Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Chrono Cross IS a good game. I wasn't even trying to be a poo poo like I am 99% of the time in this thread. I'm just saying, at the end of Chrono Cross, I found myself hating it because to me, it shits on Chrono Trigger for no real reason. I honestly feel like if somebody plays Cross first before Trigger, then they'll at least be more unbiased.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
All I know about the SaGa series is that one, Unlimited SaGa was garbage, and two, years ago I remember reading a review of Minstrel Song where the author talked about previous games in the series. It mentioned that in one of them, there's a weapon called the Glass Sword that is missable, breaks after fifty uses, and is required to beat the final boss. So basically SaGa games sound like some sort of weird experiment to see how much a game can basically say "gently caress you, player," and still have people think they're fun and playable.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Tae posted:

Lying isn't a nice thing.

Counterpoint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m57kb5d3wZ4

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Twelve by Pies posted:

All I know about the SaGa series is that one, Unlimited SaGa was garbage, and two, years ago I remember reading a review of Minstrel Song where the author talked about previous games in the series. It mentioned that in one of them, there's a weapon called the Glass Sword that is missable, breaks after fifty uses, and is required to beat the final boss. So basically SaGa games sound like some sort of weird experiment to see how much a game can basically say "gently caress you, player," and still have people think they're fun and playable.

It's not that bad as long as you have multiple faqs open to know how the game works. The PS2 game is probably the easiest to play, and is almost completeable without knowing what you're doing (Saruin, the final boss, will destroy you).

E: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1k1OsApDSIw

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Chrono Cross is the quite possibly the most beautiful game on the PS1 and it has exactly one song on it's OST that isn't The Best. Play it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Twelve by Pies posted:

It mentioned that in one of them, there's a weapon called the Glass Sword that is missable, breaks after fifty uses, and is required to beat the final boss.

Whoever you heard this from is wrong. In no SaGa game is there a "Glass Sword" required to beat the final boss.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Nihilarian posted:

Chrono Cross is the quite possibly the most beautiful game on the PS1 and it has exactly one song on it's OST that isn't The Best. Play it.

loving S.S. Zelbess.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I decided to try The Final Fantasy Legend, which I'm aware is a SaGa game.

So did they just not bother to actually translate this or something? "Where?" Where what? What the gently caress does that mean. If I didn't have a walkthrough open, I would have never figured out that was the menu for recruiting party members.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

forbidden lesbian posted:

chrono cross is good

That's a lie.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Schwartzcough posted:

loving S.S. Zelbess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckNFq7tih4o

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

fronz posted:

That's a lie.

We may be in the minority here, buddy.

Chrono Cross is poo poo from butts. :colbert:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Worst Girl posted:

So did they just not bother to actually translate this or something? "Where?" Where what? What the gently caress does that mean. If I didn't have a walkthrough open, I would have never figured out that was the menu for recruiting party members.

FFL has an Nes era localization I'm sorry to say

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-O2csR9Zjs

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

eat the meat motherfuckers

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

That...actually sounds pretty good, I gotta say.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Worst Girl posted:

Final Fantasy Legend is borderline incomprehensible and requires a walkthrough (or the Nintendo hint line if you are a deeply confused child in the early 90s). Things only get weirder as you go and I defy you to make sense of anything that happens in or after the fourth world.

If you can get through it though, it's a pretty neat game on the surrealist end of the spectrum. And regardless of whether you finish it or not you should give Final Fantasy Legend II a try. It's a legit good game that improves on the party and equipment systems and couples them with a cool story that actually makes a lick of sense.

I've tried to get into Final Fantasy Legend III a few times and I just can't do it. I have a hard time following all the time travel nonsense in it.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Twelve by Pies posted:

You're talking about SaGa 2 (FFL2), that's the one with a Glass Sword, but that's wrong -- it's just a powerful, secret one-use item like the Ultima Weapon or whatever. You can kill the final boss regardless.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
If you weren't constantly feeding meat to your monsters in FF Legend and wondering what the hell that was about, you were doing something wrong.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Worst Girl posted:

The only things with worse translations than NES RPG's are Gameboy RPG's.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Zombie Samurai posted:

I've tried to get into Final Fantasy Legend III a few times and I just can't do it. I have a hard time following all the time travel nonsense in it.

FFL3 was my favorite Game Boy RPG as a kid. It's totally bonkers like the other FFL/SaGa games, but it actually works more like Final Fantasy than SaGa (it has levels and infinite-use weaponry and MP) albeit with the wacky robot and monster party member systems from the other FFLs.

In fact, I kinda wanna go play it now.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Sordas Volantyr posted:

That...actually sounds pretty good, I gotta say.

I am usually very tired of it by the time it stops playing.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Here's a new community video for Final Feedback 15: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B281PUPf5nw

Take a shot whenever Tabata nods.

I believe that building is the new office for Square Enix Europe.

