Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

LabiaBadgerTickler posted:

So the new Skitarri army. They any good to play with?

I'm thinking of getting back in and the new models are catching my eye. Plus, i've always liked the dark mechanicus. So conversions ahoy!

One thing though is I chucked all my paints out. Besides GW paints, are they any good alternatives out there that are reasonably cheap to get a hold of?

P3, Vallejo Game Color/Air.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011

KuangMkV posted:

Hi friends, I am considering making the extremely poor life choice of collecting a Forge World Horus Heresy Alpha Legion army. I was wondering if anyone could point give me a little info on a good way to get started besides putting a gun in my mouth. I should note that both myself and the people I may be playing with do not give a single poo poo about competitive builds or optimization and are just interested in building fun and vaguely setting-accurate armies. Thank you for your support in this difficult time.

Good news! Of all the legions, I'd say the Alpha Legion has the easiest time explaining away pieces of mk7 kit, so basing your duders off the plastic 40k kit is a totally viable option. It's probably how I'll go about expanding my army past the secondhand/commie stuff I've assembled. The key to making your duders feel Alpha Legion is sticking to mk6 heads (like the ones that come in the basic Tac Squad and the Ravenwing Knights) and shoulders (only in the Tac Squad), both of which can be purchased in bulk from ebay bits sellers. They're in high demand, so it may take a couple rounds to get enough parts to outfit all your dudes, but it's worth it. While other posters have advocated picking up the FW AL shoulder pads, I've seen many AL modelers complain about them, so you may want to reconsider. It's a pretty easy symbol to freehand, just a couple of squiggles and triangles and the gist is there.

As far as rules go, here is that AL character Reynold mentioned, and while he is pretty expensive for low-points games, the Delegatus Consul (that will make sense later) isn't and is explicitly designed for low-points games. A Delegatus and 20 dudes is the minimum you need to get started! From there honestly anything is good, especially with AL. They do classic Legion tactics (shitloads of dudes supported by armor) just as well as anybody else, and can steal any other Legion's unique dudes, so the world is your oyster. While 1d4chan is generally a cesspool, there is a very detailed rundown of all the 30k units/Legions on there.

Also, we get power knives. How bitchin is that?

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

BirdieBedtime posted:

Good news! Of all the legions, I'd say the Alpha Legion has the easiest time explaining away pieces of mk7 kit,

explain?

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.

I think he means MK 6, of which they stole early prototype models from the Raven Guard, and developed into an self-made variant.
:goonsay:

Bad Decision Dino fucked around with this message at 13:11 on May 19, 2015

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
Pretty much that. I figure it's not a hard leap to explain away a few round knee-pads for the sake of modeling/wallet convenience (either as prototype mk7 from their Mechanicus contacts or just an off-pattern mark) as long as the heads and shoulders are mk4/6.

"Brother Alpharius, where did you get those nice knee-pads? I don't recognize them."
"Don't worry about it, Brother Ultramarine. Also ignore these banestrike bolter rounds. And xenotech sniper rifles. And possessed daemon-marines with repainted armor. On second thought, let's focus on my knees."

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!
I'm working on some writing samples for Black Library. Would any hams be ok with giving them a check over to make sure they don't suck?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
I'd gladly savage your writing.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

One thing though is I chucked all my paints out. Besides GW paints, are they any good alternatives out there that are reasonably cheap to get a hold of?

Cheap? Well, uh-- it may or may not be cheaper than Citadel spray but it's certainly better. I have a can of the black primer and it is the smoothest rattlecan paint I have ever witnessed.

Thundercloud posted:

I'm working on some writing samples for Black Library. Would any hams be ok with giving them a check over to make sure they don't suck?

I'll proofread it for you if it's on Google Docs or the like. Pls don't helldump me.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Big Willy Style posted:

Theres an irreconcilable rift between fans of Kevin Adams orks and Brian Nelson orks that can only be resolved in the thunderdome

Now, now - there's room for both. Weze all green 'ere.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

BirdieBedtime posted:

Pretty much that. I figure it's not a hard leap to explain away a few round knee-pads for the sake of modeling/wallet convenience (either as prototype mk7 from their Mechanicus contacts or just an off-pattern mark) as long as the heads and shoulders are mk4/6.

