Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

TheFluff posted:

I used to have a >90% win rate in the Cromwell B until I lost a game yesterday. I had like 15 straight victories in it.

for every win you had, i had a loss :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Blindeye posted:

So, I am thinking I need a medium tank crew trainer for USSR, is the Matilda IV any good? I don't see all that many rolling around, but I do remember how stubbornly tough Matildas have been to kill.

The Matilda IV has pref mm, but it's a tier 5. It is not a good purchase. They are only hard to kill when you are a lower tier, or still new at the game. Don't buy it.

Rudy is a good tank, and might be the only other Russian medium premium.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Blindeye posted:

So, I am thinking I need a medium tank crew trainer for USSR, is the Matilda IV any good? I don't see all that many rolling around, but I do remember how stubbornly tough Matildas have been to kill.

Don't buy the Matilda LL. It's one of the worst premiums and doesn't play at all like the Russian mediums. You just missed the Rudy, which is a T-34-85 clone and therefore way loving awesome, but keep an eye out for the T-34-85M in case it goes on sale again.

Honestly, your best bet is to buy a Churchill III and run crews through it until you have Sixth Sense and then retrain them for whatever tank. This method is crazy profitable but only makes sense if you retrain with gold. e: The Churchill III is for $6 in the premium shop right now, get one ASAP.

Alternatively, keep a regular medium you do well in and run crews through it with accelerated training active. That's what I did before buying the T-34-85M, I just used my regular T-34-85.

Terrorist Fistbump fucked around with this message at 23:48 on May 17, 2015

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Hey dudes, go into "res_mods\configs\xvm\default\hangar.xc" and open that file (I use Notepad++) and set enableCrewAutoReturn=true. It will check "automatically return crew" for all your tanks. You're welcome.

Azhais posted:

I forget: Does snap shot help turret-less TDs?

Yes it does.

Blindeye posted:

The Matilda 4 is trash and the Rudy is insanely amazing. Do not buy the Matilda 4, just wait for the Rudy to go on sale again (probably July 4th or that maybe even Memorial Day) since the Matilda 4 has 102 gold pen and is slower and less armored than the Churchill 3. Oh also you can just make new crews in the Churchill 3 since it gets a ridiculous XP boost, and then just retrain them over to the medium of your choice.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I like my Matilda IV. It's no Rudy, but it's a good low-stress run-around.

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

And better front armour.

Am I missing something? It has 100 instead of 120 mm according to wot compare.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Refried Noodle posted:

Angling is way better

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Can anyone tell me how to change the coloring of Melty's MathMod? I prefer the info in these crosshairs over other options but have always hated the light blue coloration. I know there's a way to do it, but I have so many mods installed that I don't know where to begin to look for the specific file that determines the coloration. None of the config files that I opened were relevant to the Melty's interface color.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Desuwa posted:

You saved $5 on the bundle and you could have gotten two more Soviet crews with BiA as a 0th skill. Those special crews are worth a lot, especially on a tech tree as large as the USSR tree with so many tanks worth keeping.

I actually checked, it's not a '0th' skill, it's just a first skill. The reason it's a first skill is that it costs just as much xp to level a '0th' skill BiA crew to 100% on their second skill as it does one with a first skill. Additionally, I'd far prefer if they just gave you the option to level the first skill to what you wanted, as I'd take Sixth Sense + 4x 100% repair over BiA across the board any day of the week, plus you have to wait for a retraining special to gold-train them for a tank you want a new, more highly-skilled crew in.

And lastly, the window to purchase them closed on the 15th. Again, I prefer my C3+KV-220 to an IS-2. I also didn't need the premium time as I barely play anymore and have 25k in gold to buy it when needed/wanted, and the $5 saved went towards buying that Double-Hitler Kinguin code, since I figure that tank's going to get 'retired' sooner rather than later.

Now, if the crews had BiA built in (instead of just pre-learned), that would be different.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 18, 2015

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
The Matilda IV actually loving owns. I don't know what's wrong with you guys!

e: Primelaw back me up on this man.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
My last memory of the Matilda LL was being ~150m away from the side of a KV-1 and only being able to reliably track him with both silver and gold rounds, requiring near-perfect pen rolls to actually do damage. It's not a bad tank, it just struggles against thickly armored T5 tanks.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

My last memory of the Matilda LL was being ~150m away from the side of a KV-1 and only being able to reliably track him with both silver and gold rounds, requiring near-perfect pen rolls to actually do damage. It's not a bad tank, it just struggles against thickly armored T5 tanks.

