Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Sonic DID kill a whole buncha dudes joyriding in power armor. He isn't the nicest guy around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Nalin posted:

Sonic DID kill a whole buncha dudes joyriding in power armor. He isn't the nicest guy around.

But he's also not really a villain or monster. I believe the accepted term is "anti-hero". He's a character that very much isn't a hero, and does some bad things, but often also does good (whether accidentally or otherwise). Really, the worst things we've seen Speed of Sound Sonic do were as a result of mercenary work and everybody knows a job is a job. Skin-tight ninja outfits don't just buy themselves.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

He's done good?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Yeah uh there's nothing really redeemable about Sonic.

K. Flaps
Dec 7, 2012

by Athanatos
What about his shapely hips.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Nalin posted:

A bunch of dudes who stole that power armor and were on their way to attack his boss and probably more.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

K. Flaps posted:

What about his shapely hips.

this and also him being tsun-tsun for Saitama.

KillerQueen
Jul 13, 2010

I like TTMaster and L.R.s interaction here. It shows that TT is reasonable enough to listen to lower-ranked heroes, but that he's pragmatic enough to know Garou probably won't take advantage of it and leave. Helps to explain why he's so close to the members of his dojo, they just all know he's a reasonable and empathetic guy.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Brainamp posted:

He's done good?

Didn't Sonic fight the Sea King after Pri-Pri-Prisoner lost?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

Didn't Sonic fight the Sea King after Pri-Pri-Prisoner lost?

Sea King picked a fight with him. He wasn't trying to protect anyone or avenge the serial rapist.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
I'll go reread it after I get off work, but what the gently caress was he doing so close to the fight then? I mean, was he just watching for the hell of it?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gyges posted:

To be fair, if you get Speed of Sonic Sound sent after you, you're probably a pretty bad guy. Nobody hires a world class assassin/ninja to take out saints.

Martin Luther King Jr. might disagree. You have to be really, really high-profile and controversial to attract enough ire to do it by good deeds, but it does happen.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Keeshhound posted:

I'll go reread it after I get off work, but what the gently caress was he doing so close to the fight then? I mean, was he just watching for the hell of it?

That was a good portion of it, yeah.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Keeshhound posted:

A giant rapist broke out of prison to pick a fight with a monster. poo poo, who wouldn't go see that?

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Fair point.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I'm also team saw-it-as-purple by the way. Not sure why. The red actually threw me off, especially since I saw that picture so many times and never noticed.

I also agree that Supersonic Speed of Sound isn't supposed to be evil. He's simply concerned with being the best assassin. I think in the context of their universe or story, his actions aren't considered evil. And I don't think he's meant to appear that way. That's why Saitama just lets him go whenever they fight. Boros wasn't necessarily a monster, but Saitama killed him because he was evil. And you can tell SSS wants honest fights and to honor his contracts etc. SSS is True Neutral or even Lawful Neutral at worst imo.

Pri-Pri Prisoner is probably more evil, but he's a hero, go figure.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Shadow0 posted:

I'm also team saw-it-as-purple by the way. Not sure why. The red actually threw me off, especially since I saw that picture so many times and never noticed.

I also agree that Supersonic Speed of Sound isn't supposed to be evil. He's simply concerned with being the best assassin. I think in the context of their universe or story, his actions aren't considered evil. And I don't think he's meant to appear that way. That's why Saitama just lets him go whenever they fight. Boros wasn't necessarily a monster, but Saitama killed him because he was evil. And you can tell SSS wants honest fights and to honor his contracts etc. SSS is True Neutral or even Lawful Neutral at worst imo.

There are a lot of evil rear end heroes

I think that's like, a theme or something

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I have one big concern about the upcoming anime.

http://bato.to/read/_/142544/onepunch-man_ch13_by_boon-scanlation/5
http://bato.to/read/_/140446/onepunch-man_ch9_by_boon-scanlation/19

How much will they tone down the gore and violence?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Who cares? It's not an important part of the manga, and toning it down would make no real difference.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

tsob posted:

Who cares? It's not an important part of the manga, and toning it down would make no real difference.

The fact that Saitama's punches LITERALLY EXPLODE PEOPLE'S HEADS is enjoyable and without it the anime just won't feel the same.

Or do you think that this scene would possibly be the same without a dangling eyeball?

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I wonder what Watchdogman is up to, he is a cool dude

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Shadow0 posted:

saitama doesn't kill humans. boros isn't a human so he's fair game.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

khy posted:

The fact that Saitama's punches LITERALLY EXPLODE PEOPLE'S HEADS is enjoyable and without it the anime just won't feel the same.