"Brother Alpharius, where did you get those nice knee-pads? I don't recognize them."
"Don't worry about it, Brother Ultramarine. Also ignore these banestrike bolter rounds. And xenotech sniper rifles. And possessed daemon-marines with repainted armor. On second thought, let's focus on my knees."

I have some round-knee legs from the Space Wolf sprues mixed in with my fledgling MkIII Sons of Horus dudes. They aren't perfect, but they blend in. I'll post some pictures when I get further along.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
I have millions of marine arms. Does anyone have good site for cheap alternate power armor guys? Cost is a concern, but I will take a look. Third party stuff is fine I like the idea of my 30k guys looking unique. Preferably but not standard mk6 power armor which I have literally a bucket of.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
Speaking of Gorkamorka, were there ever rules for straight up vehicular combat/racing? I vaguely remember something at a Games Day many years ago with a buggy race. I think something like this would be a great way to get some of the other guys in the group interested without having to lay out a lot of money (not that it would be expensive, but one vehicle is cheaper than a mob.) I'm thinking something like Car Wars...

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum

Doctor Borris posted:

I have millions of marine arms. Does anyone have good site for cheap alternate power armor guys? Cost is a concern, but I will take a look. Third party stuff is fine I like the idea of my 30k guys looking unique. Preferably but not standard mk6 power armor which I have literally a bucket of.

I'd try Mantic and PuppetsWar.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Doctor Borris posted:

http://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/Exo-Lords

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Thundercloud posted:

Is there be a volleyball scene?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Doctor Borris posted:

In addition to what folks have said already, Spellcrow.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

JerryLee posted:

In addition to what folks have said already, Spellcrow.

Spellcrow's awesome but it sure as poo poo ain't cheap. You're generally gonna have a hard time finding cheaper bodies than the stock plastic Space Marine ones.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Doctor Borris posted:

Make a whole army of Fisty Glue Men!

(It's a Mantic running joke character. Bottle of glue with arms and googly eyes)

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

So the new Skitarri army. They any good to play with?

I'm thinking of getting back in and the new models are catching my eye. Plus, i've always liked the dark mechanicus. So conversions ahoy!

Skitarii are pretty good, but can be very expensive if you start buying the walkers. Doctrina Imperitives are amazing and they have a plethora of nice wargear to pick from. I did a review on Frontline that covers most of the stuff pretty well, though it's a little more aimed towards folks who are familiar with 7th Edition. The long and short of it, though, is that their troops are good, the jousting walker is good, the two shooty walkers are alright-to-good, and the melee dudes are fairly crappy.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.
Mantic doesn't do Spehs Mareens but their enforcers are awesome and go perfect for any techy human like Imperial Guard or Inquisitor.

I am looking for cheap bodies specifically different from normal marines and have 462 arm sets I can use with them. Looking for some non mk6, couldn't find anything cheapish on FW though a couple just bodies sets look ok price wise,
thanks for any links!

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I wasn't saying buy mantic minis; then you'd have even more arms. I was just referencing a Mantic community thing.

Also, Enforcers are basically the Marine equivalent in the DZ/WP universe. They are in fact a bit bigger than the normal humans! Just not heroic scale monsters.

Doctor Borris
May 29, 2014

Sometimes Serious.
Sometimes Satirical.
Never Ever Sarcastic.
Ever.

AbusePuppy posted:

Skitarii are pretty good, but can be very expensive if you start buying the walkers. Doctrina Imperitives are amazing and they have a plethora of nice wargear to pick from. I did a review on Frontline that covers most of the stuff pretty well, though it's a little more aimed towards folks who are familiar with 7th Edition. The long and short of it, though, is that their troops are good, the jousting walker is good, the two shooty walkers are alright-to-good, and the melee dudes are fairly crappy.

I found your reviews while listening to the front line podcast. I have read just about all of them, I like your honest style.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Rules just leaked on the combined AdMech.

One each of the Skitarii Maniple and Cult Mechanicus base formations, plus one knight formation.

