Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

PsychicToaster posted:

My price range is around 50k. I do like the Hyundai Genesis as well. I worked at Mercedes-Benz for the last year and god drat it's pretty E350ish.

I'm not looking for too much power to be honest. I live in an area where there's little crime and the cops have not a drat thing better to do than look for anyone going so much as 5MPH over the speed limit.

Yeah, if you're spending around 50k but don't want excessive power, a Genesis is probably your best choice. That or a Chrysler 300C Platinum. I would still recommend checking out a Charger Scat Pack or SRT and Chevrolet SS, since 4 door muscle cars are awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

TKIY posted:

He had a dealer issue more than a brand one. I'm using the same dealer so I can vouch for their scumminess.

Well, hopefully that kind of attitude is localized to that one dealer. It just seemed like they weren't used to selling real cars for real money; hopefully most other dealers are willing to take their head out of their asses. Wasn't he having a real hard time with trying to get corporate to take back the car?

Sole Survivor posted:

Yeah, if you're spending around 50k but don't want excessive power, a Genesis is probably your best choice. That or a Chrysler 300C Platinum. I would still recommend checking out a Charger Scat Pack or SRT and Chevrolet SS, since 4 door muscle cars are awesome.

Fullsized cars can't be muscle cars, by definition. Doesn't matter how much power they make.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I'm guessing both the SRT8 and this are out of his price range, but I figured I'd throw it in anyway.

Saw one on the road for the first time the other day and they look really good in person. Seemed way less boring than in pictures.

In other news, I really have a :dong: for the Nomad.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TKIY posted:

This. Drive one, it straight up murders the impala and 300 for luxury and drive quality.

Mine gets here next week :)

Jealous.

TKIY posted:

He had a dealer issue more than a brand one. I'm using the same dealer so I can vouch for their scumminess.

Not jealous any more. Okay, maybe a little.

PsychicToaster posted:

My price range is around 50k. I do like the Hyundai Genesis as well. I worked at Mercedes-Benz for the last year and god drat it's pretty E350ish.

I'm not looking for too much power to be honest. I live in an area where there's little crime and the cops have not a drat thing better to do than look for anyone going so much as 5MPH over the speed limit.

The V6 Genesis Ultimate is the correct answer.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 03:46 on May 20, 2015

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Raluek posted:

Well, hopefully that kind of attitude is localized to that one dealer. It just seemed like they weren't used to selling real cars for real money; hopefully most other dealers are willing to take their head out of their asses. Wasn't he having a real hard time with trying to get corporate to take back the car?

Not sure, I had pm'd him when I was dealing with their shenanigans but they honestly bought me off for my trouble. This is my second vehicle from that dealership and my first one had been free of any trouble and service hassles.

The one small service issue I had was quickly rectified by the service writer I was dealing with and he did a bunch of minor services for free for their mistake.

I don't think they are a great dealership but overall I don't think they are worse than most.

Just this week a story came out about one of our Honda dealerships. They sold a car, as new, and when the owner went to sell the car later it was revealed that the car had been crashed before they bought it. The dealership insisted the buyers were informed that it was a demo, but the buyers produced the paperwork and it was sold as new.

Bottom line I don't think there is a single dealership out there that is impeccably honest. Put a group of people on commission and eventually one or more will bend the rules.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Sole Survivor posted:

Yeah, if you're spending around 50k but don't want excessive power

get the gently caress out

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Sole Survivor posted:

50 grand and not excessive power? Buy a mint 67 Olds Cutlass drop top.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

TKIY posted:

Bottom line I don't think there is a single dealership out there that is impeccably honest. Put a group of people on commission and eventually one or more will bend the rules.

Pretty much perfect statement. Go in expecting to deal with liars and the criminally inept and you probably won't be disappointed, and if you get someone good you'll be that much happier. But I still really wish Tesla's business model was more widespread, haven't heard much negative about it.