The important part of those panels is showing the ease with which Saitama is beating them. The gore isn't really important to that and I won't miss it if it's gone.

khy posted:

Or do you think that this scene would possibly be the same without a dangling eyeball?

Given that the eye is in no way definitely belonging to that guy and can handily be replaced by any random body part or piece of armor, yes.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Roobanguy posted:

saitama doesn't kill humans. boros isn't a human so he's fair game.

Oh, so Saitama follows the Batman code for superheroes. Everything makes so much sense now :v:

khy
Aug 15, 2005

tsob posted:

The important part of those panels is showing the ease with which Saitama is beating them. The gore isn't really important to that and I won't miss it if it's gone.

I think it's more that different people perceive Saitama's strength differently. What I mean is, I think that a punch that disintegrates a monster's head would seem, to me, vastly stronger than a punch which send him flying or knocks him out.

Maybe it's because I've seen too many instances of 'super strong guy punches bad guy, bad guy goes crashing through buildings/flying through the air'. Saitama seems like he's meant to be depicted as stronger than the usual tropes and the best way to depict that is with the hilarious gore mixed in with the usual stuff.

Just my opinion of course.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
We already know he pulls his punches even against guys like Boros - him pulling them a bit so as not to stain his suit or whatever is no different.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

tsob posted:

Martin Luther King Jr. might disagree. You have to be really, really high-profile and controversial to attract enough ire to do it by good deeds, but it does happen.

Nobody hired James Earl Ray to kill King, and even if you believe in some vast rear end in a top hat conspiracy, James Earl Ray was not a world class assassin. It's always some lone crazy rear end in a top hat who offs saints. Like that guy who tried to kill JPII(who is officially saint, or at least just a step or two away).

Jintor
May 19, 2014

i got very confused by the word "King" there for a second

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me
Yeah, no spoilers please.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

khy posted:

I think it's more that different people perceive Saitama's strength differently. What I mean is, I think that a punch that disintegrates a monster's head would seem, to me, vastly stronger than a punch which send him flying or knocks him out.

Maybe it's because I've seen too many instances of 'super strong guy punches bad guy, bad guy goes crashing through buildings/flying through the air'. Saitama seems like he's meant to be depicted as stronger than the usual tropes and the best way to depict that is with the hilarious gore mixed in with the usual stuff.

Just my opinion of course.

When Saitama punches something or someone so hard that it explodes, people just assume what or whoever he punched was really fragile and prone to bursting.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

But really, the gore I can take or leave but I don't think there's any real reason to be afraid that it'll get toned down. Instead, it'll be probably be censored for TV and uncensored for blu-ray. Like in Jojo, where shadows cover up offending elements of a scene anytime someone gets impaled or smokes a cigarette.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Shugojin posted:

Ehhh, if somebody makes a giant hole in the wall, who WOULDN'T try to use it? Only reason the other prisoners didn't try is because they know they're not fast enough.

Oh well I guess that makes it okay that the prisoner broke out of jail since there was a hole there.

No man, it's cool, I only stole this money because there was a hole in the safe, I'm not really a bad guy!

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

khy posted:

Honestly I think you could accomplish that with Looney Toons style super stretching.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Crain posted:

Honestly I think you could accomplish that with Looney Toons style super stretching.

http://bato.to/read/_/162490/onepunch-man_ch8v2_by_boon-scanlation/22

As long as it has the eyeball.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

RareAcumen posted:

Oh well I guess that makes it okay that the prisoner broke out of jail since there was a hole there.

No man, it's cool, I only stole this money because there was a hole in the safe, I'm not really a bad guy!

A completely non-violent escape where you don't even cause any property damage is pretty low on the morally bad things to do. It's not like you gave your word to stay there and now you're breaking it. In and of itself, morally less bad than parking in a handicap spot when you aren't handicapped.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It would be pretty funny if they used Hokuto no Ken-style censorship. Unlikely, but funny.

Jintor
May 19, 2014

sonic hasn't really done anything bad bad aside from the random attacking people to try and get saitama to fight him but he's still definitely a grade a jackass

Astus
Nov 11, 2008

Jintor posted:

sonic hasn't really done anything bad bad aside from the random attacking people to try and get saitama to fight him but he's still definitely a grade a jackass

Well, there was that time he threatened to kill all the other prisoners, just so he could pass the time. Kinda weird everyone forgot about that part.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Astus posted:

Well, there was that time he threatened to kill all the other prisoners, just so he could pass the time. Kinda weird everyone forgot about that part.

Man that was followed up by one of the best gently caress off moments in the series

'SHUTUUUUUUUP' :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jintor
May 19, 2014

Astus posted:

i don't know if they have freedom in speech in japaitama or whereever OPM is set but maybe it's just super freedom of speech

anyway one day he's gonna have his head punched in