Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

PierreTheMime posted:

Considering this is a Forgeworld formation you really shouldn't freak out too much. Forgeworld has been releasing various utterly broken stuff for years, including a previous release of a Drop Pod that allows assaults on the turn it arrives.

Said drop pod was VERY popular for 2-3 years at adepticon. Not much you can do against it. Then again it is fun seeing all the trends pop up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Strength of Many posted:

'... But because Daemonkin sold well, lets give Khorne Berzerkers a drop pod that you can assault from and does S:D on vehicles and buildings instead of mishapping!'

gently caress off.

If you look at the huge diorama/display, there's drop pods hitting Titans and buildings and poo poo, it just looks awesome.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-9hzEGHUqDwA/VVeEn57D-GI/AAAAAAAAz6k/3rgvnbXiFig/w830-h553-no/IMG_4278.JPG

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-x-DukzKiAmQ/VVeFJyDoolI/AAAAAAAAz-Q/2zV4z33x678/w830-h553-no/IMG_4468.JPG

And who knows, in a couple of years (when the big display is replaced) they'll have a new major display and presumably a new campaign book, maybe it'll be Nids versus something else.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

AbusePuppy posted:

You could use the UM doctrine to make them Relentless that turn if you wanted.

Specifically says you can't do this in the SM codex.

As for the Devastators, you don't have to give them heavy weapons. They could just be regular Marines, and run Tactical Doctrine to make them re-roll 1's.

The real rub for that formation is Assault Marines are coming without their packs, because they lose them to go into a pod in the first place. That being said you would be fielding an entire Space Marine Company for the cheap. Adding it up it comes out to less than 2,000 points with no special weapons. You could be king dick-head and put flamers in every squad just to up the level of "how many loving Str 4 ap 5" hits can I heap on my enemy?

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 17, 2015

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ignite Memories posted:

Yeah, it was quite a ways away. He does have a car, though. I floated Pandemonium as an idea of where to play, because that's sort of in between the three of us. But I'm assuming they do not allow beer? Maybe we should make some tropicana screwdrivers or something.

I find that alcohol goes a long way towards forging the narrative.
Booze forges narratives better than any rulebook can hope to. Pandemonium is a decent space with lots of terrain, but it's super loud, super crowded, the clientele are pretty hard to stand and they'll get pissed at you for playing there if you're not in their club. I doubt they'd let booze in since it's a retail establishment, but sneaking in screwdrivers would make that space way more enjoyable. I wouldn't mind getting over to Dorchester though, an hour of walking and taking the train isn't the worst thing in the world. Does he have much for terrain?

Lord Twisted posted:

:siren: New blog post + battle report :siren:
You've got a fun formula for putting together battle reports. You guys are doing hams right. The frequent use of Dawn of War quotes is appreciated also.

TheChirurgeon posted:

This is p. sweet. I'm glad I just started my Daemonkin army. Time to get a Kharybdis or two.

Speaking of which, I now have five berserkers done. Another 5 and a Rhino til I'm done with the squad.

These are really sharp looking. That's a lovely red on them.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

TheChirurgeon posted:

If anyone should get it though, it should be the followers of Khorne. The God of Skulls, War, and Bloodshed. All Glory to the Blood God!

PS gently caress you and your inbred purple gene stealing alien shitbirds

Check your privilege, I think you'll find that a bunch of dudes with 3+ saves do not need to assault from reserves, and that the fragile sneaky tyranids that are basically ALL ABOUT surprise attacks should.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I have always thought it pretty ridiculous that a drop pod CANNOT land on an enemy unit. Surely if it pummelled down and scattered filthy Xenos everywhere when it landed that would be a bonus to the machine spirit that's controlling it.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

SRM posted:

Booze forges narratives better than any rulebook can hope to. Pandemonium is a decent space with lots of terrain, but it's super loud, super crowded, the clientele are pretty hard to stand and they'll get pissed at you for playing there if you're not in their club. I doubt they'd let booze in since it's a retail establishment, but sneaking in screwdrivers would make that space way more enjoyable. I wouldn't mind getting over to Dorchester though, an hour of walking and taking the train isn't the worst thing in the world. Does he have much for terrain?

