Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
Gotta be honest, when I woke up this morning, never did I think that today I would hear the phrase: "Keep the dwarf until we find a cock merchant."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I think they have been building towards Brienne having to make a decision: when this poo poo goes down will she loving destroy Stannis or rescue Sansa? She swore to do both, but, as Jamie asked her a few seasons ago, what happens when your oaths contradict each other? Brienne has always been what a knight/hero should be and it would be an interesting dilemma to put her in.

It's Brienne, she will fail at both.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

ultramiraculous posted:

You do realize that that was actually only rapey in the show, right? If you read that part in the books after the fact, it's actually jarringly consensual, with Drogo riding her out into the countryside and basically whispering sweet nothings into her ear until they have sex.

Edit: beaten

He actually explicitly asks for her consent. Well, as much as he can considering the language barrier.

Zippy the Bummer
Dec 14, 2008

Silent Majority
The Don
LORD COMMANDER OF THE UKRAINIAN ARMED FORCES
honestly it was pretty interesting that jaquen called Arya out on her claim that she hated the Hound. seems she didnt hound him after all....

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Zippy the Bummer posted:

honestly it was pretty interesting that jaquen called Arya out on her claim that she hated the Hound. seems she didnt hound him after all....

This was one of my favorite parts of this episode. Arya tried to play it off like she was a stone cold killer, I don't think she had the heart to face the Hound's (presumed) death.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

BrianWilly posted:

I am, actually.

I've regularly followed about eight or nine other ongoing TV shows per week for years and at this point it's honestly quite easy for me to drop any, like Walking Dead and Supernatural, that piss me off enough. Between the literal litany of superhero shows, fantasy shows, Vikings, procedurals, and top-notch comedies out there, it's not as if there's a lack of other cooler, better things for me to watch. I've stopped being invested in both this show and the books anyway since the series apexed at Dany taking over Meereen and went downhill from there in both mediums. Either the series hews closer to the books from now on and I already know what's gonna happen, or else it diverges even further from the books -- probably by putting in even more rape than the books do -- and I end up caring even less; either way I come out ahead. I've never even posted in this thread before now, certainly don't need any incentive to post even less.

So, yes, I am in fact going to stop watching this show. I don't think your guys' whole "Lol they say they're gonna quit but they'll just be back for more" shtick is really as applicable nowadays as it was back in the prime and glory of season 1, really.

Cool.

Thanks.

Also if you're going to be this lovely and better than people who watch GOT I'm going to point out there isn't a "literal" litany of anything on TV.

Spoeank fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 18, 2015

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
I just want to watch Jaime be hot and Bronn be cool and it's very difficult to do this when they're surrounded by suck

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Hitler is going to be so pissed at that rape scene.

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

an skeleton posted:

This was one of my favorite parts of this episode. Arya tried to play it off like she was a stone cold killer, I don't think she had the heart to face the Hound's (presumed) death.

He also called bullshit on her "I want to be a Faceless Man" claim, which is a nice reference to her hiding Needle. Arya's and Tyrion/Jorah's scenes were the best part of the episode.

Petr
Oct 3, 2000

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Uh, does it? The people who make this show probably disagree and I assure you she will continue to get poo poo on.

You've already admitted that your perception of the show going dark for buzz is a personal perception unique to yourself, not a general one, so your theories don't actually make any sense and aren't useful to anyone else.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Hexel posted:

The chamber of faces in the House of Black and White was cool, Aryas stuff is alright. I guess she needed to learn mercy and let go of her hatred to begin the real training? Tyrion and Jorahs daddy issues was cool and "cock merchant" was the best line since Sandor Clegane said he was gonna eat every loving chicken in that inn.

I miss The Hound, goddammit.

BrianWilly posted:

So, yes, I am in fact going to stop watching this show. I don't think your guys' whole "Lol they say they're gonna quit but they'll just be back for more" shtick is really as applicable nowadays as it was back in the prime and glory of season 1, really.

Okay, thanks for reporting in. Hey, do me a solid and post back every few weeks to let us know you're still not watching cuz I won't be giving a gently caress then, either.

fake edit:

BrianWilly posted:

drat you.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."

Chicken Doodle posted:

At least there was Mr. Eko. Goddamn love me some Mr. Eko.

This is Game of Thrones we are watching. That wasn't Mr.Eko. That was Abedisi.

