Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Alright goons. I currently have a 2010 Toyota Corolla (LE? I think) I bought it new in February of 2011 and I have roughly 126k miles on it. I drive a ton for my job. I'm starting to have some AC compressor problems that can only be fixed by replacing the thing for 1200 bucks. I only owe like 2 grand on the car.

I'm thinking it's time for a new vehicle.

Given how much driving I'm doing, I'd imagine new is the way to go. I'm certainly open to suggestions though. I put 25-30k miles on my car a year though.

Currently my car payment is 289 a month, over 60 months. I put nothing down on it and had 0% interest during the 60 months. Keeping within 30 bucks a month of my current payment would be ideal. So would not putting money down if I can help it.

As far as features, I'm pretty happy with what I have. 4 doors, AC, power Windows, A jack for my ipod/phone (though Bluetooth would be preferable as would a hands free calling system). Other than that I don't care about sunroofs, and I'm not even entirely sure what other bells and whistles exist to make my driving life easier that have come out in the last 5 years.

Brand-wise, I really like my Corolla, but would be open to checking out other cars on recommendation.

I think that covers everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

*whispers* Prriiiiiiuuuuussssssssssssssss

e: having said that, you don't really need a new car

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Saxophone posted:

Alright goons. I currently have a 2010 Toyota Corolla (LE? I think) I bought it new in February of 2011 and I have roughly 126k miles on it. I drive a ton for my job. I'm starting to have some AC compressor problems that can only be fixed by replacing the thing for 1200 bucks. I only owe like 2 grand on the car.

I'm thinking it's time for a new vehicle.

Given how much driving I'm doing, I'd imagine new is the way to go. I'm certainly open to suggestions though. I put 25-30k miles on my car a year though.

Currently my car payment is 289 a month, over 60 months. I put nothing down on it and had 0% interest during the 60 months. Keeping within 30 bucks a month of my current payment would be ideal. So would not putting money down if I can help it.

As far as features, I'm pretty happy with what I have. 4 doors, AC, power Windows, A jack for my ipod/phone (though Bluetooth would be preferable as would a hands free calling system). Other than that I don't care about sunroofs, and I'm not even entirely sure what other bells and whistles exist to make my driving life easier that have come out in the last 5 years.

Brand-wise, I really like my Corolla, but would be open to checking out other cars on recommendation.

I think that covers everything.

Repair the Corolla, put another 125k miles on it. You have a good shot at going to a quarter million.

If you really want a new car and you say that you like Toyotas. Just get a drat Prius.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Totally understandable if you have an itch to scratch, but having a car you like and no monthly payment is a great place to be. That $1200 repair pays for itself after a few months of no payments. Assuming you've taken care of it, the upkeep should be very cheap vs. replacement.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Also, if you get a used compressor, bet it is 600.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I'll be honest, I have a bit of an itch. I spend 2+ hours a day in my car and there are some neat whistles I wish I had.

I'll start checking out Priuses though. Are they a car I could potentially drive for a really long time like the Corolla? I know almost nothing about them save for what I'm googling right now.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Saxophone posted:

I'll be honest, I have a bit of an itch. I spend 2+ hours a day in my car and there are some neat whistles I wish I had.

I'll start checking out Priuses though. Are they a car I could potentially drive for a really long time like the Corolla? I know almost nothing about them save for what I'm googling right now.

You haven't really driven the Corolla a long time, it has a lot of life left in it unless you forgot to change the oil for 100k miles, but yes, Priuses are beyond bulletproof even by Toyota standards.

As far as gizmos, I see you mentioned bluetooth/hands free. You can get a bluetooth kajigger for $100> that goes in the cigarette lighter and plugs into the aux jack, which is quite a bit cheaper than an entire new car.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

IRQ posted:

You haven't really driven the Corolla a long time, it has a lot of life left in it unless you forgot to change the oil for 100k miles, but yes, Priuses are beyond bulletproof even by Toyota standards.

As far as gizmos, I see you mentioned bluetooth/hands free. You can get a bluetooth kajigger for $100> that goes in the cigarette lighter and plugs into the aux jack, which is quite a bit cheaper than an entire new car.

You could even go so far as to replace to the radio/headunit for a couple hundred.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Or you could stop talking on the phone while driving. Studies show hands free isn't really safer.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

nm posted:

Or you could stop talking on the phone while driving. Studies show hands free isn't really safer.

It's more a convenience factor when I'm sitting in my car replying to/sending emails and someone calls. I work in Illinois so I'm out of the habit of talking and driving anyway. Stupid state legally reinforcing safety and keeping people's attention on the road. Hmph.

