Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Cole posted:

if you're going to rip someone's quote, at least give them credit.

It's from True Detective as part of a pretty well known monologue.

Unless you're calling out the writer of the show as being somewhat of a plagiarist, which has been happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Phenotype posted:

I'm at work, or right now I'd be posting that Ctrl-Alt-Del comic (you know which one) only with the last panel showing his girlfriend with a big grin and a triumphant fist pump.

I'm at a loss for what it could be.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

Freaquency posted:

"Guys I really just wish everyone would drop it!"

*continues to respond to every post in the thread*

e: to be semi on-topic, what big story is there for John to cover at the beginning this week? I'm guessing maybe he'll bring up the Pats, but I don't recall any other Big News from the week prior.

The main story isn't always something that happened recently (i.e: America has had lovely labour laws forever) so it's pretty hard to guess what he'll cover. I'd like it if he did something with an international angle. The last few episodes have tended to focus on mainly US issues.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
Well there's the earthquake (but hopefully no humor in that), the UK elections, the end of Ebola (at least in Liberia) and possibly some UN/WHO stuff to go with that... What else has been happening in the world?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

muscles like this? posted:

I'd really like it for them to cover the whole Jeb Bush thing where he was trying to cheat FEC rules by running for President but not actually announcing and using that as a loophole to raise more money than he is legally allowed to.

Although he could definitely get a whole show about how toothless the FEC is now and how everybody just does whatever they want.

Jeb is not cheating at all. He's perfectly within the rules, at least until he accidentally announced to reporters he was running, though that's probably not official. As long as he is not officially running for office he's free to coordinate and run a PAC that will obviously cut all ties with him as soon as he announces and totally independently work toward electing Jeb Bush. Thanks to the Supreme Court this is all above board and fine. Any candidate can do it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Xoidanor posted:

I'm at a loss for what it could be.
What? It's pretty obviously a reference to--- ooooh I see what you did there.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

muscles like this? posted:

I'd really like it for them to cover the whole Jeb Bush thing where he was trying to cheat FEC rules by running for President but not actually announcing and using that as a loophole to raise more money than he is legally allowed to.

Although he could definitely get a whole show about how toothless the FEC is now and how everybody just does whatever they want.

I've heard Scott Walker is doing this, too. I suspect it may be the New Normal for people who are serious about running.

ItalicSquirrels posted:

Well there's the earthquake (but hopefully no humor in that), the UK elections, the end of Ebola (at least in Liberia) and possibly some UN/WHO stuff to go with that... What else has been happening in the world?

There is a lot going on in the world if you dive in below the top-level headlines. It's hard to predict what captures his attention.

One admittedly less important story I'd kind of like to hear him cover is the jihadi kids who are fleeing ISIS and trying to go home. It seems like an interesting problem going forward: how to handle teens who ran off to join the fight/marry the fighters and then noped out of there.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Pinky Artichoke posted:

One admittedly less important story I'd kind of like to hear him cover is the jihadi kids who are fleeing ISIS and trying to go home. It seems like an interesting problem going forward: how to handle teens who ran off to join the fight/marry the fighters and then noped out of there.

The strategy of the Dutch PM as stated during an election debate is: "hope they die".

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Orange Devil posted:

The strategy of the Dutch PM as stated during an election debate is: "hope they die".

See, in America they could just fake a conversion to Christianity and people would by calling their congressman to demand their safe return.

Solvent
Jan 24, 2013

by Hand Knit
I was here a few pages ago. I left because ignoring an obvious troll was not enough, as the bulk of discussion was in response to his trolling.
I didn't report because something inside me felt like that was snitching. Thank you for getting Joe to back off a bit Deadpool.
I honestly thought the 300+ responses, were due to trolling. I'm glad I was wrong.

I wanted to say that I'd be happy to give you a big hug DogPickle, you sound like you've held a lot inside for a while.

Do you think maybe that if you had better options when you became pregnant as a minor, you might feel differently about this subject that is now, very obviously, personal to you?
Being someone with a Y chromosome, I dont have the same first person view of the issue, but I was in a similar position in my early 20's.
My girlfriend did have a miscarriage though, it was bloody and horrible, and almost killed her. The stress of the situation, IMO was enough, and led to the end of a five year relationship a couple months later.
It was stressful because we didn't have many options, and abortion was NOT an option for a number of irrelevant reasons.
Years later, I have used my experience to find more empathy, and it has been hard work.

