Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

ProfessorBooty posted:

A very well thought out response.

I'm ragging on the devs mostly because they've come up with a whole bunch of really cool stuff, and then some things that are just kinda meh or don't add a lot IMO. But hey, you can't please everyone.

Aside from that, it's very cool to hear that you can edit your .ini to change things up a bit! I know you've also mentioned the Dev Console that you can use in mission, which is a cool thing to let you change things if they modify Perks in the various classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

ProfessorBooty posted:

2. The base game, especially the AI and 'pod' mechanics just aren't good enough. A lot of exploits could be perfectly solvable by a much smarter AI.

Don't worry. The AI can cheat too

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Hah, yeah I saw that one. I don't think that's a case of cheating AI as much as it is a buggy map. The AI cheats in weird ways - If the AI has vision on one soldier, they know the location of every one of your soldiers. I think the AI knows if moving some place will make them flanked, or give them a flank, regardless of whether or not they can see any of your soldiers (I may be mistaken on this point, but I think it comes into play in the next video).

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Sad to hear that MEC's are so expensive in Long War, visually they are a great counterpoint to the soldiers. Who doesn't like a big mechy thing punchshooting aliens for earth?

Adding in to the chorus of holy crap Van Dorn, that was some clutch shooting. The snipers performed very well too.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

ProfessorBooty posted:

Using a tanky-punchy MEC is almost completely non-viable right now, the MEC can only tank only a couple shots before suffering from an injury. Instead of making the MECs more tanky, they're giving officers an ability: 'command', which allows the officer to 'give' their yellow move to a soldier that has used all their moves for the round (with some exceptions). So, in the next iteration, you can send your MEC out to punch a bad guy, then give them an extra move so they can get out of the line of fire (I came up with a new MEC build specifically for this, and I can't wait to show it).

I'm still having a blast, and though it sucks when an alloy plating gets damaged, I kind of plan for it and its not so bad. I think the problem is two-fold:
1. There's no way to remove exploitable tactics without removing a lot of fun for other people. I don't like exploiting anything, so when nerfs come it just makes me sad - in my opinion if people find a tactic too exploitable they should edit the ini to make their game harder, or put conditions on their own play, like people who play MGS3 in European Extreme with no kills and no tranquillizer pistol, the only condition the game actually enforces is the difficulty level (An analog would be people who play shiv-com with only one soldier designated as the volunteer). If you want to make a game with no exploits, you made chess.
2. The base game, especially the AI and 'pod' mechanics just aren't good enough. A lot of exploits could be perfectly solvable by a much smarter AI.

I love mechanics like this since Dungeons & Dragons 4th Edition and I honestly can't wait to see this spread out to other tactical games. I'm loving it :allears:

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Youtube Links: Mission 20 | Strategy 20

We're past any potential fatigue troubles for now. Here's a mission that shows my neurotic fear of thin men. I would like to welcome Nekomimi-Maiden as a new PFC, she will tour HQ and meet everyone after she recovers from a bout of something the doctors are calling 'severe plasma burns after getting shot point blank'. Unfortunately XCOM health insurance policies don't kick in until after thirty days so hopefully she didn't ditch her last policy before joining our ranks.

:siren:Congratulations Zore on making Corporal! Zore needs a nickname!:siren:

Perk Talk

Will To Survive v. Opportunist v. Aggression

Opportunist removes the penalty for reaction fire, and allows reaction fire to crit, aggression gives you up to +30% crit chance, +10% for each enemy in the soldiers sightrange, not including squadsight.

Opportunist is one of the pillars of most everybody's infantry build - opportunist is an amazing perk and I used to take it on all my infantry, no matter the role. My new officer infantry/tank build is going to use Will to Survive, and I'll stick with Opportunist on my overwatch infantries. Aggression is good for 'damage' infantry, which is another one of my favorites. Opportunist and covering fire can make alien capture attempts extremely safe.

Low Profile v. Gunslinger v. Lone Wolf

Hey, we talked about all these before! :)

I take Low Profile on 'urban snipers' (snipers that tend to be shorter range, and stick closer to the squad), and Lone Wolf on most other snipers.

