Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Valeyard posted:

no no no no no no
no no no no no no
no no no no yes no

Mid-right appears the most sensible person out of that collective, remain hidden.

(edit) Sweet, Eero, the spiffy mesh-WiFi network for the home appears to be making progress.

quote:

Shutting down pre-orders
Since we’re getting closer to shipping, we’ll be shutting down pre-orders this Friday, May 22nd. Anyone who hasn’t ordered by then will be able to do so once eero is generally available late this summer.

https://medium.com/wireless-fidelity/pre-order-update-699b7b0e2418

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 00:29 on May 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

jre posted:

Has this been posted yet ?

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/revault-world-s-first-wearable-private-cloud#/story

ReVault: World's First Wearable Private Cloud

ReVault is a new type of storage that gives you the smartness and convenience of the public cloud, and the security of local storage. Store your files locally on ReVault and always access them at the speed of a local network.

ReVault connects to your devices using WiFi and Bluetooth. You can setup your ReVault to auto-backup and auto-synchronize your files across your devices. ReVault is wearable so that you can easily carry your files wherever you go at all times.

:yayclod:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Valeyard posted:

no no no no no no
no no no no no no
no no no no yes no
good for you for keeping your head high and having the courage to ask all of them

pr0zac
Jan 18, 2004

~*lukecagefan69*~

Pillbug

Migishu posted:

it's like the quality of things over the numerous years has gone down the drain or something

am i too late to say mlyp?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
this is probably worse than the death march dude

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

http://voxeljs.com/

epic

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

not mentioned: they will be using bitcoin as a database to track players owning items

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
wait so you need to buy your blocks with bitcoins?

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
gives a whole new meaning to the power of the blockchain

MORE CURLY FRIES
Apr 8, 2004

voxels are volumetric pixels

I'm seeing 'hey we made it look like minecraft'

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

MORE CURLY FRIES posted:

voxels are 'hey we made it look like minecraft'

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

ayn rand hand job posted:

not mentioned: they will be using bitcoin as a database to track players owning items

the whole "stop a mod from banning you because you stole his friend's magic sword" thing sounds like he got banned from a game by a mod and now he has to make his own game, with blackjack, and hookers bitcoins

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sweevo posted:

the whole "stop a mod from banning you because you stole his friend's magic sword" thing sounds like he got banned from a game by a mod and now he has to make his own game, with blackjack, and hookers bitcoins
my tf2 hats :qq:

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

anthonypants posted:

voxels are 'hey we made it look like minecraft'

you can use voxels for terrain rendering and other things, but the minecraft cargo cult has pretty much made them synonymous with giant Lego block programmer art

so if you want to do volumetric pixels I guess you better come up with a term that hasn't been coopted by assholes

i suggest "trixels"

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Vlad the Retailer posted:

you can use voxels for terrain rendering and other things, but the minecraft cargo cult has pretty much made them synonymous with giant Lego block programmer art

so if you want to do volumetric pixels I guess you better come up with a term that hasn't been coopted by assholes

i suggest "trixels"

they said that sid meier's alpha centauri used voxels, but i don't know what to look for in order to tell :shrug:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

they said that sid meier's alpha centauri used voxels, but i don't know what to look for in order to tell :shrug:

i remember comanche being a very pretty voxel game and then they used that engine in delta something

pretty for a 486 vga game i mean

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i suggest "trixels"

trixel my voxel

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/05/what-if-everybody-didnt-have-to-work-to-get-paid/393428/

quote:

Unlike most crowdfunders, Santens is not asking for seed money for a specific project, like a tech startup, a nonprofit organization, or a feature film. Nor is he asking for money for a specific problem like unpaid medical bills. He’s asking for free money to live his life. Any additional money that he crowdfunds, above $1,000 per month, will be donated to other basic-income activists who are doing the same thing. However, he will keep other money that he earns from working as a freelance writer. He says the same thing would happen with a government-funded basic income: People would keep the additional money they earn from their jobs.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

prefect posted:

this guy uses voxels :shrug:
http://procworld.blogspot.com

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I ended up watching that 45 minute youtube video of the guy talking about how he made voxeljs, last night lol

it's actually kinda cool, he literally deep dived into every existing github repo that contained the phrase "minecraft" that had its main language as javascript, and then frankensteined this thing together pretty quickly

It doesnt really work very well, but still cool

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

after reading the article, i have decided this is actually good.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
javascript implementations of ken silverman's voxlap / PND3D would be pretty nifty and a lot more flexible than "minecraft clone #3982394832"

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

or is that what you meant

i don't speak Reaction Gif

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

daft punk railroad posted:

javascript implementations of ken silverman's voxlap / PND3D would be pretty nifty and a lot more flexible than "minecraft clone #3982394832"

Um excuse me, if you'll read the game Kickstarter thread til you'll see that this is actually a good project

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner
oh ok my bad

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

why kickstarter? why not one of the services that don't require you to hit your goal to get money? or patreon?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i closed that tab immediately after "a worldwide network of thousands of advocates (26,000 on Reddit alone)"

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Valeyard posted:

it's actually kinda cool, he literally deep dived into every existing github repo that contained the phrase "minecraft" that had its main language as javascript, and then frankensteined this thing together pretty quickly

hahaha nice

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

guaranteed minimum income? yes, good idea
guaranteed minimum income for white middle class man in trilby, crowd funded? good to see money going where needed, and totally scaleable.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

speaking of voxels, I wonder what happened to UNLIMITED DETAIL

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

wasn't the upshot of that a. totally static pre rendered world?

sounds like a hoot

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Voxels are really cool for that

However, lol if you need to do the math to rotate an object

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

syscall girl posted:

wasn't the upshot of that a. totally static pre rendered world?

sounds like a hoot

yeah, basically - all their demo videos were flythrough stuff, and everybody crawling out of the woodwork to hail it as the Next Thing in vidcon graphics seemed to freeze up whenever animation was mentioned

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

prefect posted:

why kickstarter? why not one of the services that don't require you to hit your goal to get money? or patreon?

it is patreon.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

yeah, basically - all their demo videos were flythrough stuff, and everybody crawling out of the woodwork to hail it as the Next Thing in vidcon graphics seemed to freeze up whenever animation was mentioned

no, it's a really good thing to have to perform a rotation operation on every single particle making up an object, rather than on a bunch of polygons making up the object

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

was that the thing where everything looked like my posts?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

NoneMoreNegative posted:

guaranteed minimum income? yes, good idea
guaranteed minimum income for white middle class man in trilby, crowd funded? good to see money going where needed, and totally scaleable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mincome
http://public.econ.duke.edu/~erw/197/forget-cea%20(2).pdf

An experiment that was successful but didn't take off in government because lol

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

a guaranteed minimum income would fix so many problems that it will never happen

although i do think that a way to get people to support it is to make clear that it will be for everybody, regardless of wealth or income, as opposed to a needs-based welfare program. that cuts out a lot of the racism and 'what about me'

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

if i had any extra money i'd put like a hundred bucks a month toward supporting people making cool poo poo on patreon. sadly i have negative money at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

no, it's a really good thing to have to perform a rotation operation on every single particle making up an object, rather than on a bunch of polygons making up the object

haha, is that really the only possible solution for voxel animation? because fuuuck that

Boxturret posted:

was that the thing where everything looked like my posts?

if your posts are elaborate yet lifeless dioramas: yes

• Locked thread