Actually now I think about it this show doesn't have an out of his mind, drug hosed screaming psychopath and it could really use one.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

BrianWilly posted:

Didn't you know? Things that other people do are things that you do. So since they watch the show, that means you'll keep watching the show in their eyes. That's why all of the "see you next Sunday lol" jokes are so uproariously funny and should never, ever stop. People just know what you're going to watch.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Sansa getting raped in the show is terrible and I'm honestly surprised they would do that to a character we saw as a little girl in season 1. The books are full of terrible poo poo without having to write in extra rapes. I think this is the 4th rape they have added in.

As a character, she is completely worthless beyond being a punching bag to make the viewer feel sorry. I really hope she makes a big power play soon, because 5 seasons of her being abused is getting old. I never thought I would say it, but I'd rather watch another stupid Dany scene.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot
gently caress, I'm sad my instinct about Bronn was right. And all for the terrible terrible bullshit that is Dorne. All that build up for absolutely nothing worthwhile.

Arya's story is slow and i can't imagine will actually go much of anywhere but at least it's not loving Dorne.

I'm enjoy that they're making everything line up for Cersei because it has to come crashing down, right? Please? Margaery is so cool! Tommen is so bad at kinging.

Tyrion and Jorah get to have nautical adventures at least.

That final scene was loving brutal. I kept hoping Theon would... do something. Or, that Sansa would. At the wedding, I thought she was gonna be like, "before this happens, I want you to kill this bitch, she confessed to a bunch of murders". I'm hoping this is an indicator that they've somewhat learned to separate their 'tantalizing' titty scenes from the rape scenes. Craster's Keep was a loving disaster.

Pretty disturbed at the scattered posts saying it wasn't rape because she married him or whatever, what the gently caress, marital rape is still rape:

Hexel posted:

I wouldnt even qualify that as a rape. She decided way back at Moat Cailin to go through with this marriage and most marriages include intercourse. The only hosed up thing about it was the whole Theon mind games thing.

No she didnt like it and no she didnt wanna be there doing that but she did say she takes him as her husband so theres that. Way to keep on making dumbfuck decisions Sansa.

Davethulhu posted:

Is there a reason why Ser Loras can't demand a trial by combat?

And now I just thought, if he does and ends up facing Zombie Mountain?

Possibly because it's a faith trial?

Also this was a hearing; High Sparrow says there's enough for a trial now. Which is complete garbage, especially in regards to Margaery, since all she did was say "I didn't know about it" and the other guy said "yes she did". There's no birthmark bullshit to use against her. But maybe they can do trial by combat (which Loras should be good on unless the bane-Mountain is ready to go).

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
whats with the babies crying about how they are gonna stop watching a show? jesus christ

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Petr posted:

You've already admitted that your perception of the show going dark for buzz is a personal perception unique to yourself, not a general one, so your theories don't actually make any sense and aren't useful to anyone else.

So you have an advanced copy of the scripts then, or perhaps some unreleased footage depicting Sansa no longer getting poo poo on? Well, if not, then neither of us will know until we see it on HBO. My comment was a response to someone saying "this is it, this is the turning point! only up from here! She's going to develop now!" Possible, but not certain.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 08:34 on May 18, 2015

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

whats with the babies crying about how they are gonna stop watching a show? jesus christ

In the last episode of Game of Thrones a teenage girl who had been on the show for 5 seasons was raped while screaming in pain. A lot of people found it uncomfortable enough to decide not to tune in again because it was not a pleasant thing to watch and they'd rather not see anymore. They posted it on a forum because that is what people do on forums, they post reactions and thoughts about the topic of the thread. Hope that clears up the confusion!

I mean, hey, more assholes being burned by dragons for the rest of us, right?

whoflungpoop
Sep 9, 2004

With you and the constellations
Guys I'm just really concerned that this show about a brutal world full of bad people and bad things has maybe... crossed the line? *clutches necklace of dwarf dicks*

parara
Apr 9, 2010

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

In the last episode of Game of Thrones a teenage girl who had been on the show for 5 seasons was raped while screaming in pain. A lot of people found it uncomfortable enough to decide not to tune in again because it was not a pleasant thing to watch and they'd rather not see anymore. They posted it on a forum because that is what people do on forums, they post reactions and thoughts about the topic of the thread. Hope that clears up the confusion!