RC Cola posted:

I just beat bravely default and xenoblade and was looking to pick up a new game. How is chrono trigger?

It's a well-paced JRPG with a lot of replay value. The main story isn't very long but there are a lot of story branches and side quests. I found it to be similar to Mass Effect and The Last Story in terms of being enjoyable to replay.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
I like Tabata - even if FF XV will turn out to be a piece of poo poo (it won't :pray:), I'm glad he got a chance to improve on the game and that he cares (or at least makes a very good show of pretending to care) about the players and the game, it feels nice.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Szurumbur posted:

I like Tabata - even if FF XV will turn out to be a piece of poo poo (it won't :pray:), I'm glad he got a chance to improve on the game and that he cares (or at least makes a very good show of pretending to care) about the players and the game, it feels nice.

I think that he legitimately cares about what the players think. He seems to be directing himself based on the idea that if this game is going to succeed it is only because the players decide that it is fun enough to buy, play, tell/show their friends, and play it again and again over the years. The best way to do that is to gather accurate feedback and design your game as much as you can around that feedback. It matters far less what SE "thinks" and I believe he realizes that or at least this is the impression I have been left with and am hoping for. The gods know that SE needs it.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I am a lot less fond of Chrono Cross then I was back in the PS1 days but the entire Dead Sea section remains one of my all time favorite gaming highlights. Just masterful presentation and environment, slight infodump at the end aside.

Also the main combat theme in CC was atrocious. Fantastic soundtrack overall though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Xavier434 posted:

The best way to do that is to gather accurate feedback and design your game as much as you can around that feedback.

The major problem there is that it's very easy for that to turn into a game that tries to please everyone and doesn't actually do anything well because it's based around awkward fan feedback instead of anything else, especially when you're appealing to three + widely diverse audiences. We'll see how it turns out but I worry about it being a case of too many cooks.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 20, 2015

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

don't give the fans what they want. fans are idiots.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Yeah but Square is even dumber so it's still a step up.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

The major problem there is that it's very easy for that to turn into a game that tries to please everyone and doesn't actually do anything well because it's based around awkward fan feedback instead of anything else, especially when you're appealing to three + widely diverse audiences. We'll see how it turns out but I worry about it being a case of too many cooks.

Sure but that is where a good project manager comes in. They are paid the big bucks to try to balance and avoid this sort of problem.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah. And more than anything crowd sourced design is creatively bankrupt. I'd rather a singular vision that maybe falls short than a mildly successful muddle of fan feedback design. Of course , businesses would much rather produce the latter than gamble on the former.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
So far I think the feedback used was more focused on gameplay part? They seem to have core game in mind and any changes to that were met with a wild story of how it wouldn't work, i.e. why four guys only, so they seem to be on a good track. I believe in Tabata.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Yeah the only non-gameplay thing he's budged on is cindy's attire. Otherwise it's just fixing the camera, frames, etc.

Ayana
Jun 29, 2010

Hee-Ho!

Dross posted:

I am usually very tired of it by the time it stops playing.

Yeah, despite being a great song it really wears out it's welcome.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I remember the good old days when drastic changes based around fan feedback happened between each FF title and not within the development of a single one.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
ff15's combat is boring and they dont seem willing to fix it

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
July 12th, 2015

Hello everybody, this is Tabata. In accordance to fan demands feedback, we have decided to go back to the turn based, ATB style gameplay system of the earlier installments in the Final Fantasy series. This will, however, require a complete rewrite of the engine and will delay the release. Expected release has been pushed back to 2021. Please look forward to it.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Gologle posted:

July 12th, 2015

Hello everybody, this is Tabata. In accordance to fan demands feedback, we have decided to go back to the turn based, ATB style gameplay system of the earlier installments in the Final Fantasy series. This will, however, require a complete rewrite of the engine and will delay the release. Expected release has been pushed back to 2021. Please look forward to it.

Noted improvement tbh.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
July 13th, 2015

Hello everybody, this is Tabata. To answer the sudden flow of fan questions, yes, we will also be implementing a Job system, akin that in beloved titles such as Final Fantasy 3, Final Fantasy 3:DS, and Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift. However, in keeping with our pledge to construct "a fantasy based on reality" the Jobs will reflect real life occupations. Please look forward to such entertaining Job combinations as: Pop Idol, Salaryman, High Schooler, Poverty College Student, Janitor, and more. Over 25 new Jobs!

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I was totally on board with the FFXV demo until I had to fight the Behemoth boss. That was some serious bullshit, capped off by failing the escape because the camera kept pointing me at the boss I was supposed to run from instead of the place I was supposed to run to. Combat was weird and confusing but felt like the kind of thing I would get used to eventually.

My only other feedback is that they should have let me steal that winnebago at the ranch and continue the road trip in that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Nihilarian posted:

That one song (the battle theme) is the one you hear the most and is so terrible, it makes you put the TV on mute though.