FTFY

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Yeah, I bought one when it was on sale for some absurdly low price. You're not going to pen anything without the use of gold, you're slower than a Churchill, but without the armour. I guess there is good gun depression, but gun depression is useless when you can't actually pen anything.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I actually checked, it's not a '0th' skill, it's just a first skill. The reason it's a first skill is that it costs just as much xp to level a '0th' skill BiA crew to 100% on their second skill as it does one with a first skill. ...
Now, if the crews had BiA built in (instead of just pre-learned), that would be different.

It is a built in '0th'. That XP gain is displaying as if it were the first skill is an acknowledged bug that is also affecting female crew.

As to the Matilda IV, carry ten or fifteen gold shells for tough tanks and just aim when using the standard shells. It's fine that way.
I have a 61% win rate and a 2.49 kill ratio in mine after three-hundred battles, and I suck at tanks.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 02:10 on May 18, 2015

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

It is a built in '0th'. That XP gain is displaying as if it were the first skill is an acknowledged bug that is also affecting female crew.

As to the Matilda IV, carry ten or fifteen gold shells for tough tanks and just aim when using the standard shells. It's fine that way.

Look, when you have 106 penetration on a 76mm gold round, funny things start happening to your game. You will bounce off BDRs on your natural rolls. You will not pen a slightly angled KV-1. In fact you can bounce off Shermans, T1s, PZ4s and other "soft" tanks if they accidentally come across you and don't turn dead straight. That's just tanks in your own tier.

It is very irresponsible to convince new players to spend their money on bad tanks. The Matilda IV is slow and impotent.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I didn't try to convince him to do anything. He asked for opinions of it and I gave mine. To me the Matilda IV is lots of fun, and I do well in it. I don't see how giving an honest answer based on first hand experience is irresponsible.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!
Everything's been coming up roses now that my M8A1 crew is leveled. Went from the early win rate of 42% to a solid 54% and was 7/1 today, with typical games being 500+ damage. I'm guessing if this is any indication, the T67 will be very fun once I unlock it. The T1 Heavy similarly feels like a juggernaut. Half my games push 1000 damage and my win rate is over 60%. I want to say the KV-1 or the Churchill are better but it's a lot harder to make things happen in those tanks vs the T1. I am guessing once I have the humongous final engine for it it's only going to get better. Is this just evidence that tier 4-6 are such a shitshow that vaguely competent players mop the floor?

Inexplicably, my luck with the T82 has not let up. I'm doing more damage but my win rate has been stubbornly near 40%. The contrast is confusing to me, since I am trying harder than ever not to be careless in that glass cannon with the 57 and to only fire from extreme range. I hate having one tank standing out in terms of long-term shittiness in my records but honestly, I have no reason to keep the drat thing. I feel like upping my winrate and damage out of pride rather than any rational motivation.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I didn't try to convince him to do anything. He asked for opinions of it and I gave mine. To me the Matilda IV is lots of fun, and I do well in it. I don't see how giving an honest answer based on first hand experience is irresponsible.

Yours is bad and you should feel bad

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I actually checked, it's not a '0th' skill, it's just a first skill. The reason it's a first skill is that it costs just as much xp to level a '0th' skill BiA crew to 100% on their second skill as it does one with a first skill. Additionally, I'd far prefer if they just gave you the option to level the first skill to what you wanted, as I'd take Sixth Sense + 4x 100% repair over BiA across the board any day of the week, plus you have to wait for a retraining special to gold-train them for a tank you want a new, more highly-skilled crew in.

And lastly, the window to purchase them closed on the 15th. Again, I prefer my C3+KV-220 to an IS-2. I also didn't need the premium time as I barely play anymore and have 25k in gold to buy it when needed/wanted, and the $5 saved went towards buying that Double-Hitler Kinguin code, since I figure that tank's going to get 'retired' sooner rather than later.

BiA is a low priority, especially on mediums where both camo and repairs take priority, but getting it for free (as stalin pointed out, the exp display is a bug) is super worth it especially on a medium crew. Thinking about it more, I may move them to a medium because mediums inherently want more skills than heavies, and benefit more from them, in general, than TDs.