You've got a fun formula for putting together battle reports. You guys are doing hams right. The frequent use of Dawn of War quotes is appreciated also.

These are really sharp looking. That's a lovely red on them.

Thanks! The red is a 3-step process. I do a base coat of Khorne Red, followed by a semi-drybrushed coat of Mephiston Red, then a drybrushed coat of Evil Sunz Scarlet. I do edging and highlights with Evil Sunz Scarlet as well, or a mix of Evil Sunz and Jokaero Orange if I need to go even lighter. Then I do my regular biz on the gold/bone. The red looks pretty good, if a bit bright in person, but I wanted to differentiate it a bit from the darker/more magenta red of my Word Bearers army.

Ignite Memories posted:

Check your privilege, I think you'll find that a bunch of dudes with 3+ saves do not need to assault from reserves, and that the fragile sneaky tyranids that are basically ALL ABOUT surprise attacks should.

Oh gently caress off with this Tyranid Justice Warrior poo poo. Tyranidism is just a way of subjugating and exploiting Marine armies. *Puts on skull fedora*

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 22:28 on May 17, 2015

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Ignite Memories posted:

No kidding. Hormagaunts and Genestealers need to have a special rule that allows them to assault after coming out of reserves AND after running. If they could do those things they'd be good, but they'd still not be that good. Not sure if they should be allowed to assault out of a Tyrannocite. It sure would be sweet if they could.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Reynold posted:

How do you run dat blob? In keeping with the Steel Legion theme, my 1500 point army's blob is 3 squads with meltas, krak grenades, and lascannons with Yarrick leading. I find that even if they don't actually kill much, they provide sufficient area denial and soak up enough fire for my other units to get the job done.

I ran 30 with 3 autocannons behind a Defense Line with a quad gun and a commissar. Their big contribution was making it impossible for him to flank my tanks via webway portals and sit on an objective. I figured he was going to have a lot of raiders and/or venoms, but he had none, so they took potshots at the Talos and Cronos until the MC's ran and hid, and then everything else was out of LOS or range.

When I get lascannons done I might sub out the autocannons, but right now I run them with either autocannons to take down transcports or flamers to defend against charges. Another great move with them is to tarpit stuff. Badass MC? charge it, let's see you try to get through 31 wounds of basically fearless guardsmen before the game ends, Trygon!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

ineptmule posted:

I have always thought it pretty ridiculous that a drop pod CANNOT land on an enemy unit. Surely if it pummelled down and scattered filthy Xenos everywhere when it landed that would be a bonus to the machine spirit that's controlling it.
I love doing it too much in the Dawn of War games, it's pretty disappointing that you can't do it in the actual game. I understand why from a balance perspective, but rule of cool and all that. Same with deep striking Land Raiders - that should Tank Shock the absolute poo poo out of anything it lands on.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Oh gently caress off with this Tyranid Justice Warrior poo poo. Tyranidism is just a way of subjugating and exploiting Marine armies. *Puts on skull fedora*
I tip my skull fedora to you, fellow Marine's Rights Activist!
*tips skull fedora*
M'lictor

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

SRM posted:

M'lictor

goddamn

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Master Twig posted:

No kidding. Hormagaunts and Genestealers need to have a special rule that allows them to assault after coming out of reserves AND after running. If they could do those things they'd be good, but they'd still not be that good. Not sure if they should be allowed to assault out of a Tyrannocite. It sure would be sweet if they could.

Hormies are a shoe in for the +3" movement abilities. Dunewalker / whatever the banshees get.

But really it's about ethics in alien invasions.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Strength of Many
Jan 13, 2012

The butthurt is the life... and it shall be mine.

Master Twig posted:

Genestealers straight up assault out of Outflank/Reserves. That is the only real change you'd need to make them viable. Maybe bullshit in a way for them to have Assault Grenades.