I'd like to quote a beautiful post from a few pages back, and I look forward to discussing the next episode with you all.

e: I'm super late, sorry. I blame Joe.

time is a wastin posted:

Here I hope this poem helps you

What Work Is
Philip Levine

We stand in the rain in a long line
waiting at Ford Highland Park. For work.
You know what work is—if you’re
old enough to read this you know what
work is, although you may not do it.
Forget you. This is about waiting,
shifting from one foot to another.
Feeling the light rain falling like mist
into your hair, blurring your vision
until you think you see your own brother
ahead of you, maybe ten places.
You rub your glasses with your fingers,
and of course it’s someone else’s brother,
narrower across the shoulders than
yours but with the same sad slouch, the grin
that does not hide the stubbornness,
the sad refusal to give in to
rain, to the hours of wasted waiting,
to the knowledge that somewhere ahead
a man is waiting who will say, “No,
we’re not hiring today,” for any
reason he wants. You love your brother,
now suddenly you can hardly stand
the love flooding you for your brother,
who’s not beside you or behind or
ahead because he’s home trying to
sleep off a miserable night shift
at Cadillac so he can get up
before noon to study his German.
Works eight hours a night so he can sing
Wagner, the opera you hate most,
the worst music ever invented.
How long has it been since you told him
you loved him, held his wide shoulders,
opened your eyes wide and said those words,
and maybe kissed his cheek? You’ve never
done something so simple, so obvious,
not because you’re too young or too dumb,
not because you’re jealous or even mean
or incapable of crying in
the presence of another man, no,
just because you don’t know what work is.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Gyges posted:

See, in America they could just fake a conversion to Christianity and people would by calling their congressman to demand their safe return.

And start go find me's for them.....so long as they looked white enough.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
One of my best friends that I have known since high school made a documentary on chicken farming a couple years ago. It was basically a hobby of his, making documentaries. Anyways, he told me today that it is going to be on John Oliver's show this week. I have no clue if it will be 5 seconds, or if they will even mention his name. Either way, its pretty cool to see his efforts make it big so to speak. The documentary in question is here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2erLkMuVqt4

Can't wait to see it!

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

swickles posted:

One of my best friends that I have known since high school made a documentary on chicken farming a couple years ago. It was basically a hobby of his, making documentaries. Anyways, he told me today that it is going to be on John Oliver's show this week. I have no clue if it will be 5 seconds, or if they will even mention his name. Either way, its pretty cool to see his efforts make it big so to speak. The documentary in question is here:

Can't wait to see it!

I almost commented a couple of days ago that I could see him doing a segment on the chicken holocaust now underway in the midwest due to avian flu. This is an excellent (and tragic) angle.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Thurm posted:

On more positive news, John's interview with Pepe Julian Onziema just won the GLAAD Media Award for Outstanding Talk Show Episode.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3deUBcUylI8

4 pages of poo poo posting and no one comments on this. It's really cool to hear that Pepe's interview had such a positive impact on the discussion of LGBQT rights in Uganda and Pepe's own personal life.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Some respek knuckles for Letterman, nice

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

I don't usually remember to watch this live, hey

edit: holy hell what an rear end

edit 2: oh here's the segment with the documentary that goon's friend made

edit 3: #TheBoysAreBack :3: I thoroughly enjoy when John geeks out about stuff

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 18, 2015

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

swickles posted:

Can't wait to see it!

Hey swickles your friend made a really good documentary about something I think most of America has no idea about, so good on him. Really shocked about how bad poo poo is for the farmers, it seems like they're in a no-win situation. Not a whole lot of industry in the Deep South apart from agriculture and when Big Ag fucks you like this, what are you supposed to do?

Is it just me or do all the issues over the last few weeks boil down to "large corporations need to be shackled because they're out of control." Because that seems like the overriding thesis to me. If only any politicians actually gave a poo poo...

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Politicians would probably give a poo poo if they're campaigns weren't financed by the very companies they're supposed to regulate. :911:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Xoidanor posted:

Politicians would probably give a poo poo if they're campaigns weren't financed by the very companies they're supposed to regulate. :911:

If you want to have Senators
Not on the take,
Then give them free air time,
They won't have to fake!