I used to be a fan of the gunslinger sniper, it was nice to have a sniper that didn't need people sticking around to protect against floaters and seekers (as much), and was also handy to have for a breech. The problem is that sniper rifles have a terrible mobility penalty already, and taking a machine pistol or something kills that mobility even further - machine pistols aren't even particularly amazing. That said, my gunslinger sniper on a prior campaign lasted me the whole game, and I took her on the final mission and the gunslinging came in handy on most missions (even the last). Low Profile is simply too good to pass up.

If I were to make an urban sniper in the late game then I would give her Gunslinger, because chances are she will be in flying armor.

The Foundry

We got a new foundry, which means we get to talk about new stuff the foundry offers. This is going to be super-summarized in addition to my opinion on the project.

Enhanced Ballistics: Unlocks an item you can give your soldiers to do more damage with projectile-based guns. Cheap and worth getting, more damage is almost always better than more aim.

Mag pistols: Gives pistol-type weapons a +8% chance to crit. Get it when you want to give Dr. Shen something to keep himself occupied. It's cheap.

Shiv suppression: Allows your shivs to suppress - kind of useful, but unfortunately shivs don't take cover, so the chance of them getting shot by the person they're suppressing is very high. Super niche and it can wait.

Alien Metallurgy: Gives you +20% alloys from all missions - this used to be a foundry project that only buffed alloy collection from crashed UFOs. It's absolutely vital now.

Aircraft Boosters: Unlocks boosters you can buy for your aircraft. Cheap and worth getting, but you still have to buy the boosters.

Improved Salvage: +20% weapon fragments from all missions. I may go for this eventually, because apparently late game projects take asinine amounts of weapon fragments. Costs too many alloys right now.

Security training Weapons/Armor: For a base defense mission the security personnel get to use spare laser rifles and phalanx armor. It's really cheap, but won't help keep security personnel from being bullet-catcher meat-shields. May as well pick it up in case you do have the spares.

Exalt

We finally got our first Exalt sabotage! We plan on scanning for Exalt approximately every seven days, and we'll probably be sending assaults as covert operatives more often then not.

Exalt can remove a bunch of research from what you're currently researching (so research little projects if you think a sabotage is coming), raise panic in one country, or steal money. Money can go negative - it may seem cheesy but I kind of see where the developers are coming from, as any player in vanilla would just know to keep money low when an exalt sabotage is coming. I like to think that Bradford was tricked by a Nigerian 419 scam.

The covert missions have changed, but we'll talk about them when they come up.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Guess I gotta wait till the next mission to see my Nickname and if I get that offer promotion.

Nice new editing Prof, cutting the video down by half makes it a lot more watchable and less skipping things. And having the strat talk as a 2nd video means I can now watch it on the side if I get bored.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Wow Commander Booty, you ARE really goddamn afraid of thin-man aren't you? I wasn't sure to believe the note to skip to 19 minutes for the action so I watched a bit, but that was a solid 10 minutes of you positioning for them. And then all they proceeded to do is run around like headless chickens until they got shot.

Don't worry Nekomimi-Maiden, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!

Gridlocked posted:

Guess I gotta wait till the next mission to see my Nickname and if I get that offer promotion.

Nice new editing Prof, cutting the video down by half makes it a lot more watchable and less skipping things. And having the strat talk as a 2nd video means I can now watch it on the side if I get bored.

Actually, the second video is the after mission base talk where he goes over the research/foundry projects and covers any UFOs! You might find it particularly relevant to your interests of whether or not you became an officer and what nickname you got!

Dooky Dingo
Feb 17, 2011

Gym badge day is a VERY dangerous day!
I vote we nickname Zore to "Hurtz" as an homage to one of my favorite jokes from Aladdin.
"I'm Zore."
"You're Zore?"
"Well, it Hurtz."

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Woo! Goin' on a mission!...
...I'm okay! I'll just, uh, need to get some cybernetic... everythings. Ow.

Yeah, rookie with an assault rifle is basically doomed to failure. Hopefully this doesn't bench me forever.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Nekomimi-Maiden posted:

Woo! Goin' on a mission!...
...I'm okay! I'll just, uh, need to get some cybernetic... everythings. Ow.

Yeah, rookie with an assault rifle is basically doomed to failure. Hopefully this doesn't bench me forever.

You didn't actually go down - you have the 'gravely wounded' status but you never took a hit to your will.