Hormagaunts should have their old school style Leap. Or make them Beasts. Or both.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

drgnvale posted:

Yeah, the people I was playing with didn't buy that argument. I suspect warhammer 40k might actually be a good game if GW would outsource the editing and proofreading to a competent person, but I've given up hope for that.

Maybe the ITC faq will be updated for daemonkin issues (and the eldar rulings) at some point.

Point out to them the line where it explicitly says that Blood Tithe happens at the beginning of the turn, not during the movement phase.

Uroboros posted:

Specifically says you can't do this in the SM codex.

Oh, right. I forgot they had a special clause on that one to make sure it was useless. :\

Hot.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Why this Marines Right Activists thinks that the new Mad Mork movie is pushing the Sisters of Battle agenda on what should be a Boyz film.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mango Polo posted:

Stormbird rules:

FW making its own range of paints. I guess they got tired of "okay mix half and half of these two, then add a third of that, plus a drop of your own blood, and apply. That's your basecoat, now make another fifty mixes."
I don't see a Thousand Sons red, so gently caress FW.

The Khorne Knight is so much better than the skull dozer. It beats the new chaos knight in my opinion. The Stormbird has some pretty fun rules and would make for a centerpiece for an interesting air cav army, depending on the legion.

I don't expect much out of the new paints though. There are lots of great paints on the market already. Knowing GWs price point, these will be more expensive than what already exists for the same quality. Maybe we'll get some cool colors, but why bother when you can just make your own.

ijyt posted:

Bulbasaur these transfers are rad as gently caress:

These are pretty neat! I'm already making mine though. FW is 3 years late if it wanted to make money off me.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

I haven't played much since 4th before getting back into it late last year. I've played some friendly games but there are a few things I'm unclear on.

- So you cannot charge if you fire a rapid fire weapon now?

- If you have a pistol + CC weapon, and your base attack is 1, is that 1+1 (charging) + 2 (CC plus pistol) for 4 attacks?

- When shooting a vehicle, for example his Zoanthrope against my Sentinel- it was S10. so when he hits and rolls 1D6, and since the side armor is 10 it's an auto-pen hit, right?

- Do you need to declare deny the witch before the other player rolls for it to pass?

- When during a turn do you issue orders (imperial guard)?

- Can the HWT deploy independently of the platoon?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I omitted the answers that I don't know.

OhDearGodNo posted:

- So you cannot charge if you fire a rapid fire weapon now?
Correct.

quote:

- If you have a pistol + CC weapon, and your base attack is 1, is that 1+1 (charging) + 2 (CC plus pistol) for 4 attacks?
No, it should be 1 (profile) + 1 (charging) +1 (second weapon) = 3 attacks.

quote:

- When shooting a vehicle, for example his Zoanthrope against my Sentinel- it was S10. so when he hits and rolls 1D6, and since the side armor is 10 it's an auto-pen hit, right?
Assuming that the Zoanthrope shot the side armor, yes.

quote:

- Do you need to declare deny the witch before the other player rolls for it to pass?
No. You only need to declare deny the witch if the power passes in the first place.

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

I would sell all four of my Imperial Knights today and buy four drop pods @ full GW price tomorrow if Blood Angels got the D Strength impact and being able to assault from them...

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think it's important to note that the Kharybdis getting immobilized when making that attack might actually matter. It's some sort of weird drop pod/flyer thing. I have no idea if the loss of flight neuters it or not since I've never actually seen one. It's probably worth it just for the :black101:

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Just saw Fury Road. I'm so glad I already play Orks, because I would have wanted to start an Ork army after seeing it.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
My usual opponent suggested we try a 5000 point game, my Blood Angels versus his Tau. The largest game we've played so far is 2500 points.

Basically, what am I in for? My gut instinct is that it will take 6-8 hours and be a complete mess. I mean do you still play for objectives? Play until one person has no models left? Or do you just see who gives up first?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

OhDearGodNo posted:

- When during a turn do you issue orders (imperial guard)?