I'm soured on Hyundai ownership, but I still believe they can make great cars and the nature of dealer networks means it's not consistent for their customer service. The long annoying debacle with mine is documented in my Baja thread if anyone wants to read about life with a lemon and a not so cooperative dealer between the months of me not working on my Baja.

On another note I can't wait to see the new turbo Civic Type R when it's out, is this Honda's first turbo production car? (Other than the rdx) I wonder how it'll take to tuning?

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

Bajaha posted:

On another note I can't wait to see the new turbo Civic Type R when it's out, is this Honda's first turbo production car? (Other than the rdx) I wonder how it'll take to tuning?

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
That's a mighty big picture of a mighty small car

Also:

(yes I think that is as much of a nightmare as it looks)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

PsychicToaster posted:

The Chevrolet SS will probably pull a G8GXP and have rather stout resale values, going forwards, since production is so low.

Probably.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

dissss posted:

That's a mighty big picture of a mighty small car

Also:

(yes I think that is as much of a nightmare as it looks)

We should give one to 13 inch dick detective.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Raluek posted:

Fullsized cars can't be muscle cars, by definition. Doesn't matter how much power they make.

? Full sized cars were the first muscle cars. I'm confused.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people

fknlo posted:

Some more pictures:

If you put your finger over the roof and the grill, if have a hard time telling you if it was a mustang or a Chevy camarow.
https://youtu.be/_2Z4PHH1Mzo

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

howling_mad posted:

Nah, the first muscle cars were intermediate/mid-size cars with big V8s out of the full-size stuff.

SFH1989
Apr 23, 2007

howling_mad posted:

A proper muscle car was a mid size car with a big engine dropped in it that was normally just for full size cars.

Being pedantic there are no modern muscle cars. The Charger/300/SS are all full size and the Mustang/Challenger/Camaro are all pony cars. We need V8 RWD versions of the Fusion, 200, and Malibu (new Chevelle) for real modern muscle cars.

Not complaining what we have now don't fit the classic definition of muscle. They're all still great and this is a wonderful time for cars.

I need to bug my dad to get his Chevelle on the road for the summer so I can drive it.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

SFH1989 posted:

A proper muscle car was a mid size car with a big engine dropped in it that was normally just for full size cars.

Being pedantic there are no modern muscle cars. The Charger/300/SS are all full size and the Mustang/Challenger/Camaro are all pony cars. We need V8 RWD versions of the Fusion, 200, and Malibu (new Chevelle) for real modern muscle cars.

Not complaining what we have now don't fit the classic definition of muscle. They're all still great and this is a wonderful time for cars.

It'd be an even better time for cars if someone would drop mid-size engines into compact cars. Put all these 300hp 2.0 turbos into Miata/FRS type cars someone. Please.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

V8's in hatchbacks.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/cars/new-car-reviews/0404scc-ati-terminator-ford-focus/
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/112_0408_mismatch_comparison/viewall.html

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

Pony cars actually used to be hatchbacks in the 80s.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

davebo posted:

It'd be an even better time for cars if someone would drop mid-size engines into compact cars. Put all these 300hp 2.0 turbos into Miata/FRS type cars someone. Please.

Agreed. I'll even settle for 250 :-)

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

davebo posted:

drat straight. No more of this "we can't ruin the purity and the balance" pussy garbage.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I want to use one of those Kugel Komponents kits to put a Ecoboost 2.3 in a Ford Focus.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

PT6A posted:

drat straight. No more of this "we can't ruin the purity and the balance" pussy garbage.

Would a 2 liter turbo engine throw the balance that far off in an FRS? I know its a heavier AWD car but I remember that guy that put an LS1 in an RX-8 and actually got better 50-50 balance than stock.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Presto posted:

The real problem to me is that they keep making it more and more bland. That rear almost looks like it might have come off a generic family sedan and the front is gradually getting less interesting too. I'm pretty sure GM won't be satisfied until it looks like a Malibu. :shrug:

This one finally looking less cartoonish is one of the reasons I'm interested in it. So, different strokes?

tijag fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 20, 2015

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I know goodwin racing puts 2.5L MZRs from mazda 3's into miatas with relatively minor modifications to the heads. I think there are even 2.5L supercharged ones. They said the 2.5L NC drives like a car with a supercharger but has a NA character. I wouldn't kick it out of bed for eating crackers.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!