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
In defense of that bit about Depp's dogs, Australia the continent/country has no rabies. It currently does not exist anywhere, so they are understandably crazy strict in order to keep it that way. Depp basically gave the government a massive middle finger. That Australian government dude was hilariously unprofessional but he was definitely right.

axeil posted:

Hey swickles your friend made a really good documentary about something I think most of America has no idea about, so good on him. Really shocked about how bad poo poo is for the farmers, it seems like they're in a no-win situation. Not a whole lot of industry in the Deep South apart from agriculture and when Big Ag fucks you like this, what are you supposed to do?

Is it just me or do all the issues over the last few weeks boil down to "large corporations need to be shackled because they're out of control." Because that seems like the overriding thesis to me. If only any politicians actually gave a poo poo...

That Ohio congresswoman effectively summed up the American labor market pretty succinctly. The businesses have all the power and the workers almost none. Giving some power back to the workers is the obvious and effective solution.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Relentlessboredomm posted:

In defense of that bit about Depp's dogs, Australia the continent/country has no rabies. It currently does not exist anywhere, so they are understandably crazy strict in order to keep it that way. Depp basically gave the government a massive middle finger. That Australian government dude was hilariously unprofessional but he was definitely right.

I thought rabies was a non-factor in most of the developed world on the account of us having killed off most predators.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Pets owned by movie stars have no rabies either, they do not exist anywhere.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

Xoidanor posted:

I thought rabies was a non-factor in most of the developed world on the account of us having killed off most predators.

It still very much exists in the wild. That's what I'm saying. Random wild life does not have rabies in Australia.

JT Jag posted:

Pets owned by movie stars have no rabies either, they do not exist anywhere.

It's very easy for a dog to contract rabies in the US thanks to possums, raccoons, and other wildlife. Hopefully they've had their shots and everything but that's the entire reason the Australian gov't checks.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's not just rabies, it's lots of other things. Biosecurity is incredibly heavily regulated here, for good reason; our ecosystem is distinct from the rest of the world and we have a whole different set of pests. New ones getting in could be disastrous. You know how you have drug dogs in airports? Here they're fruit dogs, because compromising that could cost billions.

Now obviously Depp's dogs are healthy as hell, but when your government spends millions of dollars a year on advertising how serious quarantine regulation is, to have a celebrity say 'gently caress it' to that and let him get away with it would be a disaster. The threat to kill was basically them trying to impress on the public how seriously they take this poo poo.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:15 on May 18, 2015

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

MikeJF posted:

It's not just rabies, it's lots of other things. Biosecurity is incredibly heavily regulated here, for good reason; our ecosystem is distinct from the rest of the world and we have a whole different set of pests. New ones getting in could be disastrous. You know how you have drug dogs in airports? Here they're fruit dogs.

Now obviously Depp's dogs are healthy as hell, but when your government spends millions of dollars a year on advertising how serious quarantine regulation is, to have a celebrity say 'gently caress it' to that and let him get away with it would be a disaster.

Yeah, I agree. There are even quarantines within Australia.

My girlfriend is planning to bring her cat from the US to Australia next year, there are ~6 months worth of vet visits beforehand for vaccinations, test, etc, then the animal has to be boarded in quarantine for 10 days (~$1500 or something). It's a tonne of money for her but not having a private jet to smuggle the cat in on it's not like she has a choice :shrug:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Yeah, don't run afoul of the fruit police.

No, seriously, they're patrolling the highways, they'll pull you over to check for fruit smuggling while you're driving through a quarantine strip.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:29 on May 18, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

It's very easy for a dog to contract rabies in the US thanks to possums, raccoons, and other wildlife. Hopefully they've had their shots and everything but that's the entire reason the Australian gov't checks.

Which would have been wholly justified if Depp kept matching Dobermans or something. These are teacup dogs that probably have never been exposed to sunlight other than that being filtered through a polarized window pane.

A law's a law, though, and he was perfectly within his right to demand the dogs be submitted for quarantine or sent back to the US, but there are assholes on both sides of this: 1) Depp for thinking he could skirt the law so long as he kept his dogs indoors presumably because 'he is who he is,' and 2) the Minister for dickishly exerting his authority over an American movie star.

I still remember people bitching and moaning about their pets being forcibly quarantined living on a foreign US military base both when they arrived and when they moved back.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 11:40 on May 18, 2015

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, don't run afoul of the fruit police.