- Can the HWT deploy independently of the platoon?

-The sequence is, in essence, first the player rolls dice to cast a spell; then, if Perils of the Warp occurred, they roll to see what its effects are; then, the opposing player rolls any Deny attempts as appropriate.

-Orders are always issued at the beginning of the shooting phase, before any other shooting occurs. You resolve each Order one at a time until you're done with all of them, then you move on to "regular" shooting.

-Heavy Weapon Teams bought as an upgrade for an Infantry Squad must remain part of that squad- however, you also have the option of purchasing Heavy Weapons Squads, which each consist of three HWT, and these are not part of the Infantry Squads.

Arven posted:

Just saw Fury Road. I'm so glad I already play Orks, because I would have wanted to start an Ork army after seeing it.

I... I'm probably going to start an "Ork" army because of that movie. :smith: It's so good.

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

My usual opponent suggested we try a 5000 point game, my Blood Angels versus his Tau. The largest game we've played so far is 2500 points.

Basically, what am I in for? My gut instinct is that it will take 6-8 hours and be a complete mess. I mean do you still play for objectives? Play until one person has no models left? Or do you just see who gives up first?

Typically the Apocalypse rules are best for games played at 3000pts or more, although you don't actually need to use them. You almost certainly want to use a larger board than normal (I would suggest a 4x10 or so for that size of game, or perhaps 6x8 if that's easier) or else things will feel insanely crowded. If you don't use Apocalypse, playing "double" missions would be recommended to keep the game interesting- in essence, roll up (or pick) two missions and run them both side-by-side so that all of the units have something to do and you're not just dogpiling on 1-3 objective markers in the center of the board.

6-8 hrs is a pretty good estimate for time for that big of a fight. You'll definitely want to take a lunch break in the middle of it unless you're some kind of marathon man. Apocalypse actually takes the interesting tack of playing to a time limit, not a turn limit, which might be helpful as well- though of course you'll want to make sure both players end up taking an equal number of turns if you do it that way.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ask your friend, obviously!
If both of you are playing it out of the blue, I would suggest not to unless you discuss it first. You will probably need a much bigger board. I usually like scattered objectives that give some sort of bonus: like an orbital bombardment if you capture the relay, or void shields as long as the generator isn't destroyed. Try to have one giant meat grinder in the middle and use terrain to block off smaller areas that the objectives sit. That way you can have a "game within the game".

Otherwise yeah, if it is anything like most of the Apoc games I've seen it will be on planet bowling ball against 5000 points of Tau guns pointing straight at you. That will end about as fun as you think.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

You can definitely play standard missions but you might want to look into the apocalypse rules for a game that big.

it'll definitely take a longer time but, at that points level, there's also a lot more firepower on the table so there will be a lot of death in the first turns.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Hixson posted:

New deamonkin stuff is leaked. Looks pretty rad: StrD drop pod impacts, assaulting from reserves

http://m.imgur.com/a/UAYmz

Sorry for the link, on mobile

The Fisting: Khorne In The poo poo

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
The Zerkers+Drop pod is cool, and very, very strong. Hell, Cato and his company need 2500+ points worth of stuff to do that.

But the other stuff is...really lame. Needs bizarre amounts of big models to work, and at that point level they'll likely be point-and-clicked away by Knights, Wraithknights and massed Necron fire. Seems that they thought "Ehh, make them buy 8 of something and call it a formation" and that was it.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You guys give me a robo-boner and stop posting huge, stonking robutts!? Shame on you all!!!

