Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

You can climb up on the south side if you approach from the west.

Don't feel bad, this took me like 10 minutes to figure out too.

I was real pissed at those rear end in a top hat bandits - they all got an extra dose of Igni when I finally made it up there.

To the guy above - you gotta blow up monster nests with bombs. Also, don't forget to loot them afterward!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Gwent: how do you stop passing? I've tried it a couple times and my opponent just keeps drawing cards until he can win. I only wanted to pass one turn, dammit.

KNICK
Sep 11, 2011
Is anyone else getting this? I've been looking around on GOG and Steam and while there are people with similar issues, nobody seems to experience this exact glitch. It happens on low and ultra, and with every post-processing feature enabled/disabled.

I'm on an i5 2500k and R9 280X, most recent Catalyst (15.4 Beta) installed. It happens randomly while walking around, then it'll fix itself for 10 seconds and then it'll start all over again. I've already tried in Fullscreen, Borderless Windowed and Windowed, same thing everywhere.

Excuse the weird resolution, but the game wouldn't let me take a screenshot, so I had to go to windowed and then open the game as a background window, otherwise print screen is disabled.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Playing on the hardest difficulty and things seem to have clicked. I'm absolutely dreadful with money (see my earlier post about not accepting rewards from peasants...) so I need to ration food and potions like a motherfucker, but even killing a small group of ghouls feels like an accomplishment. Fully expect to throw my controller through a window at some point, mind.

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
Well, at least I'm not the only one that can't get my surround setup to work: https://www.gog.com/forum/the_witcher_3_wild_hunt/only_stereo_and_very_low_volume/page1

It sucks because once you get used to the atmosphere of surround sound you don't want to go back. Hopefully they fix this soon.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

Are you sure you're talking to the right kind of blacksmith? Only some craft weapons and others craft armors.

I'm just trying to view it in the crafting menu outside of blacksmiths. I can see the sword but the armor isn't there.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

NeurosisHead posted:

I have played a bunch of gwent and never won a single god damned game. help :negative:

I enjoyed playing the guy in Vizima castle with his ridiculous nilfgaarde deck of 10 power assholes versus my bunch of garbage temerian 1 power fucktards. Just gotta find and buy less terrible cards than the starter ones I think.

chaosapiant posted:

One thing i'm not seeing mention of is the art style in this game. I always thought W2 had a much more "fantasy" look than W1. Not for better or worse, just different. This game is how I imagine W1 would look like with modern graphics. White Orchard reminds me a lot of Vizima Outskirts. I love it! I like that this game ties back into W1 in that way, making all three games, though different, still have some visual consistency. Also...that loving soundtrack.

Yeah I think you can quibble with little things about the graphics but in motion the effect is pretty incredible. I've been particularly impressed with the wind effects, pretty handily the best I've ever seen.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

PirateBob posted:

Gwent: how do you stop passing? I've tried it a couple times and my opponent just keeps drawing cards until he can win. I only wanted to pass one turn, dammit.

If i'm not mistaken, only pass when you are "done" laying out your cards. Your opponent will then do what he does until he's ready to pass, score is counted, and next round begins. You can see how many cards he has left under his name, so you can safely pass when you feel you'll have enough cards left over to win the remaining rounds. At least this is how I think it's supposed to work. I beat that guy in the inn by conserving some cards.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Christ, how do you keep track of all these herbs and reagents? I haven't been this buried in crafting items in a while.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

I'm happy so far with only keeping weather clear cards and baiting them.

My original plan was to focus heavily on removal, have a bunch of "lords" that pump up my guys while dropping power to 1 spells on every lane. Then the opponent used clear weather and completely hosed up that plan.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
As a tip for talents, get the one that gives you more vitality asap, the griffon's mutagen is green and boosts it even more, now I'm able to take a lot of hits before being in 'oh poo poo shove a turkey down my throat' realms.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
I won the tutorial Gwent fairly easily, but difficulty of any afterwards seriously looks like "just holding back for you, prepare to lose after this one, repeatedly".

On a sidenote, has anyone worked out effective "safe" level range for various stuff? Jenny is kicking Geralt's witchery rear end with few hits, and only visibly better silver sword so far is level 12.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Speedball posted:

Christ, how do you keep track of all these herbs and reagents? I haven't been this buried in crafting items in a while.