Translated on NATFKA from the french pics: All units gain canticles even if not cult, If the tech priest is you warlord you can reroll the warlord traits table in codex cult mechanicus, and it appear to say relics of mars and arcane mechanicum are free. Anyone with gets hot loses it.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
All I see when I read that is "Je m'appelle Ragnar Blackmane, et je suis de Fenris!"

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

SRM posted:

Spellcrow's awesome but it sure as poo poo ain't cheap. You're generally gonna have a hard time finding cheaper bodies than the stock plastic Space Marine ones.

Ahh, fair point, I missed that adjective. I saw someone say puppetswar which also isn't really cheap, so I just fell into that general third-party mindset. :v:

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

TKIY posted:

Rules just leaked on the combined AdMech.

One each of the Skitarii Maniple and Cult Mechanicus base formations, plus one knight formation.

Translated on NATFKA from the french pics: All units gain canticles even if not cult, If the tech priest is you warlord you can reroll the warlord traits table in codex cult mechanicus, and it appear to say relics of mars and arcane mechanicum are free. Anyone with gets hot loses it.

People are claiming it reads all models can upgrade for free (including the relics) so pay for bodies, stay for free plasma.
I'm hoping that's people just being bad because that seems too good considering how expensive some of those upgrades are.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Hencoe posted:

People are claiming it reads all models can upgrade for free (including the relics) so pay for bodies, stay for free plasma.
I'm hoping that's people just being bad because that seems too good considering how expensive some of those upgrades are.

A few people have confirmed that's how it reads. Free Plasmas, free Relics, free Arc Rifles, free Cognis Manipulators on your Onagers!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Big Willy Style posted:

Theres an irreconcilable rift between fans of Kevin Adams orks and Brian Nelson orks that can only be resolved in the thunderdome

Two ork enter..... 100000 goddamn grots are running all over the place a month later.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?
Masta Blasta conversion with a grot on warboss shoulders

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I want to play Gorka Morka now.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
Having seen the new Warhammer World stuff all weekend I was wondering if anyone would be up for a trip there on an August weekday? We could book table/s bunk off work/school/prison/the asylym and play/drink/laugh/argue/discuss the overuse of the forward slash.

Depending on interest and preferences we could do a big game, smaller games, team games or whatever is popular (depending on what table availability is like although I checked recently and they were only taking up until July presently) and depending how imaginative we are feeling we can come up with our own scenarios or rules. Or just play straight missionary 40k with no talking or smiling.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
ALPHA LEGION CHAT

So...I was talking on Facebook to the guy who wrote the original Alpha Legion painting recipe for Forge World (he used to work there and did painting demonstrations at the shows). Someone had found the recipe on a forum posted it, and this guy replied with corrections to the original recipe. I got more information from him and with his help this is what I've narrowed it down to:
Alpha Legion
1. Airbrush with thinned Tamiya Gunmetal (thin all Tamiya colours with Tamiya X-20A Thinner)
2. Airbrush from top of model with thinned Tamiya Flat Aluminum
3. Mix Tamiya Clear Green with Tamiya Clear Blue in 10/90 mix and airbrush over the model in 2 light, thin coats
4. Airbrush armour panels with Tamiya Clear Blue. Blend from middle of figure down, so the strongest blue colour is at the bottom of the armour panels
5. Airbrush from the middle upwards with Tamiya Clear Green, so strongest green colour is at the top of the armour panels
6. Using an airbrush, blend a highlight on the highest panels (head, shoulder pads, top of backpack) with Tamiya Flat Aluminum with a tiny amount of very thinned down Tamiya Sky Blue
7. Apply thinned coat of Tamiya Clear Blue over the highlight and blend into the surrounding area
8. Silver: basecoat with Citadel Leadbelcher, highlight with Vallejo Model Air Steel and wash with Citadel Nuln Oil
9. Chipping: hit edges with Citadel Leadbelcher in striking motions and highlight with Citadel Ironbreaker

Originally he'd said to use Citadel Leadbelcher and Ironbreaker in a 50/50 mix for step 1, but now he says to do all the airbrushing with Tamiya paints and all the brushwork with the Citadel and Vallejo paints. I'm pretty sure he hasn't tried the new FW airbrush paints (they have clear paints now) but I'm going to get the Tamiya paints I don't already have and compare how the Badger Minitaire Ghost Tints compare - I *really* like the Ghost Tint Blue and Plasma Fluid, which is a vibrant blue-green.