The Matilda IV has no reason to exist when the Excelsior and T14 have better guns, mobility, and armour. I actually rather dislike the Churchill III because it's slow, unarmoured, and doesn't actually have much higher DPM than the T14/Excelsior/KV-220. It's funny in triple platoons but outside of that it's a lot less capable. The modifiers are nice, sure, but not enough to make me want to play it over the IS-6 or KV-5.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 06:10 on May 18, 2015

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Blindeye posted:

The T1 Heavy similarly feels like a juggernaut. Half my games push 1000 damage and my win rate is over 60%. I want to say the KV-1 or the Churchill are better but it's a lot harder to make things happen in those tanks vs the T1. I am guessing once I have the humongous final engine for it it's only going to get better. Is this just evidence that tier 4-6 are such a shitshow that vaguely competent players mop the floor?

Kv-1 and T1 Heavy are about the same, they just do things a bit differently. The T1 has plenty of speed and maneuverability to go places while the Kv-1 has lots of armor and so is hard to pry out of a good spot, they tend to make things happen via those attributes. You don't make things happen in the Church, you have to go where you think the action is going to be and hope you get there before it's over. Get used to that with the Brit heavy line, there isn't an engine upgrade for awhile.

'Vaguely Competent Players' with good tanks like the T1/Kv-1 are indeed going to mop the floor in the 4-6 bracket.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

This is because WG somehow managed to gently caress up the 0th Skill BiA with the last patch and now it counts as a normal skill. Despite them not touching the skill system.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Blindeye posted:

It's a shame you just missed the Rudy, A T-34-85 with a credit/exp multiplier has been awesome.

Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

EponymousMrYar posted:

Kv-1 and T1 Heavy are about the same, they just do things a bit differently. The T1 has plenty of speed and maneuverability to go places while the Kv-1 has lots of armor and so is hard to pry out of a good spot, they tend to make things happen via those attributes. You don't make things happen in the Church, you have to go where you think the action is going to be and hope you get there before it's over. Get used to that with the Brit heavy line, there isn't an engine upgrade for awhile.

'Vaguely Competent Players' with good tanks like the T1/Kv-1 are indeed going to mop the floor in the 4-6 bracket.
Speaking of British heavies...

A long time ago I started grinding up the heavy line. I stopped after tier 5, because I heard how bad the Churchill VII is. Well, I had 7+ million credits, several free slots, and there's the heavy tank sale right now, so I finally bought it. It is a lot worse than I imagined.

I looked ahead and nothing about this line looks fun until the tier IX gets the L1A1.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

The Black Prince is a cool tank. Shame that it's gated behind the C1 and C7 and leads to the Caern.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Axetrain posted:

It's a shame you just missed the Rudy, A T-34-85 with a credit/exp multiplier has been awesome.

To be fair, even the sale price had me hesitant to buy it. Getting the Churchill III was enough of a struggle to justify. In other news, I put (most) of my T-28 crew on it. Since they're at 97% it's pretty much like driving a 75% crew on the churchill and I have trouble noticing too much of a difference in-game. So maybe I can make the last push to level them to get skills in the Churchill...decisions....

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Uranium 235 posted:

A long time ago I started grinding up the heavy line. I stopped after tier 5, because I heard how bad the Churchill VII is. Well, I had 7+ million credits, several free slots, and there's the heavy tank sale right now, so I finally bought it. It is a lot worse than I imagined.

I looked ahead and nothing about this line looks fun until the tier IX gets the L1A1.

The Black Prince is "fun" in that you will probably do well in it and it can carry games like a champ. But, you probably won't have fun in it. It's slow, the armor is weirdly hit or miss, tier 9s poo poo on it (not as hard as tier 8s on the C7 though) and that gun is just sad. Especially now that the Firefly exists and has that gun at tier 6.

I don't like the Caern all that much either, which is odd that loved the Centurion.

KurdtLives
Dec 22, 2004

Ladies and She-Hulks can't resist Murdock's Big Hallway Energy

Uranium 235 posted:

The Church VII is a let down from the tier 5 but somehow I [a 51% coinflipper] managed 53% winrate. Tier 8 games are pure suffering though. Black Prince is fun, it's what I am on now.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Uranium 235 posted:

Churchill 7 is one of the few tanks that has a weak spot in the frontal drive wheel, so it can be penned and tracked from the front at the same time.
The Black Prince has a pretty beefy engine so it accelerates and then stays at the top speed constantly.
The T8 has some amazing bloom values going for it and a decent turret.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
The Black Prince is alright and unlike the church 7 it can actually get places decently quick. I had one really good game in the Church 7 where I pretty much trolled everyone with my armor, sniped kills and ended up getting a mastery stripe on it. It was my final game in the tank :suicide:
It also has good turret armor that most tier 9's can't pen so it isn't as painful as the Church 7 being bottom tier.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Uranium 235 posted:

The Caernavron is kinda fun if you like the idea of playing a slower but better armoured Centurion with excellent gun handling.
As for the Conqueror it seems like a glass cannon with an excellent gun, and while I have it unlocked it is pretty far down on my list of tanks to buy. If the Chieftain ever becomes a reality the line might become more fun.
But up until those it is just pain. The Church7 makes no one happy and the BP have a mixed reception. I couldn't win in it despite it being one of my highest average XP tanks.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Saying the caern is a better armored cent is kind of misleading. It's still paper thin everywhere, but the upper front plate might bounce something once in a blue moon. The turret/mantlet on both is pretty solid though.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Caern is a piece of poo poo.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Steelion posted:

Saying the caern is a better armored cent is kind of misleading. It's still paper thin everywhere, but the upper front plate might bounce something once in a blue moon. The turret/mantlet on both is pretty solid though.

Well, the armour of the Cent1 is wet tissue paper so having something better than that is hardly difficult.
It does a fair job of bouncing 175 mm shells, something which is extremely common at tier8 as well as bouncing badly aimed shells. Ie it has enough armour to reduce attritional damage.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Uranium 235 posted:

The Churchill 7 received several major buffs like a year ago, including getting 100 more HP and some mobility or gun changes I don't remember. They didn't fix the tracks being pennable frontally by tier 4 guns though. Just be glad you aren't driving the Churchill Gun Carrier, the worst Churchill.

The Caern is great, the Centurion 1 is poo poo. That module layout is just too punishing and the gun bloom is ridiculous for not being much faster than the Caern and being unable to get shot by anything. Thank god for strongholds!

Also the Conq is great with the 120mm. Even without the top engine it was sufficiently fast, but with the top engine it's probably my favorite tier 9 "medium". It's like a Type 61 with more HP and great gun handling and technically there's armor on the turret but I've been penned in the actual mantlet enough times to know it's only because pubbies are trying to aim for angled "weak points" that I'm able to sneak shots onto enemy tanks aiming for me.

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Hellsau posted:

The Caern is great
Please elaborate.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Missing Name posted:

Please elaborate.

It goes forward and shoots tanks at a reasonable speed while retaining the ability to turn the tank and turret to get specific shots or go to a specific spot. The gun is able to output what little DPM due to good soft stats and pen. Can't really ask for much more. The Cent 1 retains all the Caern's downsides while also lacking the ability to hit targets without great care.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Refried Noodle posted:

thats a bug with wot compare, they have the same amount of armor but the IS-2 has better angling/tinier driver hatch weakpoint

Refried Noodle
Feb 23, 2012

Seriously? Jesus, I already thought it was a good premium even with the weaker front armour.

frood
Aug 26, 2000
Nevermind.
I'm trying to plan out what other lines I'm going to be interested in bothering with, so I was wondering if anyone remembers/has links to which lines are coming out this year?
I saw something on Rita's talking about the Czech tree here:

http://ritastatusreport.blogspot.nl/2015/05/czechoslovak-tree-in-wot-faq.html

It mentions that the Japanese Heavy line is due in 9.10, says there will be 3 lines released this year, and mentions that the Czech will be the third at the end of the year. Is the French Heavy line the other one for this year? Are there useful posts on the tanks those lines are supposed to have in them like that Czech one? I looked back for a while on Rita's and WoT News but didn't see anything.

Also, if this is correct about the Czech tier 10 then that looks like it will be pretty fun. A medium with an interesting shape with some decent angles, seemingly better than Leopard 1 level armor, 25 hp/ton, and 8° of gun depression, and possibly an autoloader? Better than yet another Leopard knockoff, sign me up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

frood posted:

It mentions that the Japanese Heavy line is due in 9.10, says there will be 3 lines released this year, and mentions that the Czech will be the third at the end of the year. Is the French Heavy line the other one for this year? Are there useful posts on the tanks those lines are supposed to have in them like that Czech one? I looked back for a while on Rita's and WoT News but didn't see anything.

The AMX 30 branch has already gotten released. Remember that it also came with a gaggle of low-tier tanks that no one gave a poo poo about since WG refuse to make pre-war french armor anything but bad.