Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Offler posted:

Laws like this absolutely have to be stupidly rigid though, since exactly 0.000% of pet owners will think that their precious little fluffy companion could possibly carry some nasty disease. If you leave any amount of "common sense" based wiggle room where it is up to the owner to make a judgement call on weather their pet needs to be quarantined or not, then you might as well not bother with the laws in the first place.

Guy was still an rear end in a top hat, of course, but I can really see where he felt that he had to come down hard on this. If he had just asked politely if Mr. Depp would please quarantine his pets, he'd risk opening up a national debate over weather these particular pets, belonging to this particular guy, really posed a serious risk or not. What if Depp had pinky promised that they had all their shots, or that they would leave in a couple of weeks anyway, so what's the big deal, etc etc. All of a sudden you'd have a bunch of idiots thinking about weather they should just try to bring their pets in on the sly the next time, because why bother paying for a bunch of shots and weeks of quarantine and poo poo when you know in your heart of hearts that your pampered little purse-dweller can't possibly be contaminated with anything?
Did he even offer the option to quarantine the pets? It seems like it was just "get them the gently caress out of the country or we're killing them"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

JT Jag posted:

Did he even offer the option to quarantine the pets? It seems like it was just "get them the gently caress out of the country or we're killing them"

Yeah, that's the bit that garnered so much attention.

He can take a hard line about the issue, but the whole "we're going to kill them in 50 hours" was a bit much.

Threaten to seize and quarantine them and send the bill to Depp if they aren't sent back, totally justifiable. Threatening to kill them just serves no purpose and even undercuts the overall message since the consequence is taken to a cartoon level of evil.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Honestly, gently caress Johnny Depp, as it is he's lucky he's not going to see any real legal punishment for smuggling his two stupid little dogs.

It's nice to see somebody talking about the actual business side of agriculture, and all the nasty dealings there. Normally people just are panicking about GMOs and animal living conditions. I know that a lot of farmers don't make much money and sometimes have to rely on government subsidies, but I didn't know that chicken farms were that kind of racket.

Offler
Mar 27, 2010
Yeah, telling Depp that the dogs will be forcibly quarantined and that he'll get to pay for it is a much more sensible approach.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Echo Chamber posted:

I think a lot of Oliver's bits lately are missing the "mic drop moment" that justify the preachy tone. We get anger, sympathetic figures, and jokes but we don't get a strong release of emotions by the end of a lot of the bits. I kind of need a bit of a stronger home run moment at the end of the extended bits if I want to share the story on Facebook or have water cooler talk about it at work. The show obviously doesn't want to retread The Daily Show, but it's a bit more obvious now where the advantages are in Stewart's format. Having correspondents and field pieces still grounds the comedy as "fake news". A weekly format that's less bound to the news cycle will obviously want to be less like that, but it's missing a lot of the meta-narrative stuff that helps keep it engaging.

I don't want to overstate the issues with the show, because it still makes me laugh. But the show could use some very slight retooling because the issues covered will usually be important but the emotional impact, comedic or serious, has reached a ceiling.

I think the civil asset forfeiture piece captured this perfectly. It both hit very high notes comedically (slush fund :lol:) and also succeeded in being really shocking to those of us that live on the other side of the planet in just how hosed up being an american can be. I've got friends who would never find themselves with a hundred miles of a documentary or a piece of investigative journalism but who will still gladly watch that piece because it just works. The real issue I think for the show going forward is that there is just not enough of hosed up poo poo to cover which leaves us with pieces such as the clothing one last week where it just falls flat because everyone is already well aware of it. The humour still works (:getout:) but the emotional impact just isn't there.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Offler posted:

Yeah, telling Depp that the dogs will be forcibly quarantined and that he'll get to pay for it is a much more sensible approach.

Why? All you do is send the message "sneak your animals in Australia, worst that happens is you get caught and go through the same procedure you would of if you'd just done it above board anyways". Why would anyone with access to a private jet (or other way of smuggling an animal in) not try it, in that case? If you just charged them extra for the quarantine, I doubt it'd disincentivise the idea for people as wealthy as Depp.

According to my GF, they actually just closed one of the two airport quarantine facilities recently, and you need to make an appointment/reservation for your animal's stay well in advance (presumably because they have a limited number of spaces). The quarantine people simply don't have the resources to deal with "walk ins" like that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Why? All you do is send the message "sneak your animals in Australia, worst that happens is you get caught and go through the same procedure you would of if you'd just done it above board anyways".

