of the blue/green.

is it worth it go get one of those little switch sampler thingies for like $15 first, though?

And after I figure out what one I like, what's a good model for a budget of ~$100-$150? Keeping in mind, I'll probably get one with Browns, or if they use a non-Cherry switch, one that would feel like a Brown. I need it to be full-sized, and preferably not a "gaming" one, as it's for work, so I want it to look at least a little bit professional.

Edit: Maybe I should just go ask in the keyboard thread in SH/SC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

I really like my Corsair K70 with browns. Just turn off the silly backlighting and it looks like a plain black keyboard.