Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Libluini posted:

That's kind of a thing with Grandia. Parts I and II also had good combat systems, but rather bland stories with no surprises. Grandia is a series where you fight monsters while enyoing the pretty graphics, while also trying your hardest not to roll your eyes at every cut scene. Grandia II is the best part of the series, since the protagonist is incredibly sarcastic, which fits my own reaction to a Grandia-storyline perfectly.

I dunno, I find the stories of Grandia 1 and 2 to be pretty charming. Cliche yes, but nostalgic. Especially 1, which captures the sense of adventure JRPGs had back in the 16 bit days that are lacking in todays JRPGs. 3's story was pretty bad even by those standards though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

Grandia III a real puzzle for me. It's probably one of the better looking PS2 games (models aside), the combat is the best version of Grandia combat but the story and characters just drag it down so badly. I have never been able to finish it because it's just so boring in comparison to 1 and 2.

The big problem is seriously that they wave a more interesting plot in your face. Hanging out with Action Mom and her Han Solo Boy Toy is a lot more interesting than the boring dochebags you get afterwards.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I dunno, I find the stories of Grandia 1 and 2 to be pretty charming. Cliche yes, but nostalgic. Especially 1, which captures the sense of adventure JRPGs had back in the 16 bit days that are lacking in todays JRPGs. 3's story was pretty bad even by those standards though.

Charming and bland are not really mutually exclusive. Clichés can be good. It's just normally you don't go and play a Grandia-game for it's story.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I liked Grandia 1's story because it just felt like a really upbeat adventure/coming of age story. It's fluff but fun. I wish they could jam Grandia 3's system into a game like that.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Libluini posted:

Charming and bland are not really mutually exclusive.

Ni no Kuni comes to mind.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I can't believe I've gotten a third of the way through wild arms, especially when the combat has like almost nothing to it

fire gun meteor dive armor down fire gun meteor dive heal fire gun meteor dive heal exp gella run run run run slam into wall

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Haven't played Wild Arms and never will but the music in it is really nice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MQRL7xws7w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAy6qk8rl5I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSOvrM20tMA
(The composer must have really liked The Good, The Bad And The Ugly)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

I can't believe I've gotten a third of the way through wild arms, especially when the combat has like almost nothing to it

fire gun meteor dive armor down fire gun meteor dive heal fire gun meteor dive heal exp gella run run run run slam into wall

I feel like WA is carried by its dungeons. They're not the best dungeons ever but they're a step above the usual RPG fare.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Wild Arms has some pretty nice puzzle dungeons, it's true. It sort of reminds me of Lufia II in that respect, although it's infinitely more bland.

I kind of miss dumb 16 bit RPG block puzzles, truth be told.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Well yeah but you can throw a rat at treasure chests

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

At least I have some PS2 jerpigs to go to when this is done. Ys Ark and Suik 3 and Legaia 2. I'll take anything with at least one modern amenity. Wild ARMs doesn't even heal you at save points. And no one's sold MP-replenishing items in the entire first third of the game.

Which means random encounters you're best off just mashing basic attack over and over or else you'll be hosed when you reach a boss.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
There's always Wild arms3

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

At least I have some PS2 jerpigs...Ys Ark

HEY ADOL, WE'RE REALLY SAILING AWAY

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

At least I have some PS2 jerpigs to go to when this is done. Ys Ark and Suik 3 and Legaia 2. I'll take anything with at least one modern amenity. Wild ARMs doesn't even heal you at save points. And no one's sold MP-replenishing items in the entire first third of the game.

Which means random encounters you're best off just mashing basic attack over and over or else you'll be hosed when you reach a boss.

I wouldn't play Suiko 3 unless you really enjoy savescumming a lottery.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Wild Arms 2 gets rid of MP entirely. It was actually one of the first series to do so.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I played suikoden 3 only a couple of years ago and I barely remember anything about it, other than the battles being really awkward with how characters would run around to attack each turn.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Clarste posted:

Wild Arms 2 gets rid of MP entirely. It was actually one of the first series to do so.

Unfortunately it also introduced the bullshit mechanic that is searching for towns and dungeons on the world map.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

TARDISman posted:

Unfortunately it also introduced the bullshit mechanic that is searching for towns and dungeons on the world map.
You have to do it in Wild Arms 1 too actually, there's one dungeon that's not only hidden in the desert but it warps around every couple of seconds so you have to literally play 'hotter/colder' until you find it

There was another dungeon in the desert too that was hidden but it didn't warp around at least

Also the minimap is literally an item you have to use from the item menu, making it worthless

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Nate RFB posted:

I played suikoden 3 only a couple of years ago and I barely remember anything about it, other than the battles being really awkward with how characters would run around to attack each turn.

I played Suikoden 3 back when it came out and I remember everything about it because it's awkward but awesome.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
I remember ducks and lizardmen and awful combat which honestly seems like a fair assessment. Head and shoulders about Suiko 4 any day.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

You have to do it in Wild Arms 1 too actually, there's one dungeon that's not only hidden in the desert but it warps around every couple of seconds so you have to literally play 'hotter/colder' until you find it

There was another dungeon in the desert too that was hidden but it didn't warp around at least

Also the minimap is literally an item you have to use from the item menu, making it worthless

I don't remember that, which dungeons were they?

Also, yeah, minimap being an item was total bullshit.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

How does recruitment even work in Suiko 3 with the three different protagonists? Do the people you recruit with one character just stick with them until the routes all come together, or do you ever have to recruit someone more than once?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

dmboogie posted:

How does recruitment even work in Suiko 3 with the three different protagonists? Do the people you recruit with one character just stick with them until the routes all come together, or do you ever have to recruit someone more than once?