You actually send that message stronger with the threat of death as most normal well adjusted people would view government threatening to put down a family pet over an issue that has so many other avenues of action as an empty one.

Since we don't hear about the Australian government putting down Rover every other day, this is either an extremely edge case or the threat of euthanasia is in fact empty.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 18, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Then have him pay a large fee in addition to the quarantine, to offset the increased load. At least giving the option keeps them from sounding like animal-hating monsters.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Has anyone done a study on what the consequences of dropping all quarantine procedures, shipping a proverbial Noah's arc of animals, insects and plants into the country and let nature run its course for a decade or two?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Xoidanor posted:

Has anyone done a study on what the consequences of dropping all quarantine procedures, shipping a proverbial Noah's arc of animals, insects and plants into the country and let nature run its course for a decade or two?
Yeah, it's called "America for most of its existence"

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

JT Jag posted:

Yeah, it's called "America for most of its existence"

So no point in spending god knows how much enforcing quarantine procedures then?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Xoidanor posted:

So no point in spending god knows how much enforcing quarantine procedures then?

Depends how much you like your country being filled with rabid dogs I guess.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

The quarantine is more to keep Australia's fauna in, imo

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

I've never once seen a rabid animal in my 28 years of life in America so I think Australia will be fine.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Fans posted:

Depends how much you like your country being filled with rabid dogs I guess.

Please, it'll be wild boars and canadian geese who carve out dominance just like in every other country.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
American here, I don't think the rabid dogs are too bad, just have to wear gloves when I pull them off my front-mounted spike rack. Usually we just use dog plows to get around but sometimes it's best to cull the population.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

So, remember how millions of Native Americans died from European diseases when Europe was colonizing the Americas? That is a pretty good reason to have a pretty strict quarantine procedure in Australia. Yeah, those dogs are probably spayed/neutered, don't have any obvious diseases, and are probably somewhat well trained. But they might also be carrying some minor infectious disease that could wreak havoc in an ecosystem as isolated as Australia's. So yeah, the threat was sad because the dogs themselves didn't do anything wrong and they are someone's pets, but every now and then you hear a story in the US about a shelter getting hit by some disease that kills half of the dogs/cats/whatever else that they have and that is also pretty messed up. The thing about that though, is that those animals technically are already living with having some exposure to that disease and it still kills a bunch of them, so it can probably only get worse if it hits Australian animals who might not have any exposure to something that alien.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

American here, I don't think the rabid dogs are too bad, just have to wear gloves when I pull them off my front-mounted spike rack. Usually we just use dog plows to get around but sometimes it's best to cull the population.
Only have to break out the dog plows twice a year after their biannual estrus, really

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Nice, turns out my congressman is one of the chicken fuckers.

Xoidanor posted:

Well, there are the hundreds of years of humans completely loving over the ecosystems of newly discovered lands by introducing poo poo like pigs, rats, snakes, and disease. For a plant example, all of the Southeastern US is just Kudzu now.

Fateo McMurray posted:

I've never once seen a rabid animal in my 28 years of life in America so I think Australia will be fine.

I've never once seen a wild python in all my years of life in America so I think the Everglades will be fine.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Gyges posted:

I've never once seen a wild python in all my years of life in America so I think the Everglades will be fine.

Your parents never took you to a zoo? I'm sorry :(

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Fateo McMurray posted:

The big way humans become infected in the US is that they get bitten by a bat and don't even realize it. How often you notice even non-rabid bats in your environment?

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Fateo McMurray posted:

Your parents never took you to a zoo? I'm sorry :(

I'm sorry to say that the meaning of his post escaped you.

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

Gyges posted:

For a plant example, all of the Southeastern US is just Kudzu now.

I'm sorry I'm sorry! That was just a mean prank gone wrong!