I suppose I'll get my car thoroughly inspected to make sure there's nothing wrong mechanically (save for the AC compressor) and consider keeping her. I'm sure that new car itch will pass if I start looking at my monthly payments on a new car. I will say I'm extremely interested in the Prius now, though.

Since I'm looking anyway are there any must-haves if I do get a new Prius? I've seen the reverse cameras and such and they're awesome.

the tingler
Jul 15, 2009
Stupid question - have you all every heard of dealerships giving a "bulk discount" to a group of 2 or more people all wanting to lease the same car?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

burritonegro posted:

Stupid question - have you all every heard of dealerships giving a "bulk discount" to a group of 2 or more people all wanting to lease the same car?

Yes.
There was a groupbuy for Fiat 500es in California a few months ago. Like 99/mo.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

nm posted:

C'mon, bluetooth audio both for phone calls and music streaming is one of the few tech things that really make an impact to everyday usability of modern cars.

Can you show me a study comparing hands-free phone conversation to conversation with a passenger?

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

What do you goons think about truecar.com ? There seems to be much better pricing but maybe less room to wiggle on it? I'm sure there's a drawback/downside but it's not readily apparent.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Saxophone posted:

What do you goons think about truecar.com ? There seems to be much better pricing but maybe less room to wiggle on it? I'm sure there's a drawback/downside but it's not readily apparent.

You can always negotiate a better deal than any car buying service. If you hate negotiations and will die of a panic attack if you try, it'll give you a middle of the road deal.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Cool, it was showing like 21.8 I think for a 2015 Prius 3 so it seemed kind of like that.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Saxophone posted:

I suppose I'll get my car thoroughly inspected to make sure there's nothing wrong mechanically (save for the AC compressor) and consider keeping her. I'm sure that new car itch will pass if I start looking at my monthly payments on a new car. I will say I'm extremely interested in the Prius now, though.
If nothing else, start saving what you would be spending on a monthly payment and then have a bigger down payment / more emergency fund.

There was a video way on back that describes getting a beater for two or three years instead of a new car and then buying the 'new' car used with the money saved and then repeating that cycle and saving the difference and getting A MILLION DOLLARS by the end of it all. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

I need a car. My last car was was a '95 Accord that I drove into the ground and I loved it. I've been without a car for four years, taking public transportation and borrowing cars from friends and family on occasion. I am very tired of that and am now financially stable enough to buy one. I'm trying to decide whether to go with a cheapo car to get by for a few years or pay more and get something more reliable in the long-run. Going the cheapo route would allow me to live on a more relaxed budget, which would be sweet (more savings, more toys).

Proposed Budget: $3000-$10,000

New or Used: Used

Body Style: Sedan or hatchback, prefer 4-door. The roomier, the better (6'4" 250lbs). For reference, Civics and CRVs I've driven have been a bit too small for me.

How will you be using the car?: This is why my budget starts at a low range - I am now working from home so no more commute! I won't need to drive it everyday and most of the driving will be for errands or to friends' houses and so forth. I would like to occasionally make longer trips (100-200 miles), including mountain roads, without worrying about reliability/weather conditions. I live in Portland OR so it does not snow often, but some winters it does and ice can be common. It would be nice to be able to make a 1,000 mile drive to visit friends, but if I can take a train instead and spend thousands less on a car, that's a no-brainer.

Do you prefer a luxury vehicle with all the gizmos? I like the roominess of luxury comfort but don't care about gizmos. I've browsed the thread and see that the Prius is highly recommended. Besides disliking the way it looks, I really don't like the display screen. That might sound like a stupid complaint, but I recently drove a Honda Crosstour for a couple of months and it had one of those screens and I loving hated it. The reverse cam was kind of cool but I'd rather be able to see out the rear windows/windshield and see for myself. This is probably not going to be an issue for cars available in my budget.

What aspects are most important to you? Reliability and low-maintenance. MPG doesn't concern me as much at this point but it's always nice. My neighborhood is kind of lovely so I'm a little worried about getting a Honda because of the theft potential. It's not a huge concern, but worth mentioning.

With the above in mind, I've been looking on craigslist for Accords, Subarus (not Foresters, I don't really like SUVs), and Prius's even though I don't like 'em. I've heard that Acuras and Nissans can also be reliable, but I know that can change depending on year and model. I guess I like Japanese cars.

Thanks for any advice!

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
You can get an aftermarket backup camera if you really want one.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Fire Storm posted:

I have more of a "is this a stupid plan" more than "which car should I buy" question.
An update to this, ended up getting a 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (3.6L EcoBoost 4WD), 30k miles for $35,993 certified pre-owned. Paid $17.9k down, got an absolutely poo poo-tastic finance rate of 10%, leaving me with payments of $500 a month. I'm gonna try and pay an additional $10k in a month or two and refinancing it.