I don't know what I was thinking with that last move - sloppy. I guess I was convinced the seekers would go into stealth mode, or maybe I thought you'd make a good tank! :downs:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Is it I that is insane... or the rest of the world?
Welcome to X-Com!

To congratulate you on your choice of joining us, you may partake in the traditional "getting shot in the face with a plasma rifle" plastic surgery.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Planechat question: You have a plane in the US with 16 days till fixed, but CaptainFoo on US vacation - do they repair faster in the less stressed Eurohanger or what?

Cause it seems like it'd be worth switching them now so when he gets his plane fixed he's ready to go immediately.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Veloxyll posted:

Planechat question: You have a plane in the US with 16 days till fixed, but CaptainFoo on US vacation - do they repair faster in the less stressed Eurohanger or what?

Cause it seems like it'd be worth switching them now so when he gets his plane fixed he's ready to go immediately.

It takes the same amount of time to transfer regardless. It may be the case that I will simply purchase a brand new interceptor in the US anyway, so its best to transfer airplanes when making a purchase, or when one is ready.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Oh god I'm the covert agent. May Solomon and Gupta have mercy on my soul.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
This will be your first sneaking mission. The arms will naturally have to be procured on-site.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Dooky Dingo posted:

I vote we nickname Zore to "Hurtz" as an homage to one of my favorite jokes from Aladdin.
"I'm Zore."
"You're Zore?"
"Well, it Hurtz."

I'm tossing my hat in for this one, that's too good a nostalgia pun to pass up.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 19, 2015

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Hey, at least it wasn't an inanimate object that got you Neko. :v:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I hope going on missions where things get buggy (wonky enemies, the door glitch) and someone gets seriously injured doesn't become a thing for me.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Oof. There was next to no preventing that with that positioning. Better luck next time, catgirl.

Also, for Zore, I'm partial to 8-ball because of the helmet. It's shiny and black.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I forgot to mention I am really looking forward to scatterlaser now that it isn't an ammo downgrade. More aim to make across the map lonewolf shotgun snipes. :getin:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

ProfessorBooty posted:

This will be your first sneaking mission. The arms will naturally have to be procured on-site.

Given X-Coms obsession with hacking limbs off (at least in the main game), the "arms" part could be taken very, very literally.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hey, i got mentioned again! wait, wh- :smith:

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008
Harmonicas sound nice... Until you realize your arms are unprotected and "shot in the arm" accounts for about 50% of XCOM casualties so far.

Captain Foo posted:

hey, i got mentioned again! wait, wh- :smith:

:smith::hf::smith:

I can totally understand why I got swapped out though. SgtSteel blew the gently caress out of that wall.

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
Oh wow, I should really be checking on this more often. I completely missed my first mission. And promoted for just being there.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Yay my dude shot a thing!

The amount of stuff you have available to manufacture, research, foundryise.. is really overwhelming. It is so much more than vanilla. Do you have a plan of what to go for you are sticking to or is it something you have to play by ear due to what resources you get. For instance if you had loads more meld at this point would you be doing something different?

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
When it says "Squad Size limited on this mission" does that mean you have not unlocked that slot yet, or you are being limited to 6 people still on certain missions?

You're lucky in your bad luck Nekomimi! It could have been much worse for you.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
^^^^
Squad size 2 will give us 8 soldiers, so until we unlock squad size 2 there's that placeholder space.

Phrosphor posted:

Yay my dude shot a thing!

The amount of stuff you have available to manufacture, research, foundryise.. is really overwhelming. It is so much more than vanilla. Do you have a plan of what to go for you are sticking to or is it something you have to play by ear due to what resources you get. For instance if you had loads more meld at this point would you be doing something different?

A lot of this is playing by ear. There is a lot of noise to begin with, such as shiv suppression (its handy to have, but not a very reliable skill for a low defense unit). Getting the projects that give extra resources are the ones to pay attention to the most in the early game. Enhanced ballistics aren't so necessary if you plan on replacing ballistics with lasers (may come in handy someday, its just less of a priority). Honestly, a lot of this play through is me playing by ear - I've never had a game like this before, even when I start a new practice campaign it ends up being a lot more 'normal' than this campaign. This is a good and bad thing, its a bad thing because XCOM is in a very tactically weak situation, but at the same time we're in a very strategically strong position, especially given how our interceptors have been able to stretch conventional weapons so far, how low overall world wide panic is, and not to mention not losing any soldiers so far.