I mean, hey, more assholes being burned by dragons for the rest of us, right?

Please get out of here with your logic this is not what this thread is about tonight!!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Sansa scene tonight did not work because there was a lack of nuance behind it. It just kind of happened out of the blue, setting it far apart in quality from the other memorable brutal sequences, such as the Red Wedding. Sansa is a punching bag, and so the rape scene was just lovely and stupid.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

I wouldn't say she was screaming in pain

Also ^ did you miss the entire bathtub scene right before the wedding?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Duggler posted:

I wouldn't say she was screaming in pain

Also ^ did you miss the entire bathtub scene right before the wedding?

No I saw it, just that it's not really relevant to what happened.

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

I think they have been building towards Brienne having to make a decision: when this poo poo goes down will she loving destroy Stannis or rescue Sansa? She swore to do both, but, as Jamie asked her a few seasons ago, what happens when your oaths contradict each other? Brienne has always been what a knight/hero should be and it would be an interesting dilemma to put her in.

I concur wholeheartedly. She's gonna sit in dem woods until she's forced to choose between her oaths. I have a feeling that is where her arc will end (in death ofc).

Firstborn posted:

Loras should've just been like, "this dude was my squire and helps me get dressed and stuff, he's seen my birthmark obviously", or "hey my leg was cut and he dressed the wound he's seen it" or even "ladies all over westeros talk about that birthmark lol no big", or even even "i was drunk one night at Renly's camp and ran around naked, everybody saw my birthmark" or "he walked in when I was sexhaving a fine rear end lady".

ANYTHING.

e: "he's just mad jealous because i hosed his sister she must've said something"
e: "he gets my sloppy seconds, some whore must've told him"
e: "I get him to run my baths and poo poo, dude has seen me naked no big he's gay for looking at my dong obviously"

Loras is a dumbshit. Olenna says so a couple of times. He is his father's son. So you are completely correct in what you are saying but it's 100% in character.

Zippy the Bummer posted:

They were (are) kindred spirits. Both liked killing, both fueled by hate (his brother/those who wronged her family), both with a weird code of morality. She kinda recognizes this she finds it hard to hate someone that's so similar to her. During the scene in season 4 she called him her father as a cover, there was some truth to that. Season 4 Arya is certainly the product of men like Sandor Clegane.

To all the people that said all that stuff about Cersei - yeah I'm on the Cersei is hosed train as well. But perhaps you will all view the horrible lovely Dorne subplot in a different light later. It might be an excuse to get Jamie Lannister out of King's Landing before the mob tears all remaining Lannisters apart, leaving us with the ones we like.

One final thing on Dorne - The Sand Snakes are poo poo. They don't fight well, they don't act well. They are boring. Their plan is stupid. But it's foreshadowed in the show a bit isn't it? King Roosevelt has that conversation with the captain of his guard before anything goes down, they are drilled, ready and respond very quickly to the attack, and Ellaria Sand is arrested immediately. Maybe the Sand Snakes, though presented as awesome stone cold killers, are actually just a gang of loving useless idiots in universe as well?

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

Oh and on the rape thing - it's a pretty serious trigger for some people. Yes, worst things have happened in the show, but most people don't have first hand experience that level of violence. No one has seen their father be burned to death by a dragon or had their lovers head crushed by The Hulk, no one has watched someone be flayed alive, and very few people have seen comrades cut down in battle.

But a lot of people have been raped. It's fair enough that it hits close enough to home to warrant a reaction as strong as refusing to watch the show anymore.

Bobo the Red
Aug 14, 2004
Lay off the marmot

I said come in! posted:

No I saw it, just that it's not really relevant to what happened.

Well, we also have seen Ramsay's sexual violence at least twice before, and his general demeanor many more times than that. There was nothing out of the blue about the scene; I have been dreading it as a possibility for as long as Sansa has been back in Winterfell. I kept hoping something would interfere: Ramsay would get called away, Sansa would cause a scene about Miranda, anything, because if they got married, we knew she was gonna face something like this.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I bet that one guy complaining about how the Craster's Keep mutineers didn't rape everybody was pretty happy with the episode, though

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I was hoping for Sansa to use her height to dominate Ramsay.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

BrianWilly posted:

I am, actually.