No, seriously, they're patrolling the highways, they'll pull you over to check for fruit smuggling while you're driving through a quarantine strip.

What fruits are banned?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

axeil posted:

What fruits are banned?

Pick a state

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

At least there are legitimate reasons for it. Keeping the areas fruit fly free is a bitch and a half.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
This show started off strong but has lately gone to poo poo. I can't believe he dedicated a sketch to broken polar bear penises.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Pompous Rhombus posted:

My girlfriend is planning to bring her cat from the US to Australia next year, there are ~6 months worth of vet visits beforehand for vaccinations, test, etc, then the animal has to be boarded in quarantine for 10 days (~$1500 or something). It's a tonne of money for her but not having a private jet to smuggle the cat in on it's not like she has a choice :shrug:

My sister brought a dog over from the Solomon islands. 6 months quarantine.

I don't know how much it cost her, but it was a lot. This was after she had just been volunteering there for a year so didn't exactly have a lot of money, but a pets a pet, and you do what you do I guess.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

dr_rat posted:

My sister brought a dog over from the Solomon islands. 6 months quarantine.

Something must've been found, Solomons is meant to be a few weeks.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
I don't blame Australia at all for being strict after the whole rabbit debacle. Not that I expect tea cup dogs to ravage the environment, but still.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
This last episode was good. I like how John sticks up for the little guy.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah I feel like they've started putting more thought and effort into the 20-minute segments. I mean those are why I actually watch the show so I'm happy to see them happen that way.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Which would have been wholly justified if Depp kept matching Dobermans or something. These are teacup dogs that probably have never been exposed to sunlight other than that being filtered through a polarized window pane.

A law's a law, though, and he was perfectly within his right to demand the dogs be submitted for quarantine or sent back to the US, but there are assholes on both sides of this: 1) Depp for thinking he could skirt the law so long as he kept his dogs indoors presumably because 'he is who he is,' and 2) the Minister for dickishly exerting his authority over an American movie star.

I still remember people bitching and moaning about their pets being forcibly quarantined living on a foreign US military base both when they arrived and when they moved back.

Laws like this absolutely have to be stupidly rigid though, since exactly 0.000% of pet owners will think that their precious little fluffy companion could possibly carry some nasty disease. If you leave any amount of "common sense" based wiggle room where it is up to the owner to make a judgement call on weather their pet needs to be quarantined or not, then you might as well not bother with the laws in the first place.

Guy was still an rear end in a top hat, of course, but I can really see where he felt that he had to come down hard on this. If he had just asked politely if Mr. Depp would please quarantine his pets, he'd risk opening up a national debate over weather these particular pets, belonging to this particular guy, really posed a serious risk or not. What if Depp had pinky promised that they had all their shots, or that they would leave in a couple of weeks anyway, so what's the big deal, etc etc. All of a sudden you'd have a bunch of idiots thinking about weather they should just try to bring their pets in on the sly the next time, because why bother paying for a bunch of shots and weeks of quarantine and poo poo when you know in your heart of hearts that your pampered little purse-dweller can't possibly be contaminated with anything?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Same. A lot of the older guys just left their pets with family in the states because they didn't want to deal with it.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Baron Bifford posted:

This show started off strong but has lately gone to poo poo. I can't believe he dedicated a sketch to broken polar bear penises.

Except I've seen that sketch 3 times now, and it's still funny.

I know it's shocking, but most people watch comedy shows to laugh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I think a lot of Oliver's bits lately are missing the "mic drop moment" that justify the preachy tone. We get anger, sympathetic figures, and jokes but we don't get a strong release of emotions by the end of a lot of the bits. I kind of need a bit of a stronger home run moment at the end of the extended bits if I want to share the story on Facebook or have water cooler talk about it at work. The show obviously doesn't want to retread The Daily Show, but it's a bit more obvious now where the advantages are in Stewart's format. Having correspondents and field pieces still grounds the comedy as "fake news". A weekly format that's less bound to the news cycle will obviously want to be less like that, but it's missing a lot of the meta-narrative stuff that helps keep it engaging.

I don't want to overstate the issues with the show, because it still makes me laugh. But the show could use some very slight retooling because the issues covered will usually be important but the emotional impact, comedic or serious, has reached a ceiling.

• Locked thread