This pose is both silly and awesome in equal measure!
http://www.coolminiornot.com/340810?browseid=6646673

"I am tall and also, scaley!"
http://www.coolminiornot.com/366583

And the rest, because i'm not creative...
http://www.coolminiornot.com/375312?browseid=11498363

http://www.coolminiornot.com/354112?browseid=12112143

http://www.coolminiornot.com/358973?browseid=12112143

http://www.coolminiornot.com/363785?browseid=12112143

http://www.coolminiornot.com/358295?browseid=12112143

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
God drat that paintjob makes me want a lancer:

Too bad he didn't highlight the brass and got sloppy on the shield. Still sexy though.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Hixson posted:

New deamonkin stuff is leaked. Looks pretty rad: StrD drop pod impacts, assaulting from reserves

http://m.imgur.com/a/UAYmz

Sorry for the link, on mobile

So is GW putting FW units in their books now? Awesome.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

ghetto wormhole posted:

So is GW putting FW units in their books now? Awesome.

It's exclusive to Warhammer World, which seems to largely be about pushing FW products. They have everything FW sell on display, plus loads of gently caress-huge dioramas built around Titans and poo poo.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

This could be a nice proxy for a sicaran. The squat is on a 25mm base and it looks to be about the same size and had a similar silhouette. I imagine it will come with autocannon looking options as they are on all the other forge father vehicle

Those circles on the side armour are placed in the same spot as the sicaran sponsons even.

Big Willy Style fucked around with this message at 09:37 on May 18, 2015

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

[timg] that rad space dorf tank. It won't be available to buy at retail until next year though, probably about $30

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

NTRabbit posted:

[timg] that rad space dorf tank. It won't be available to buy at retail until next year though, probably about $30

Whoops, I'm terrible for that when phone posting.

Worth the wait for $30 (US I assume?) . Would look especially baller for iron hands or iron warriors

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Big Willy Style posted:

Whoops, I'm terrible for that when phone posting.

Worth the wait for $30 (US I assume?) . Would look especially baller for iron hands or iron warriors

Yeah $30 USD seems about the mark, the slightly simpler but also partly preassembled Mars Attacks vehicles were a test run for the hard plastic vehicle design to manufacturing process and they're $25 each. Also means there's likely to be a $60 three-pack.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
So...Mad Max-style game play...

I've never seen Gorka Morka played but this is what I'm thinking for using current 40K rules:

The game table is still a 4x6 table, but it's a rolling road so the main battle area is 4x4. When any vehicle reaches 12" from the short table edge, any vehicles on that back board are out of the battle because they're too damaged, too slow, wallow in terrain or hit something (whatever, they're just out of the battle) and the 2x4 section of game table in the back is moved to the front, and play continues.

Eldar and Dark Eldar vehicles would break this of course, so I guess you'd have to play on an 8' long table or figure something else out. Not sure about flyers either.

I haven't played Car Wars in ages, but there must be a way to figure out ramming vehicles, overturning vehicles (either by crashing, damage from explosive blasts or ramming) - even if it means figuring out a weight/speed chart and what effects a vehicle of a certain weight going a certain speed does when hitting something else of a certain weight. That must be simpler to figure out than an actual game of Car Wars.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

GorkaMorka had a similar 'rolling board' scenario. IIRC it was pretty simple, at the end of each turn everything on the board was moved 6" towards the edge, anything which left the board was out. Terrain removed could respawn in front of you.

Of course, GorkaMorka had rules for turning vehicles similar to 2nd ed so you had to be careful with facing etc. - if you tried to turn while going too fast there was a chance you'd spin out!

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

There's a more modern version of those rules in IA:8. I can post 'em later today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foul Ole Ron
Jan 6, 2005

All of you, please don't rush, everyone do the Guybrush!
Fun Shoe

Zark the Damned posted:

GorkaMorka had a similar 'rolling board' scenario. IIRC it was pretty simple, at the end of each turn everything on the board was moved 6" towards the edge, anything which left the board was out. Terrain removed could respawn in front of you.

Of course, GorkaMorka had rules for turning vehicles similar to 2nd ed so you had to be careful with facing etc. - if you tried to turn while going too fast there was a chance you'd spin out!
Gorkamorka was perfect for the size of the game itself, just the right amount of complication. Overall my fav GW game and the new Mad max film has me dieing to play it again.

Foul Ole Ron fucked around with this message at 11:32 on May 18, 2015

• Locked thread