Some people you can recruit with multiple characters, but that recruit will only be available for that character until they all come together, which is like 2/3rds of the way through the game. If you want to prioritize, Thomas < Hugo < Chris < Geddoe as far as character strengths are concerned, so try to give the most to Thomas. Note that Thomas is like, mostly optional though.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

Wait, holy poo poo I've seriously spent how many years thinking people were referring to Grandia Xtreme as Grandia III holy poo poo there's actually a Grandia III

Don't worry too much, they're both terrible games.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

TARDISman posted:

I don't remember that, which dungeons were they?

Also, yeah, minimap being an item was total bullshit.
Pleasing Gardens is the one that warps around. Trust me there's a lot about Wild Arms that is forgettable, I'm not surprised you wouldn't remember. It hasn't aged super great.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Pleasing Gardens is the one that warps around. Trust me there's a lot about Wild Arms that is forgettable, I'm not surprised you wouldn't remember. It hasn't aged super great.

Yeah, most of my fondness is for the music and battle models.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Levantine posted:

I liked Grandia 1's story because it just felt like a really upbeat adventure/coming of age story. It's fluff but fun. I wish they could jam Grandia 3's system into a game like that.

Yeah, I started Grandia 1 without knowing basically anything about it and was immediately interested by the story being actually about kids having kid adventures instead of "kids" having "kid adventures" that somehow involve saving the world anyway. Justin even has a home and a parent (two parents would be asking for too much, really), that he returns to daily, and has normal chatter with his mom while eating dinner! It's amazingly refreshing, really.

The other thing that immediately grabbed me was the hilariously obvious (probably intentionally?) find/replace job of "alcohol" to "coffee". There's a "cafe" in town which is only open at night, and you aren't allowed to go in. And Sue's dad is a coffee addict.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

GrandpaPants posted:

Note that Thomas is like, mostly optional though.

iirc shopkeeper-type recruits will appear at the castle for everyone to use once you get them. The game seems to keep a really close track of the timeline though, so recruits might not be available when you think they will be because you accidentally recruited them "later" in someone else's chapter. Also if you get a <material> hammer as anyone who isn't Geddoe or Thomas, soft reset because they're the only characters who are able to recruit the blacksmith before Chapter 4 :downs:

I think Suikoden 3 is an okay game, but it's burdened by the terrible design decisions that constantly assault you from every direction:
- Unbeatable bosses
- Overpowered bosses who are beatable but then just poo poo-talk you for winning and kill you
- Unwinnable scenarios that you have to survive for x turns in but have enemies who are poorly balanced and can easily wipe you out before you even get halfway to the survival target
- Ridiculously high encounter rate in high-traffic areas that you'll be passing through quite a bit
- Terrible pathing in combat that leads to your fighters getting stuck in infinite loops fairly reliably
- Constant frame rate issues
- Let's make one of the recruits require you to bring the girl who teleports you places, and she can't warp you while she's in your party!

There's a good game underneath it, but it's like Konami was actively trying to make it hard to find.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 09:48 on May 21, 2015

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
The story, characters and graphics in 3 are pretty great, it is just that every other aspect ranges from barely adequate to complete garbage.

Edit: Suikoden 3, I mean.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Again, I'm playing Wild Arms, whose combat engine dips to 7-8 FPS at times, a PS2 RPG is not gonna have anything on that

e: not just framerate issue but the game speed slows down as well lol

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Again, I'm playing Wild Arms, whose combat engine dips to 7-8 FPS at times, a PS2 RPG is not gonna have anything on that

lol you have no idea

Seriously, S3's engine is so bad that the game dips to 7-8 FPS printing text.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

In the most massive reflective floor scenes of Suiko 5 you can see individual frames as textboxes appear and vanish. The whole PS2 gen of the series was horribly optimised.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I'm still amazed that there even was a 5th suikoden after 4.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Serious Frolicking posted:

I'm still amazed that there even was a 5th suikoden after 4.

the most amazing thing is that it was actually really good

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Million Ghosts posted:

I remember ducks and lizardmen and awful combat which honestly seems like a fair assessment. Head and shoulders about Suiko 4 any day.

That's the funny thing, as awkward and directionless Suikoden 3 was, its no where near the abomination of its direct prequel. Like if you want to make a case that Konami had designs to sabotage Suikoden and didn't even want to speak of Tieketris or that PSP game, 4 is pretty much everything that could ever go wrong streamlined into one perfect turd of a title. Its like the perfect Lucas Prequel of a video game that is completely botched from beginning to end.

Paperhouse posted:

the most amazing thing is that it was actually really good

To be fair, that isn't even a low bar to jump over. It's buried six feet into the earth along with the rest of the franchise.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you want to make a case that konami decided to sabotage a semi-popular series and did so by pouring hundreds of thousands of dollars, several years of work, and dozens upon dozens of employees into a project, then you're a loving moron

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like konami owns the rights to suikoden

if they, for some insane reason, didn't want there to be any more suikoden games, they could have just said 'no.' tierkries especially speaks to a desire for the series to be popular: it's almost a complete reboot. you reboot franchises that have fallen off the map but still have some potential, you don't reboot something that you want to stay dead and buried.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Given that we're dealing with Konami, I'd say Hanlon's Razor definitely applies.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
They didn't have the money to gamble with another Metal Gear game and Silent Hill so they went along with it for several years until they had to cancel it. Of course they don't have the loving foresight to see garbage when its still being developed and either attempt to save or stop it from releasing as poo poo, they willingly published Suikoden 4 and Lords of Shadow 2.

The bitter jokes just numb the pain that the franchise died so pathetically. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Battles will go faster if you change the camera angle in the options. You can set it to have a traditional overhead view and it'll not pause for critical hits and also cycle through turns faster since it's not doing dynamic pans over the super-aged 3D models.