I've regularly followed about eight or nine other ongoing TV shows per week for years and at this point it's honestly quite easy for me to drop any, like Walking Dead and Supernatural, that piss me off enough. Between the literal litany of superhero shows, fantasy shows, Vikings, procedurals, and top-notch comedies out there, it's not as if there's a lack of other cooler, better things for me to watch. I've stopped being invested in both this show and the books anyway since the series apexed at Dany taking over Meereen and went downhill from there in both mediums. Either the series hews closer to the books from now on and I already know what's gonna happen, or else it diverges even further from the books -- probably by putting in even more rape than the books do -- and I end up caring even less; either way I come out ahead. I've never even posted in this thread before now, certainly don't need any incentive to post even less.

If you read the books, didn't you already know Ramsey rapes his wife on his wedding night? Did you react the same way to it on the page? What exactly is pissing you off?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I don't care at all about that ending scene in this episode. with Sansa and Ramsay. I just wanted to see Theon rise up around the tension in that room and announce that the people who he had burned and hung were not her brothers but just orphan boys and that her brothers were still alive. Sansa still gets the impression that her brothers are dead, but I am just waiting for that moment when Theon finally snaps and floods Sansa with the truth. You can see Theon in his eyes that he didn't want to be there and that it pained him and made him suffer. I was hoping that before the wedding he would've split the guts but didn't and I was like, "oh great, opportunity wasted." Then we had the final scene where it was just Ramsey, Sansa, and Theon, and I thought finally something was going to go down. Maybe Theon would man up on this whole situation. I was kind of hoping for that since Ramsey thought it was a good idea for Theon to stay for the "event" I thought the show was setting us up for a surprise "man up" from Theon and just tell Sansa everything. Unfortunately we got none of that and we saw something horrible take place. Theon clearly wants to tell Sansa what really happened but he is tormented, he doesn't want to face the wrath of the Boltons. I'm an advent reader of the series and I still hated this ending.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Smoothrich posted:

If you read the books, didn't you already know Ramsey rapes his wife on his wedding night? Did you react the same way to it on the page? What exactly is pissing you off?
If I had to guess, what's pissing him off is that he never once said he was going to stop watching solely because of the rape, so he's probably exasperated by people who can't read.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

If I had to guess, what's pissing him off is that he never once said he was going to stop watching solely because of the rape, so he's probably exasperated by people who can't read.

Are you another self-righteous poster who thinks depicting violence against women is somehow endorsing it or what? You'd think feminists and the like would actually support likable characters being raped for no reason by people they might trust or know since you know, that's often what rape is. I wonder if black people decide to stop watching TV shows that depict a cop beating up a black guy cuz you know, that would be racist..

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Smoothrich posted:

Are you another self-righteous poster who thinks depicting violence against women is somehow endorsing it or what? You'd think feminists and the like would actually support likable characters being raped for no reason by people they might trust or know since you know, that's often what rape is. I wonder if black people decide to stop watching TV shows that depict a cop beating up a black guy cuz you know, that would be racist..

This post is hilarious

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

Smoothrich posted:

What the gently caress is the matter with you?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I just got whiplash.

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

:downs: Hodor

:argh: Oh I get it, the feminazi agenda rears it's ugly head once again. Well now your dealing with me hot shot!

:downs: Hodor?

:argh: Cram your self righteous propaganda up your very own rear end in a top hat, tumblr bitch! Oh I'm sorry, am I, heh, "triggering" you?

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

ParliamentOfDogs posted:

:argh: Oh I get it, the feminazi agenda rears it's ugly head once again. Well now your dealing with me hot shot!

:downs: Hodor?

:argh: Cram your self righteous propaganda up your very own rear end in a top hat, tumblr bitch! Oh I'm sorry, am I, heh, "triggering" you?

Are you calling feminists retarded? Now that actually is offensive to gender equality and special education advocates. Embarrassing.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The main thing they could have done to improve the final scene is if they had showed Sansa... taking a few breaths to steady herself or something. Maybe even before walking into the room. She knew, at least to an extent, what was going to happen in there and she accepted it, it's the price she paid for a chance at her revenge. The way they portrayed it, it felt like she had no agency, but she did.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

That closing scene was really deeply disturbing and depressing :smith:

On a brighter note, looks like Adebisi will be around at least one more episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Things I learned in the final scene: Ramsay is evil, Sansa is a victim, Theon is helpless. Glad they spelled that out for me.

• Locked thread