I started to like the Transit (and Edge) less and less looking at them and just decided to go Explorer. Didn't get the blue I wanted, but the red is nice.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

VideoTapir posted:

The aftermarket camera solutions available look really janky IMHO. Would be interested in seeing if anybody has an experience to the contrary.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Twerk from Home posted:

C'mon, bluetooth audio both for phone calls and music streaming is one of the few tech things that really make an impact to everyday usability of modern cars.

Can you show me a study comparing hands-free phone conversation to conversation with a passenger?

http://www.psych.utah.edu/AppliedCognitionLab/DrivingAssessment2003.pdf

quote:

We performed an initial comparison of driving while using a hand-held versus hands-free
cell-phone. Both hand-held and hands-free cell-phone conversations impaired driving. However,
there were no significant differences in the impairments caused by these two modes of cellular
communication

From the same people
http://unews.utah.edu/old/p/112608-2.html

quote:

But "when you take a look at the data, it turns out that a driver conversing with a passenger is not as impaired a driver talking on a cell phone," he says. "You see bigger lane deviations for someone talking on a cell phone compared with a driver talking to a passenger. You also find when there is a passenger in the car, almost everyone takes the exit. But half the people talking on the cell phone fail to take the exit."

Drews concludes: "Friends don't talk to their driving friends on cell phones."

Strayer adds: "The difference between a cell phone conversation and passenger conversation is due to the fact that the passenger is in the vehicle and knows what the traffic conditions are like, and they help the driver by reminding them of where to take an exit and pointing out hazards."
Stop talking on the phone and driving.

Also, an aux in port, which his car almost certainly has will plug into a cell phone just fine and stream music. He doesn't need a new loving car or even more than a $.20 cable from monoprice to do it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Fire Storm posted:

An update to this, ended up getting a 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (3.6L EcoBoost 4WD), 30k miles for $35,993 certified pre-owned. Paid $17.9k down, got an absolutely poo poo-tastic finance rate of 10%, leaving me with payments of $500 a month. I'm gonna try and pay an additional $10k in a month or two and refinancing it.

I started to like the Transit (and Edge) less and less looking at them and just decided to go Explorer. Didn't get the blue I wanted, but the red is nice.

Holy poo poo, 10%? I've never even heard of a car loan that high.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

VideoTapir posted:

I meant that it was the only thing I didn't hate about the car having a display, I'd rather not have a camera. Thanks though

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Internet Explorer posted:

My first car, which I got with a bad and limited credit history and cosigned with a parent with shittier credit history, was financed at 25%. On the plus side, my credit isn't poo poo anymore.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Mine's worse. Student loans are a bitch..

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Gnossiennes posted:

financed at 25%.

:monocle:

Holy gently caress.

That's incredible. My first car loan with very little credit was like 6-something%.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

LeeMajors posted:

Holy gently caress.

That's incredible. My first car loan with very little credit was like 6-something%.

I work in auto insurance and we see bill of sales frequently. Worst was a year or two old C class financed at 25%, think it was 72 months. 16k in total finance charges.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

LeeMajors posted:

Holy gently caress.

I had some bills go to collections a year or two before that, and my parents are the worst with money. I was pretty limited on financing options. But yeah, 25% on a $9900 suzuki forenza over 45 months. I paid it off a couple months early, but total plus interest was like $17,000?

It wasn't the greatest thing, but it was my best option at the time and having a car was critical. Also my car had GPS tracker and a thing that would audibly warn me if I was ever late on a payment and could like, deny usage if it got beyond 3 days late or something. I never was, so I don't know how true that it is, but tbqh that sounds so skeezy.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Michael Scott posted:

The aftermarket camera solutions available look really janky IMHO. Would be interested in seeing if anybody has an experience to the contrary.

A few people have had luck taking taking the backup camera from a Subaru Forester/Tribeca and installing it in a BRZ. I imagine similar things work well as long as you taking a oem part from another vehicle of the same brand.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Gnossiennes posted:

I had some bills go to collections a year or two before that, and my parents are the worst with money. I was pretty limited on financing options. But yeah, 25% on a $9900 suzuki forenza over 45 months. I paid it off a couple months early, but total plus interest was like $17,000?

It wasn't the greatest thing, but it was my best option at the time and having a car was critical. Also my car had GPS tracker and a thing that would audibly warn me if I was ever late on a payment and could like, deny usage if it got beyond 3 days late or something. I never was, so I don't know how true that it is, but tbqh that sounds so skeezy.