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

The cane toad invasion is a good reason to limit incoming species too.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

Grinning Goblin posted:

So, remember how millions of Native Americans died from European diseases when Europe was colonizing the Americas? That is a pretty good reason to have a pretty strict quarantine procedure in Australia. Yeah, those dogs are probably spayed/neutered, don't have any obvious diseases, and are probably somewhat well trained. But they might also be carrying some minor infectious disease that could wreak havoc in an ecosystem as isolated as Australia's. So yeah, the threat was sad because the dogs themselves didn't do anything wrong and they are someone's pets, but every now and then you hear a story in the US about a shelter getting hit by some disease that kills half of the dogs/cats/whatever else that they have and that is also pretty messed up. The thing about that though, is that those animals technically are already living with having some exposure to that disease and it still kills a bunch of them, so it can probably only get worse if it hits Australian animals who might not have any exposure to something that alien.

John even could have covered this in the show last night by touching on the bird flu outbreak that took out millions of birds this year, and that was just a case of a strain migrating from one portion of the country to another. I don't blame Australia for wanting to keep as tight a grip on what comes in as they do.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Freaquency posted:

John even could have covered this in the show last night by touching on the bird flu outbreak that took out millions of birds this year, and that was just a case of a strain migrating from one portion of the country to another. I don't blame Australia for wanting to keep as tight a grip on what comes in as they do.

It's also a country where that kind of control is actually viable, because the entire landmass is under a single government. For other continents, if even one country decides they just don't care, then the whole continent is basically hosed because you aren't going to stop animal migration across land borders. Diseases are also a big issue because like you said, even just a strain going somewhere new can have a devastating effect on the population, and Australia's ecosystem is a lot more isolated than most, so there are probably a ton of things out there that the local wildlife has literally no immunity against because it's just never been encountered.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Xoidanor posted:

Australia exists, yes.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Xoidanor posted:

Certain individuals in the 19th century had this same line of thinking. It didn't end well.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Xoidanor posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Acclimatization_Society

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
See Also: Cane Toads, Zebra Mussels, Asian Carp, Emerald Ash Borers, House Sparrows, Panama Disease, and Starlings.

e: Hang on, someone introduced Starlings and House Sparrows on purpose? gently caress you Schieffelin.

YggiDee fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 19, 2015

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

quote:

The group's charter explained its goal was to introduce "such foreign varieties of the animal and vegetable kingdom as may be useful or interesting."

What the hell are you doing with that Durian, Bob?

I think it would be interesting to introduce this member of the vegetable kingdom to South Carolina. Jacksonian Democrats for life, you Calhoun loving fuckers!

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Gyges posted:

I like this. Also, I grew up in FL and I legit saw gigantic non-native pythons in my backyard growing up. They're a huge issue.

The best example for Australia is still rabbits. loving rabbits.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Pinky Artichoke posted:

The big way humans become infected in the US is that they get bitten by a bat and don't even realize it. How often you notice even non-rabid bats in your environment?

Pretty often at dusk in warm weather.

Also how do you get bitten by a bat and not realize it?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

While you're sleeping is my guess. But you have to invite a bat into your home first before that can happen.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's not too terribly uncommon to get a bat in your house.

Even if you know the bat is there and don't think you got bitten, that's no guarantee that you didn't. Small bat bites need magnification to see and can cause no pain at all.

Better yet, rabies can lay dormant in a human for months or even years before you eventually die from it. Are you sure that brush you felt in your hair the last time you walked through a wooded area at night was really a branch? You sure that light touch of the neck was really just a insect when you were sitting around a campfire?

Sleep tight.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 19, 2015

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Fateo McMurray posted:

Also how do you get bitten by a bat and not realize it?
Check out Mr. Fastidious keeping track of every little rodent bite.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Solice Kirsk posted:

While you're sleeping is my guess. But you have to invite a bat into your home first before that can happen.

If you want to sleep with an open window, you have to take special precaution though. Scattering seeds or rice on your windowsill usually does the trick.

I love how in their charter, the bar for introducing species is as low as "I think it would be interesting."

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

bull3964 posted:

It's not too terribly uncommon to get a bat in your house.

Whoosh.

It was a vampire joke.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Slamhound posted:

Check out Mr. Fastidious keeping track of every little rodent bite.

said some surf, pre-black death

Mr. Fowl posted:

If you want to sleep with an open window, you have to take special precaution though. Scattering seeds or rice on your windowsill usually does the trick.

so will a screen

Fateo McMurray fucked around with this message at 04:32 on May 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

joepinetree posted:

Whoosh.

It was a vampire joke.

• Locked thread