Don't. What I've been doing is only remembering a couple of "essential" herbs I need (bombs that can destroy monster nests, potions I'll be using in combat) and going from there, only looking for specific bits and pieces if I'm wanting to craft armour or need special potions for bigger fights.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
Random question,

is it possible to stream the game from my Main PC to my media PC in the other room using the GOG version? Like, can I load it into Steam somehow and use the streaming service?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Don't. What I've been doing is only remembering a couple of "essential" herbs I need (bombs that can destroy monster nests, potions I'll be using in combat) and going from there, only looking for specific bits and pieces if I'm wanting to craft armour or need special potions for bigger fights.

You do know that potions replenish when you meditate right (provided you have alcohol in your inventory)?. You don't actually need to make a single potion/oil/bomb more than once so memorizing the ingredients they use is useless.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Andrast posted:

You do know that potions replenish when you meditate right (provided you have alcohol in your inventory)?. You don't actually need to make a single potion/oil/bomb more than once.

...that works for bombs and oils too? :stare:

gently caress. Disregard me then.

a messed up horse
Mar 11, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Arglebargle III posted:

I'm not surprised other people don't care about damage numbers (and I'm not saying you should) but it's pretty rich to have people posting about how to choose the best lighting option, whether to have tiny differences in hair, shadow, foliage quality etc. and then turn around and say "I don't understand how this could bother you" when there are little floating numbers on the screen. If there were little floating numbers in shadows or textures people would be flipping their poo poo.

Even if I can't play the game without getting queasy I'm enjoying your crusade against numbers. Keep it up!

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

I think oils are just reusable items, too, right? At leas my specter oil wasn't consumed on use when I used it to beat that graveyard specter to death.

Also, suck it graveyard specter!

Edit: vvvv Yep. I like it - it makes me way more likely to actually use potions and bombs because it's not a loving slog to restock afterward.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Is alcohol the only thing you need to re-acquire for potion meditation replenishment? So, basically, I'm just "unlocking" a potion when I craft one?

Odd.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Quicksaves did overwrite each other in witcher 2 (autosaves didn't, they do now). It actually really sucks and lets you trap yourself if you don't manually save. A circular buffer of ~50 quicksaves is like the best way to do it.

Zeratanis
Jun 16, 2009

That's kind of a weird thought isn't it?
After playing a bunch last night, I only have one real complaint so far. I wish repairing wasn't so loving expensive, especially with how little money you have early on.

Also, not a real complaint but more of an "oops that's new and I'm an idiot". I discovered real early on that indeed guards don't like you looting poo poo in front of them (didn't see one nearby) and they aggroed me, chased me down, and "killed me", respawning a second later and leaving me with very little gold. I hadn't made a save up until that point. :negative:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Zeratanis posted:

Also, not a real complaint but more of an "oops that's new and I'm an idiot". I discovered real early on that indeed guards don't like you looting poo poo in front of them (didn't see one nearby) and they aggroed me, chased me down, and "killed me", respawning a second later and leaving me with very little gold. I hadn't made a save up until that point. :negative:

Yeah, it's incredibly easy to miss that tutorial as you're so used to just slapping X to loot everything the second it opens you'll skip over the message. Could have done being made a bit clearer especially given civilians don't react to you nicking stuff.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
For anyone that wants to make a little extra: It should be obvious, but always bet the max amount on something you're doing. If you lose you can always just reload.

bloodsacrifice
Apr 21, 2015

by Ralp

Speedball posted:

Is alcohol the only thing you need to re-acquire for potion meditation replenishment? So, basically, I'm just "unlocking" a potion when I craft one?

Odd.

especially considering how much plants and herbs are spammed on the map

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Okay, how long should I have to wait for the game to start? Just seen the first intro cinematic and, despite the "advice" sections changing the loading bar hasn't increased at all.

Any advice? Playing PS4.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Speedball posted:

Odd.

Someone mentioned earlier that you use those potions to craft higher tiers of the same potion, so the ten trillion flowers you've stuffed into your back pocket aren't completely worthless

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Is there any way to fight underwater? I got an offshore treasure here, but there's a few Drowners circling it and making my life difficult.

Edit: also a dumb thing: If you only aggro some ranged dudes and stay at a distance, the game won't register you as "in combat" so right mouse button activates spiderWitcher sense instead, so you can't reflect arrows.