I did a bunch of excel-com recently, so I have my grand research strategy figured out. It's kind of insane but I think it will give us a lot of spare resources in the long run that will help us roll out MECs.

ProfessorBooty fucked around with this message at 08:28 on May 20, 2015

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
You got my hopes up so much when you were like "Gonna change your colour so you don't complain" Professor.

I was all :dance: I AM THE STORMTROOPER OF XCOM.

Then I was :barf: Baby Poop Green.

You sneaky devil.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Youtube Link

Another UFO gives us another chance at more training. I realized when making the squad that we were pretty lucky the last UFO was so light, so I chose to bring two rookies instead of three and I'm pretty glad I did. Didn't gather any meld though :(.

I went a little crazy with the editing - I probably won't do it exactly like this in the future. I wanted to see if I could small crashed UFO footage short enough to allow for a double feature (I wasn't), but at least its quite a bit shorter than usual. Also, I'm still getting the hang of moving the tokens across the screen, so expect jankiness (I think I figured out a good system for doing this - at video 24).

I was able to trim Mission 23 and 24 to about 25 minutes, and to get the LP moving along I'm modifying next week's schedule: Monday will be Mission 22, Wednesday will be Mission 23, and Friday will be Mission 24. Hooray!

:siren:Congratulations Kurieg and Rogue0071 in making Corporal! Kureig and Rogue0071 needs a nickname!:siren:

Earlier Dinictus suggested Dead Center for Kurieg.

I'm going to throw out Ninety-Nine for Rogue0071, in memory of the 99 percent Cryssalid during the Site Recon op.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Toned down sir!

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 23, 2015

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Hey man, I appreciate the energy but can you tone it down a little bit? :)

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
If the nicknames allow for Ascii characters you could always go with ±3 Tiles for me
:negative:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

ProfessorBooty posted:

Hey man, I appreciate the energy but can you tone it down a little bit? :)

He's just excited to see X-Com save Melbourne from the alien menace.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

I don't know how much effort the extra editing is, but the minimap view with the icons was pretty drat cool.

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

Hnng that editing is so good!

Well, apart from that one where you were like "yeah we're gonna skip this" and then you didn't, but that doesn't count.

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

Yami Fenrir posted:

Hnng that editing is so good!

Well, apart from that one where you were like "yeah we're gonna skip this" and then you didn't, but that doesn't count.

I didn't consider at the time accidentally activating the outsider 1 minute later :v:

Yami Fenrir
Jan 25, 2015

ProfessorBooty posted:

I didn't consider at the time accidentally activating the outsider 1 minute later :v:

Of course. It's just funny when you're first watching it.

"We're totally skipping this, guys!"

Not shown: skipping.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Booty and Kidneyman, I have just loved the quick little backround blurbs for any new soldiers that you always come up with, it's just an extra little touch to make them come alive a bit more that makes me grin. Also 'listening' for that seeker, I couldn't stop chuckling. :allears:

As for nicknames, I'm gonna put forth 'Fieldgoal' for Kurieg because he's hit every rocket in book. Sometimes it just doesn't hit any aliens.

And dang it Booty, I was holding out for one Rogue promoted to propose the someone along the lines of 1% or The One Percent because I like my nicknames to be rich with humor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark

SaffronKit posted:

Booty and Kidneyman, I have just loved the quick little backround blurbs for any new soldiers that you always come up with, it's just an extra little touch to make them come alive a bit more that makes me grin. Also 'listening' for that seeker, I couldn't stop chuckling. :allears:

As for nicknames, I'm gonna put forth 'Fieldgoal' for Kurieg because he's hit every rocket in book. Sometimes it just doesn't hit any aliens.

And dang it Booty, I was holding out for one Rogue promoted to propose the someone along the lines of 1% or The One Percent because I like my nicknames to be rich with humor!

If I want a soldier to have a certain nickname, I'll give it to her or him - if I'm just throwing out an idea, it means I'm just voting (mostly) fairly, don't let my suggestions discourage you from making your own. Also, nicknames have an 11 character limit, which really sucks IMO.

• Locked thread