Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
Pocket mine 2 was fun, but as soon as I ran out of keys I was done. Is there any reason to keep playing after that point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Jorath posted:

Pocket mine 2 was fun, but as soon as I ran out of keys I was done. Is there any reason to keep playing after that point?

Generally, the reward for the extra quest is a key. You can usually finish those so you have at least one for the next run.

Does anyone know if the rewards in the chests get better the further down you go?

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

krampster2 posted:

Just got an Android a few days ago, is there an app or site that shows apps that have gone free that you guys would suggest? I remember having an app for that a while ago on iOS and I never payed for anything it was awesome.
Between this thread and the Appsales App, I find myself awash in great games for little to no money.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Two terrible questions, sorry if these are horrible repeats:

1) How is the Android port of the new Xcom? I've never had the time to buy or play the PC version. Does it work well as a poopbreak game, like it'll pause on a dime and never lose progress, etc? Anything else kind of like this worth looking at instead?

2) Are there any good Grog-lite kind of games on android? Like Close Combat, Unity of Command, or those like?

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Mehuyael posted:

You lucky goons and your surveys and free money. I'm not sure why but the app isn't available for me.

The app is only available for a small handful of countries, namely the US, UK, Australia, Canada, Germany, Italy, Japan and the Netherlands.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

Jorath posted:

Keys can be collected pretty easily. Every time you play an adventure mode round there is a 'mission' to use a specific crate type or collect a specific ore type that rewards you with a key. Also, the 'Daily lucky hit' mode or whatever often rewards 2-5 keys.
There's usually 2 or 3 other temporary modes that come and go, such as the 'May Mine' or whatever. These have special rewards if you can complete them, but the first 1-3 rounds of these modes almost always reward several keys.

I'm not sure how the treasure chest loot tables work, but I usually wait til I have 15-20 keys and then I only use them when I'm 250+ tiles or deeper on whatever adventure map I'm working on.

Re: KoP&P2. It's crazy how fast my opinion changed on this game after beating it. The game is way too short and too easy. Even if the game has literally 2x the main story missions it would feel short.

Baldbeard fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 19, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

2) Are there any good Grog-lite kind of games on android? Like Close Combat, Unity of Command, or those like?

The best you'll find are the John Tiller games (Panzer Command and Quang Tri '72 are the free ones, try both of those out). The interface is pretty bad but I spent half a flight running through the PzC tutorial missions and it's pretty simple once you get the hang of it.

I'd kill for Unity of Command on Android though.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Baldbeard posted:

Re: KoP&P2. It's crazy how fast my opinion changed on this game after beating it. The game is way too short and too easy. Even if the game has literally 2x the main story missions it would feel short.

Wow, thanks for that.. almost pulled the trigger.

In other news, $0.72 for visiting a Lowe's this weekend to buy a new toilet seat after the little rubber foot under the old seat fell off and got flushed. What a world.

ippon
Nov 16, 2012
Man, all these posts about going to Lowe's and home depot and getting rewards is crazy. I've been to both multiple times recently and nothing.

really looking forward to playing the kopp2 game one I have enough. I liked the first one since it was easy to jump in and play at work. plus the pixel art was pleasing.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ippon posted:

Man, all these posts about going to Lowe's and home depot and getting rewards is crazy. I've been to both multiple times recently and nothing.

Do you have Location Services turned on?

ippon
Nov 16, 2012

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Do you have Location Services turned on?

Yep, it's always on. Maybe it's a regional thing?

..btt
Mar 26, 2008

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

1) How is the Android port of the new Xcom? I've never had the time to buy or play the PC version. Does it work well as a poopbreak game, like it'll pause on a dime and never lose progress, etc? Anything else kind of like this worth looking at instead?

It's a fairly accurate port, even to the extent that it crashes about as regularly as the PC version (which is not that often, to be fair). You can load/save whenever you want just like in PC, so in that sense it's a fine poop-game, but later missions will need several visits to complete unless you want to develop horrendous piles.

Note, it is now playable on a Nexus 6, but still has a pretty severe lighting glitch. Nothing that stops you from completing missions / the game, but it's a little annoying. It's not well supported though. The game-breaking graphic corruption it had on the N6 seems to have been resolved by an OS update, not because they put out a patch, and they were already aware of the issue when I reported it in December.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

ippon posted:

Yep, it's always on. Maybe it's a regional thing?

Are you in the States? If not, not getting many surveys is par for the course, unfortunately. As I posted previously, my wife accidentally asnwered the 'trap' question incorrectly, was told by Google that they'll have to re-evaluate whether or not she'll get more surveys, and then got some more surveys. Meanwhile, I haven't gotten anything, no idea why. We're both in Canada, btw.

ippon
Nov 16, 2012
I'm in the states and get surveys semi-frequently. Just nothing about those two places. I haven't even got the fake water park survey yet either :(

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Drone posted:

The best you'll find are the John Tiller games (Panzer Command and Quang Tri '72 are the free ones, try both of those out). The interface is pretty bad but I spent half a flight running through the PzC tutorial missions and it's pretty simple once you get the hang of it.