Coredump posted:

I want to use one of those Kugel Komponents kits to put a Ecoboost 2.3 in a Ford Focus.

That new Focus RS is exactly that + AWD

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Farking Bastage posted:

That new Focus RS is exactly that + AWD

Nuh uh, there's some difference between a longitudinal mounted inline 4 and transverse mounted fwd with an output shaft going to the rear. For instance is the new Focus going to be front wheel biased with its power and send power to the rears on slip? That's how a lot of the fwd cars do it when they have awd added on.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Coredump posted:

For instance is the new Focus going to be front wheel biased with its power and send power to the rears on slip?

Can't really boil it down like that as the system is a lot more complex. There really isn't a "default", the car sends torque where it is needed depending on sensor input. It isn't a wheel slip system.

There are twin clutchpacks in the rear (one for each halfshaft) that can divert up to 100% of the rear torque bias to a wheel. Up to 70% of the total torque can be diverted rearward.

For example, this is an example ford gives of what the car is doing mid corner.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

davebo posted:

Would a 2 liter turbo engine throw the balance that far off in an FRS? I know its a heavier AWD car but I remember that guy that put an LS1 in an RX-8 and actually got better 50-50 balance than stock.

Because the LS is a superior engine and should drive all ground or water based gasoline powered vehicles.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Xguard86 posted:

Because the LS is a superior engine and should drive all ground or water based gasoline powered vehicles.

Forever and ever, amen

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Xguard86 posted:

The fact that it will fit in literally anything backs this up.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

fknlo posted:

The fact that it will fit in literally anything backs this up.

I love my LS1

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

GM should stop building their lovely vehicles and switch over to just selling small block V8s to every other manufacturer to put in everything.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Their lawyers are arguing right now that they own the ECU software and you are only licensing it, and therefore have no right to access it.

Breaking their digital locks to modify or diagnose anything related to the software would therefore be illegal under the DMCA. You would have to pay a GM mechanic to diagnose anything not covered by ODBII.

They should just stop everything all together and gently caress off.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Powershift posted:

Their lawyers are arguing right now that they own the ECU software and you are only licensing it, and therefore have no right to access it.

Breaking their digital locks to modify or diagnose anything related to the software would therefore be illegal under the DMCA. You would have to pay a GM mechanic to diagnose anything not covered by ODBII.

User-created open-source ECUs are going to be a thing if this happens. I didn't access it sir I just disabled it. That and like this will stop anyone, remember not so long ago for a little bit it was illegal to mess with your cell phone too and that stopped exactly zero people. It IS ultra-lovely and any manufacture that claims this is a massive bag o' dicks but that won't stop them anyway.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KakerMix posted:

User-created open-source ECUs are going to be a thing if this happens. I didn't access it sir I just disabled it. That and like this will stop anyone, remember not so long ago for a little bit it was illegal to mess with your cell phone too and that stopped exactly zero people. It IS ultra-lovely and any manufacture that claims this is a massive bag o' dicks but that won't stop them anyway.

It didn't stop people from jailbreaking their cellphones because you can do that poo poo at home for free. This is obviously aimed at hurting tuning companies that do this for money. This could end very badly.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

KillHour posted:

It didn't stop people from jailbreaking their cellphones because you can do that poo poo at home for free. This is obviously aimed at hurting tuning companies that do this for money. This could end very badly.

Suppose I should get that APR tune for my R sooner rather than later :ohdear:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

davebo posted:

FRS/BRZ are RWD, not AWD.
99% that's true even of the BRZ (or whichever is subaru. Which is which is pretty irrelevant).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Powershift posted:

Carburetor supremacy