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 19, 2015

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Did I miss something? I'm like 5 hours into the game and stuck at level 1. I got the well quest, I got the griffon question but they're all higher level than me. I tried to do the Well but I was hardly putting a dent into the Noonwraith and then she just healed through it anyways. I'm literally just running around hoping to find quests that don't seem to exist. How the gently caress do I get level 2?

I hope they tune down the walk speed on PS4. You can literally blow on the controller and Geralt will sprint for half a mile.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

every open game where you can ride on a horse should have horse gps

bloodsacrifice
Apr 21, 2015

by Ralp

YANSEE posted:

Did I miss something? I'm like 5 hours into the game and stuck at level 1. I got the well quest, I got the griffon question but they're all higher level than me. I tried to do the Well but I was hardly putting a dent into the Noonwraith and then she just healed through it anyways. I'm literally just running around hoping to find quests that don't seem to exist. How the gently caress do I get level 2?

I hope they tune down the walk speed on PS4. You can literally blow on the controller and Geralt will sprint for half a mile.

RE4 controlled more tightly its frustrating

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

I know there's a bunch of settings tweaks you can do for performance, but does anyone know if there's a way to increase the FoV or just pull the camera back a bit?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

For anyone that wants to make a little extra: It should be obvious, but always bet the max amount on something you're doing. If you lose you can always just reload.

That's like video game gambling 101

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Broken Cog posted:

Is there any way to fight underwater? I got an offshore treasure here, but there's a few Drowners circling it and making my life difficult.

If it's the one I'm thinking of I had a level 10(!) drowner camping it and I just gave up until later. Short of arduously kiting it onto shore I don't think there's much you can do.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Geralt is the reincarnation of that horse from Shadow of the Colossus.

PirateBob posted:

You don't get to pass only one turn. You must be confident in your strategy before you elect to pass. :smug:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

No Mods No Masters posted:

I enjoyed playing the guy in Vizima castle with his ridiculous nilfgaarde deck of 10 power assholes versus my bunch of garbage temerian 1 power fucktards. Just gotta find and buy less terrible cards than the starter ones I think.

Yeah I think you can quibble with little things about the graphics but in motion the effect is pretty incredible. I've been particularly impressed with the wind effects, pretty handily the best I've ever seen.

I totally beat that dude by using weather on his cards and using power-boosting cards myself. Go starting deck!

No Mods No Masters posted:

If it's the one I'm thinking of I had a level 10(!) drowner camping it and I just gave up until later. Short of arduously kiting it onto shore I don't think there's much you can do.

This is really stupid but as a 4th level autist I had to get the treasure. It took a bunch of tries to get away safely for a reward of...a pair of pants. I couldn't fight them or get them on shore at all, just had to swim past them and back.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Death March is so good. Makes me actually feel like a pro as gently caress witcher after every fight.

Solartide
Oct 3, 2013

by XyloJW

VanillaGorilla posted:

At leas my specter oil wasn't consumed on use when I used it to beat that graveyard specter to death.

Where did you get the recipe for specter oil? The quest guide told me to apply it to my weapon, but I coulda sworn I didn't have the recipe for it.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

1stGear posted:

Death March is so good. Makes me actually feel like a pro as gently caress witcher after every fight.

I feel like I might play on the higher difficulties this game around. The combat is a total improvement once you get used to it.

Solartide posted:

Where did you get the recipe for specter oil? The quest guide told me to apply it to my weapon, but I coulda sworn I didn't have the recipe for it.

You should have it by default, check the alchemy tab.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

YANSEE posted:

If you're playing on the hardest two settings they actually lower your exp gain to make things tougher. You can generally outfight things higher than you though. For the noonwraith, make sure to read the bestiary. You need to get inside your Yrden circle to damage it. When it splits, kill the three images fast and it'll stop regenning.

Also, the crossbow lets you fight underwater, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0del
Jan 9, 2001

Fun Shoe

Mike the TV posted:

I just started and I have the graphics set as high as I can (for a 270) and the grass and leaves are super low-quality. I have texture and grass density set to the highest level and it still looks like I'm wandering around a watercolor painting. Is there a setting that I'm missing?
Even on ultra the foliage has a bit of a watercolor affect going on, I'm pretty sure it's an artistic choice by the devs (and also responsible for a good chunk of the downgrade talk).