Alright I've give those ones a spin. When I was searching for some, it seemed like everything was on iOS only. :/

..btt posted:

It's a fairly accurate port, even to the extent that it crashes about as regularly as the PC version (which is not that often, to be fair). You can load/save whenever you want just like in PC, so in that sense it's a fine poop-game, but later missions will need several visits to complete unless you want to develop horrendous piles.

Yeah that sounds fine by me, I'll give it a spin.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

ippon posted:

I'm in the states and get surveys semi-frequently. Just nothing about those two places. I haven't even got the fake water park survey yet either :(

Stay strong, friend; I only got my water park survey yesterday, finally.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Android Gaming: Water park survey is your rite of passage

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

new thread title
Android Gaming: Game talk but mostly we talk surveys.

Walgreens also triggers, I was there a week ago and I got 2 surveys, one that was 2 days after, and another that was today (About a week ago was my answer)
wonder if they were doing a checkup.

It seems like I'm getting a bit more surveys lately but I checked my history and basically I get about a dollar a month. I just haven't spent my surveybux on anything so I've amassed a huge $6.15 in surveybux.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I mostly get asked if I've been to Verizon, Target, or Kohl's. I've been to two of those maybe last month? It seems really hit n' miss.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

Baldbeard posted:

Yeah, I felt completely blindsided by the ending. The penultimate boss was the only thing that even gave me trouble, and I still one-shot it without anyone dying. I imagine the game is a lot harder without using Magazine stuff (especially the Warlock), but it was still ridiculously short. I do think it was worth the $5, though, especially if they add more on.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
A bunch of sites are reporting that the sequel to 10000000, You Must Build a Boat, will be out June 4 so mark your Google Calendars.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

mrkillboy posted:

A bunch of sites are reporting that the sequel to 10000000, You Must Build a Boat, will be out June 4 so mark your Google Calendars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKq8SnwsN9A

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Sega have removed After Burner Climax, Jet Set Radio, and Super Monkey Ball 2 from the store so unless you already have them downloaded, tough. They 'may' return but you can bet it will be a new version so lucky you gets to buy them all a second time.

Between this and never updating their games (they haven't updated any to my knowledge to work with lollipop) I honestly can't recommend any one buy any Sega games on android.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

1337kutkufan6969 posted:

Finally! A Humble Bundle I can loving resist!

Speaking of Humble Bundle games, it's not in a bundle anymore but Blek is really loving cool. It's a puzzle game where you draw a squiggle that will continue to repeat around the screen. You have to avoid black spots and touch the colored dots. That's a lovely description... Here was a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GatTHt8SUiA

Holy shitballs I'm loving this. I love original concepts that also play very well. Game of the year. (Ok not really but still, awesome.)

I definitely will be showing this game to everybody with a vague interest in (mobile) games. And some others.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe

uXs posted:

Holy shitballs I'm loving this. I love original concepts that also play very well. Game of the year. (Ok not really but still, awesome.)

I definitely will be showing this game to everybody with a vague interest in (mobile) games. And some others.

I was doing well until I got to about level 42, and now I'm really stuck.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
:siren: Galaxy Trucker is on sale in the US for $2.99.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

FadedReality posted:

Anyone got a gameplay video of this? I really enjoyed the board game version of Galaxy Trucker and $3 is pretty cheap.

Sekret
Dec 6, 2001
Curse you, Massive Genitals!

Len posted:

Anyone got a gameplay video of this? I really enjoyed the board game version of Galaxy Trucker and $3 is pretty cheap.

I don't have a video, but it's totally worth 3bux.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sekret posted:

I don't have a video, but it's totally worth 3bux.

I agree with this. It's fantastic.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
Woo! Was going to buy that anyway. Good timing. Time to find the thread for it. Anyone happen to have it on hand by chance?

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

FadedReality posted:

What games would you compare it to?

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Ariza posted:

I'm just now buying it myself based on positive opinions in the thread but am curious about this as well.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

Ariza posted:

I'm kind of at a loss on what it compares to. It's pretty unique. Each player pulls tiles to build a space ship out of various parts, then you all go through a series of random encounters to see who's spaceship holds up the best.

I've only played through the campaign myself, and it's very polished and well made. I assume the multiplayer also plays great.

Mr. Owl
Jan 24, 2008

Ariza posted:

Carcassonne meets Space Team.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Owl posted:

Carcassonne meets Space Team.

Wow... This is just about right.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

FadedReality posted:

Cool I was waiting for this. Thanks for the info

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It would probably be impossible to make it work right but Space Alert would be amazing to have on a mobile.

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

I've been playing this game called Vega Conflict lately, which is something like clash of clans, but it shows you enemy bases on a large map and lets you choose who you attack. Are there any other games like this that aren't awful?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Crash_N_Burn posted:

I've been playing this game called Vega Conflict lately, which is something like clash of clans, but it shows you enemy bases on a large map and lets you choose who you attack. Are there any other games like this that aren't awful?

Kate Upton keeps telling me to play Game of War. Maybe that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Len posted:

Kate Upton keeps telling me to play Game of War. Maybe that?

As hilarious as Game of War jokes are, the game is nothing like that, more of an Evony clone (in more ways than one).

Crash_N_Burn posted:

Does it have to be spaceships and poo poo? If not Boom Beach and Plunder Pirates both fit the bill of CoC-clone.