Not picking on you, I just didn't know loans went that high. Gives me chills thinking about it.

Bovril Delight posted:

I work in auto insurance and we see bill of sales frequently. Worst was a year or two old C class financed at 25%, think it was 72 months. 16k in total finance charges.

:negative:

Why the gently caress is this person buying a C-class with lovely credit? Maintenance charges will be through the roof too. Just go to craigslist and pay cash for a ten year old Corolla. Ugh.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Eh, a foreclosure and a being in default on a $13k credit card will do that. I'm surprised they gave me credit!

Gnossiennes posted:

My first car, which I got with a bad and limited credit history and cosigned with a parent with shittier credit history, was financed at 25%. On the plus side, my credit isn't poo poo anymore.
OH MY GOD. It would make sense to transfer to a credit card at that point!

LeeMajors posted:

Not picking on you, I just didn't know loans went that high. Gives me chills thinking about it.
No one denied credit! Oh sure, you may have a 50% interest rate, but we'll finance you!

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

I've got 6.99% on a '15 Focus - $16,599 financed plus $4000 down. Very little credit and it's my first car loan... I think I was like a week late on two college loan payments too. And ya'll said I got taken for a ride... never had a credit card or my own place, so I've got that in my favor as far as not missing bills goes. Could be cheaper, sure, even with a different Focus, or I could have gotten something off Craigslist for cash, but that would involve having a lesser car that I don't like as much.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

All of these rates honestly sound absurd. The dealership I bought from a month or so ago apologized that they could only get me 2.25% (as opposed to 2%) because I didn't have enough of a credit history.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

All of these rates honestly sound absurd. The dealership I bought from a month or so ago apologized that they could only get me 2.25% (as opposed to 2%) because I didn't have enough of a credit history.

Not much credit is very different from bad credit, hth.

Guni
Mar 11, 2010
Hey goons, is there anything mechanically or otherwise (with the exception of being boring to drive) wrong with automatic Mazda 2's of the 2008-2010 vintage?

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

So I just got a job and I have to move 300 miles. My current car is a 2003 Jeep Liberty which has a number of problems and it probably wouldn't make it that far. Basically my parents want to help me get a loan so I can get a car before I move. I really want something with a manual transmission, and I need something with a decent amount of space (for the front seats at least) because I'm tall. I don't have a ton of stuff to move so I don't need a huge truck to cart my poo poo.

Proposed Budget:
under $25k

New or Used:
doesn't matter

Body Style:
Some kind of sporty car or smaller SUV probably

How will you be using the car?:
For the time being I expect to do lots of 20-30 minute trips and occasional ~1-hour drives and infrequent ~6 hour drives

What aspects are most important to you?
Manual transmission, relatively low maintenance, 20+ mpg, space for tall dude and maybe occasional passengers, like the idea of luxury comfort but don't really care about gizmos beyond being able to plug in an mp3 player, 4/all wheel drive would be nice but not necessary, something that won't die on hills at highway speeds like my mom's wrangler does (lmao).

Thanks buds~

Also lol ty carmax :staredog::

Bakalakadaka fucked around with this message at 15:02 on May 23, 2015

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Bakalakadaka posted:

So I just got a job and I have to move 300 miles. My current car is a 2003 Jeep Liberty which has a number of problems and it probably wouldn't make it that far. Basically my parents want to help me get a loan so I can get a car before I move. I really want something with a manual transmission, and I need something with a decent amount of space (for the front seats at least) because I'm tall. I don't have a ton of stuff to move so I don't need a huge truck to cart my poo poo.

Proposed Budget:
under $25k

New or Used:
doesn't matter

Body Style:
Some kind of sporty car or smaller SUV probably

How will you be using the car?:
For the time being I expect to do lots of 20-30 minute trips and occasional ~1-hour drives and infrequent ~6 hour drives

What aspects are most important to you?
Manual transmission, relatively low maintenance, 20+ mpg, space for tall dude and maybe occasional passengers, like the idea of luxury comfort but don't really care about gizmos beyond being able to plug in an mp3 player, 4/all wheel drive would be nice but not necessary, something that won't die on hills at highway speeds like my mom's wrangler does (lmao).

Thanks buds~

WRX in a hatch?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Guni posted:

Hey goons, is there anything mechanically or otherwise (with the exception of being boring to drive) wrong with automatic Mazda 2's of the 2008-2010 vintage?

The auto both feels and is very slow. Great car otherwise though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Bovril Delight posted:

WRX in a hatch?

GTI? Used Golf R?