I'm about to get HH book 3 off a lucky find on the Facebook selling groups, so I'll be able to finally check out what guns and stuff they can use, and I've started to collect Mk6 heads (the beaky guys, right?) so I can start putting together a mostly plastic set of troops. Those Exo trooper legs from Anvil Industries look really good too, might have to give those a shot.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Forge World painters love tamiya clear paints so much i wouldn't be surprised that they've just put them in different pots.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

JackMack posted:

Having seen the new Warhammer World stuff all weekend I was wondering if anyone would be up for a trip there on an August weekday? We could book table/s bunk off work/school/prison/the asylym and play/drink/laugh/argue/discuss the overuse of the forward slash.

Depending on interest and preferences we could do a big game, smaller games, team games or whatever is popular (depending on what table availability is like although I checked recently and they were only taking up until July presently) and depending how imaginative we are feeling we can come up with our own scenarios or rules. Or just play straight missionary 40k with no talking or smiling.

I'd be tentatively down for July.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer

Big Willy Style posted:

Masta Blasta conversion with a grot on warboss shoulders

fuuuuuuuuuck

serious gaylord posted:

I want to play Gorka Morka now.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
If Gorkamorka had a good living ruleset I'd be playing it right now. I might have missed one if it exists.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

JackMack posted:

I am likely traveling to Belfast in Sept and then I will extend it a couple of days to head over to Nottingham. So Sept might work for me. I will also be back there in April 2016 after Salute.

KuangMkV
Jan 25, 2003

BirdieBedtime posted:

Good news! Of all the legions, I'd say the Alpha Legion has the easiest time explaining away pieces of mk7 kit, so basing your duders off the plastic 40k kit is a totally viable option. It's probably how I'll go about expanding my army past the secondhand/commie stuff I've assembled. The key to making your duders feel Alpha Legion is sticking to mk6 heads (like the ones that come in the basic Tac Squad and the Ravenwing Knights) and shoulders (only in the Tac Squad), both of which can be purchased in bulk from ebay bits sellers. They're in high demand, so it may take a couple rounds to get enough parts to outfit all your dudes, but it's worth it. While other posters have advocated picking up the FW AL shoulder pads, I've seen many AL modelers complain about them, so you may want to reconsider. It's a pretty easy symbol to freehand, just a couple of squiggles and triangles and the gist is there.

As far as rules go, here is that AL character Reynold mentioned, and while he is pretty expensive for low-points games, the Delegatus Consul (that will make sense later) isn't and is explicitly designed for low-points games. A Delegatus and 20 dudes is the minimum you need to get started! From there honestly anything is good, especially with AL. They do classic Legion tactics (shitloads of dudes supported by armor) just as well as anybody else, and can steal any other Legion's unique dudes, so the world is your oyster. While 1d4chan is generally a cesspool, there is a very detailed rundown of all the 30k units/Legions on there.

Also, we get power knives. How bitchin is that?

Awesome! Thanks so much for this (and to everyone else who answered my original question, I forgot there was a 30k primer at the beginning of this thread).

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

krushgroove posted:

Hmm yeah there is turning at speed as well. How did GorkaMorka handle letting the chasing vehicles catch the vehicles in front? Wheeled & tracked vehicles can all move at the same speed unless they're going around/over terrain.

You could try using the Mario Kart rules? (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rubberbanding&defid=3177783 for non patent-legalese version)

Alternatively, when the next section of new table is 'generated' ahead of the leader, the loser gets to place any terrain obstacles that fall off the back of the old deleted table section. Ideally he'll place them in line with the leader, forcing him to slow/turn. Bonus points if any vehicles that 'die' due to going off the back can be replaced in the new section as wrecks. So as the game goes on, you'd end up accumulating more and more wreckage that you have to steer around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

We should combine the potential goonmeet with the racing game and play the Goony Races at WHW.

• Locked thread